Author Topic: Nintendo DS Launch Details  (Read 34296 times)

Offline CHEN

• These peas taste AWESOME
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Nintendo DS Launch Details
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2004, 05:29:03 AM »
Yes, I also guess that Nintendo developed Metroid Prime: Hunters for the multiplayer. There's no way they could have designed a full-fledged Metroid game so quickly. And including it with every DS is an excellent strategy.

The $149.99 price point is excellent. Although I still need an extra job to buy all the things I want this year.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Nintendo DS Launch Details
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2004, 05:37:02 AM »

There's no way they could have designed a full-fledged Metroid game so quickly. And including it with every DS is an excellent strategy

Why?  When we saw Metroid Prime at E3, all they had done was the stupid space station.  If they could pull that off on GameCube in six months, I'm sure they could do it again on the DS.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2004, 05:51:46 AM »
$149.99?  Awesome.  God bless you Nintendo, God bless you.  My favorite line in the press release is:

The new media format for games means that Nintendo DS has no moving parts that could be misaligned if the unit is dropped or jarred.

Take THAT Sony PSP and UMD.

Man, it's going to be an expensive Christmas.  This is what I already have on pre-order:

• Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
  • Halo 2
  • Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

...and soon to be added to that list are the Nintendo DS and probably 2 games.  Holy crap, that's almost $400 right there.  That's not even counting other games I may buy like Tales of Symphonia, Burnout 3 and Prince of Persia: Warrior Within.  BRING IT ON!!

silks
  • Jon Lindemann
    Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: September 21, 2004, 06:38:02 AM »
    Nintendo! You made me ink!

Holy crap, this is outstanding. What else can I say? I can't wait to see the launch line-up.
    "Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline CHEN

• These peas taste AWESOME
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: September 21, 2004, 06:54:58 AM »

Originally posted by: Bloodworth

There's no way they could have designed a full-fledged Metroid game so quickly. And including it with every DS is an excellent strategy

Why?  When we saw Metroid Prime at E3, all they had done was the stupid space station.  If they could pull that off on GameCube in six months, I'm sure they could do it again on the DS.

Well, Retro Studios is only developing one game, while Nintendo has dozens. And designing balanced levels for Metroid while maintaining the possibility to sequence break is no easy task. I meant that it's not very likely to see a full Metroid Hunters game at launch, so that's why they're adding a multplayer demo. We'll see the game when it's definitely ready.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • Score: 28
      • View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: September 21, 2004, 06:57:11 AM »
    "First Hunt" definitely sounds like a demo. Perhaps it's a short singleplayer game and a few MP maps. At least the latter HAS to be in. That would mean every DS owner could play deathmatch and since everyone has the game they can practice at home. Of course, that'd be more effective with bot support for those who don't live near other DS owners...

Offline MysticGohan24

• OUTSTANDING!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: September 21, 2004, 06:57:52 AM »
    Sounds fun to me, It's looking even more enticing than before. I'm so gonna get the DS. I hope they will talk more about the feature where you can play other players from Long Distance. ( like in another time zone )
    What happens, happens ~Spike Cowboy bebop

Hey Shippo your village called, they're missing their idiot. ~Inuyasha

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • Score: 4
      • View Profile
      • PaleHour
    « Reply #32 on: September 21, 2004, 07:02:41 AM »
    Any chance on the hunter pack in being built into the system like pictochat?  That would be pretty cool too, cause then no matter what, if you found some random ds in range you would have at least one game you could play...
    :: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
    ---------------------
    :: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • Score: 2
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: September 21, 2004, 07:30:48 AM »
    Well, Nintendo is definitely taking PSP seriously, and I'm glad to see it!  Now all we need is a good launch lineup...I was planning to wait for a price drop before buying a DS, but I'm starting to change my mind.
    That's my opinion, not yours.
    Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • Score: 1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: September 21, 2004, 07:33:48 AM »
    I'm just wowed.  It's been a while since Nintendo really looked on the ball regarding a launch.  With the N64 and Gamecube there were flaws that could be seen a hundred miles away that did turn out to be big problems.  Even the GBA had the problem that the screen wasn't very visible (though thanks to no competition that didn't really affect things).

But with the DS Nintendo is just nailing it.  We were afraid these promises of new types of games would limit the DS' ability to play old style games.  No problem.  They designed it to accomodate every type of game and made it incredibly flexible.  Some people didn't think it looked as nice as the PSP.  So they changed the case design to something much sexier.  When we all saw Pictochat we said it HAD to be built in or there would be no point and sure enough it's built in.  Now we know that the price is reasonable, it's launching on time, and that it even comes with a pack-in title.  Sure it's probably just a demo but who cares.  That's a BRILLIANT move.  Okay so the DS can't play GB/GBC games or play GBA multiplayer but those are minor points.  The DS is still on track to have a 95% perfect launch.  All we need are the games.

The best thing is that Nintendo didn't NEED to go to this trouble.  They're the portable market leader.  They can afford to rest on their laurels.  Instead they've gone the extra mile and are making the DS a legimate super portable to crush the competition.  They're earning their victory unlike say the PS2 which Sony knew was a sure winner and have half-assed it because they can.

I think this is great for the Revolution.  If Nintendo has the same attention to detail with the Revolution's launch.  The same developer flexibility, the same everything-out-of-the-box design, a pack-in game, the same good price they can make the Rev a serious competitor.  One that doesn't get ignored and actually puts some pressure on Sony.

I'm now very excited about seeing the DS launch lineup.  Don't let me down Nintendo.

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
      • View Profile
      • Minkmultimedia
    « Reply #35 on: September 21, 2004, 07:37:31 AM »
    I have a theory on the more expensive launch price. Nintendo up to this point have been launching first in Japan, with a $20+ higher price point then when it came to the US weeks/months latter. And within months of the US launch cutting the price down in Japan. And now it happens here when they release it first in the US it falls in the about $20.00 higher catagory.

That probally means they are trying to quickly recoup the R&D costs from the early adopters and having more money to help ramp up production to release it else where. And then bring it down to an average price. And they released it in the US first since they have a higher chance of selling more at this higher rate, and thus giving Japan the lower the rate first.

So this is probally what will happen we will see a price drop around the time the PSP comes out and it will be in the area of what the Japanese price. (More than likely $125.00) And any other price cuts after that depends on the penetration the PSP makes.

Remember this is just speculation.
    Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
    • NWR Staff Pro
    • Score: 14
      • View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: September 21, 2004, 08:42:04 AM »
    Hmmm, this makes me wonder what Nintendo's October 7th announcement is going to be about.  I'm assuming that's when they will announce the launch lineup, as well as the retail price of games (something I'm very interested in - I doubt the $49.99-per-game price will stick).

silks
    Jon Lindemann
    Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Jdub03

• Bert Stanton speaking.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: September 21, 2004, 08:45:45 AM »
    What are the game prices going to be.  Thats what im interested in.  Im really not willing to spend 45 to 50 bucks on a hand held, unless its really worth it.
    How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
    « Reply #38 on: September 21, 2004, 09:35:29 AM »
    The GC MP wasn't basically done in the last 6 months, just because they only showed the Space Station.  That's all they felt confident about showing, among other reasons.  MP:Hunters single player couldn't be done so fast because they have to do the whole story, planning, etc.  And they might have to keep in mind the story from MP2, barring when MPH time is set.  Anyways off to the good stuff.  

The DS at $150 is a perfect price point, the release date is right on the money, get those turkey shoppers hoo haa.  The budget for marketing the system at $40 million is the biggest ever Nintendo has spent for any system they've made, also good news.  Pictochat and MPH demo included also great thinking by Nintendo, although I'll probably never get to utilize either of those.  And I'm sure having the packins be multi player only will get people to try and convince their friends to get the DS so they can enjoy the two pack ins.  

October 7 will be the day they announce the software for the system as well as software pricing.  Games will probably cost $35.  Also to note is that Nintendo is putting 12,000 DS demo consoles at retailers for the launch, including some spots with 2 DS systems for people to try the multiplayer out.  Also of note is that Nintendo will produce 4 million systems by March, up from the previous quota of 3.5 million.  

The reason the DS is launching in NA first and Japan later is because the holiday shopping seasons for each country is different.  People buy gifts for Xmas in the US and people in Japan buy gifts around New Years.  As for it being cheaper in Japan, I'd say that's because the market isn't doing as well as NA's (videogame market).  

All in all this is great news from Nintendo, looks like they're finally committing to a successful launch in every aspect possible.  The only sour note out of everything, is that battery life has been lowered from a solid 10 hours to 6-10 based on application.  That's one thing that helps the PSP in the area that many see as it's achilles heel.  

Kudos to Nintendo, I thought they should have a pack in when I first heard of the system, actually I thought GC should've too, I think any new console should have a pack in of some type, it really helps.  The marketing and everything they're doing are going to ensure they have a good run vs the PSP.  Now the only thing that matters is the launch titles.  Will they be as great as the DS console news heard today 'round the world?  We'll find out real soon.

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: September 21, 2004, 09:37:20 AM »
    DP Error  

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • Score: 34
      • View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: September 21, 2004, 10:17:23 AM »
    "The only sour note out of everything, is that battery life has been lowered from a solid 10 hours to 6-10 based on application."

Why everyone thinks this is a bad thing is beyond me...Think about it...The SP has a single front-lit screen...The DS has TWO, BACK-LIT screens...Big difference with a small difference in battery life(not to mention that the wireless play most likely drains the DS)
    ~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline b0rg

• View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: September 21, 2004, 11:24:11 AM »
    Hey all..

I am a little confused about the WiFi/Multiplayer.  Will you be able to link up over the internet and play anybody online around the world, or is this strictly for playing with someone next to you?

Thanks!

Offline nyenyec

• View Profile
    « Reply #42 on: September 21, 2004, 11:31:51 AM »
    Does the DS support the GBA/GC link cable?
    I've been holding out on buying multiplayer connectivity games like Four Swords Adventures and Chrystal Chronicles until I buy another handheld.
    So will I be able to play them with the DS?

Thanks,
    Nyenyec

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • Score: 11
      • View Profile
    « Reply #43 on: September 21, 2004, 11:38:25 AM »
    Nintendo win.

I am convinced that the gamecube is the greatest console ever released.   And the DS is my most anticipated console ever.  And it WILL be the best console ever.

I am piss. <3
    kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Renny

• Satin
      • View Profile
    « Reply #44 on: September 21, 2004, 11:42:41 AM »
    I had actually been thinking about picking up a PS2 this seasonal season.... Screw that, I'll just borrow my brother's. This is a guaranteed purchase now. They've taken Sony seriously this time, as they should have. And it looks like they're going to create an incredible console. Yeah, I said it--handhelds are consoles too, and I'm sure the media will start reporting it that way too.

Shame about battery time, though. That seems to put it just above what the PSP's is said to be. Edging out sub-standard is less than good. This would've bothered me before, but when virtually everything else is right, it seems irrelevant.

Anyway, great job Nintendo. :¬D
    "... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • Score: 11
      • View Profile
    « Reply #45 on: September 21, 2004, 11:46:19 AM »
    ohsrry
    kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • Score: 34
      • View Profile
    « Reply #46 on: September 21, 2004, 11:53:34 AM »
    "Will you be able to link up over the internet and play anybody online around the world, or is this strictly for playing with someone next to you?"

Noone really knows for sure yet...Most likely it will eventually, but probably not to start off...

"Does the DS support the GBA/GC link cable?"

Nope...
    ~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
    « Reply #47 on: September 21, 2004, 12:00:57 PM »
    Sweet Metroid Demo and Picto Chat? 150 dollars? Uber Sweet... Ive got mine pre ordered already....

Disapointed that Metroid Prime Hunters isnt a launch titles, but ias long as they get a good long single player to go with the multiplayer then its alll good

Now we just need some Launch titles... and lots of em  

Offline Renny

• Satin
      • View Profile
    « Reply #48 on: September 21, 2004, 12:06:49 PM »
    Also the 'virtual surround' is an interesting surprise. Is this going to be a quality Aureal-type psychoacoustic deal? Or the half-assed kind thrown in with DVD players and TVs?

Oh, and bite me Creative.
    "... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
      • View Profile
    « Reply #49 on: September 21, 2004, 12:08:49 PM »
    This makes me think if 6hours is the min battery life for the Ds then how can the psp possibly last longer than 3 hours with moving parts and a huge screen. Mabye the battery is as big as the unit itself. This looks good for the Ds.

Not that any will belive but Madden2005 is a lunch title and you tap the touch to throw the ball and make hot routes with the stylus. Confirmed!
    Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130