Author Topic: Super Mario 3D Land  (Read 24920 times)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
Super Mario 3D Land
« on: April 21, 2011, 03:52:27 PM »
Surprised there hasn't been a topic about this game yet. Have to say I am getting excited after the latest news.

http://www.1up.com/news/super-mario-3ds-combines-galaxy-mario-64-e3

"It's a combination of Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario on N64," said Miyamoto in London today, Edge reports. "It won't convey the message if I talk to you today, but if you play it at E3 that will give you more understanding of what I'm talking about."

« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 03:56:05 PM by GoldenPhoenix »
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
Re: Super Mario 3DS
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 04:17:11 PM »
That's an interesting description, given the two are similar in terms of mechanics, mostly.
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 04:19:52 PM »
If that means more open-ended worlds, then BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 04:24:32 PM »
I have this fear that what he means is that they're going to recycle levels from both games to make a "new" game.  That would be literally a combination of the two games.

I like both the Galaxy style linear levels and the 64 style open worlds.  So for Mario to offer both types of levels in the same game would be fine with me.  Seems like a logical place to take the series.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 04:41:31 PM »
Super Mario 64 DS with the Ghost and Bee suit with the Hidden levels in SMS :D
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 04:43:41 PM »
I have this fear that what he means is that they're going to recycle levels from both games to make a "new" game.  That would be literally a combination of the two games.

I like both the Galaxy style linear levels and the 64 style open worlds.  So for Mario to offer both types of levels in the same game would be fine with me.  Seems like a logical place to take the series.

I was actually thinking along those lines, that it would offer more open style worlds which I love.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 09:42:32 PM »
I SM64 you were given an open level and could usually find most of the stars no matter which you chose at the level select screen.  In Galaxy you really only tried to find that one star, and the level would often change significantly depending on your choice.  A combination of Galaxy-inspired environments with SM64-styled discovery would be pretty awesome.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 10:04:19 PM »
I SM64 you were given an open level and could usually find most of the stars no matter which you chose at the level select screen.  In Galaxy you really only tried to find that one star, and the level would often change significantly depending on your choice.  A combination of Galaxy-inspired environments with SM64-styled discovery would be pretty awesome.

Super Mario Sunshine did the one star at a time thing as well with the level design changing. Anyway it should be interesting to see what exactly Miyamoto is talking about.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 10:46:12 PM »
Maybe he's talking about multiplayer :P
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 07:41:15 PM »
Few more details about the game was revealed by Miyamoto in a Paris interview.
Super Mario 3D will be a combination of Super Mario Bros 64,Galaxy, and New Super Mario Bros.
Will be fully unveiled at E3 2011.
It will feature a camera system slightly like the one in Super Mario 64.

The combination of 64,Galaxy and New Super Mario Bros kinda sounds like what they did in Galaxy 2 where some parts were in 2D mixed in with 3D stages. Maybe there will be some sort of local multiplayer as well as single player.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Despicable

• Score: -10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 08:30:57 PM »
Hmm Is it just me or does this game look like a remake of Super Mario 64 or Super Mario Galaxy.
Dad I'm in Space

I'm Proud of You Son

Dad are you in Space?

Yes now we are Family again.

Offline rad.i.kal

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • Scribble People
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 07:53:30 PM »
Multiplayer would be a cool thing.

I am so excited for this game

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 07:23:09 PM »
I'm looking forward to this game a lot! Why is no one mentioning the return of the tanooki suit? I would be a little disapointed (and I stress 'a little') if the entire game was wrapped around the tanooki suit, but I'd love it were as readily available as a fire flower.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 04:32:00 PM »
I'm looking forward to this game a lot! Why is no one mentioning the return of the tanooki suit? I would be a little disapointed (and I stress 'a little') if the entire game was wrapped around the tanooki suit, but I'd love it were as readily available as a fire flower.

Do we know it is the Tanooki suit? I thought there was some conjecture as to whether it is that or the raccoon suit. Either way it rocks (Tanooki would be interesting because turning into a statue could make for some interesting puzzles!)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Super Mario 3D Land
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2011, 12:31:14 PM »
There might be an older topic for this game but it's not in the past 2 pages so I'm too lazy to look for it.

I held off on getting too far into Zelda so I could complete 3D Land since I didn't want to spend $40 on another game I wouldn't go back and finish as often happens when I buy more than 1 game within a reasonable amount of time. This game is amazing. No one is really talking about 3D Land. It's odd to see a brand new Mario game get eclipsed, even by Zelda.

3D Land is the game I would have expected Super Mario 64 to have been. It's seems like the natural and logical step to bringing a 2D series into 3D. It's the direction I think almost any other developer would have taken, instead of blazing a trail like Super Mario 64 did. We'll never how different gaming history would have been had Nintendo gone in this direction instead of Super Mario 64. However, I think 3D Land benefits greatly from being released in 2011 rather than 1996. A lot of the game's charm comes from nostalgia, from being 21 years removed from Super Mario Bros. 3 instead of 6 (in the US). More importantly, it's obvious that the developers have learned so much from the progression of 3D Mario games, from Super Mario 64 to Super Mario Sunshine and finally Super Mario Galaxy. That said, I don't think 3D Land would have been as polished had it come out in 1996.

I think Nintendo had to struggle with the camera in past Mario games before realizing that taking camera controls away from the player actually makes the game better. The player can focus on the game rather than jangling with the camera. The camera never broke the game but there were definitely moments when it made things far more difficult than it had to be. I guess that's the nature of 3D games. There's only once instance in Super Mario 3D Land where I wanted to backhand someone because the camera angle sucked. It's in the very last level of the game.

I don't have any serious issues with the game. With the Special World levels, the game is a good length and I wouldn't have said this without them. The game is fun, it controls very well, and it has the best look of any 3D Mario game. The colors aren't as bright as the New Super Mario Bros. series and the art direction is kind of a mix between Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario Galaxy (naturally) which I think works really well.

Unlocking Luigi is a nice bonus, but the only purpose that serves is to artificially extend the length of the game and unlock the final level of the game in the most asinine manner possible:completing every level of the game with both Mario and Luigi with all of the Star Medals and the gold flags. As far as I know, you get nothing for all of that trouble though I haven't beaten the last level with Luigi or had the patience for it. That level is so fucking hard. It took over 2 hours to beat it. There's this jump about 2/5 of the way through the level where the camera is positioned behind you and you have to land on Toad standing on a single block then use him to jump to a higher platform. That was one of the most difficult jumps in any 3D platformer ever. Literally, EVER. The rest of the level is not nearly as difficult as that one jump. The game doesn't ever prepare you to make that jump because you never have to make a similar jump in any other level of the game.

Still, that's the worst thing I can say about Super Mario 3D land which at that point in my experience with the game is inconsequential. I wish there was some reward for all of that besides a "Thank You for Playing" message. Additionally, the Special Word levels where you're chased by Shadow Mario are annoying but not impossible. He chases you but the trick is that he literally copies everything you do so as long as you don't stop or double back, you should be fine. In the future, Nintendo absolutely must have Mario launch with their systems, especially if they're going to be this amazing. They need to time these releases better because having nothing at launch and then Zelda, Star Fox, Mario and Mario Kart coming out in a 6 month span is ridiculous. Anyway, for anyone who has a 3DS, there's no reason not to buy 3D Land unless you have some strong aversion to fun.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Super Mario 3D Land
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2011, 03:06:22 PM »
3D Land is an amazing game. And I understand what you're saying about the length. If it wasn't for the Special World levels I would've felt ripped off. As such, I've been going through that with Luigi which makes the game wonderfully challenging, especially on the Shadow Mario levels. I haven't gotten all the way to very end yet, but I'm looking forward to the last level. Although what you said about having to beat all the stages with both bros with all the medals and gold flags sounds a bit intimidating. I've been doing well in that regard so far. I even went back with Luigi and got some of the medals I missed in the regular levels and even in the Special World I've been getting most of them. I think I even got all of them in World S3. However, this sounds absolutely tedious to back and do everything with both bros.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2011, 06:57:50 PM »
Nintendo has surprised me with a few of its games this generation. Galaxy 2, 3D Land, and Skyward sword all under whelmed me after the first trailer or first play through at a con or something. But man I am very surprised how much I love this game!

I love(hate) how Nintendo let's us play with the Tonooki suit during the credits. Could have been a whole world like that. Is there?
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2011, 08:28:08 PM »
I just finished 5-2 and I thought that level was gonna make me cross-eyed.

p.s. That is the top down level where you jump up at screen alot.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 11:54:21 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2011, 11:58:10 PM »
The one that seems like it's in a pyramid with the Zelda sound effect? I loved that one. I almost timed out because I just kept jumping on the blocks in the first room.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2011, 12:29:59 AM »
That's the part that made me fell like I was about to go cross eyed.
I just kept jumping on that first block over and over again. My eyes refused to adjust to it.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2011, 01:02:31 AM »
I really want the game, but most of our budget is going towards stuff like bills. I had to save up just to get Skyward Sword. It was not an easy choice, but went with Zelda over this because of the game length.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2011, 01:46:02 AM »
My Zelda came today. Now it sits in it's box staring at me as I refuse to open it until I finish SM3DL.

I just got to World 6.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2011, 07:24:08 AM »
I just finished the main campaign, and one hell of a final boss battle. Simply calling this the best game on the 3DS is an understatement; it's one of the best I've ever played period. Now on to the post-game content, which everyone says is the best part.

EDIT: I declared this the greatest game ever made after world 1. Three levels into Special World and I'm starting to think that may not have been the hyperbole I intended it to be.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 07:55:52 AM by NWR_insanolord »
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2011, 05:53:32 PM »
The rooms with the 3D puzzles and some of those cloud areas are the best part. The 3DS was made for stuff like that because it simply wouldn't have worked as well without it. Turning the 3D when trying to play those sections actually resulted in confusion and failure on my part.

You simply can't say enough about this game.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2011, 06:34:58 PM »
what's the deal with the puzzle rooms that have just a coin, and then every time you jump, there is a coin box.

Am I supposed to be looking for something or trying to hit all the boxes?