Author Topic: Playing Guitar  (Read 7458 times)

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
Re: Playing Guitar
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2011, 10:18:58 PM »
I had only ever heard of about five or six of the songs in that video. Regardless, it was pretty entertaining. It actually reminded me of the pop song polkas that Weird Al does.

I was hoping to hear from Ramones tunes, but I don't think they even have four chords... :P
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2011, 07:40:20 AM »
I wish I knew how to play the guitar at least somewhat. I've always wanted to be able to pick it up and strum out some tune (yeah) to put on top of a beat. It'd help since I wouldn't have to rely on a friend.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2011, 02:49:08 PM »
I had only ever heard of about five or six of the songs in that video. Regardless, it was pretty entertaining. It actually reminded me of the pop song polkas that Weird Al does.

I was hoping to hear from Ramones tunes, but I don't think they even have four chords... :P

I don't mean to sound like I'm defending the Ramones because I'm a huge fan (which I am a fan of, probably not a huge fan but a fan) but..

I've heard some contemporary acts with obviously much more skill than the Ramones but their music sounds like ****. At least the Ramones were catchy as ****. I never cared for the whole "they can't even play their instruments" talk because they knew how to play 'em well enough for what they wanted to accomplish, which in the long run they did. I'll take ANY Ramones record over any modern day "punk" band, every time.

/end of rant.

Also I agree with Ian (OMFG WHATS HAPPENING TO ME) and want to stress the importance of how having fun with it is a major part of learning, whether its from professional lessons or learning on your own.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2011, 04:37:43 PM »
I actually find it pretty hard to play Ramones songs as fast as they do without making mistakes.  There is a certain one-dimensional skill in being able to play power chords really really fast and having it sound good and consistent.

But, yeah, being a guitar virtuoso means squat if you can't apply it to decent songs.  The thing is songwriting is something you have or you don't.  Still I find as you improve as a guitar player you become more confident in trying different things which can improve your songwriting.  You become better at bar chords, you'll start incorporating them into your songs.  You become better at string bends, you'll put them in your solos.  You become a faster picker and you can have faster riffs in your songs.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2011, 05:03:35 PM »

I don't mean to sound like I'm defending the Ramones because I'm a huge fan (which I am a fan of, probably not a huge fan but a fan) but..

Don't get me wrong, I greatly enjoy the Ramones as well. Still, the simplicity of their music cannot be denied.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2011, 06:07:50 PM »

Don't get me wrong, I greatly enjoy the Ramones as well. Still, the simplicity of their music cannot be denied.

Oh no doubt, but that simplicity can be complicated to some. Look at Ian's post above, I know tons of people who can play better than me and not recreate that signature "wall of sound" through those fast power chords.

I knew a guy in high school who kept trying to teach me a thing or two when I was just going at my own place [learning guitar]. He was amazed at how fast my down-stroking was, I didn't think it was that big a deal. All my initial inspirations for guitar were loud, fast punk acts like the Ramones, Misfits or Social D. Especially because of all their Ramones bashing, I thought playing that fast was just easy for all guitarist. His point to me was to practice up/down stroking to build that speed, gave me a few Dimmu Borgir riffs to practice; notably this one*

He was more impressed with my twitch up/down stroking than I was, but the end result was me getting to used to up/down stroking that I was actually worse at down-stroking, and as a result if I tried to play something like the Ramones, it would sound off to me. Eventually I did it for so long that trying to down-stroke an entire song was exhausting. I still don't have that speed back dammit.

*note: black/death metal was never my thing. ugh..
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2011, 06:40:20 PM »
its like good will hunting...he pushed you too hard and ruined your natural talent
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2011, 12:10:05 AM »
Never seen it :/

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2011, 01:09:52 AM »
Really? With Matt Damon (do the retarded Team America voice) and "I should be Charlie Sheen" Robin Williams? Oh and there's that one dude who's terrible at acting...Kinda looks like Robin Van Persie....Ben Afleck. That's right.

Good Movie.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2011, 07:47:50 AM »
How do you like them apples?

Good Will Hunting - the only movie to get me to cry in the theatre.

Offline Nemo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2011, 04:25:30 PM »
I disagree entirely. Art is the one thing you absolute cannot be taught. You either have it or you don't. You can be instructed in the skills to create art (playing specific cords, using certain brush strokes, etc), but the art itself comes down to your natural talent.

I think studying art has much value. Looking at good art work, and figuring out how it was done helps a student of art to make their work better. And having a skilled teacher point out the best things to learn is also a great aid.

Even if you don't have a teacher showing you the way, you're still going to want to look at past works and build upon them.

Also, when I graduate, I'll have not only a "worthless piece of paper" but also, a valuable portfolio of works that I've made.

For myself, I think I've become a much greater artist because of what I've learned at college.
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2011, 08:22:07 PM »
Can we discuss the merits of college in a separate thread, please?

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2011, 10:43:48 PM »
Morari is not an artist if that's his opinion of it. It's both parts. Some may be more talented than others, and others may know more techniques; but it's always a combination.