Author Topic: Mistwalker's "The Last Story" out in NA via XSEED!  (Read 171530 times)

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
Re: Mistwalker's new RPG "The Last Story" coming to Wii in 2010
« Reply #100 on: April 28, 2010, 01:02:37 AM »
Lookin' good! Hope it plays just as well. Fingers crossed!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 28, 2010, 01:34:31 AM »
The lasers remind me of those target lines from Final Fantasy XII, except not arched. It could just be a magic spell, but the FFXII targeting system was the first thing that came to mind.

They're targeting lines, I believe those were used to illustrate the taunt function.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 28, 2010, 01:46:06 AM »
I was starting to get excited until I realized it'll probably be out in Japan before the end of the year, then won't be here for another 9 months. So, this is probably more than a year away. (Just a guess.)
I don't think Nintendo is stupid enough to march The Last Story out to die against Zelda which will probably (or, rather should) be their big Q4 release. They had the sense to move Other M the hell away from Sin and Punishment so the same could be expected here. A late September/early October release for The Last Story would be perfect. I expect 2010 to be the Wii's last major year since I'm convinced they're rolling out a successor late 2011. I mean, they're certainly pulling out the stops with Galaxy 2, Other M and most likely Zelda this year. Xenoblade will likely be their last major release for the console. Since The Last Story is supposedly almost completed, I think it's certainly possible for it to release in the US this year.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 28, 2010, 01:52:14 AM »
Since The Last Story is supposedly almost completed, I think it's certainly possible for it to release in the US this year.

I wouldn't be so convinced of that, considering I don't believe NoA or Mistwalker have officially announced yet that they're bringing the game over here, which tells me that they either haven't started or haven't gotten very far in the localization process yet.  If we get the game, I don't think it will be till early next year, probably February-April 2011.  Of course, if Zelda falls into 2011 (which I fully expect it to), they could push it up to get it out before Christmas and away from Zelda.  Mistwalker would also want this game released away from Xenoblade as well, and we don't know yet when that's coming, either.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 28, 2010, 02:09:40 AM »
True. NoA didn't bring over Archaic Sealed Heat, another Mistwalker game. Still, I do expect NoA to localize The Last Story. Nintendo and Mistwalker have been talking the game up as the best thing since Jesus. Also, they've been pretty mum on the details in general, especially considering we only just recently got screenshots. Whether or not Nintendo has been working on the localization process is up in the air. Additionally, Chrono Trigger on SNES was translated by one man in roughly 30 days. Not ideal, but possible.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 28, 2010, 02:54:37 AM »
RIP ASH...  :'(

And Soma Bringer...and Tact of Magic...and Another Code R...what else will be cruelly withheld from us?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 30, 2010, 12:59:45 PM »

And Soma Bringer...and Tact of Magic...and Another Code R...what else will be cruelly withheld from us?

Zeingleiv no Somethingorother

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 03, 2010, 10:42:01 PM »

There's STILL hope!!! I will not give up on it yet!
My Game Collection

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 04, 2010, 03:05:22 AM »

Disaster: Day of Cheesy Dialog.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 04, 2010, 05:11:39 AM »

Captain Rainbow...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 04, 2010, 11:00:20 AM »

Captain Skittles...

fixed 'cause you were doing it wrong.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 04, 2010, 02:30:27 PM »
Zangeki no Reginlev: the first game to be delocalized. If there is demand I can do a preview for this. It will be good practice for future endeavors (tease).
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 04, 2010, 02:54:40 PM »
I have Zangenki no Reginlev.  I'll give my impressions in that thread tomorrow. its awesome
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 03:22:53 PM by SixthAngel »

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 04, 2010, 04:26:08 PM »
By "this" I meant The Last Story. We're never getting "The 'Lev".
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 02, 2010, 04:02:49 PM »
The Last Story scans from the latest Famitsu

First Pics of the game in action:
http://forums.gametrailers.com/thread/new--the-last-story--famitsu-s/1075022?page=1

Adriasang comments on the article itself (which is in Japanese)
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/06/02/last_story_update/
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 04:08:31 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 02, 2010, 03:46:31 PM »
new info:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/07/02/last_story_blog_update/

Curious.  It looks like they're kind of taking the idea FF XIII had of having your characters run around and talk to each other on the move as you traverse the environment.  I'm not sure how I feel about this idea of having your characters constantly talking to each other, though, even in battle.  Sure, I like good character development, but I get the feeling that all that talking could be really overbearing and distracting (not to mention, if it occurs using text instead of voice acting it would be even more distracting).  I am interested to know what he means by it possibly being related to your characters' skills.

This does make me feel like quoting Hawk Girl from Justice League Unlimited, though: "Less talking, more hitting!"   :P:

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 04, 2010, 05:14:36 PM »
new info:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/07/02/last_story_blog_update/

Curious.  It looks like they're kind of taking the idea FF XIII had of having your characters run around and talk to each other on the move as you traverse the environment.  I'm not sure how I feel about this idea of having your characters constantly talking to each other, though, even in battle.  Sure, I like good character development, but I get the feeling that all that talking could be really overbearing and distracting (not to mention, if it occurs using text instead of voice acting it would be even more distracting).  I am interested to know what he means by it possibly being related to your characters' skills.

This does make me feel like quoting Hawk Girl from Justice League Unlimited, though: "Less talking, more hitting!"   :P: :

I imagine it'll be similar to Dragon Age's system of having party members chit-chat (albeit in an expanded version), with perhaps a shade of Fire Emblem's companion system for the second part.  Admittedly, I have nothing solid to back up this guess.  It'd be cool though.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 04, 2010, 09:30:38 PM »
FE's companion system was the first thing that came to mind for Last Story. I doubt it would be the push of the main story, more background information. I also think of how the banter between the Prince and Farrah in the first Sands of Time changed and evolved as their relationship did over the course of their journey.
My Game Collection

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 08, 2010, 10:35:51 AM »
Well, The Last Story Finally has an official trailer with gameplay footage we can see of all gameplay modes.  Honestly, after watching that trailer I'm really not liking the look of this game.  It's extremely dark and grimy, with extremely diminished colors.  It's just ugly, and it unfortunately reminds me of a terrible JRPG I played fairly recently called Resonance of Fate (the gameplay reminds me a bit of Resonance as well) that also was bland and gray.  I can see what Mistwalker's going for, but it just doesn't work here.  Especially after playing both Tales of Vesperia and Valkyria Chronicles, I really have to ask why this game wasn't Cel Shaded (and why we don't see more Cel Shaded JRPGs).  It's a look that looks fantastic whether you're working with Wii or the HD consoles.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 10:38:46 AM by broodwars »

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #121 on: July 08, 2010, 10:47:09 AM »
Trailer is interesting.

Overall I think the gameplay looks a little too button mashy for me based on the fact that there are no menus or anything shown.

Now, if they did end up doing something like FF 12, I would definitely get behind that.

I'm kind of doubting this is going to make it in my console any time soon.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 08, 2010, 10:55:32 AM »
Trailer is interesting.

Overall I think the gameplay looks a little too button mashy for me based on the fact that there are no menus or anything shown.

Now, if they did end up doing something like FF 12, I would definitely get behind that.

I'm kind of doubting this is going to make it in my console any time soon.

The gameplay reminds me a little of Rogue Galaxy with a Cover System (Resonance also used a Cover System), which could be ok.  I'm alright with "button mashy" combat if there's some layer of depth to it (Rogue Galaxy had special attacks you paused the game to access from a menu).

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #123 on: July 08, 2010, 11:17:30 AM »
Trailer looks awesome, and now I'm very excited about playing the game.  I love the cover system, and I can't wait to flip over boxes and sneak attack enemies from behind.  Looks crazy fun.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 08, 2010, 12:01:55 PM »
After watching the trailer for this game and witnessing the sheer beauty of it, I am convinced that anything is now possible on the wii if the developer is willing to put up the effort. It seems like wii games are getting better and such games as this one, Monster Hunter 3 and SMG 2 help prove my point.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.