Author Topic: Mistwalker's "The Last Story" out in NA via XSEED!  (Read 171210 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Mistwalker's new RPG "The Last Story" coming to Wii in Japan in 2011
« Reply #250 on: January 13, 2011, 02:54:59 PM »
especially since they are replacing the Wii early next year ;)

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 13, 2011, 05:56:02 PM »
*Breaks into tears*

Here is a new video:

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/32610

Is that Ganon at 4:20?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 06:17:32 PM by Kytim89 »
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 13, 2011, 10:35:36 PM »
Why in the hell is Nintendo not interested in bringing this game to the west?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 13, 2011, 10:39:27 PM »
Just to put things in perspective, you have to remember that Nintendo's official stance was that there were no plans to release a new DS hardware model right up until the day they announced the DS Lite. "No plans" is Nintendo's way of reminding you they haven't announced anything yet. I'm not saying the game will come out; I'm just saying that this in no way confirms that it won't.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 13, 2011, 10:45:29 PM »
I remember when Nintendo claimed to have "no plans" for a sequel to Wii Sports.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #255 on: January 13, 2011, 11:01:17 PM »
I almost gave myself a heart attack at the thought of never playing this game.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 13, 2011, 11:11:11 PM »
Just to put things in perspective, you have to remember that Nintendo's official stance was that there were no plans to release a new DS hardware model right up until the day they announced the DS Lite. "No plans" is Nintendo's way of reminding you they haven't announced anything yet. I'm not saying the game will come out; I'm just saying that this in no way confirms that it won't.
I remember when Nintendo claimed to have "no plans" for a sequel to Wii Sports.

That's why I said that it's always a possibility that Nintendo could turn around and announce the game for NA.  The problem is that Last Story, being a JRPG, is kind of niche and Nintendo has been very reluctant this generation to bring over Wii games to NA this generation that don't have wide-ish appeal, Sin & Punishment 2 nonwithstanding.  Nintendo has just been so incredibly noncommittal about their plans with this game (and Xenoblade, for that matter) that I just don't have a good feeling about this one, just as I frequently do whenever Namco-Bandai announces a new Tales game.  I hope you're right, but I think it's all going to hedge on how the game is received in Japan.

I almost gave myself a heart attack at the thought of never playing this game.

Ok, seriously, dude, you need to chill out.  I want to see this game as well, but at the end of the day it's just a game and Just Another Japanese RPG at that.  Besides, I only said that it was a possibility, the first word we've heard out of Nintendo on the game coming to NA.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 14, 2011, 01:02:48 AM »
it's just a game and Just Another Japanese RPG

As somebody who greatly dislikes JRPGs in general, I would vehemently disagree with that statement.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 14, 2011, 01:16:44 AM »
Check out that trailer that Iposted and you will see why I want this game.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 14, 2011, 01:29:23 AM »
I just did. It looks like Final Fantasy.... without all the color.

And even if Nintendo of America doesn't release this (I still think they will though), there's no stopping a 3rd party from picking it up.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 14, 2011, 02:29:35 AM »

And even if Nintendo of America doesn't release this (I still think they will though), there's no stopping a 3rd party from picking it up.

Considering Nintendo has funded the entire development and owns the IP, I'm pretty sure Iwata is stopping any third parties from picking it up.  Of course I still stand by my prediction that NOA has been ordered to publish both The last Story and Xenoblade because I still have a hard time believing Nintendo would allow 2 new IP's to both have large budgets that revival that of the top 3D home console Mario and Zelda games without having a worldwide release in mind.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 14, 2011, 02:59:08 AM »

Considering Nintendo has funded the entire development and owns the IP, I'm pretty sure Iwata is stopping any third parties from picking it up.  Of course I still stand by my prediction that NOA has been ordered to publish both The last Story and Xenoblade because I still have a hard time believing Nintendo would allow 2 new IP's to both have large budgets that revival that of the top 3D home console Mario and Zelda games without having a worldwide release in mind.

The production values of both Xenoblade and Last Story seem to indicate that they will be released in the west.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 14, 2011, 10:50:40 AM »

Considering Nintendo has funded the entire development and owns the IP, I'm pretty sure Iwata is stopping any third parties from picking it up.
If Nintendo of America refuses to publish the game (again, I still think they will), why would Iwata block any 3rd party from publishing the game outside of Japan? "Oh, we don't want your money..." That doesn't make any sense.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 14, 2011, 11:11:26 AM »

Considering Nintendo has funded the entire development and owns the IP, I'm pretty sure Iwata is stopping any third parties from picking it up.
If Nintendo of America refuses to publish the game (again, I still think they will), why would Iwata block any 3rd party from publishing the game outside of Japan? "Oh, we don't want your money..." That doesn't make any sense.

Fatal Frame IV says "hello".

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #264 on: January 14, 2011, 11:15:01 AM »
Not to mention Mother 3. Atlus publically said that they would be willing to localize the game and publish it, but Nintendo refused.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 14, 2011, 12:02:36 PM »

Not to mention Mother 3. Atlus publically said that they would be willing to localize the game and publish it, but Nintendo refused.

I can understand Fatal Frame due to the lukewarm reception that it seemed to get.

Atlus attempted to publish Mother 3 here? For reals? Wow, Nintendo, that's a dick move.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #266 on: January 14, 2011, 12:12:25 PM »
Nintendo had previously let Atlus localize Cubivore: Survival of the Fittest on GameCube and Polarium Advance on GBA, so I was disappointed on that too.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 14, 2011, 04:07:27 PM »
From what I heard NCL was actually pissed at Atlus for even having the nerve to say they'd like to localize Mother 3 which is why Nintendo and Atlus haven't worked together on localizing anything since.  From what it sounds like, Iwata has a close relationship with Mother's creator Shigesato Itoi, and so Iwata isn't going to allow anyone other then Nintendo to handle the series.  Of course because of his close relationship this is the reason why NOA isn't allowed to change anything for the localization like some of the music that's actually breaking certain copyright laws, because Itoi doesn't want his work changed for any reason.  Which is the same reason why NOA can't release Earthbound on the Virtual Console because of the music issues as well.

http://starmen.net/ebvc/

http://earthboundcentral.com/2009/02/earthbound-legal-issues/

So basically we're forever screwed from getting anything Mother related outside of Japan except for the appearances in Smash Bros.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 14, 2011, 05:17:01 PM »
That's not the same thing. The IP belongs to Tecmo though worldwide publishing rights is something Nintendo probably negotiated in exchange for funding the project. Nintendo flatly asked Tecmo to fix that mess of a game and they refused. I wouldn't want to help them make money either.

I believe Nintendo either owns or shares the rights to The Last Story with Mistwalker so unless Sakaguchi demands that only Nintendo publish the game or something, I don't see why they wouldn't like another company localize the game. They've let 3rd parties (or rather Atlus) publish their games before so obviously there's precedence for it. Examples like Fatal Frame and Mother 3 come with an asterisk.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 14, 2011, 05:52:35 PM »
If you play Mother 3 you'll understand why Nintendo doesn't want it released in North America.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #270 on: January 14, 2011, 08:02:04 PM »
I remember a few years ago at E3 Iwata said that Mother 3 was coming to virtual console, but it never did show up. I guess this is normal for Nintendo, but I refuse to miss out on Last Story.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 19, 2011, 07:34:58 PM »
The Famitsu review of Last Story is a 38 out of 40. Not a bad score, but I was hoping a perfect score.

http://www.1up.com/news/japan-review-check-last-story-valkyria

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 19, 2011, 07:39:29 PM »
The Famitsu review of Last Story is a 38 out of 40. Not a bad score, but I was hoping a perfect score.

http://www.1up.com/news/japan-review-check-last-story-valkyria

Sorry, but you need to pay Famitsu good money to get that perfect score.  They have a reputation to maintain, after all!

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #273 on: January 19, 2011, 07:42:41 PM »
So that would mean Last Story's marketing budget is in the hundreds of millions of yen, instead of the billions we're used to.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 19, 2011, 08:12:35 PM »
Most of the games that earn a near perfect score on Famitsu are good enough titles to be bought right away in the first place.