Author Topic: Two Developer questions  (Read 5375 times)

Offline Perfect Cell

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Two Developer questions
« on: March 04, 2003, 04:25:10 PM »
1.Free Radical is rumored to be making an exclysive game for Sony while bypassing Eidos. I thought they were part of Eidos? Are they a Free Agent type devloper then? Could Nintendo make them make an exclusive game for the Cube?

2.Level 5 made the very good Dark Cloud 2 for the PS2, and are working on Dragon warrior 8 and True Fantasy Live for the Xbox, so are they also  available to the highest bidder? Id love to see them make an RPG, possibly Mario RPG 2 since Square hasnt announced it yet.

Offline Tman

• View Profile
Two Developer questions
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2003, 05:21:29 PM »
Ummm Dragon Warrior(quest) 8 isn't gonna happen for the Xbox.

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
Two Developer questions
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2003, 06:34:38 PM »
i am also confused.....isnt that an enix game?
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline DrForester

• View Profile
Two Developer questions
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2003, 07:23:41 PM »
Yes, Dragon Warrior 8 is made by enix (Well, Square-enix now).  Square-Enix have no plans to develop for any system other than the PS2, Game Boy Advance, and a few PC titles.
"I see you've decided to go psycho.....godspeed"

Offline EggyToast

• View Profile
Two Developer questions
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2003, 09:32:57 AM »
Free Radical is a 3rd party that has simply published a few games through Eidos.  Eidos doesn't have anything to do with the development.

Offline FFantasyFX

• View Profile
Two Developer questions
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2003, 09:42:54 AM »
Perfect Cell's statement just had a bit of structural ambiguity in it.  Level 5 is working on Dragon Warrior 8 for the PS2 and True Fantasy Live for the XBox.  Tman quite rightly thought that the for the XBox part applied to both the games, but that's not what Perfect Cell meant to say.

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
Two Developer questions
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2003, 03:46:51 PM »
Exactly, im asking about the developer status, If they can work on both Xbox and PS2, why couldnt they work on the Gamecube?  

Offline FFantasyFX

• View Profile
Two Developer questions
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2003, 07:41:36 PM »
Perfect Cell:  If either development team (Free Radical or Level 5) were commissioned by a publisher to work on a Gamecube game, they certainly could do that.  I can't see Nintendo themselves commissioning either in the near future, but you never know.

As for Enix, despite being a rather prolific publisher, the company really doesn't have very many direct development resources, at least not anymore.  Tri-Ace develops Star Ocean, Quintet made Soul Blazer/Illusion of Gaia/Terrangima, Quest -- Ogre Battle, Chun Soft -- Torneko's Adventure: Mysterious Dungeon, etc., etc., etc.  They just commission smaller developers to do the developing duties.  Even the later Dragon Warriors have become collaborations between the top  talent at Enix and outside developers. One of the major reasons underlying Enix's merger with Square was so that Enix could have access to Square's vast development resources.

Offline Demonhunter

• View Profile
Two Developer questions
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2003, 04:26:06 PM »

Exactly, im asking about the developer status, If they can work on both Xbox and PS2, why couldnt they work on the Gamecube?

I'll tell you why. Because M$ and $ony are pretty malicious with their bling bling. They go over there and say, "you know, it would be a shame if this was released on GC. Because then you couldn't put it on our system, which is, as you can see, is better than theirs." Unfortunatly, Nintendo is a little too nice and needs to do this as well.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Two Developer questions
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2003, 07:35:46 AM »

Originally posted by: nolimit19
i am also confused.....isnt that an enix game?

Enix does not make any games themselves, they farm out their games to outside developers to make them instead.

I guess that is why it takes forever for one of their games to come out.  I don't expect Dragon Quest 8 to come out for the PS2 until after the PS3 has been released.  Just like Dragon Quest 7.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline enigma487

• Scalar, The Destructor!
    • View Profile
Two Developer questions
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2003, 04:55:42 PM »

Id love to see them make an RPG, possibly Mario RPG 2 since Square hasnt announced it yet.

it's called paper mario...

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
Two Developer questions
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2003, 08:46:37 PM »
Mario RPG 3 made by Square in conjunction with Nintendo
would truly mark, the true/real return of Square to Nintendo

as of now, FFCC is made by the developer Nintendo is funding, which isn't directly Square
can't think of the name...

furthermore I don't know if the two GBA Square titles are made by Square directly or not either, are they?

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Two Developer questions
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2003, 08:44:31 AM »

Originally posted by: Demonhunter

I'll tell you why. Because M$ and $ony are pretty malicious with their bling bling. They go over there and say, "you know, it would be a shame if this was released on GC. Because then you couldn't put it on our system, which is, as you can see, is better than theirs." Unfortunatly, Nintendo is a little too nice and needs to do this as well.

Ha ha ha!!  I like your characterization of Sony and MS, although I think you're a little too nice to Nintendo.  The problem isn't that Nintendo is too nice to do that (check out Resident Evil) but Nintendo isn't aggressive enough in doing it.  It seems like Capcom is the only company Nintendo is throwing money at...oh, there's Namco and Sega too, but Nintendo has them working on it's own liscences...it seems like Nintendo ought to be doing more to get important exclusives (Dragon Quest, Dragon Quest!!) that it doesn't already own.  I really doubt that F-Zero or even Starfox Armada will sell many GameCubes.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX