Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Launch Lineup - About 17 Minutes.  (Read 62734 times)

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Re: NX Launch Lineup
« Reply #150 on: October 23, 2016, 08:49:41 PM »
The 3D Mario game is going to be the Holiday game for 2017. Zelda, a Wii U port and any kind of Pokemon launch window game are already good enough to carry Switch during the initial launch period. Maybe do an Animal Crossing game in the fall and you have some serious heavy hitters during year one. And that's before getting to any new Fire Emblem, 2D Mario, mainline Pokemon games and whatever Retro is doing.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Switch Launch Lineup
« Reply #151 on: October 23, 2016, 09:12:02 PM »
What if the delayed Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing mobile games were delayed because they will also be launch title for the Switch because the Switch will be Android based!
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 23, 2016, 10:53:22 PM »
I hope Switch has a soccer game for Insanolord.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 24, 2016, 02:34:11 AM »
What if the delayed Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing mobile games were delayed because they will also be launch title for the Switch because the Switch will be Android based!

I'm hoping Switch is android based and has access to Android stores. There could be a 1000 launch games if that's the case.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline supermario2k

• Totally not The Rat. Really.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 24, 2016, 10:51:37 AM »

I'm hoping Switch is android based and has access to Android stores. There could be a 1000 launch games if that's the case.

They could accomplish the same thing if the eshop and Virtual Console is fully populated but that isn't going to be the case either.

I doubt Nintendo would want to do anything that lets games exist on their machine they don't get money for. In fact I would go so far as to say that isn't just a pipe dream its not going to happen. Nintendo has changed in a lot of ways in the last 25 years but letting someone else put games on their system and not give them royalties isn't one of those changes.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 24, 2016, 11:06:54 AM »

That's...no. That's the opposite of what I want.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 25, 2016, 06:30:00 PM »
There's so much unknown still with the games lineup. However I'd really like to think that the four Nintendo 1st Party games shown in the trailer won't turn out to be vaporware and instead will actually come out (unlike the Zelda Wii U demo...). If I assume those are all 2016 calendar year releases, how might they be spaced out?

March/Launch - Zelda: BotW
May - Mario Kart Switch
August - Splatoon Switch
October/November - Mario Switch

Obviously there would still need to be a slew of supporting titles from both 1st and 3rd parties to be excited about (c'mon Pikmin 4, Skyrim Remastered, BG&E2, 2.5D Metroid, Unspecified Sports Games, Indie support, plus "insert-important-original-non-port-title-here"!), but this would be most of their major selling franchises established right from the get-go on the system.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline sudoshuff

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 25, 2016, 06:54:55 PM »
However I'd really like to think that the four Nintendo 1st Party games shown in the trailer won't turn out to be vaporware and instead will actually come out (unlike the Zelda Wii U demo...).

I bet the 1st party games they showed will come out.  They are all games we are expecting anyways. Wasn't that Zelda Wii U demo shown the same year that Skyward Sword came out?  It was a little unbelievable that Nintendo would have even been thinking about Zelda's Wii U iteration.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 25, 2016, 09:26:13 PM »
No way is Zelda, Mario, Kart, and Splatoon all coming out before Christmas 2017. Of course, without Iwata, maybe the rules truly have changed.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #159 on: October 25, 2016, 09:44:59 PM »
The rules really do need to change.  Nintendo needs to know that they need to push this system hard the first year.  And if 2017 and 2018 slow 3DS development to nothing, then Nintendo can push all their efforts into Switch Games...Nintendo releasing 4 AAA games a year is not unheard of.  That is just one game a quarter.  Nintendo should totally push for this out put for the system.  2018 could easily be Metroid, F-Zero, Switch Sports or a Mario Sports compilation game, then some new IP. 

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 25, 2016, 10:30:28 PM »
They tried that with Gamecube and look where it got them: Luigi's Mansion, Smash, Fox, Mario, AC, and Metroid all in the first year. If they did it again, gamers would just complain they only make sequels. Best to stop trying.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 25, 2016, 10:51:08 PM »
Ideally we'd also get one or two new IP sort of experiences at Switch launch, maybe some more by Holiday 2017.

What'd also be nice is a big juicy third party RPG in Holiday 2017. It'd be a bit early for DQ XI to hit stateside though...

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #162 on: October 25, 2016, 11:13:07 PM »
They tried that with Gamecube and look where it got them: Luigi's Mansion, Smash, Fox, Mario, AC, and Metroid all in the first year. If they did it again, gamers would just complain they only make sequels. Best to stop trying.

If Nintendo could get the big "Nintendo" games out year one, then Nintendo could focus the next year on new IP.  But honestly, I don't remember people complaining about the Gamecube launch lineup, or gamers complaining about just sequels.  But honestly the Gamecube was YEARS ago.  Now the only games released period are just sequels or indie games...so that complaint doesn't work.  Nintendo needs to get the games people want to play out on their system ASAP, so that gamers can play them and be willing to support Nintendo.  The thing is each of those games listed for year one by switchblade reach a different audience.  Adventure RPG, platforming, multiplayer shooter, racing.  These are genres you need on your system ASAP to satisfy different tastes in gaming.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 25, 2016, 11:26:42 PM »

They could accomplish the same thing if the eshop and Virtual Console is fully populated but that isn't going to be the case either.

I doubt Nintendo would want to do anything that lets games exist on their machine they don't get money for. In fact I would go so far as to say that isn't just a pipe dream its not going to happen. Nintendo has changed in a lot of ways in the last 25 years but letting someone else put games on their system and not give them royalties isn't one of those changes.

That's the biggest hurdle Nintendo has to go through, themselves. Nintendo NEEDS third party support for this to be a success. If third parties aren't going to make games for Switch, maybe they need to go out and steal the third party support. Nintendo's biggest problem with other stores on the system is going to be emulators. Maybe Nintendo will have a special Android channel that has an apps blacklist. If the games are not on the system anyways, they can't make licensing money off of them. I have an Ouya, and I can get games from The Ouya store, google play, or amazon underground. The games off of the Ouya store work and don't have bugs. The underground stores can be buggy. It's better than no games from third parties though.

Also a prediction, Final Fantasy III Remastered will be a launch appstore title.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 26, 2016, 01:17:28 AM »
No way is Zelda, Mario, Kart, and Splatoon all coming out before Christmas 2017. Of course, without Iwata, maybe the rules truly have changed.

Under Iwata the Wii had the strongest first year lineup in Nintendo history.  If we're going to consider stuff like Luigi's Mansion and Star Fox Adventures AAA for the Gamecube then Wii's first year lineup is easily surpasses it in so called AAA Nintendo titles in one year.  Considering the Switch is doing much of what the Wii did, by taking games that probably started on the previous one and reusing their engines for quicker development, it'll probably have a year just as strong, with maybe a chance of being stronger.

Plus I'm not sure how it's hard to believe Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart and Splatoon won't hit by the end of 2017.  Zelda is more then likely almost finished, and Tokyo EAD has had almost 3 years since they finished 3D World meaning the upcoming 3D Mario can easily hit a 2017 release date.  The base game for Mario Kart 8 will have been released almost 3 years ago by the time the Switch is released, and the last DLC 2 years, which is still plenty of time for the Mario Kart team to make a new Mario Kart that's probably just reusing the same engine as MK8.  Seriously, they went from Mario Kart 7 in November of 2011, a game still reusing the Double Dash engine, to creating a brand new high quality HD engine with Mario Kart 8 in only 2.5 years, and yet they suddenly can't make a new Mario Kart reusing said MK8 engine within a 2-3 year gap?  Come on, nobody should be doubting Mario Kart hitting 2017.

The only real wild card is Splatoon but even that is possible since the game is probably reusing the original games engine which will save time and if it hits by holiday 2017, that still 2.5 years which is longer then the average shooter sequel takes to make, so it's still very doable.  Like I said earlier, Nintendo isn't suffering from being new to HD development anymore and can reuse all their Wii U engines and assets for quicker development as well now.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #165 on: October 26, 2016, 01:56:05 AM »

Under Iwata the Wii had the strongest first year lineup in Nintendo history.  If we're going to consider stuff like Luigi's Mansion and Star Fox Adventures AAA for the Gamecube then Wii's first year lineup is easily surpasses it in so called AAA Nintendo titles in one year.  Considering the Switch is doing much of what the Wii did, by taking games that probably started on the previous one and reusing their engines for quicker development, it'll probably have a year just as strong, with maybe a chance of being stronger.

Plus I'm not sure how it's hard to believe Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart and Splatoon won't hit by the end of 2017.  Zelda is more then likely almost finished, and Tokyo EAD has had almost 3 years since they finished 3D World meaning the upcoming 3D Mario can easily hit a 2017 release date.  The base game for Mario Kart 8 will have been released almost 3 years ago by the time the Switch is released, and the last DLC 2 years, which is still plenty of time for the Mario Kart team to make a new Mario Kart that's probably just reusing the same engine as MK8.  Seriously, they went from Mario Kart 7 in November of 2011, a game still reusing the Double Dash engine, to creating a brand new high quality HD engine with Mario Kart 8 in only 2.5 years, and yet they suddenly can't make a new Mario Kart reusing said MK8 engine within a 2-3 year gap?  Come on, nobody should be doubting Mario Kart hitting 2017.

The only real wild card is Splatoon but even that is possible since the game is probably reusing the original games engine which will save time and if it hits by holiday 2017, that still 2.5 years which is longer then the average shooter sequel takes to make, so it's still very doable.  Like I said earlier, Nintendo isn't suffering from being new to HD development anymore and can reuse all their Wii U engines and assets for quicker development as well now.

The question people have isn't can the games be made.  It is WILL Nintendo release the games in 2017.  I think Nintendo could release all those games 2017.  And I could even see the launch lineup being Mario Kart and Zelda...or Mario and Zelda (less likely.)  But honestly once you have a good HD engine for a racing game...you don't need much except excellent track design, which I am sure the Mario Kart team is always working on. 

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 26, 2016, 03:13:15 AM »
I'd definitely hope the next Mario Kart had some amazing tracks, I found 8 to be somewhat uninspiring for some reason.

Also, hmmm... I'm wondering if Nintendo's Mobile Titles make it onto the switch. Would Miitomo, Super Mario Run, Animal Crossing Mobile, and Fire Emblem Mobile all be available for free-to-start download from the eShop, day 1?

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 26, 2016, 10:48:02 AM »
I think they'll be fine just launching with Zelda to be honest. Everything else is icing on the cake. If you're not into Zelda, then you'll probably wait anyway for more reasons to pick up a Nintendo console.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline supermario2k

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 26, 2016, 01:04:46 PM »
Zelda isn't the sales driver people like to pretend it is. It's about the most hard core game Nintendo has and has a very strong, devoted following, but it's really not their strongest franchise. They need a Mario before Christmas period.

If they really want to come out swinging they need a damn good Mario game day one. Mario sells consoles, especially when done how the fans want and 3D World is a game many wanted and enjoyed but it came later than the game people weren't asking for. THIS is a game we have all been asking for since the last Galaxy, even people that actively hate or dislike Wii remote still bought and loved Galaxies.

Mario Kart and Splatoon in the same holiday makes it a good showcase for the console and gets a broad variety out up front, a competitive shooting game, a competitive racing game, an open world RPG-like game, and a Mario game that looks like it should be fun.

Having too many games up front is not a bad thing either. Getting as many of the sequels and franchise games out of the way as they can up front gives them plenty of room down the road to experiment. They need to space out their side stuff like DK, Kirby, Metroid, F-Zero, Punch Out, Excite Bike, etc, but they are going to want to get as many games as they can as fast as they can.

I also bet they have something Pokemon related ready by the first holiday.

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 26, 2016, 01:48:36 PM »

The man has a good icon and makes good points, but I will only give you Zelda launch and then Mario Kart in September. Not a penny more! DK seems more likely than Marry-oh.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 26, 2016, 03:47:56 PM »
I figure Nintendo should aim to have as strong as a lineup as possible as soon as possible to try to get strong initial sales.  If the console sells well at first then it will attract better third party support which can fill the void in Nintendo's lineup if they have a bit of a drought.  If it doesn't sell then the support won't be there.  Nintendo shouldn't assume that they have to support the thing entirely themselves because if they do then the Switch is going to be a flop like the Wii U.  If they make us wait for the big releases in anticipation of a thin lineup then they'll help ensure a thin lineup.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 26, 2016, 05:54:19 PM »
I figure Nintendo should aim to have as strong as a lineup as possible as soon as possible to try to get strong initial sales.  If the console sells well at first then it will attract better third party support which can fill the void in Nintendo's lineup if they have a bit of a drought.  If it doesn't sell then the support won't be there.  Nintendo shouldn't assume that they have to support the thing entirely themselves because if they do then the Switch is going to be a flop like the Wii U.  If they make us wait for the big releases in anticipation of a thin lineup then they'll help ensure a thin lineup.

I can get behind this.

Well, maybe not ALL at once! But maybe like a one month cadence for new major games from Nintendo or Third-Party Exclusives and they front load it as much as possible with their heavy hitters first.

Yeah, enough with trying to essentially comb-over perceived droughts. Release a big game a month for as long as they have big games and let the chips fall where they may after that.

Besides, these should be evergreen titles. If Mario releases in July, no reason he won't sell well come November given some bundle or special promo activities.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 05:58:52 PM by Kairon »

Offline supermario2k

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 26, 2016, 06:01:54 PM »
But again, this sort of solves that problem by its very existence. Whatever the output was for Wii U and 3DS that is now combined. So it will have the games at a faster pace. IF by some dumb luck it turns out that is not the case and they are still going to release a separate 3rd pillar then all bets are off we might as well sell our Nintendo stock now and prepare for SNES mini the next year.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 26, 2016, 07:18:41 PM »
But again, this sort of solves that problem by its very existence. Whatever the output was for Wii U and 3DS that is now combined. So it will have the games at a faster pace. IF by some dumb luck it turns out that is not the case and they are still going to release a separate 3rd pillar then all bets are off we might as well sell our Nintendo stock now and prepare for SNES mini the next year.

That's my hope too. But given all the history that Nintendo has to struggle uphill against, if they DO have a lot of software ready for the first year or so like what Emily Rogers hints at, then by all means start making it rain Nintendo games and vanquish any doubts!

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #174 on: October 26, 2016, 08:02:50 PM »
You would love a SNES mini.  If it had more games then the NES mini.  I can think of at least 40-50 games would be better than 30...but that is just me.