Author Topic: Should/will Nintendo follow PS4 price cut  (Read 29435 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Re: Should/will Nintendo follow PS4 price cut
« Reply #75 on: October 11, 2015, 10:17:46 AM »
Someone asked for a fact check about the PS3 price stuff from upthread:

- The PS3 launched at a dramatic loss: some models $300+ because of the cost of the Cell and the BR diodes
- They dropped all models to $499 at E3 2007, then introduced a no-PS2 back-compat PS3 with a smaller hard drive for $400 that October
- They sold the two systems until Gamescom 2009, when the Slim was introduced at $300 and replaced everything
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2015, 02:05:55 PM »
A few facts were a bit off.  Sony launched with two configurations at fall of 06' (20GB for $500 and $600 for 60GB), in 07' it launched the $400 (40GB non-bc) and by 08' you can find the 40GB version for $300 while they had another 80GB $400 version which came with the dual shock 3, which replaced the sixaxis controller. 

Some games had to be patched because they had "motion" control elements, some game were never patched but most of PS3 games were playable with dual shock 3 by 09'.  Recall Lair and Heavenly Sword needed patches in order to play.

But this more or less confirms what I've been saying.  Just because you started with something doesn't mean you can't change it.  That's why I believe Nintendo should release an non-gamepad WII U option.  Reduce the price of the WIIU and if people wanted the Gamepad they can just buy in separate.
----------------
I recall buying the PS3 (40GB) at $300 in winter of 08'.  Very shocked when I learned it only had two usb ports instead of 4 like in the 20/60GB BC versions.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 02:16:05 PM by Ymeegod »

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 11, 2015, 02:30:24 PM »
Nintendo is throwing the least amount of money possible at the Wii U in preparation for the NX. I still don't understand how those arguing for a Gamepad-less Wii U SKU can make their case considering that.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 11, 2015, 05:08:42 PM »
You're one of those that still believe the NX is going be a home console.  Launching a new system COSTS a lot more than simply supporting an old one?  That's like telling Sony to make the PSP3.  :(). 

Better off for Nintendo to stay out of the home console market for the time being and focus on the next handheld system which I believe the NX to be. 
---------------------------
By 2016-2017 Sony's going control way to much of the market (40+ million) and it's going be hard for Nintendo to gain any 3rd party support at that point.  Launching a new system just on first party games is what led to the failure of the WII U and I doubt Nintendo's looking forward to a repeat. 

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #79 on: October 11, 2015, 05:22:29 PM »
I'm in the camp that Nintendo is trying to let the Wii U die gracefully (whatever that means), but not cutting the price is ridiculous at this point. Almost as much as a Gamepad less SKU. The last two major releases depend on it.  Plus all their releases are giving Amiibo support which you'd have to make a separate device for just for those systems.

I think Nintendo could've tried the Sony route and just supported their console with a ton of up ports from last gen, but I think the time and money investment was too great.  I think a few more HD GC ports could've really helped the system, but it would've been too late by the time they figured that part out.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2015, 09:50:43 PM »
You're one of those that still believe the NX is going be a home console.  Launching a new system COSTS a lot more than simply supporting an old one?  That's like telling Sony to make the PSP3.  :(). 

Better off for Nintendo to stay out of the home console market for the time being and focus on the next handheld system which I believe the NX to be. 
---------------------------
By 2016-2017 Sony's going control way to much of the market (40+ million) and it's going be hard for Nintendo to gain any 3rd party support at that point.  Launching a new system just on first party games is what led to the failure of the WII U and I doubt Nintendo's looking forward to a repeat. 

I have doubts of the sales potential of a new Nintendo PS4-level (or less) home console in 2017. I just don't know who would buy the thing or even care to pay attention to it. However, Nintendo exiting the home console market sounds like a more disastrous move. Granted, anything can happen if Nintendo can craft a superb public message, but I can only imagine the message of "Nintendo gives up! Nintendo is dead to (home console) gamers!" to soundly subdue all attempts of Nintendo's comeback in this hypothetical.

Also, the launch of the Wii U in 2012 only saw Nintendo Land and New Super Mario Bros. U at launch. It would well in to 2013 until the likes of Lego City Undercover and Game & Wario. If anything, the launch window of the Wii U desperately needed more first party games. The promise or presence of first party games at the Wii U's launch period isn't what led the system to failure. I'd argue it was the most prominent thing keeping it alive.

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 11, 2015, 10:40:46 PM »
I didn't say exit but wait it out.  Namely wait until PS5 is ready to launch or at least until the PS4 sales begin to decline. So 2019 or 2020.  Longer wait for Nintendo means a much stronger lineup. 

----------------------------------

The WII U actually had a successful launch but delays hurt them and what actually killed them was the Sony's hype train.  Super Mario 3D World  won/contender for GOTY in 2013 yet the WII U sales faltered and poor Wonderful 101 bombed.   

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 11, 2015, 11:43:09 PM »
I didn't say exit but wait it out.  Namely wait until PS5 is ready to launch or at least until the PS4 sales begin to decline. So 2019 or 2020.  Longer wait for Nintendo means a much stronger lineup. 

I don't think Nintendo would be afforded the luxury of a "waiting out" period when any sort of cessation of Wii U software development and release and no new home console in the near future will be interpreted as an exit from the home console space.

Then again, maybe I'm giving the press and punditry of the enthusiast video game audience too much credit and importance.

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 12, 2015, 03:03:47 AM »
" any sort of cessation of Wii U software development"

I never stated that neither.  They need continue supporting the console until the next one but I would make 3/4 titles per year and continue to make DLC for existing titles like SM3DL, Smash, Splatoon, Kart, basicailly anything that's still alive. 

Nintendo's hasn't had a strong "console" finish since the N64 (which was largely due to Rare)--they need to change that because people have started to notice it's an trend with Nintendo's home systems. 
-------------------------------------------

Also, since third parties have dropped support, maybe Nintendo should/try to get publishers to allow Nintendo themselves to "port" over 3rd party titles.  Sure you might not bank any money doing that but it would help software drought/diversity.  I wouldn't bother with small fry titles, but aim at the notable ones like COD BOIII, ect.  Cheaper to port a game than create a new title.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 12, 2015, 09:46:58 PM »
I think Nintendo sitting with the Wii U until the next rotation of everyone else's systems would just put Nintendo in a worse position. The NX will most likely come in 2 form factors. I'm thinking they will arrive at the exact same time sharing the same library for the most part. There is no way to catch up to the PS4 but at least they can potentially drum up more interest and support than what they have now and have hopefully comparable hardware.

2019 or 2020 is a heck of a long time away. That's almost a full generation in and of itself. if this gen runs long like the last one by the time the PS4 runs its course, the NX's successor may be ready. Though I think the NX is the start of something completely different than what we are used to. Like iPhone upgrades or DSi/New3Ds style upgrades but with newer games still scalable to fit the older hardware.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 12, 2015, 11:30:09 PM »
Can't be worse than losing 90% of your userbase.  Sega's history shows what happens if you simply launch a new console after a failure.  Sony could have easily abandon the PS3 but they instead bunked down and made a nice comeback (to bad they didn't do that for the PSVita). 

-----------------
"sharing the same library for the most part."  Vita says hello.  Lynx, Game Gear, ect.  While that idea sounds great in theory it's never helped in the past so why would that change for the future?  Usually what happens is people ask "why" would I need a ____ when I can already play it on _____.

Namely I would just buy an handheld NX and skip over the home console.  If anything Nintendo would lose money (unless the start charging same prices between handheld/console versions).

Take SSB WII U/3DS.  Overall the combined numbers will most likely match SSB Brawl but Nintendo actually loses a bit of money because SSB 3DS sold at a lesser amount.  The overall fanbase didn't grow.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 13, 2015, 12:38:56 AM »
So Nintendo failed to capture the "buy two copies of a game" crowd like they did with Pokemon? I figured that the double dippers would have given a better boost to the games overall.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2015, 12:58:20 AM »
Well to be honest with you that % of dual owners is pretty damn low.  I think GI had a poll of how many people who owned a pokemon title bought both titles and it wasn't even 5%.  With Wifi nowadays it's somewhat pointless to buy both versions unless there's an reason or just an collector. 

I know a few diehard SSB fans that ended up owning both versions.  95% of their playtime is on the WII U of course but having a portable versions comes in handy during those pesty midnight launches. 

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 13, 2015, 01:10:09 AM »
The 3DS version of Smash Bros is at 7 million while the Wii U version is at 3.8 million.  Combined they've sold 10.8 million which is just 2 million less then Brawls lifetime total of 12.8 million.  By the end of this year considering how well Nintendo systems do during the holiday and the legs Smash Bros has historically had, they'll have either surpassed Brawl or come pretty close. 

By the time the next Smash Bros comes out both version combined should be a few million above Brawl so either Nintendo managed to increase the Smash Bros fanbase or quite a few people bought both versions in the end.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 13, 2015, 03:15:06 AM »
2.5 million difference is still a long ways to go, unless Nintendo plans on releasing the "Select" version by this holiday I don't really see it gaining that much ground.  An select version should add a million sales but will Nintendo even bother discounting the game?  I wouldn't hold my breath for that to happen.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now just imagine how many sales could have happened if it was two separate games?  How many on this forum own both versions of SSB vs owning both versions of the current Mario Karts 7 and 8. 

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 13, 2015, 09:16:21 AM »
I just don't understand. You want a discounted version of one of their best selling Wii U games just one year after it launched, but you also want Nintendo to ride the Wii U out until 2019-20?

This argument is moot though. Nintendo is not going to be releasing handheld and console versions of the same games.

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 13, 2015, 09:52:55 AM »
"discounted version of one of their best selling Wii U games just one year after it launched,"

You do realize that just about every publisher is doing it?  I wouldn't mark it down to bargin bin levels but I can easily see them selling the SSB WII U version for $40 and maybe $30 for a BF special.    The biggest customer for the holidays are usually casuals (parents) and all they do is look at the bottom line.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 28, 2015, 07:51:55 AM »
"discounted version of one of their best selling Wii U games just one year after it launched,"

You do realize that just about every publisher is doing it?  I wouldn't mark it down to bargin bin levels but I can easily see them selling the SSB WII U version for $40 and maybe $30 for a BF special.    The biggest customer for the holidays are usually casuals (parents) and all they do is look at the bottom line.

Nintendo are, for better or for worse, firm believers in the fact that their first party stuff should not lose market value until they do their greatest hits reprints or the game just does REALLY bad. I'm pretty sure I've seen copies of Pokemon X and Y out there that are still floating around their full retail value.

Now, if you wanted to include a pack-in that's lost a bit of shelf value, they should pack in Bayonetta 2. (/sarcasm)

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 28, 2015, 08:08:21 AM »
Just in case no one has said it yet, the answer is "yes".
Yes in 2013
HELL YES in 2014
OH FOR CHRIST SAKE PLEASE NOW YES in 2015

I feel like a stuck record now, but they've needed a $250 bundle for so long it's beginning to physically hurt now.
A $250 pre-loaded Splatoon or MK8 bundle would go down a treat.

I'll see you guys October 2016 where I'll copy/paste this exact same post again because they didn't do it this year.
I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 28, 2015, 01:28:20 PM »
Gamestop has an offer right now running where you get $100 credit towards the purchase of a PS4X1 if you trade in your last gen console. Depending on the bundle, it can be as cheap as $250 before taxes and other stuff. Nintendo needs a price cut desperately.

« Reply #95 on: October 28, 2015, 03:59:26 PM »
I am not sure the price drop would help at this point. It might have helped when Splatoon came out, or before that when Mario Kart or Smash but if they didn't drop the price for their big hits they sure as hell aren't going to do it for their 3rd tier crap that is coming out now. I would expect a bundle for Christmas/Black Friday and then it will quietly disappear with little fanfare right after NX launches.
You can call me Mikey if my username is too long.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,
I own Wii U, PS4, PS3, and PC.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 25, 2015, 12:55:53 PM »
Well I bought a Wii U.  No formal price drop obviously but there was a sale at Shoppers Drug Mart on the weekend.  Because of the weak Canadian dollar the price actually went up at one point this year from $300 to $330.  They were selling it for $250!  $80 off?  Yeah that might as well be a price cut and with no indication that the Smash/Splat bundle is getting released in Canada and what price point it would even come at if it did ($270 at some American locations; in Canada that would probably be a mere return to the $300 price point) I figured I wasn't going to get a better deal unless I waited for the NX to come out.  The flyer advertised the Super Mario 3D World bundle but all they had left were the Mario Kart 8 one.  I literally got the last Wii U at the store.

My thoughts?  First of all Nintendo includes a pretty damn short HDMI cable.  Better than no cable at all but I had to really rethink where to put the thing in relation to my TV.  Set up took forever but that's not something only Nintendo is guilty of.  Remember when you just plugged the thing into the wall and TV and it was ready to go?  I imagine it must be brutal to get a game system for your kids for Christmas and have to **** around with updates and **** while they're impatiently waiting to play.

I was not thrilled at first about getting Mario Kart 8.  I've gotten pretty tired of Mario Kart and this wasn't a game I was planning on getting (Pikmin 3, Mario Maker and Xenoblade are my trio of killer apps).  It's actually totally great and I don't regret getting it!  Getting the DLC with the bundle so I can race around with Link was pretty nice as well since I normally wouldn't bother with DLC.  There is still the annoying part where I'm in first and get nothing but bananas and coins but I actually really like the anti-grav mechanic.  Maybe I'm just missing F-Zero but this concept has allowed for a lot of really cool track designs and a certain freshness the Wii game lacked (it's big hook seemed to be motion controls, which I hate).  Now I haven't played the 3DS Mario Kart so maybe some of the new ideas I'm seeing were introduced there (I know hang-gliding was).  It's a lot of fun anyway and one of the best Mario Karts I've seen in a while.

And yesterday I was at my local used game store and found Pikmin 3!  Haven't played it yet but I'm pretty happy to have found it so quickly.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 25, 2015, 01:19:08 PM »
I own Mario Kart DS and pretty much hate it, but there is something about 8 that makes me love it. There is a sense of speed and the tracks feel alive with lots of movement and animation, whereas DS feels very static and just dull. I suppose I like 64 and Double Dash but mostly for the battle mode and co-op mode respectively.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 25, 2015, 02:00:24 PM »
Hope you enjoy the console Iansane, I'm sure many folks here could give you recs up the wazoo.

I was in the same boat regarding Mario Kart 8. I've basically never liked the series, but I love 8. I don't know what exactly finally put it over the top for me, but it did. If it had a proper campaign it would finally dethrown Diddy Kong Racing as my favorite karter.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #99 on: November 25, 2015, 03:21:05 PM »
I own Mario Kart DS and pretty much hate it, but there is something about 8 that makes me love it. There is a sense of speed and the tracks feel alive with lots of movement and animation, whereas DS feels very static and just dull. I suppose I like 64 and Double Dash but mostly for the battle mode and co-op mode respectively.

I really liked a lot of MKDS's courses. I really wish Mission Mode would return with its boss battles and stuff. Made that version one of my favorites.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)