Author Topic: The 30 Best DS Games  (Read 39758 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
The 30 Best DS Games
« on: April 18, 2011, 06:10:12 PM »

The NWR staff voted, and here's our top 30 DS games.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/26080

With the 3DS out in the wild, the Nintendo DS is on its last legs. So, to celebrate, we all submitted our Top 10 DS games. It was tough, as the DS had a very robust lineup. Eventually, we realized we had to highlight the Top 30 games among all of our lists.

Over the course of the next two weeks, we'll reveal the Nintendo World Report staff's Top 30 DS games. Enjoy!

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline TurdFurgy

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
Re: The Best 30 DS Games
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 06:37:25 PM »
Wait.
Brain Age is better than Phantom Hourglass?

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 06:47:35 PM »
Before anyone has a conniption fit, I'm going to halfway agree with this ranking:

Brain Age is an innovative game that makes good use of the DS hardware, introducing "book mode," and generally exposing a lot of people to a new kind of gaming.  That's why I agree that, in the very least agree that it should be in the top 30, and that this place is a pretty good one.

However, Meteos and Phantom Hourglass in the high 20's?  I have to take issue with that.  Are there at least 20 other DS games that are better than Phantom Hourglass?  Hmm....we'll have to see.
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline Retro Deckades

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 06:49:55 PM »
Where does everyone stand on the "Phantom Hourglass vs. Spirit Tracks" issue? Personally, I enjoyed Spirit Tracks more, and think it's the better game.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 07:18:20 PM »
Brain Age is better than Phantom Hourglass?
The further you are from the top, the more variance there will be in the rankings due to the relatively low number of staff members, overall DS library experience, and the method of ranking. i.e. don't read too much into the numbers.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 07:29:00 PM »
What Aaron said.

We had, IIRC, 18 staffers submit Top 10 lists. #1 games received 10 points, #2 9 points, #3 8 points, etc.

I found the process fascinating, especially seeing what games didn't get mentioned and what ones seemingly everyone loved.

And, not to spoil too much, but Phantom Hourglass seemed to get more love than Spirit Tracks because, while ST is widely seen as the better game, people seemed to be more passionate about PH.

I encourage all you guys to show off your Top 10 lists. Maybe we'll do a reader top 10 list feature. :)
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 07:35:19 PM »
I can tell you one thing: if I'd been on staff when voting for this was going on, Henry Hatsworth would be higher than #30.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 07:38:33 PM »
- So we got Jonny to acknowledge ZX, huh?
- I'd complain about Hatsworth at the end, but a) it made it, and b) it's probably at the bottom of my top 10. That's good enough for me.
- As it concerns Zelda, I'm with Zach on Phantom Hourglass.

(Edit: My top 10 had I been a voter would be 1) Chrono Trigger, Pokemon Platinum, The World Ends With You, Planet Puzzle League, Elite Beat Agents, Professor Layton and the Curious Village, Retro Game Challenge, Dragon Quest IX, Henry Hatsworth and 10) Final Fantasy IV)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 08:38:26 PM by Shaymin »
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline StrawHousePig

• a tag
  • Score: -8
    • View Profile
    • Title available upon http request.
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 08:44:30 PM »
Meteos, one of the most over-rated piles ever made, over Phantom Hourglass? Well, this list is ruined right out of the gate. ;)
Old gamers never die, we just run out of quarters.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 09:06:41 PM »
Man I've been off the DS scene for too long.  I'm actually surprise on all those being so low except Hatsworth (I haven't played it.)  New Super Mario Bros. is even on the list I'll be offended.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 10:15:09 AM »
Meteos, one of the most over-rated piles ever made, over Phantom Hourglass? Well, this list is ruined right out of the gate. ;)

Haha not even, Meteos is easily the best puzzle game released in the last 15 years. It's my favourite DS game and it's still the only one I play consistantly to this day. It deserves a much higher spot than #28, so does Phantom Hourglass to be honest. I'd really love to see what crcok the jaded minds of the NWR staff will fill the rest of this list.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 11:26:22 AM »
I'm fairly certain Pokemon games would fill up part of my Top 10.  :P:

Overall, it looks to be an interesting feature. Perhaps I'll be inclined to try out some of the titles you place here.
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 12:35:46 PM »
Don't read this as "game A is better than game B." This wasn't an exercise to find the "Best" DS game.

In my rankings I gave preference to the first game over the second, unless there was something that made the second appreciably better. I gave Phantom Hourglass the leg up on Spirit Tracks, despite the fact that Spirit Tracks is a more polished title because Phantom Hourglass went there first.

On the flip I picked Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations over Ace Attorney because I feel it is much more accomplished.

Fun fact: I had to be near the top in "only person to nominate" count. Poor rage-creating Infinite Space.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 01:13:34 PM »
Don't read this as "game A is better than game B." This wasn't an exercise to find the "Best" DS game.
... Good words ...

Then why put numbers beside them? Just put them out as Batches.
Also I'm hoping that Pokemon is considered 1 entry or at least 1 per set.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 01:32:58 PM »
Because it's weighted by votes (see Neal's post above). This is not going to conclude the "this is the best DS game." We have the same problem during the award season, not everyone on staff played all games, so they're not able to evaluate each game.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 01:39:16 PM »
Be interesting to see the whose and where placements.

oh and AAAA Spoiler they find and open the box.....

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2011, 03:44:32 PM »
Before anyone has a conniption fit....

Okay, I'm going to take back what I said in my post earlier, cuz I'm about to have a conniption fit.

Phantom Hourglass got ranked lower than Tetris DS?  I understand what Neal said:

[/size]We had, IIRC, 18 staffers submit Top 10 lists. #1 games received 10 points, #2 9 points, #3 8 points, etc.

But that still means that PH was either ranked towards the bottom of staffer's top ten lists, or it wasn't included in everyone's top 10 lists. 

*grumble grumble*

Still, I love reading this list and the little write-ups.  This is one of the best features on the site in a while, and it'll definitely get people riled up.  This is why I don't read IGN anymore.
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 05:02:19 PM »
...Well, I like the feature.
Some of you need to chill. It's clearly meant to be a celebration of the DS library. Nobody is telling you what to think.

Perhaps it would cheer people up if they could vote for their favourite 10 games as well. If such a feature were to happen, my personal top ten would be:
1. Mario Kart DS
2. Professor Layton and Pandora's Box
3. Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
4. Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
5. Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
6. Rhythm Paradise
7. Pokémon Diamond
8. Soul Bubbles
9. Picross 3D
10. Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2011, 05:54:19 PM »
By the way, #26 through #23 are up: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/26083

EDIT: Also, Phantom Hourglass is very divisive. For example, Zach hates it with a passion. I'm also not a big fan of it. It has its lovers, but it has a lot of detractors.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Nemo

• View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2011, 12:46:57 AM »
I also hate Phantom Hourglass with a passion. I'd feel happier if it didn't make the list at all (because it would further affirm my own opinions of the game). But for anyone who did enjoy the game, I'm glad you could. I wish I could have, too.

Here's my list. Feel free to judge. ;)

1.  Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
2.  Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift
3.  Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
4.  Kirby: Canvas Curse
5.  Meteos
6.  Castlevania: Order of Eclessia
7.  Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
8.  Tetris DS
9.  Metroid Prime Pinball
10.Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2011, 03:05:36 AM »
Somebody likes Castlevania.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2011, 03:40:11 AM »
Yeah, no one is calling this list definitive. The fact that the staff can celebrate 30 awesome games, and that the "lower-ranking" games are loved passionately by others, says a lot about the DS library. Heck, my personal #3 is in the low 20's on our list.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2011, 08:41:55 AM »
I can't say that I enjoy the the whole drip feeding the rankings over the next two weeks shick going on here. Who ever came up with this idea needs to be put up a figurative wall and figuratively shot after being given a figurative cigarette.

Phantom hourglass is easily the most disliked Zelda I have played, almost single handedly due to Temple of the Ocean King. Even if I have 30 Games to rank, which I don't (25 owned, a couple more played), I wouldn't bother giving it a rank as it put me off playing it so much that I never finished it.

So far on the list the only other game I have played or owned is Meteos. Pretty fun game that is only as hard of a game as good of a player you are. It's not Tetris which can become almost zen like flow of clearing lines, but it's a good game and I have no beef ranking it either higher than Hourglass or it's position.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2011, 12:53:56 PM »
Thanks for the figurative threat, oohhboy! I'll figuratively ignore you and figuratively continue doing a lot of work for the figurative site. Figuratively!

I'm glad this is bringing up discussion, but just remember that 1) We all do this for free (making putting this together as one massive one-day feature a very tall order) and 2) This isn't a definitive list at all.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2011, 01:06:53 PM »
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"