Author Topic: Activision confirms Guitar Hero 5, Band Hero and DJ Hero.  (Read 6103 times)

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Activision confirms Guitar Hero 5, Band Hero and DJ Hero.
« on: May 07, 2009, 10:12:19 AM »
http://kotaku.com/5243549/dj-hero-guitar-hero-5-band-hero-hit-this-fall

GH5 is the next Guitar Hero sequel

Band Hero is a kid friendly version, think Lego Rock Band.

DJ Hero, no need to explain. :P

Heh.  It's strange that both Neversoft and Harmonix were both developing Kid-friendly music games.  I was really worried that Band Hero was going to be the full band set up and GH5 was going back to just guitar.  I can now rest easy.  I still think 4 very similar games (GHM, GHSH, Band Hero, GH5) is way too many.

I MIGHT get DJ Hero, but it better not keep my Motown and R&B out of my guitar hero.
Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: Activision confirms Guitar Hero 5, Band Hero and DJ Hero.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 10:33:40 AM »
They should have just made GHWT as good as Rock Band 2 is, core-game wise, and just release (great) DLC and track packs.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 11:25:28 AM »
I 100% agree with you.  Although I wouldn't mind 1 disc game per year that was exportable, that way I can get 160 bucks worth of songs for a thrid of the price.

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 11:26:42 AM »
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/980/980594p1.html

Oh, IGN just confirmed GH:VH.  LOLOLOLOLOL.

MOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 12:26:11 PM »
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/980/980594p1.html

Oh, IGN just confirmed GH:VH.  LOLOLOLOLOL.

MOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

How funny would it be if crowds starting "mooing" when Activision/EA show off their games at like E3 or another big event?
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 12:32:26 PM »
i hate "gaming"
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 03:43:16 PM »
I'll definitely be getting Guitar Hero 5 and Rock Band: Beatles this year in terms of music games.  I'm not sure about anything else.  Hopefully Neversoft/Activision can get it through their skulls that we want exportability for future releases.

Offline Mikintosh

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 06:19:08 PM »
I'll definitely be getting none of these (I'm still enjoying the first Rock Band when I get the chance to set it up). How much fun is a button-press turntable?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 06:32:09 PM »
This is getting more ridiculous than Dance Dance Revolution.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 12:32:12 AM »
It looks like each of the 3 buttons on the turntable are on a separate "gear" so you can press the button and spin that section of the fake record.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 01:09:23 AM »
I'll believe DJ Hero when I play it.  It has the potential to be really lame.   "Blue blue blue red red-blue WIKKA WIKKA WIKKA WIKKA"  Ugh.  At least playing guitar/bass/drums makes sense from a tactile standpoint.  If they can pull it off, kudos.

I'll be waiting to see if Harmonix makes a turntable peripheral for Rock Band.  I much prefer how they look at Rock Band as a "platform" rather than putting out constant rehashes.  Lego Rock Band, Unplugged, and Beatles Rock Band still interest me because they each seem like quality variations on the Rock Band concept.  With Guitar Hero, I just want to tell the whole franchise to firetruck off.  I'm so sick of it.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 09:50:14 AM »

I'll be waiting to see if Harmonix makes a turntable peripheral for Rock Band.  I much prefer how they look at Rock Band as a "platform" rather than putting out constant rehashes.  Lego Rock Band, Unplugged, and Beatles Rock Band still interest me because they each seem like quality variations on the Rock Band concept.  With Guitar Hero, I just want to tell the whole franchise to firetruck off.  I'm so sick of it.

I don't wanna start a GH v RB argument, because i honestly don't care about either franchise all that much. They're fun to play but if they announced the end of the series today, i wouldn't be upset about it.

Anyway, i just wanna ask for an explanation of why you feel the way you do about it. Usually when i ask that question, or see it asked, I end up with the same responses and it usually boils down to music zealots (or wanna be music zealots) stating how Harmonix employees are all musicians so they know music and how activision/neversoft are just corporate "posers" or whatever. It's this false sense of "**** the man!" attitude that fanboys spew out and THAT is what I'm sick of, and it makes me want to tell everyone "firetruck off" (lol).

Again, i'm not really arguing for GH or trying to put down RB. I'm just curious as to why you feel the way you do. I've seen your comments in other related threads enough to know you're not one of these fanboys, and you're not an idiot that spews garbage out for the sake of spewing garbage out, so I want to answer that intelligently, knowing that you speak for yourself and not other fans of RB.
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Mikintosh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 10:33:26 AM »

I don't wanna start a GH v RB argument, because i honestly don't care about either franchise all that much. They're fun to play but if they announced the end of the series today, i wouldn't be upset about it.

Anyway, i just wanna ask for an explanation of why you feel the way you do about it. Usually when i ask that question, or see it asked, I end up with the same responses and it usually boils down to music zealots (or wanna be music zealots) stating how Harmonix employees are all musicians so they know music and how activision/neversoft are just corporate "posers" or whatever. It's this false sense of "**** the man!" attitude that fanboys spew out and THAT is what I'm sick of, and it makes me want to tell everyone "firetruck off" (lol).

Again, i'm not really arguing for GH or trying to put down RB. I'm just curious as to why you feel the way you do. I've seen your comments in other related threads enough to know you're not one of these fanboys, and you're not an idiot that spews garbage out for the sake of spewing garbage out, so I want to answer that intelligently, knowing that you speak for yourself and not other fans of RB.

I know you weren't addressing me, but I personally don't prefer one over the other; Guitar Hero just constantly makes itself look bad by copying Rock Band, which is ridiculous as it was the one who came out first.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 11:40:40 AM »
See thats a decent answer. Like i said, usually I'll just hear nothing but "Harmonix are REAL musicians so their game is better" or "Harmonix are REAL musicians and not some corporate suits who do it just for the money" and other such BS.

I don't give a flying F-bomb about either company, i just buy the game if i'll enjoy it, and lucky enough for me I've enjoyed the 3 games i have enough to feel the purchases were worth it. I only played GH a few times on a buddys PS2, so i was happy that 3 was coming to wii. I was curious about Rock Band until they announced it wasn't coming to the Wii because of "technical limitation" crap, by then i thought "ok don't take my money cuz you think you NEED HD for another rythm game". They did get my money (well Circuit City did with their 40 or 50% price for it) with RB2 since it was full featured (hmm.. i thought there were too many technical limitations to get DLC on there!) but anyway..

I've spent enough time with GH3, GH:WT, and RB2 to know that each game has something they excel at (even if its only in my eyes) and the only thing i CANT stand about them, are the fans. I don't care how many more Guitar Hero's come out because the chances are damn good the track list will get less and less interesting to me, so instead of just hating the franchise and spending every waking moment on the internet complaining about it.. i just won't buy the game. Same goes for Rock Band. RB2's setlist is pretty weak for me, and the way the game has you progress is pretty damn annoying so I'm not that eager to jump into a NEW RB title, save for the Beatles game, but only depending on the set list and any new features they'll have.

Blah i'm ranting now.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 03:35:05 PM »
I'll believe DJ Hero when I play it.  It has the potential to be really lame.   "Blue blue blue red red-blue WIKKA WIKKA WIKKA WIKKA"  Ugh.  At least playing guitar/bass/drums makes sense from a tactile standpoint.  If they can pull it off, kudos.

Lindy wins the thread. But I share the same thoughts about the use of the Hero franchise. I think Band Hero targeting a younger crowd is a deliberate effect to counter Lego Rock Band. Even though I don't have the Wii version, I hope you can export Rock Band 2 songs to Lego Rock Band and The Beatles Rock Band if the PS3 and 360 versions feature such capability.  Then again Penny Arcade says it the best.

And Harmonix's musings are coming truer every day:
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 03:40:55 PM by Flames_of_chaos »
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 04:29:09 PM »
Rockstar has been working on Beaterator for years and that hasnt come out. Maybe they worked out why.

*continues waiting*

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 03:52:24 PM »
I didn't read any posts in this thread, just want to say I am getting soooo sick of all these band games now. Where is my brand new motion pluss Samba De Amigo?

Just read some of your posts. One thing I some of you said you don't like are the fans. And man i'm with you 100%! I think they really think they know how to play the guitar like that. I was watching some guy play in a GAMESTOP a while ago, no sound just clicking away. His emo friends rolled around, just amazed at what they were seeing... Oh god! don't know why that bugged me so much.

I remember Ian Sane saying something like one company stated that guitar hero was great for starting musicians. And though I never saw the actual press release/interview/what ever, it pissed me off to no end! I just want to shout "LOSERS" at the top of my lungs to those people! And im the guy who has been playing Pokemon for the last 11 years this june since I was 12. 

You know i'm just bitter Samba De Amigo hasn't gotten more popularity, the DC or Wii Version. I always hated it when these rock band or guitar hero guys told me I looked silly playing Samba, and they thought they just looked so cool clicking away on their guitars. 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 04:08:32 PM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Mikintosh

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009, 06:28:02 PM »
I didn't read any posts in this thread, just want to say I am getting soooo sick of all these band games now. Where is my brand new motion pluss Samba De Amigo?

Just read some of your posts. One thing I some of you said you don't like are the fans. And man i'm with you 100%! I think they really think they know how to play the guitar like that. I was watching some guy play in a GAMESTOP a while ago, no sound just clicking away. His emo friends rolled around, just amazed at what they were seeing... Oh god! don't know why that bugged me so much.

I remember Ian Sane saying something like one company stated that guitar hero was great for starting musicians. And though I never saw the actual press release/interview/what ever, it pissed me off to no end! I just want to shout "LOSERS" at the top of my lungs to those people! And im the guy who has been playing Pokemon for the last 11 years this june since I was 12. 

You know i'm just bitter Samba De Amigo hasn't gotten more popularity, the DC or Wii Version. I always hated it when these rock band or guitar hero guys told me I looked silly playing Samba, and they thought they just looked so cool clicking away on their guitars. 

Because guitars are cooler than maracas?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2009, 12:29:22 AM »
Didn't the first Wii Samba De Amigo sell about 14 copies?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2009, 05:56:32 PM »
Didn't the first Wii Samba De Amigo sell about 14 copies?

It was recently available as an Amazon Deal of the Day for $7, if that tells you anything.

My preference for the Rock Band franchise is based on several factors.  I consider the core experience that the games provide as basically the same, so I haven't hopped on either bandwagon.  I also have to shake my head at the fanboys who go on about how "playing Rock Band on Expert is like playing Guitar Hero on Hard".  All I can really say to that is...congratulations for having enough time on your hands to care about stuff like that.

What I like about Rock Band is that their DLC is always stuff I don't expect.  Guitar Hero DLC seems to be deliberately mainstream and seldom strays off the beaten path (as far as I'm concerned).  Rock Band, on the other hand, has weekly DLC that often makes me say, "Wow, it's cool that they released that track, but who the heck is going to buy it?  That band is so obscure!"  As a music fan I really appreciate that, because it tells me that they look at DLC as more than just a recurring source of revenue.  I could be way off-base, but it seems that they actually give a crap about exposing people to new types of music.

Their extensions of the franchise also seem to be done in measured steps, whereas Guitar Hero wants to be everywhere, all the time.  Aerosmith? Metallica? Band Hero? DJ Hero? Modern Hits? 80's? On Tour? World Tour? I can't make sense of it any more.  They're diluting their brand, and turning people like Caterkiller off to the entire genre.  Sure, Rock Band is getting a little more whorish - Rock Band Beatles, Rock Band Pearl Jam, Lego Rock Band, Unplugged - but these releases seem like logical directions in which to take the series rather than blatant rehashes or cash-ins.  The Beatles game will have a ton of fan-service extras, and will surely blow away the GH Aerosmith/Metallica games in that department.  I'm sure the Pearl Jam game will be handled the same way (for starters, they had fans vote on which live tracks they wanted on the track list).

Also, like somebody mentioned, the fact that Harmonix allowed you to import music from RB1 into RB2 was huge.  It showed me, as a customer, that their first priority wasn't to gouge me for every penny they could.  Meanwhile, Guitar Hero is over there using the GH III engine for a mediocre Aerosmith game that really didn't need to be made.

I'll never write off a Guitar Hero game, but it'll have to be considered to be flawless (i.e. it can't be missing stuff like the ability to save people in multiplayer) in order for me to pick it up.  Rock Band got my money first, and I'm pretty much entrenched at this point.

Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2009, 01:45:50 AM »
Samba De Amigo was awesome on it's own merits.  I really agree with Lindy with Rock Band, they have a lot of underground and obscure bands which is nice, they also have some kid friendly Spongebob songs for DLC so it seems like to me that they are trying to match every genre in a way and appeal to a very broad audience.

I also like how even the Wii Rock Band 2 DLC is beating the crap out of Guitar Hero World Tour DLC on all platforms. Wii's Rock Band 2 DLC selection is still playing catch up, while getting new content at the same time that the PS3 and 360 versions are getting. 
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2009, 11:00:16 PM »
The nice thing about GH5 is they confirmed that World Tour DLC will carry over.

I prefer the Guitar Hero instruments and interface but the way Rock Band is more of a platform is also very appealing to me. As long as GH instruments work with RB games then I will be buying both main sequels in the future.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2009, 04:54:36 PM »
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/a157609/eminem-and-jay-z-sign-up-for-dj-hero.html

Eminem and Jay-Z sign up to provide music, future DLC to the game.