Author Topic: Resurrect Double Dragon  (Read 5447 times)

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Resurrect Double Dragon
« on: April 08, 2003, 12:40:40 AM »
..with 4 player co-op/.  A nice side scrolling beat 'em up in 3-d with co-op 4 players would be great.  It would be cool if you could have 2 vs 2 in each level as well.  Double Dragon was never done justice on consoles.  I think it's about time to do it. Taito, are you around anymore?
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Resurrect Double Dragon
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2003, 12:46:19 AM »
yes definatly!!!
Battle Toads vs Double Dragon for gamecube (except rare owns battle toads dont they?)

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
Resurrect Double Dragon
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2003, 01:29:07 AM »
i have fond memories of double dragon...

if they resurrect the game, i would like the gameplay in 2-D, maybe with 3-D graphics.  i'm old school

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
Resurrect Double Dragon
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2003, 02:21:11 AM »
yep, 2-d mixed with 3-d is what i meant , too
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
Resurrect Double Dragon
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2003, 02:34:07 AM »
Ahh yes, the classic DD.
It kinda went downhill over the years though, wouldn't you say? I mean the original was bloody fantastic, the second was decent, the third was a clumsy joke, and Battle Toads and Double Dragon was more of a Battle Toads game anyway.

I couldn't imagine it in total 3D. Well, actually.. I can *Gets mental image of Wu-Tang on PSOne, pulls brain out from left ear*

So yeah, 2D/3D would work well.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Resurrect Double Dragon
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2003, 05:30:11 AM »
I believe the term you guys ar looking for is 2 and 1/2D or 2 1/2D.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
Resurrect Double Dragon
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2003, 06:48:06 AM »
The Double Dragon movie is the greatest cinematic work ever

Offline Luciferschild

• View Profile
Resurrect Double Dragon
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2003, 07:56:20 AM »
That was like one of my favorite games ever. Too bad they don't make games like that anymore, final fight as well. I think they should keep it in 2d also because I've never played a 3d beat em up game that was worth it's salt, though I haven't really ever played one. 2d is a sure thing though and because it's so simple they could concentrate more on gameplay instead of having to deal camera angles and all that crud. 2d sidescrolling is how it's done baby. (I'll just stick with calling it 2d oohhboy because that's the sreet term I grew up with). Co-op would rule.  

Offline BlackGriffen

• View Profile
Resurrect Double Dragon
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2003, 08:01:43 AM »
The Toads are owned by the defunct Tradewest, and I'm guessing that they bought DD before they died (not sure on that one, though). So, M$ owning Rare isn't a problem, in this case. Buying the copyrights from whatever person got them when TW broke up is another issue all by itself.

Yeah, I would love to see a sidescroller beat-em-up multiplayer that does the old games justice.

In that vein, Viewtiful Joe looks interesting, not multiplayer, though...

BlackGriffen

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Resurrect Double Dragon
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2003, 08:46:38 AM »
I used to be a big fan of 2D beat-em-ups until I realized that every one of those games is the same thing again and again.  Double Dragon would be nice for nostalgia but in reality any sort of beat-em-up just wouldn't fly in today's market.  The Bouncer is a beat-em-up and everyone complained that the game was too short.  Games like Double Dragon were really designed for arcades where their repetitive nature and short length wouldn't be so obvious.

Still I wouldn't mind see some GBA ports of arcade beat-em-ups like X-Men, The Simpsons, or Captain America and The Avengers that were never released on consoles.

One way that a Double Dragon game could work on a modern console is if they made the game online so that like 8 people could play at once.  Naturally they would have to have some big areas and lots of enemies for that to work right.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Resurrect Double Dragon
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2003, 09:06:49 AM »
unfortunately technos japan the creators of renegade, river city ransom, double dragon and the whole Nekketsu series went out of business...its really sad. Im working on getting peopel into my company and my main goal is to bring back co-op games...and not only bring them back but heavily innovate on them. My idea is to start off as a club, im getting readyto post flyers all aroudn my college campus. Im going to try to get as many peopelin the lub as possible...each one with a skill to contribute. We will work on a project until we have it pretty much completed and when that happens form a company and shop aroudn publishers. But really of all the games i have beaten recently old school river city ransom is the msot inspirational.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Luciferschild

• View Profile
Resurrect Double Dragon
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2003, 09:42:07 AM »
Iane Sane I couldn't disagree with you more. Drouble dragon had plenty of replay value because it was a great game. Sure it was simple but there was something about it that kept me playing over and over again. I can't say the same about most modern games. My favorite move was the hair-pull kick where you grabbed a guys hair and pounded him with your knee then threw him over your shoulder. That was sweat. I don't know how big the market would be but I bet it would sell just as well as metroid prime. I would buy it in a second if it was anything like the original. The nes dd didn’t have co-op  and was a poor imitation of the arcade version. So you never got the true experience unless you went to an arcade. I would have the game be like a remake of the arcade version but with new areas, twice as many levels, more moves and bosses and keep everything else relatively the same. And at the end since billy and jimmy fight each other, if you were playing co-op you would have to fight your partner as the final boss. That would be a trip.  

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
Resurrect Double Dragon
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2003, 10:33:05 AM »
  It could be online or LAN enabled.  LAN would be cool.

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
Resurrect Double Dragon
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2003, 11:01:12 AM »
Double Dragon never died, it just changed from a side scrolling fighter to a two-on-two fighter  named Rage of the Dragons (Neo*Geo). It doesn't continue the storylines in any of the games (to my knowledge) but it's a great fighter on its own.

The best sidescrolling fighter out now is still Sega's SpikeOut. After six years, Spikeout's a really good game, much better (and deeper) than Double Dragon/Streets of Rage/Final Fight.
"Snake felt a hunger for Meryl blossom within his loins."

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
Resurrect Double Dragon
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2003, 11:59:57 AM »
  I think DD is much superior to Final Fight.  I cant remember why, but DD was always more fun to me. It was more grappling and street fighting than actual 'moves' , or maybe just better 'moves'.  They could recreate the arcade feel, but with 4 players and about 40 missions

Offline Infernal Monkey

• View Profile
Resurrect Double Dragon
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2003, 12:39:19 PM »
Bah, Streets of Rage beat the crap (ha) out of both Double Dragon and Final Fight. Who doesn't love the ability to call out a cop car with a rocket launcher? Oh yeah.

If only Sega would make a new one! Sega of Japan were actually in the process of making an online version for Dreamcast, but Sega of America shot the idea down in flames many years back...

Offline Myxtika1 Azn

• The Master of the Fists
    • View Profile
Resurrect Double Dragon
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2003, 05:39:53 PM »
I loved the DD series for a few reasons.

1). The levels were not too long, and not too short.  They were just right.
2). The number of enemies were not to abundant, and there weren't any shortages of them.
3). I disliked games with super moves that decreases your energy when you use them.
4). The music kicked ass! Espcially DD II

Originally posted by: Infernal Monkey
If only Sega would make a new one! Sega of Japan were actually in the process of making an online version for Dreamcast, but Sega of America shot the idea down in flames many years back...

You mean that SOA actually has a say in what SOJ does?  I thought all major decisions were made in Japan. Hmm....

500 years ago, I shook the Pillars of Heaven.  Why should I fear a runt like you?

Offline Hybrid Hunter

• First title that's onrine
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Resurrect Double Dragon
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2003, 01:13:35 AM »
I'd like a DD game for GCN.
Online would be cool too!

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
Resurrect Double Dragon
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2003, 02:36:30 AM »
Why does everyone want all these old games to be re-done.

How about some new games for change. I think its time to drop all this rehashing crap gaming companies are doing.
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline Infernal Monkey

• View Profile
Resurrect Double Dragon
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2003, 04:19:52 AM »
thecubedcanuck,
Giving life to once popular gaming icons in a brand new, next-gen game isn't really rehashing. The world hasn't seen a decent console based beat em' up in quite some time now..

You mean that SOA actually has a say in what SOJ does? I thought all major decisions were made in Japan. Hmm....

For that one project, even Sega's Europe devision got a say, since it was planned to be the Dreamcast's big world-wide online game, there was rumours that the game would be released world-wide on the same day, so everybody voiced an opinion. Sega of America were total dildos, and badmouthed the idea. Hell, they didn't even know what SOR was.

Sonic Team later stepped in, and PSO was born...

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
Resurrect Double Dragon
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2003, 06:30:24 AM »
So far I've just been lurking, watching the old school and the new school duke it out, but I'm going to give in and throw in my two cents.

I have played these games, and I enjoyed them in their day, but I think that in order to make Double Dragon (or any beat em up) successful today, developesr will have to consider how to improve the genre.  I'm sure there are still plenty of players who love old school fighters like these, but I don't think the bulk of modern gamers will accept them in their classic form.  

Case in point: a game with no save feature is pretty much unheard of nowdays, but the Double Dragon series would have been way too easy if a save feature was included.  I don't think the game will be received well if players can't save, but how do you keep the game from being too short without getting boring and repetitive if you do allow them to save?

Anyway, I'm not against the idea, not at all, but I don't think it will be really successful unless the developer does it "right".
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
Resurrect Double Dragon
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2003, 10:45:33 AM »

Why does everyone want all these old games to be re-done.

How about some new games for change. I think its time to drop all this rehashing crap gaming companies are doing.

A game done with an already popular license does not make it a rehash.  It can be a totally new game.

Case in point: a game with no save feature is pretty much unheard of nowdays, but the Double Dragon series would have been way too easy if a save feature was included. I don't think the game will be received well if players can't save, but how do you keep the game from being too short without getting boring and repetitive if you do allow them to save?

More levels and maybe an rpg level up feature would enable a save option.  Plus, multi-player is where alot of the replay value would come.  I can't stress enough how great 4 players would be, on screen at once, or split screen, maybe each player taking different routes through the city.  And if a 4 way split is too confusing, then online or LAN.  I think , if done correctly, it could be a huge seller.

Offline Mercury Crusader

• View Profile
Resurrect Double Dragon
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2003, 09:30:42 PM »
I have enough classic beat-em-up games to last me a lifetime, but I'm not against a new game in the genre if it's either innovative enough or at least tons of fun like the old classics.  I'm eagerly awaiting the release of Evil Dead: A Fistful of Boomstick (Evil Dead fan), which is a beat-em-up game, and even though it's not going to be on the GCN and even though it's not very innovative or original in concept, that shouldn't detract from it being a potentially fun game (plus, it's "alleged" MSRP is $20 U.S., so I'm not complaining).  Then again, I'm not overly picky about games and only care if it's fun or not.
NES Horsemen - Something about root beer, right?
My Video Game Collection - I got bored one day.