Author Topic: Okami (Capcom to send out replacement box art!)  (Read 110466 times)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Re: Okami
« Reply #225 on: April 19, 2008, 03:11:12 PM »
It shows the dev used whatever scraps they had, and Capcom hardly cared about the product.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #226 on: April 19, 2008, 04:31:00 PM »
Its official: ANYTHING that features the IGN logo is teh suck.

And Pro, considering how much you post in this thread I take it you haven't even touched the game.

I know from experience that the loudest fanboys are those that most likely haven't played the game. I mastered that art myself! :D
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 19, 2008, 05:10:12 PM »
I still haven't opened Okami. I can't decide which game to play first, Baroque or Okami.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 19, 2008, 05:16:26 PM »
That wolf knows that IGN watermark isn't supposed to be there, which is why he is trying to bite it.
is your sanity...

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 19, 2008, 09:43:42 PM »
Picked it up yesterday and its slowly but surely growing on me. Just got the cherry bomb technique I find that my brush strokes are recognized better (read:straight lines) when I play on my HDTV, as opposed to my little CRT TV next to my computer. Heck, the LCD TV option is a 'stroke' of genius, there's no 'ghosting' effect! Wish other games had this option...

So yeah, its great so far, and can't wait to play some more!

Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #230 on: April 20, 2008, 12:48:55 AM »
I been playing this all day! Ya know the other day I was saying that there are 4 weapon types well I was wrong There are 3 types and  an  accessories column Other than find out that I have been doing side quests. On a unrelated note one of my friends gave me a Zelda 2 gold cartridge.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 20, 2008, 03:53:40 AM »
Well IGN has a head to head and they say it is a tie. What is tremendously stupid with the analysis is the guy who did it, makes ZERO mention of holding the Z trigger to draw straight lines. Instead he complains about how drawing straight lines is broken with free form controls.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 20, 2008, 04:24:15 AM »
Welcome to the present state of videogame journalism... oh wait. OH WAIT.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #233 on: April 20, 2008, 10:30:54 AM »
Well IGN has a head to head and they say it is a tie. What is tremendously stupid with the analysis is the guy who did it, makes ZERO mention of holding the Z trigger to draw straight lines. Instead he complains about how drawing straight lines is broken with free form controls.

I haven't found drawing straight lines to be a problem even without the z-button. As a matter of fact, I think the bigger problem has to do with some of the shoddy detection of certain brush strokes. Some parts of the game have been trying for me because it doesn't want to recognize the stroke I made. Not sure if that problem spans across both systems, but it is my ONLY complaint with the game.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline matt oz

• APPLES!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 20, 2008, 11:11:08 AM »
I'm about 3 or 4 hours into Okami, and I'm not too crazy about it so far.  There are definitely things I like.  The game is very Japanese, which I'm not used to.  I don't just mean the story and the mythology behind it, but the method of story exposition and the art style, which is absolutely beautiful.  Just another example of how you don't need hi-def graphics/hardware to make a gorgeous game.

I had a problem with the game freezing about an hour in, but that hasn't repeated itself thankfully.  I really don't like the combat mechanics.  I hurt my wrist with all the damn shaking.  Very, very poor use of "motion" controls, because I had to stop playing.  Shaking the remote does absolutely nothing to add to the immersion, and I really can't stand it when developers use "shake the remote" as a replacement for a button press, which is considerably easier and takes nothing away from the game.  I'm also having a lot of problems with the game registering my brush strokes.  I never played the PS2 version, but unlike whoever mentioned it above, I think drawing with an analog stick would be a lot easier.  Think about it: if it were any harder to draw on the PS2 than it is on the Wii, then this game would not have gotten all the praise it has, because the controls would have been BROKEN.  They're barely above broken as it is on the Wii.

All in all, I should've bought this game a year ago when there was nothing to play on the Wii.  I chose this game over 4 or 5 others that I wanted to buy, and I think that was a mistake.
Wii Code:  7894 - 4898 - 7716 - 3649

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 20, 2008, 11:41:51 AM »
I still have had very few problems with getting my strokes to be recognized, with Bloom being the one that has sometimes not worked (due to not having a round enough circle or slightly off-center)...You just need to get used to making quick, efficient movements instead of trying to do them slowly...

And don't jerk your wrist when doing motion attacks...A quick, subtle beat will work just the same, and will make it easier to get the rhythm down for combos (ex. pretend you are using a drumstick on a drum)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 20, 2008, 11:45:54 AM »
The only sequence I had a problem with doing the bloom was when When Mr. Orange did his dance to restore all the cherry blossoms in the village you start off with, sometimes it registered it as the sunrise technique since my circle also touched the sky
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #237 on: April 20, 2008, 12:12:25 PM »
The only sequence I had a problem with doing the bloom was when When Mr. Orange did his dance to restore all the cherry blossoms in the village you start off with, sometimes it registered it as the sunrise technique since my circle also touched the sky

I had the exact same problem. Not sure what it is, but generally speaking anytime I have one of those sequences the recognition is not so great. In combat I have no problems, and I think as you get into the game further, combat only gets better. At first I didn't like it, but as you get more brush strokes and attacks, fighting becomes more fluid and interesting.

But anyway, yesterday I was playing the game with someone who has played the PS2 version multiple times and they were dumbfounded as to why some of the seemingly perfect brush strokes I had made were not being recognized. Like I said before I LOVE the game, I think it is absolutely phenomenal (though I do think it is very derivative of the Zelda series) but those brush stroke sequences are very trying, in my experience.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #238 on: April 20, 2008, 12:59:24 PM »
I was playing this yesterday and you get this awesome brush stroke that lets you walk up walls.Later today I am going to use that brush ability to explore the world and pick up things I might of missed along the way.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 20, 2008, 04:49:03 PM »
The controls in Okami are very odd, because reviewers are split on them. Some love it and some don't. I don't think I've ever seen such an even split between opinions.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: April 20, 2008, 05:42:44 PM »
The controls in Okami are very odd, because reviewers are split on them. Some love it and some don't. I don't think I've ever seen such an even split between opinions.

Ya ever split the opinion cake?  Thats more even then 2, 4, and 6 COMBINED.

DUUURRR HURRRRR
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #241 on: April 20, 2008, 05:49:46 PM »

You say that as if you don't read Wii reviews often... :p
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 21, 2008, 02:09:46 AM »
I think destructoid's Review is the best I read about Okami: The Review

Now I know your dying to know what they said about the controls and if you analyze it closely it's actually true.

"This brings us to the Wii port of Okami. The difference between this build of the game and the PS2 original is enormous. While the PS2 brush controls were sluggish and distancing, they were incredibly easy to perform. Drawing a perfect line in Okami with the analog stick was a simple as pressing the stick in the desired direction. In this way, Okami's PS2 controls were the equivalent to the auto-aiming found in Resident Evil 2; dummy-proof, but stagnant, with no capacity to provide a sense of mastery or skill building. On the Wii, you will screw up your brush techniques for the first few hours you play because (gasp) the game actually requires some skill. This isn't due to the controls being poorly implemented. It's because painting a straight line in real life is quite hard. That's why man created rulers.

Once you develop the skill (and the muscle memory) to effectively make a straight line in the Wii edition of Okami, it becomes second nature. This actually causes the game to move much faster on the Wii than on the PS2. The brush on the PS2 build of the game would only move at a specific, predetermined speed. On the Wii build, the brush moves as fast as your hand moves. Those with skills will be whipping out brush techniques with lightning speed, far faster than possible on the PS2. Actually, the slower your brush strokes in Okami on the Wii, the more likely you are to mess up with a shaky, squiggly line. Again, just like in real-life painting or drawing.

In the end, though, a game's controls are not about how easy they are or fast they are, but about how well they immerse and engage the player. That is why this Wii port of Okami was necessary. Creating brush strokes with your arm and seeing the 1:1 results on-screen builds a real feeling of connection between the existence of the player on one side of the screen, and the game world on the other. Where Okami's controls on the PS2 only worked to build a wall between players and the game, the Wii controls actually break the wall down."

And the motion controls:

"Also worth a quick mention are how the motion controls work in Okami's more basic functions, like melee combat. Again, the PS2 build of the game's controls are decidedly easier. Button mashing yields huge, skill-free combos on the PS2's Okami, where the Wii build's motion controlled attacks require strict timing to perform. The trade-off is again between ease and depth, with the more mindless but simple controls to be found on the PS2, and the more skill-intensive but difficult controls on the Wii."
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #243 on: April 21, 2008, 02:49:06 AM »
That review describes the controls more eloquently than I ever could. The wii controls are exactly as they describe. All review should be like this,what the game IS, not what you preconceived notations.
Edit: I just checked and you do have it. Ugh. Do you have any gripes with the game? How far are you?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 02:53:27 AM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 21, 2008, 02:50:56 AM »

"Also worth a quick mention are how the motion controls work in Okami's more basic functions, like melee combat. Again, the PS2 build of the game's controls are decidedly easier. Button mashing yields huge, skill-free combos on the PS2's Okami, where the Wii build's motion controlled attacks require strict timing to perform. The trade-off is again between ease and depth, with the more mindless but simple controls to be found on the PS2, and the more skill-intensive but difficult controls on the Wii."

Wii is so HARDCORE!!!!11!!

:D
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #245 on: April 21, 2008, 03:45:28 AM »
I just noticed some thing in the ground there are sometimes these little gold things in the ground and if you dig there you can unearth a treasure chest. Just a observation. Of the many things I like about the game the thing that stands out to me is the music. It is so epic and grandiose.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #246 on: April 21, 2008, 07:28:25 AM »
I just noticed some thing in the ground there are sometimes these little gold things in the ground and if you dig there you can unearth a treasure chest. Just a observation. Of the many things I like about the game the thing that stands out to me is the music. It is so epic and grandiose.

Agreed, the music is beautiful in the game and sorely needs to be on the next Radio Trivia.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 21, 2008, 08:54:16 AM »
About registering brush strokes, IIRC the PS2 version tracked the center of the line you drew, to register as a circle the center had to cross itself which requires more overlap than the visuals suggest. Took me a while to get used to but then it stopped being a problem.

Challenge is something the game could use more of, at least during the later game. It's perfect at first but falls off very quickly.

TP > Okami BTW.

Oh and Issun needs to STFU. Dude's Navi mk2

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #248 on: April 21, 2008, 09:35:31 AM »
TP > Okami BTW.

Oh and Issun needs to STFU. Dude's Navi mk2

Truth.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 21, 2008, 04:00:28 PM »
I'm still deciding whether to pick this one up. Regarding the "organic" nature and seamless transitions between dungeons and overworld, I actually like that Zelda games have strictly defined dungeons. They're supposed to be a separate part of the world; a place where something is hidden and you don't know what awaits you.

Plus, dungeons in general are my favourite parts of Zelda games. Never cared much for the exploring part, which is why I guess I enjoy Mario games more.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig