Author Topic: REVIEWS: The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass  (Read 45265 times)

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
REVIEWS: The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
« on: October 05, 2007, 05:26:04 AM »
It's like Wind Waker without all the stuff that made Wind Waker so awesome.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/reviewArt.cfm?artid=14526

There are two kinds of Zelda fans in the world. There are those who appreciate the series for the exploration aspect. These people enjoy overturning the overworld, searching for Heart Pieces, secret holes, mini-games, and interesting characters. I include myself in this category, and we tend to think that Wind Waker is the greatest Zelda story ever told. And then there are the dungeon-crawlers, who find overworld shenanigans a tireless chore to the real meat and potatoes of the game: dungeons. These people seem to like Twilight Princess the best (yeah, I’m using modern examples). Personally, I couldn’t stand Twilight Princess for reasons I won’t go into here. Wind Waker, however, is in my Top 3. It’s my favorite video game in recent years. I still tool around with my original save file to this day, searching for that ever-out-of-reach final Heart Piece. Anyway, when I heard that Nintendo was crafting a sequel to Wind Waker on the DS, I was overjoyed. I was bouncing off the walls when my NWR colleagues recruited me to review the game. I received the game two days ago, and have been furiously playing it ever since. And I’ve got something to tell both the explorers and dungeon-crawlers among you: this ain’t the Zelda you know and love.    

The game opens with a brief (and very entertaining) storyboard explaining the events of Wind Waker and follows it up with a cinematic scene detailing Tetra’s kidnapping by an evil ghost pirate ship (I’m really not spoiling anything, folks). Link leaps overboard to save her, but he ends up in the briny depths, only to be rescued by a fairy named Navi… I mean, Ciela. Upon speaking with Ciela’s grandpa, Link learns that the ghost ship kidnaps people on a fairly usual basis, and if he wants to rescue his friend, Link must find the guardians of Power, Wisdom, and Courage. It's sort of like every Zelda game since Link to the Past. Our hero sets out with Ciela in tow and a questionable sea captain named Linebeck, who charters Link from island to island. Although a bit too talkative, Linebeck has his moments and eventually proves useful in your journey.    

As you may have heard, Phantom Hourglass has a unique control scheme which depends entirely on your skills with the stylus. Hold the stylus on the screen in the direction you want Link to run. Tap enemies or make a horizontal line to make Link attack with his sword. Draw a circle around Link to do a spin attack. Trace the path of your boomerang, set a course for your boat, aim bombs, rocks, and arrows…it’s all done with the stylus. The only button you’ll ever press is B, and that’s to quickly bring the map screen down for you to write on. This is one of the best aspects of the game, in fact: writing on your map. You can take notes, point to important locations, and just plain scribble all over your maps. In one memorable instance, you’ll have to trace the outline of an unmapped island, then mark the locations of four Gossip Stones to solve a riddle.    

Unfortunately, the stylus control takes some serious getting-used-to for Zelda veterans. Any kind of D-pad control scheme (even one for left handers using the ABXY buttons) is absent, and while Nintendo’s goal was to make the process more streamlined and intuitive, I never forgot that I was holding a stylus, dragging and tapping it on the screen like a monkey to make Link move. Using items is a chore, for example, because you must first tap "Items," then tap the item you want, then tap the item window, the use the item. God forbid you should have to switch items in the middle of a fight. Furthermore, because I can’t draw a straight line to save my life (with a tiny stylus, anyway), my ship and boomerang routes often look more like desperate squiggles than methodic attempts. I certainly appreciate what Nintendo is trying to do, but in practice the control scheme is a little awkward.  I must praise the amount of experimentation in Phantom Hourglass, though. You’ll be "stamping" your map by closing your DS, yelling at a shopkeeper, blowing out candles, and using the top screen to see what your enemy sees. It’s a shame that none of these unique applications are used more than once or twice, but there’s always something new to try, and Phantom Hourglass goes out of its way to demonstrate the unique gameplay possibilities afforded by the DS.    

The much-lauded (or laughed-at) Wind Waker aesthetic is in full effect for Phantom Hourglass, albeit in a low-res sort of way. The game really is in 3D, though, and it’s good-looking 3D. Characters are just as expressive as they are in Wind Waker, and the primary colors and simplistic texturing are still there. Looks aside, however, Phantom Hourglass is an entirely different game. This is both good and bad. I was worried, frankly, that Nintendo would somehow bring Ganon back into the game, even though he’d been stabbed in the head and turned to stone by Link just before the beginning of this game. And if not Ganon, we’d get Vaati, that awkward fill-in villain whose ties to the greater series continuity have always been in question. Instead, we get a brand new storyline featuring a brand new antagonist, which is a huge plus. Sadly, though, after the game’s opening sequence, there are no plotline or character ties to Wind Waker. Phantom Hourglass lacks the mythos of Wind Waker, and it can’t decide whether it wants to be an entirely separate game or not.    

Phantom Hourglass’s gameplay flow also mimics that of Twilight Princess more so than Wind Waker. This DS game is basically a dungeon crawler, and trips to other islands exist only so you can learn about where the next dungeon is. Sure, there are some token "new islands" to discover, but their contents are rarely very exciting. I greatly enjoyed the freedom offered by Wind Waker. If I wanted to, I could forego the main quest for days and explore instead, completing my map of the Great Sea, finding neat stuff on interesting islands…you get the idea. Phantom Hourglass, however, does not meet that need. Instead, island-hopping is a practical matter. The weather conditions never change, the sea never swells, and you’ll rarely see another ship anywhere. I’m sure this is due to hardware limitations, but I really miss that aspect of Wind Waker.    

Even Twilight Princess fans, though, will be groaning in agony about the Temple of the Sea King, a horrendous chore of a dungeon which I’ll have to use some apt comparisons to illustrate. Remember how, in Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, you were often asked to travel to Dark Aether? It had an acidic atmosphere that constantly drained your health, and to survive, you had to travel between safe zones, where your health would slowly go back up. But Dark Aether was never fun (until much later in the game). Well, imagine a Zelda dungeon like that, with typical dungeon puzzles. Now add invincible guards who wander the halls and have a Metal Gear Solid-like vision cone. If you’re seen by a guard, you usually die (unless you can get to a safe zone). Also, and this is the kicker, there’s a timer. Yes, a timer. When that timer runs out, your health begins to plummet. Oh, and I forgot to mention that you’ll have to traverse this dungeon several different times. In fact, each time you complete an overworld dungeon, you will have to go back to the Temple of the Ocean King and start from the very beginning, with all the puzzles reset, and a little bit more time in the hourglass (this gets a tad less severe later in the game), and go farther into the dungeon. After every overworld boss, you gain access to a new basement level, the theory being that you’ll eventually confront the game’s final boss.  The fact that you don’t get to start from where you left off is mind-boggling. Why Nintendo would make the horrifying decision to make players dredge through the whole freaking dungeon multiple times is beyond me. Is artificially lengthening the game their goal? Why not just put more islands on the map, or resort to that tired old light/dark world mechanic? I should mention here that Nintendo stripped a lot of Zelda mainstays from the game, including Heart Pieces, the dungeon compass, and wallet upgrades. These are all welcome changes (except the Heart Pieces), but the Temple of the Ocean King is beyond ridiculous.    

I guess I should mention the two-player Wi-Fi game. No, it’s not Four Swords. Instead, it’s a mini-game that mimics the Temple of the Ocean King! Need I go on? One player is Link, who tries to collect Force Gems and sneak past the other player, who is a Phantom (one of the giant invincible guards). The multiplayer does have the advantage of being single-card downloadable, but other DS games have much stronger Wi-Fi outings, chief among them Metroid Prime: Hunters and Mario Kart DS. By comparison to those meaty offerings, the multiplayer component of Phantom Hourglass seems like a tagged-on feature.    

It’s obvious that Nintendo has tailored Phantom Hourglass to a more casual, less Zelda-familiar audience. From the touch screen controls to the lack of connection with Wind Waker and the strip-mining of traditional Zelda items, you need not be a Zelda vet to enjoy Phantom Hourglass. At the same time, though, it becomes difficult to fully enjoy Phantom Hourglass if you are a Zelda vet. The lack of even an option for D-pad control tells me that Nintendo did not have their Zelda fan base in mind when they were creating Phantom Hourglass. And that’s okay, I guess. It’s still a decent game, but it’s also a game apart from the rest of the series. It just feels different, and I think it demonstrates that Nintendo is reluctant to sail into the murky waters beyond Wind Waker. The end of that game left a lot of possibilities open, but the path taken by Phantom Hourglass is, in all honesty, lame. Try not to think of Phantom Hourglass as a direct sequel to Wind Waker, and perhaps instead as a sort of pseudo-sequel, like Majora’s Mask was to Ocarina of Time. Then you might enjoy it more. Me? I am just sad to see so many great characters and gameplay mechanics left at the docks while Nintendo sailed into more casual waters.

Pros:

• It looks great, with fully 3D characters and environments
  •  
  • The opening sequence made me misty-eyed with happiness
  •  
  • The touch screen controls aren't all bad; they just take some getting used to

•        Cons:

• The connection to Wind Waker is incredibly weak
  •  
  • Touch screen controls will feel awkward to Zelda veterans
  •  
  • The Temple of the Ocean King

•                Graphics:  9.0
           I can’t really fault the 3D look, but the environments can, on occasion, look pretty bland (especially dungeons). There are no weather effects while on the open sea, and many of the character models look, for lack of a better word, unfinished.

Sound:  6.0
           Again, why Wind Waker did not serve as some sort of basis, I don’t know. The inspiring ocean theme from that game is nowhere to be found here, except in a neutered, toned down form. The best music is in the intro, because it will make you remember all the awesome themes from Wind Waker. The individual islands generally have the same boring theme, and the dungeon theme is, perhaps, the worst theme in all of Zelda history.

Control:  9.0
           By the end of Phantom Hourglass, you will have scratched the hell out of your touch screen. But aside from the somewhat awkward movement controls, by and large the stylus controls are welcome and unique. Writing notes on your map and drawing lines for your boat to follow are tasks that never get old.

Gameplay:  6.5
           I’m chalking up the gameplay problems to Phantom Hourglass’s two big failures: the Temple of the Ocean King and all the freaking dungeon crawls. Even if you like dungeon crawling, you will hate the Temple of the Ocean King and that stupid Phantom Hourglass.

Lastability:  6.0
           Frankly, I never want to suffer through the Temple of the Ocean King again, so unless there’s some incredible unlockable feature that lets me bypass it in subsequent playthroughs, I do not see myself playing Phantom Hourglass again after I initially beat it. I’ll just play Wind Waker instead.

Final:  7.5
           For a game that claims to be a sequel to the greatest Zelda story ever told, Phantom Hourglass retains very few of the features that made its predecessor so memorable. Nintendo just made some bizarre choices with this game, many of which will turn off Zelda loyalists like me. It’s a good game, but it’s just far too different from traditional Zelda games to warrant the same praise as its peers.      

This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • Score: 34
      • View Profile
    RE: REVIEWS: The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
    « Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 05:38:12 AM »
    "Touch screen controls will feel awkward to Zelda veterans"

What!?  For someone who claims to be a "Zelda loyalist," I really don't see any evidence that you really are one...And I don't see how you personally disliking something makes it a bad thing, considering I found the Temple of the Ocean King incredibly fun and hectic...
    ~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Patchkid15

• NWR Staff
    • Score: 1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 05:41:18 AM »
    I love this game so far, so i disagree with most of what you said. I like the control its fun, new, and interesting. And the Temple of the Ocean King is very enjoyable. Its a new gaming experience to the Zelda Franchise.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
    • NWR Staff Pro
    • Score: 48
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 05:49:16 AM »
    ZOMG!!! EPIC!!!

... I REALLY want to play this game now.
    Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
    The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
    Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
    Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
    For never was a story of more woe
    Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • Score: 42
      • View Profile
    RE:REVIEWS: The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
    « Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 05:52:36 AM »
    Temple of the Ocean King is terrible, it is like a timed, poor version of Metal Gear Solid without any of the fun.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 06:02:09 AM »
    7.5 for a Zelda game.  I'm surprised there hasn't been more "HOW DARE YOU..." posts written yet.

The more I hear about this game, even if it's negative or postive opinion, the more weary I am of playing it.  Yet now I'm more interested and want to play it sooner just to see what it's like.  Interesting marketing strategy there Nintendo.  Using the ol' Star Wars prequel strategy to get me to pay for something I suspect I won't like just so I can form a proper opinion of it.  It really sounds like sell-out non-gamer Zelda though, which is annoying.  More evidence that non-gamers are Nintendo main focus I suppose though I doubt no one on either side of the arguement will change their opinion.

"And I don't see how you personally disliking something makes it a bad thing"

Well what the hell kind of review is he supposed to write?  You want reviews like Game Informer's infamous Paper Mario review where they gave the game a crappy score because they figured their audience wouldn't like it?  Personal opinion is the best way to go.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 06:04:49 AM »
    Temple of the Ocean King is fluff added to make the game longer. Just the fact that everything resets if you die makes it quite clear that this is all it was.  

Offline Kairon

• T_T
    • NWR Staff Pro
    • Score: 48
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 06:05:02 AM »
    [inflammatory]This is the score NSMB should've got![/inflammatory]
    Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
    The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
    Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
    Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
    For never was a story of more woe
    Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 06:14:43 AM »

Originally posted by: Kairon

And it got 6 more points then Alien Syndrome should have gotten!

Offline Maverick

• Internet newbie :-)
    • Score: 3
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 06:43:54 AM »
    Gotta say I disagree with this one.  I've only beaten the second temple so far, but I'm loving it.  It's a fun and interesting new way to play, and it has the fun look and environment of Wind Waker.  It may be on the easy side, but Zelda certainly isn't known for being hard (at least not the 3D versions).

I'm having a great time and waiting anxiously 'til I get off work so that I can play some more!
    Come play with my Twitter.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • Score: 28
      • View Profile
      • Six Sided Video
    « Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 06:46:09 AM »
    ZELDA IS DEAD.

Let's get things straight.

Wind Waker did not satisfy the people who like collecting crap, cuz the game world was a swimming pool of glue that deterred people from travelling around.

Twilight Princess did not satisfy the people who like [ZELDA] dungeons cuz it was full of linear non-challenges, and weak non-bosses.

It really is right to say TP is the last Zelda as we know it, cuz Nintendo will no longer invest in these epic disasters -- only the kind that pulls in the casual soccer dads and lapsed Game Boy Color players.
    :: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
    PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline shammack

• "This space intentionally left blank."
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 07:02:46 AM »

Using items is a chore, for example, because you must first tap "Items," then tap the item you want, then tap the item window, the use the item.

Wrong.  You choose the item you want from the menu ONCE, the first time you use it, just like every other Zelda game in history (except Four Swords Adventures).  You don't even have to tap the item window; you can just hold L or R, as explained to you in the game as well as in the manual.

As for the rest of the review, almost all of these complaints basically boil down to "It's not Wind Waker."  Wind Waker was a great game, but not everyone wants to play the same game again.  This review would be better suited to a Wind Waker fansite than a site that ostensibly covers all sorts of games with some semblance of objectivity.  You've talked pretty much exclusively about the ways you don't like it as much as Wind Waker, and that's not really useful information to someone who's not as in love with it as you are.  Phantom Hourglass is a different game and should be evaluated on its own merits.

The Ocean King dungeon is annoying, yes -- I can't defend having everything reset each time -- but I'm several dungeons in and I've yet to be killed by the phantoms or come close to running out of time, so it's more of a feeling of "hmm, I wouldn't have made this design choice" than anything that actually affects the gameplay significantly.

There's still plenty of stuff to do in the overworld.  No, not as much as Wind Waker, but what do you expect on a handheld?  There may not be heart pieces, but there are still lots of hidden treasures everywhere, on the ground and in the sea.  If anything it's more satisfying now because if you see something you can't get to yet, you can mark it on your map and know to come back later when you have the right tools.  You can still ignore the main quest and explore on your own.  From what I've seen so far it's been pretty much the same ratio of hidden stuff to main quest that I'm used to from Zelda.

And quit harping on this "casual gamer" nonsense!  Zelda games haven't been difficult since the NES days, and this one is no more "casual" than any other.  A different control scheme is not a threat to your manhood.  The gameplay mechanics of PH are no more of a departure from the series than any of the other handheld Zeldas.  You explore an overworld, progress through dungeons by solving puzzles, and defeat bosses.  If that's casual then it's always been casual, and if it's hardcore then it's still hardcore.  It makes no difference, because whatever you want to call it, fun is fun.  I'm having fun with Phantom Hourglass, and I'm able to do it without renouncing the things I liked about Wind Waker.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
    • NWR Staff Pro
    • Score: 1147
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: October 05, 2007, 07:03:16 AM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix

Originally posted by: Kairon

And it got 7 more points then Alien Syndrome should have gotten!

fixed
    James Jones
    Mondo Editor
    Nintendo World Report

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: October 05, 2007, 07:20:05 AM »
    Zelda: Link to the Past says differently about Zelda games not being hard since NES days. And I'm sorry but touch controls are a huge departure from the series. not to mention the fact that having your hand in front of the main gameplay screen to control link does suck you out of the world. The complaints are perfectly legitimate here, the game feels like Zelda Lite in more ways than one.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • Score: 34
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: October 05, 2007, 07:48:13 AM »
    "not to mention the fact that having your hand in front of the main gameplay screen to control link does suck you out of the world."

Your hand must be huge, and this is coming from a guy who has really big hands...

"You want reviews like Game Informer's infamous Paper Mario review where they gave the game a crappy score because they figured their audience wouldn't like it?"

Um, if you look at the quote I pointed out, that's exactly what the review is doing...He's making a hilarious generalization based on his own tastes on what Zelda vets will like or not like...Basically, it's points off because it's not like the previous Zeldas...Which is something I thought you'd like, but of course you change your mind on what makes a good sequel every time it doesn't fit your constantly negative point-of-view, so meh... =|  
    ~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: October 05, 2007, 07:54:06 AM »
    urgh... did you have to mention the temple by name? warn of spoilers the next time, now I will be predisposed when I get there, you should've just said one dungeon was problematic instead of pinpointing it by name.

And no Zelda ever has had a "strong" connection with any previous iteration, not even MM, a completely direct sequel to OoT, the game barely mentions the princess and thats it, so I have no idea where this complain comes from.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: October 05, 2007, 08:11:41 AM »
    Wow a 7.5? Really? I'll have to try this game and find out for myself . . . but danm wasn't expecting a 7.5 after all the positives I read about the game.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
    • NWR Junior Ranger
    • Score: 98
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: October 05, 2007, 08:23:52 AM »
    I do have to say that I disagree with this review.  I too am loving this game.  I'm not too far into it, but so far, I rank it above Wind Waker and Twilight Princess both.

"I never forgot that I was holding a stylus, dragging and tapping it on the screen like a monkey to make Link move."
    As opposed to, you know, pushing buttons like a monkey to make Link move?
    Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: October 05, 2007, 08:25:19 AM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion

Your hand must be huge, and this is coming from a guy who has really big hands...|

I'm sorry but hand size has nothing to do with it, you are still putting your hand in front of a small screen with a stylus. Games like SM64DS avoided this by having you control with the bottom screen and have the action on the top, it hurts your interaction with the game. Then again if you are blinded by Zelda Barebones Hourglass you wouldn't be able to see these flaws.  

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: October 05, 2007, 08:25:41 AM »
    "Basically, it's points off because it's not like the previous Zeldas...Which is something I thought you'd like, but of course you change your mind on what makes a good sequel every time it doesn't fit your constantly negative point-of-view, so meh"

I like it when a sequel changes things up but it still has to be GOOD.  I'd rather have a good play-it-safe sequel than a really different sequel that sucks.  Metroid Prime is pretty different from Super Metroid but it's still really awesome.  Metroid Prime Hunters is also very different but in a way where it utterly lacks what I like about Metroid in the first place.  It's not a hardfast rule where change is always good or always bad.

I will admit the review has a little too much Wind Waker comparing.  I honestly don't care how a Zelda game compares to a previous one.  The series as a whole?  Definitely.  But just one game and one that I consider one of the weaker Zeldas?  Doesn't seem like something important to focus on.

Oh and I agree that having your hand in the way sucks for any game but that's the problem with touchscreens in general.  A mouse (or the Wii Remote I guess) is a WAY better way to do that sort of thing but obviously Nintendo can't do that with a portable.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: October 05, 2007, 08:28:15 AM »

Originally posted by: mantidor
    urgh... did you have to mention the temple by name? warn of spoilers the next time, now I will be predisposed when I get there, you should've just said one dungeon was problematic instead of pinpointing it by name.

And no Zelda ever has had a "strong" connection with any previous iteration, not even MM, a completely direct sequel to OoT, the game barely mentions the princess and thats it, so I have no idea where this complain comes from.

The problem is that this game was hyped as the sequel to the Wind Waker, and even dumbed down its mechanics to fit on the DS. It was stated to be a real sequel to Wind Waker, taking place in the same world, Majora was in an alternate reality. So once again that is an example of the game not really being a Zelda game, but no game really was a true sequel, this game on the other hand was supposed to be.  

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: October 05, 2007, 08:30:24 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane

Oh and I agree that having your hand in the way sucks for any game but that's the problem with touchscreens in general.  A mouse (or the Wii Remote I guess) is a WAY better way to do that sort of thing but obviously Nintendo can't do that with a portable.

Ian you can still avoid it though by using the touch screen as your control screen and the top screen as your main gameplay screen.  

Offline LuigiHann

• View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: October 05, 2007, 08:30:52 AM »

Your hand must be huge, and this is coming from a guy who has really big hands...|

I'm sorry but hand size has nothing to do with it, you are still putting your hand in front of a small screen with a stylus. Games like SM64DS avoided this by having you control with the bottom screen and have the action on the top, it hurts your interaction with the game. Then again if you are blinded by Zelda Barebones Hourglass you wouldn't be able to see these flaws.

The controls in Phantom Hourglass are much better than the controls in SM64DS.

If your hand is blocking the view, get a longer stylus. That's what I did for EBA.  

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
    • Score: 10
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: October 05, 2007, 08:30:55 AM »
    Loving this game so far.  has a great zelda feeling that I have gotten since OoT and Majora.  But I am a freak.
    FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
    Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: October 05, 2007, 08:32:47 AM »

Originally posted by: LuigiHann

The controls in Phantom Hourglass are much better than the controls in SM64DS.

If your hand is blocking the view, get a longer stylus. That's what I did for EBA.

You still have the stylus. There is no getting around that. Also I don't believe I said the controls um, controlled bad, but that it takes you out of the experience when you have a freaking stylus or hand in front of your main gameplay screen.