Poll

Will Nintendo pull off another 30 for 30 in Japan sales this year and, if so, how many times?

Yes. 1 time.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 2 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 3 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 4 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 5 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 6 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 7 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 8 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 9 times.
2 (18.2%)
Ninten-domination! 10 times or more that the top 30 goes to Nintendo Software.
4 (36.4%)
No. It doesn't happen once this year. Sony plays spoiler.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 16, 2023, 10:54:36 AM

Author Topic: Official Sales Thread  (Read 3167717 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: Official Wii Sales Thread
« Reply #7800 on: March 08, 2012, 12:14:25 PM »
Even the Wii wasn't all that successful at it's beginnings.

Why do you say that? The Wii was sold out continuously for like the first two years of its life. There was no possible way it could have done better than it did (unless Nintendo had manufactured more).

The Wii is like the opposite of the PSP. The PSP had a terrible beginning, but then in the final years of its life Monster Hunter came out and the sales exploded in Japan. The Wii on the other had explosive sales from day one, but then in its final years it slowly declined until we are at where we are now where even the Vita is outselling it.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 12:16:30 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #7801 on: March 08, 2012, 12:38:50 PM »
I think the PS2 even outsold it a couple of weeks during its first months. 

This is factually true, at least in America, but I don't think anyone can point to a lack of demand as the cause.

Edit: And beaten. Twice.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #7802 on: March 08, 2012, 06:44:40 PM »
My guess is Sony with be very patient with the Vita as they saw what could happen with the PSP and all it needing is a Monster Hunter or two to really catapult it to the top of the charts.

Fixed that for you.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7803 on: March 08, 2012, 07:07:00 PM »
The major thing the PSP had going for it though was since the DS was an N64 level power machine, it couldn't do certain 3D games like Monster Hunter.  This allowed for the PSP to eventually become a success in Japan because it allowed for gaming experiences that weren't possible on the DS.

The problem for Sony this gen is the 3DS is now Gamecube level power, which allows it to do all types of 3D gaming experiences.  Yeah the Vita can offer better graphics, but the core gameplay can be easily replicated on the 3DS which allows Nintendo to easily steal any exclusives the Vita might have like they did with Monster Hunter.

Yeah the Vita might eventually get something that saves the system again, but the ways things are looking right now, it's going to be a hell of a lot harder.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7804 on: March 08, 2012, 07:22:02 PM »
Even the Wii wasn't all that successful at it's beginnings.

Why do you say that? The Wii was sold out continuously for like the first two years of its life. There was no possible way it could have done better than it did (unless Nintendo had manufactured more).

The Wii is like the opposite of the PSP. The PSP had a terrible beginning, but then in the final years of its life Monster Hunter came out and the sales exploded in Japan. The Wii on the other had explosive sales from day one, but then in its final years it slowly declined until we are at where we are now where even the Vita is outselling it.
I thought we were all talking about the Japanese market.  My whole post was based on that.  It was definitely not sold out besides the first week or so in Japan.

In the US, the PSP was outselling the DS until the DSL came out and NSMB was released.  PSP did well at first in the US and then faultered like the Wii.  The Wii just lasted longer.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 07:24:39 PM by Louieturkey »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #7805 on: March 08, 2012, 07:43:43 PM »
Yeah the Vita can offer better graphics,

Graphics have never meant much on handhelds. That's been evident ever since the Spinach monochrome Gameboy kicked the ass of the full color Gamegear way back in the day. People who care about graphics also care about the size of the screen, so they want to play their games on a big screen HD TV, and not some tiny little screen. If the VITA had the capability to output HD quality video to a fullscreen TV then it would be a big deal, but apparently it can't do that, so I don't think the videophile crowd is going to care much about it.
is your sanity...

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7806 on: March 08, 2012, 07:57:44 PM »
The only situation I can see where better graphics would really matter is if the hardware was similar enough to allow for easy PS3 ports.  A lot of devs might be interested in that sort of thing.  The 3DS doesn't really have that option.

If a publisher can easily down-porting some console game they're working on to bring a portable version to the market, then they might favour the Vita over the 3DS.  Even if the userbase isn't as large the lower cost of down-porting the same game, instead of making a unique 3DS title might make it worthwhile.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #7807 on: March 08, 2012, 08:05:04 PM »
NPD!
http://www.gamespot.com/news/february-game-sales-slide-20-npd-6365198

FEBRUARY 2012 US GAME SALES
OVERALL DOLLAR SALES
Total retail sales: $1.06 billion (-20%)
Non-PC hardware: $381.4 million (-18%)
Non-PC software: $464.4 million (-23%)
Total software: $485.7 million (-24%)
Accessories: $215.2 million (-16%)

TOP 10 GAMES FOR FEBRUARY 2012
Title (Platforms) - Publisher
1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (X360, PS3, PC) - Activision
2. Final Fantasy XIII-2 (X360, PS3) - Square Enix
3. UFC Undisputed 3 (X360, PS3) - THQ
4. Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (X360, PS3, PC) - Electronic Arts
5. Just Dance 3 (Wii, X360, PS3) - Ubisoft
6. NBA 2K12 (X360, PS3, PS2, PSP, Wii, PC) - Take-Two
7. Soulcalibur V (X360, PS3) - Namco Bandai
8. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (360, PS3, PC) - Bethesda Softworks
9. Twisted Metal (PS3) - Sony
10. Battlefield 3 (X360, PS3, PC) - EA

Looks like Final Fantasy 13-2 and Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning fared well for their debut month. Also, Soul Calibur 5 and Twisted Metal (2012) managed to chart as well. UFC Undisputed 3 taking 3rd place is a bit of bright news for troubled THQ.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7808 on: March 08, 2012, 08:07:46 PM »
It's good to see FF XIII-2 do well, as it is a good game.  I wonder how well it actually did, though, because it was a Down month overall.  I hope people actually gave the game a chance and it wasn't just a game that did proportionately well in a bad month.

I am disappointed to not see The Darkness 2 in the Top 10.  That game is excellent.  Syndicate isn't on there either, which is a little disappointing since it's also good, but I wasn't really expecting it to chart.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #7809 on: March 08, 2012, 08:46:47 PM »
1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (X360, PS3, PC) - Activision

If only this game were available on the Wii. Hmm....
is your sanity...

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7810 on: March 08, 2012, 10:38:08 PM »
It's good to see FF XIII-2 do well, as it is a good game.  I wonder how well it actually did, though, because it was a Down month overall.  I hope people actually gave the game a chance and it wasn't just a game that did proportionately well in a bad month.

According to the mods at Neo Gaf with NPD data FFXIII-2 sold 350k copies while FFXIII sold 1.3 million copies in its first month.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7811 on: March 08, 2012, 10:55:02 PM »

According to the mods at Neo Gaf with NPD data FFXIII-2 sold 350k copies while FFXIII sold 1.3 million copies in its first month.

Is there any chance that this isn't taking into account Day 1 sales, given that FF XIII-2 launched on January 31st, after the NPD recorded its data for January but before recording its data for February?  Because that's pretty weak for a AAA multiplatform RPG.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #7812 on: March 08, 2012, 10:57:38 PM »
Well, Final Fantasy X sold 6.6 million worldwide while Final Fantasy X-2 sold 3 million worldwide, so it's not unprecedented.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #7813 on: March 09, 2012, 02:07:12 PM »
The NPD told Joystiq that "some examples" of the 3DS titles that made the list include Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure, Mario 3D Kart, Super Mario 3D Land, FIFA Soccer, Lego Star Wars 3: The Clone Wars, Lego Pirates of the Caribbean, Resident Evil: Revelations, and Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games -- the last two on that list being February releases.
Per Joystiq.
Seems pretty cool.  Eight 3DS games in the top 25 even if none were in the top 10.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 12:54:28 AM by Louieturkey »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #7814 on: March 10, 2012, 12:06:43 AM »
FIFA 12 for 3DS is excellent, one of the best games I've played on the system, so it's good that it's selling well.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #7815 on: March 14, 2012, 07:57:36 PM »
Japan Numbers!
http://www.siliconera.com/2012/03/14/this-week-in-sales-the-debut-of-hatsune-miku-and-future-stars-project-mirai/

Period: The week of March 5th – March 11th (2012)

Top-seller: One Piece: Pirate Warriors – 90,133

Nintendo 3DS sales: 68,951 | Total sales: 5,242,639

PlayStation Vita sales: 10,041 | Total sales: 610,062

Lw   Tw   Title   Weekly Sales   Total Sales   Sys.   Publisher
01.   01.   One Piece: Pirate Warriors   90,133   745,907   PS3   Namco Bandai
New   02.   Hatsune Miku and Future Stars: Project Mirai   86,676   New   3DS   Sega
New   03.   Street Fighter X Tekken   58,471   New   PS3   Capcom
New   04.   Mobile Suit Gundam UC   51,669   New   PS3   Namco Bandai
New   05.   Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D   38,374   New   3DS   Konami
02.   06.   Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games   23,587   66,741   3DS   Nintendo
06.   07.   Mario Kart 7   17,813   1,564,025   3DS   Nintendo
08.   08.   Super Mario 3D Land   17,336   1,403,654   3DS   Nintendo
03.   09.   Harvest Moon: The Land of Origin   16,378   124,886   3DS   Marvelous AQL
09.   10.   Monster Hunter Tri G   14,286   1,297,797 3DS   Capcom
05.   11.   Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy   12,811   112,344   3DS   Square Enix
New   12.   Girls RPG: Cinderella Life   9,519   New   3DS   Level 5
07.   13.   Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations   8,591   92,266   PS3   Namco Bandai
New   14.   Street Fighter X Tekken   8,527   New   360   Capcom
New   15.   Unit 13   8,089   New   PSV   Sony
11.   16.   Doraemon: Nobita no Kiseki no Shima   6,546   18,775   3DS   Furyuu
10.   17.   Tales of the Heroes: Twin Brave   5,164   102,831   PSP   Namco Bandai
16.   18.   Just Dance Wii   5,152   560,301   Wii   Nintendo
18.   19.   Monster Hunter Portable 3rd (PSP the Best)   5,104   212,627   PSP   Capcom
22.   20.   Wii Sports Resort   5,000   887,800   Wii   Nintendo

Familiar titles sticking around with some new ones popping up. Project Mirai's first week sales are the lowest compared to the Project Diva series. Snake Eater 3D sales comparable to Peace Walker HD.

EDIT:
http://www.4gamer.net/games/117/G011794/20120314064/

3DS   68,951
PS3   34,816
PSP   16,176
Vita   10,041
Wii   8,322
PS2   1,363
Xbox 360   1,290
DSi LL   850
DSi   502
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 04:52:49 AM by Enner »

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #7816 on: March 15, 2012, 01:56:01 AM »
OK so how long can Sony go on like this before they just had enough? What other hardware started so poorly? Gamecube? Anything? I've got to think if nothing catches this gen, this'l be the last handheld from Sony.

I mean anything aside from X-Box in Japan.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 01:58:42 AM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7817 on: March 15, 2012, 02:10:02 AM »
I hope it performs poorly enough that they have to take drastic measures like Nintendo did with the 3DS. Not because of any ill will toward Sony, but because I'm interested in purchasing one, and would rather pay less than the current price.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #7818 on: March 15, 2012, 08:30:12 AM »
The difference is Nintendo was selling the 3DS overpriced and making a huge profit, and gamers were not happy with the price, so Nintendo could afford to lower the price.

If Sony is selling this thing for a loss or near price, they can't cut it much lower, because it would actually hurt them more.  I am really curious if this device will become popular because the Vita really is a cool system in concept, and proved that Sony can come up with some original ideas. 

I think the system will eventually pick back up steam once it has more games...just like the 3DS.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #7819 on: March 15, 2012, 11:03:21 AM »
In the US the Vita is doing better and in Europe the Vita is doing great (not sure why since it costs the most there).  It's strange to see the Vita doing badly in Japan but so far no major RPG hit the system (Capcom's Dragon Dorma might change that).

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #7820 on: March 16, 2012, 07:27:52 AM »
In the US the Vita is doing better and in Europe the Vita is doing great (not sure why since it costs the most there).  It's strange to see the Vita doing badly in Japan but so far no major RPG hit the system (Capcom's Dragon Dorma might change that).

Europe has a history of buying Sony stuff, hasn't it? Also, I'll bet some people wanted more portable FIFA. As for Dragon's Dogma, you sure there's a Vita version? That's the first I've heard of it.
As far as RPGs go, there haven't been big splashes for the Vita. It does have a Monster Hunter type game in Ragnarok Odyssey.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7821 on: March 16, 2012, 07:38:26 AM »
If they wanted portable FIFA they should have saved some money and bought the 3DS one, which, as I've pointed out, is fantastic. Right up there with Mario and Resident Evil as one of the best games on the system.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #7822 on: March 16, 2012, 11:42:16 AM »

As for Dragon's Dogma, you sure there's a Vita version? That's the first I've heard of it.

There isn't a Vita version, or at least it hasn't been announced. I think he ment Monster Hunter, but both games look so similar that I can see anyone getting confused by it.

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #7823 on: March 16, 2012, 11:54:51 AM »
If they wanted portable FIFA they should have saved some money and bought the 3DS one, which, as I've pointed out, is fantastic. Right up there with Mario and Resident Evil as one of the best games on the system.

True, but isn't there a history of Nintendo not being as popular as its competitors in Europe? I've heard on hearsay that non-Nintendo systems like the Mega Drive and Playstation are/were more popular. Never did check for hard numbers though.

As for Dragon's Dogma, you sure there's a Vita version? That's the first I've heard of it.

There isn't a Vita version, or at least it hasn't been announced. I think he ment Monster Hunter, but both games look so similar that I can see anyone getting confused by it.

Ah, those two games look different in my eyes. That may come from familiarity. Monster Hunter looks more colorful and goofier. Dragon's Dogma in comparison looks a bit drab and dark.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #7824 on: March 16, 2012, 12:26:34 PM »
PS1 and PS2 were more popular during their generations.  DS is the best selling system of all time in Europe (and many other places) and I think the 3DS is the fastest selling system of all time.  The Wii outsold the PS3 and 360.  The PS3 has outsold the 360 there as well, at least according to Wikipedia.  So take all that with a grain of salt.