Author Topic: Miyamoto Confirms Revolution Control for Zelda  (Read 41618 times)

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Miyamoto Confirms Revolution Control for Zelda
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2006, 10:13:02 AM »
Something is not right here.

Didn't Reggie just say that you CAN NOT use (The) Revolution controller to play GameCube games? This leads me to think something else. Sonic and Knuckles lock on Technology. What if Zelda:TP Came with 2disc but it's really only one. The 8cm GameCube has 5 small points on it so it can fit in side a 4cm ring to make a 12cm disc for Revolution Gameplay. Its not that hard and the 12cm disc would still be sturdy and flush. I don't know how to explain it better but that's whats going to happen. And I'm taking all bets.
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline RiskyChris

• View Profile
RE:Miyamoto Confirms Revolution Control for Zelda
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2006, 10:21:32 AM »

Originally posted by: Nile Boogie

Didn't Reggie just say that you CAN NOT use (The) Revolution controller to play GameCube games? This leads me to think something else. Sonic and Knuckles lock on Technology. What if Zelda:TP Came with 2disc but it's really only one. The 8cm GameCube has 5 small points on it so it can fit in side a 4cm ring to make a 12cm disc for Revolution Gameplay. Its not that hard and the 12cm disc would still be sturdy and flush. I don't know how to explain it better but that's whats going to happen. And I'm taking all bets.

Or maybe you can't use the revmote with SSBM because it wasn't designed for it, but you can use the revmote for Z:TP because it was designed for it?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2006, 10:31:25 AM »
"*cough* PS2 *cough* ! In other words Ian, before you type think about it again, and again, and again, and again..."

The PS2 was the follow up to one of the most successful consoles ever made.  It sold out at launch because of hype and shortages.  By the time shortages weren't a problem its one next-gen competitor had pulled out of the race and it had months go by without any competition.  Then when the competition did arrive it had an insane barrage of killer games that dwarfed the competition.  This included a game called Grand Theft Auto III which no one thought would be a big hit.

Last time I checked the Rev doesn't have any of these incredibly fortunate scenarios which are the real reason why the PS2 was so successful.  I doubt the million or so people who actually owned a PS2 for the first six months bought the system for Final Fantasy IX.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2006, 10:42:41 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
Wait... isn't that worse?  I would hope they have a little more faith in their own launch lineup.

If Zelda can sell a few extra Revs that's good.  But the Rev should not rely on a Gamecube game to sell.  It's screwed if it is.  The Rev concept has to be good enough to stand on it's own.

When you have proof that it isn't (ie you've played all the Rev launch titles), then you can make claims like this.

LIKE I SAID, Zelda is like the old testament of the gaming world: there are a good many gamers who are literally religious about it and will only purchase a Nintendo system when Zelda graces it. A good many of them consider WW a betrayal of the franchise, and don't bitch me out about that because that's how THEY feel, not me, and as much as some may not like it, Nintendo wants their money, too.

Rather than wait until they can release a full Rev Zelda, they can use the GC Zelda to push the Rev, making the Zelda Zealots far more likely to pick up a Rev now than when the Rev Zelda releases later, and just maybe Nintendo can introduce some of them to the wonders of Metroid and SSB in the meantime.  
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2006, 11:03:11 AM »
I still have to marvel at the success of games as crappy as the GTA series.
Though I will confess to liking the second one.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2006, 11:14:13 AM »
"When you have proof that it isn't (ie you've played all the Rev launch titles), then you can make claims like this."

I didn't make any claims.  I was just responding to what Jonny said.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2006, 11:18:07 AM »
Wait a second, why are we discussing Rev control for Twilight? We are missing the biggest news in this article, and that is....KOOPA KIDS in SMB DS!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2006, 11:34:18 AM »
I thought the Koopa Kids news came out yesterday, or maybe two days ago.
How come I got that snippet yesterday, but not the Twilight Princess Rev bit?  Two different interviews?
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2006, 11:41:58 AM »

"*cough* PS2 *cough* ! In other words Ian, before you type think about it again, and again, and again, and again..."

The PS2 was the follow up to one of the most successful consoles ever made.  It sold out at launch because of hype and shortages.  By the time shortages weren't a problem its one next-gen competitor had pulled out of the race and it had months go by without any competition.  Then when the competition did arrive it had an insane barrage of killer games that dwarfed the competition.  This included a game called Grand Theft Auto III which no one thought would be a big hit.

Last time I checked the Rev doesn't have any of these incredibly fortunate scenarios which are the real reason why the PS2 was so successful.  I doubt the million or so people who actually owned a PS2 for the first six months bought the system for Final Fantasy IX.

I agree that Sony was lucky to have had those conditions (no competition on system launch, and had good # of games to choose from when it had competition) to warrant their succes, but it still had a weak launch line-up and Sony did hype the backward-compatibility feature on the PS2 as another good reason to get the PS2. So what I'm getting at is that if you think what Nintendo is doing is such a screwed-up idea than think twice again because Sony did the same and is doing it again because it will bring them sales, Nintendo is using that same strategy which is bound to give $$$, and that strategy will work even better because they will use a flagship title to help the REV sales.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2006, 11:55:17 AM »
"So what I'm getting at is that if you think what Nintendo is doing is such a screwed-up idea than think twice again because Sony did the same and is doing it again because it will bring them sales, Nintendo is using that same strategy which is bound to give $$$, and that strategy will work even better because they will use a flagship title to help the REV sales."

The Rev is trying to sell a new concept though.  The concept is very important since the hardware isn't apparently on par with the competition and without it the Rev's just an underpowered "normal console".  So the launch lineup better do a good job of selling that concept.  I'm not saying that Zelda won't help Rev sales or that's it's not a good idea.  What I'm saying is that the Rev can't sell on Zelda alone and Nintendo shouldn't expect it to.  The launch titles still have to deliver or at least some of them do.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2006, 12:08:30 PM »

The Rev is trying to sell a new concept though.  The concept is very important since the hardware isn't apparently on par with the competition and without it the Rev's just an underpowered "normal console".  So the launch lineup better do a good job of selling that concept.  I'm not saying that Zelda won't help Rev sales or that's it's not a good idea.  What I'm saying is that the Rev can't sell on Zelda alone and Nintendo shouldn't expect it to.  The launch titles still have to deliver or at least some of them do.

Problem is, you're basing your entire argument on a fact which no one yet knows anything about.

I don't think anyone here is saying that Nintendo can skimp out on Revmote-heavy games at launch because they have Zelda. We're just saying that using Zelda to sell backwards compatibility and more Revs is an excellent idea.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2006, 12:38:14 PM »
Damn.. I know it was all but confirmed, but still..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2006, 01:11:24 PM »

Originally posted by: Nile Boogie

I'll put down 100 bucks.

The reason other GC games can't use the Rev controller is because they weren't programmed to use it. Much like how gb games don't use the shoulder buttons on the gba. and gba games don't use the x and y buttons on the ds. although they could be programmed to at this time.

Oh no if TP uses the revmote to play, isn't my arm going to get tired cuz i'm a lazy bum and don't think that arm movements are better than an analog stick? No i guess not, bring it on baby!!  
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline AManatee2

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2006, 01:29:18 PM »
will they have this at e3? i mean.. playing zelda with the rev controller?

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2006, 02:40:09 PM »

Pro summed up my thoughts nicely.

EDIT: Actually, I still don't believe it. Miyamoto is a liar!

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2006, 02:49:26 PM »

Originally posted by: IceCold
Damn.. I know it was all but confirmed, but still..

Argh! its the triple thread answer again...

So, Im so dissapointed that Im out of words now, besides what I already responded in the other thread.. .well... f!ck you Nintendo....

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline RiskyChris

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2006, 03:07:12 PM »
I don't understand the Nintendo hate.  They haven't said this means that content is locked except for on the revolution...

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2006, 03:10:52 PM »
We are former nintendo fans.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2006, 03:32:15 PM »
This is cheap, plain and simple, For instance I was thrilled about Metroid Prime 3, but it seems Nintendo is ok with just putting remote functionality on a game like Metroid Prime 2. This cast a shadow of doubt of the kind of software they are going to put as a first party on the Rev. Its like they really see the remote as just a gimm!ck, not a new way to play games.

at least Ill get this game, sadly knowing their promises of their exclusive focus on making the ultimate traditional Zelda game were bullsh1t. Ill of course wait and see before dismissing the Revolution, but the usual hype I had for Nintendo's excellent first party titles is absolutely gone.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2006, 03:46:46 PM »
Were people bent out of shape when Zelda DX could be played on a regular GB, but got the extras if you played on the GBC? Were people crying when they found out that they could only get some extra goodies if you plugged the oracles games on the GBA? Anybody?

New Super Mario Bros has piqued my interest. Mushrooms to make you smaller? What next?
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2006, 03:52:25 PM »
omg! of course, the GB and GBC were so radically different that the case is comparable with this one :rolleyes:

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2006, 03:57:20 PM »
Mushrooms that make you stay the same size!

mantidor doesn't make sense to me.

For instance I was thrilled about Metroid Prime 3, but it seems Nintendo is ok with just putting remote functionality on a game like Metroid Prime 2

What are you even talking about.  What did you expect?  What else could Metroid Prime 3 be, besides a sequal to Metroid Prime 2 with remote functionality?  I don't understand.

Oh, unless you think Nintendo is ACTUALLY going to release an upgraded Metroid Prime 2 for the Rev as a new game.  Cause that's just silly.  And also completely different from Zelda.  THAT I would be pissed about.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2006, 04:01:36 PM »
Im not going to explain it again :/ its such a long rant, but long story short, imagine putting in a Link to the Past analog stick functionality, the analog stick would be completly wasted, if they just make a normal Metroid Prime game, the potential of the controller would be wasted, and the result would be a gimm!ck, just like analog stick on a 2D zelda game.

"Oh, unless you think Nintendo is ACTUALLY going to release an upgraded Metroid Prime 2 for the Rev as a new game."

yup, yup, thats what Im fearing. They think that the idea alone is ok since they are doing it with Twilight Princess.

I mean, the idea of applying remote functionality to old gameplay ideas instead of new ones, what Ian always says, replacing button presses for gestures, because thats basically all they can do for Twilight Princess unless they revampe the whole game and forget about its GC counterpart, which will also piss me off to no end.

Offline RiskyChris

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2006, 04:11:58 PM »
Miyamoto said that you can fire the bow and arrow in TP with the revmote.

OH NO HAND GESTURS FOR BUTTON PRESSES?!?

No, he said that you point to aim, and press a button (omg digital!) to shoot.

By the by, you're totally overreacting.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2006, 04:17:08 PM »
So there's going to be two difficulties... easy free aiming with the revmote, or clumsy slower aiming with the GC stick. Why even bother playing the GC version? Are they going to make the enemies harder to accompany this new control scheme? They are juggling fire here.

Also, Metroid Prime 3 is going to make Twilight Princess its bitch, releasing at the same time with REAL next gen graphics and REAL next gen controls.