Author Topic: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)  (Read 410577 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)
« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2012, 05:08:36 PM »
Wouldn't that make every console an upgrade machine?

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2012, 05:14:09 PM »
Not at all. This is the iPhone strategy at work.

Most new systems don't allow you to use your old controllers, and especially don't build new games around them. Most new system don't allow you to take your entire previous catalog and play them using the new controller. And finally, most new systems do not look similar to their past counterparts, handhelds not withstanding.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 05:16:25 PM by Stogi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2012, 07:58:13 PM »
That's not the iPhone strategy. The iPhone strategy is to offer minimal improvements over the previous model, once a year, and then provide OS updates that screw people that bought last year's model.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2012, 04:28:16 AM »
iPhone OS upgrades don't screw over the people from the previous year. Hell, iOS 6 is supposed to do just fine on a 3GS, which came out three years ago
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2012, 05:03:37 PM »
iPhone OS upgrades don't screw over the people from the previous year. Hell, iOS 6 is supposed to do just fine on a 3GS, which came out three years ago
They are supporting 3GS, but I can say that IOS 5 significantly slowed down my 3GS, which is what my wife uses now (she's getting the new iPhone this year).  My 4S is running smooth on IOS5 and will probably do the same on IOS 6.  When IOS 7 comes out, I expect my 4S will slow down.  Each new version of IOS is optimized for the most recent hardware revision and it is shoehorned into previous versions.

But IOS and iPhone have nothing to do with the Wii and Wii U.  If they worked the same, the Wii would be able to upgrade to the Wii U OS and play its games.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2012, 05:21:25 PM »
The iPod Touch would like a world.  Only the current generation is working with the new OS when an iPod Touch is really just ans iPhone without the Phone part.  The iPhone enjoys the upgrades simply because they want to support the model until the last reasonable contract is up.  You don't want to make someone made who is looking to replace there old phone.  iPad 2 there still selling.

Anything that can have a data contract with a wireless vendor is a bad example.

Though I agree that Wii to Wii U is a different beast.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2012, 06:22:00 PM »

The older Iphones don't have siri.  Siri is not some processing powerhouse that required a new phone since there are similar programs on Android phones and this was apparently originally being developed as an app until Apple bought it.

I also don't believe any phone below 4S will have turn by turn directions when they come out in the next update probably because they are going to make it a big selling point of the next phone like they did siri.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2012, 07:20:52 PM »
Siri isn't a must have feature, so that is a moot point.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2012, 07:42:01 PM »
Unless you like gazpacho.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 21, 2012, 10:03:50 PM »
Like I said in another thread, a jailbroken 3GS can run Siri perfectly, and so can an iPhone 4, but Apple won't let you. A jailbroken iPhone 4 can run face time just fine over 3G, and even Edge, but Apple won't let you. Now only the 4S and 5 will get navigation, even though a weak ass $50 phone from Metro running Android 2.1 can do it just fine via Google Maps. An iPhone 2G is perfectly capable of sending and receiving MMS, but Apple won't let you. Nintendo does not use the Apple model, and for that, we should all be thankful.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 21, 2012, 10:20:51 PM »
Like I said in another thread, a jailbroken 3GS can run Siri perfectly, and so can an iPhone 4, but Apple won't let you. A jailbroken iPhone 4 can run face time just fine over 3G, and even Edge, but Apple won't let you. Now only the 4S and 5 will get navigation, even though a weak ass $50 phone from Metro running Android 2.1 can do it just fine via Google Maps. An iPhone 2G is perfectly capable of sending and receiving MMS, but Apple won't let you. Nintendo does not use the Apple model, and for that, we should all be thankful.

A Homebrewed Wii can play DVD's, but Nintendo won't let you.
A Homebrewed Wii can store and load data off of a HDD, Nintendo won't let you.
A Homebrewed Wii can run apps directly off the SD card, Nintendo won't let you.
Nintendo may not be using the "Apple Model", but they are sure using an Apple-like one. :) :P

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #86 on: June 21, 2012, 11:10:20 PM »
Actually BlackNMild you point something out that is important to understand.

Some of these limitations are not created because of the hardware creators, but because of licensing and partnerships. 

Apple didn't allow facetime via 3G because AT&T and other partners didn't want the bandwidth eaten up with video chat...not to mention people realizing that video and internet phones are the future and the current cellphone plans being dictated to us SUCK. 

Now, yes...Apple should have allowed Software upgrades to function on ALL hardware it is capable of.  However, they are still a business...and businesses have to promote you buying new products.  Nobody would have bought a 4S iphone if Siri would have worked with the old model.   Unfortunately Apple, didn't have a compelling hardware upgrade for their phone, and just had a minor update with some really nifty software upgrades.

Actually, this is the problem with the Cellphone model wars.  Every year and month a new greater phone is released...and not every year is it really worth upgrading your phone or computer for that matter.  Not even every 2 years...the iphone 4S will be completely functional for all activities I would ever need a phone for...for at least 3-4 years.  However, if a new model isn't made every year...people say Apple or Samsung, or whoever is out of touch and losing the market.   And market perception is everything. 

This is actually what killed Nintendo in the first play with the Wii...people assumed it wasn't worthy a true gaming system because of the casual market and lower powered specs.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2012, 11:15:40 PM »
It's all coming together guys. Have you seen this yet?
http://www.gamesradar.com/new-wii-u-console-overview-hardware-specs-and-controller-demoed/

Does that Wii U have Coaxial In and Coaxial Out!!?

I wanted to look behind a Wii U @ E3, but they had them all boxed up and hidden in display units.

If that is what it looks like it is, then my idea of the gMote being the best universal remote ever has just been taken up a notch. Instead of just having TV guide info from the internet popup on the screen while you watch something up on the TV, the Wii U may act as your cable box (and DVR with optional HDD add-on?) and you can directly control the box and the TV all through your lovely Wii U.

It could be possible to watch multiple channels at the same time, one on the TV one on the gMote.
It would lend some more wight to the rumors of teaming up with cable providers and turning the Wii U into a true multi-media box

This really could be a New Nintendo we see here, not just building a box that is capable, but actually letting it do anything that it is capable of.
I don't even watch cable and that gets me all sorts of excited for the potential future of the Wii U.

or it could just be there for devkit units.... possibly to hardwire the controller and provide video to the screen in the gMotes. But let's go with the unspoilered option and hope it's the truth

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #88 on: June 21, 2012, 11:42:43 PM »
Actually I think this makes perfect sense.

If the Wii U is going to do things like let you control the TV as a remote, and play games while watching TV...it needs the cable system to go through it first...and then the TV.  This actually has me all kinds of excited for the Wii U...Nintendo really seems to be creating a great all in one package.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 22, 2012, 12:04:19 AM »

A Homebrewed Wii can play DVD's, but Nintendo won't let you.
A Homebrewed Wii can store and load data off of a HDD, Nintendo won't let you.
A Homebrewed Wii can run apps directly off the SD card, Nintendo won't let you.
Nintendo may not be using the "Apple Model", but they are sure using an Apple-like one. :) :P
I love you.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 22, 2012, 12:07:22 AM »
?  Nintendo hasn't stated the WII U had capture ability (video in) so I'm guessing that it's just an prototype.  Also you wouldn't need dual Coaxial ports, better off with one HDMI input port nowadays since that's becoming the standard.  You'll still need an cable box since all cable services have encrypted channels.  If you're just trying to get over the air channels you'll still going need an HD tuner.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 22, 2012, 02:02:04 AM »
you know, the wii u does look different. The name is a problem, and when they first showed it last year, i was wondering if it was a console or new accessory myself, but that was cleared up quickly because they were vaguae as **** about it. However a year has passed, and iffyuppies don't know by now then **** em'
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 22, 2012, 09:27:37 AM »
First off I'm not surprised to see the Coaxial back there.  In another interview that was posted they talked about Dad watching the news on the Gamepad.  I at that point went from a good idea to probably being a feature.

?  Nintendo hasn't stated the WII U had capture ability (video in) so I'm guessing that it's just an prototype.  Also you wouldn't need dual Coaxial ports, better off with one HDMI input port nowadays since that's becoming the standard.  You'll still need an cable box since all cable services have encrypted channels.  If you're just trying to get over the air channels you'll still going need an HD tuner.
Coaxial is still king.  All TV's support it all boxes support it.  If Nintendo is doing DVR functions then it has an HD  Tuner built into it or it simply couldn't record.  I hope it would work for over the air.  I was disappointed when the PS3 DVR stuff didn't make it to the states.  This + DLNA Support + Netflix = Probably never turning on my PS3 again.

Now to comment on the important stuff.  I hope the keep the industrial toggle switch.  I do like me some toggle switches with that solid click that they have.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 22, 2012, 12:08:14 PM »
While this seems to be included I dont see it being a bog selling point. Not sure if any of the the cable guys will throw there support behind it. That and it would probably have leaked that nintendo were in talks woth the big guys. Comlare that to microsoft who has been pretty open and have partnerships with Uverse,Fios, comcast, and working on one with time warner already.

That and I don't beleive nintendo has thr branding/support/ecosystem/technical no how to make something like this work correctly. Bigger and Better guys have been trying to solve the living room problem and failed (Google,Apple) and the currently the most viable option is the xbox.

I hope nintendo knows what its doing because the wrong move could **** it up.
That a d using thr Wii U as a TV remote has to be one of the dumb but late to the party.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #95 on: June 22, 2012, 12:37:13 PM »
While this seems to be included I dont see it being a bog selling point. Not sure if any of the the cable guys will throw there support behind it. That and it would probably have leaked that nintendo were in talks woth the big guys. Comlare that to microsoft who has been pretty open and have partnerships with Uverse,Fios, comcast, and working on one with time warner already.

That and I don't beleive nintendo has thr branding/support/ecosystem/technical no how to make something like this work correctly. Bigger and Better guys have been trying to solve the living room problem and failed (Google,Apple) and the currently the most viable option is the xbox.

I hope nintendo knows what its doing because the wrong move could **** it up.
That a d using thr Wii U as a TV remote has to be one of the dumb but late to the party.

Nope, you're right, it wouldn't be a "bog" selling point.  Now, water-proof it, and that would be a sure-fire "bog" selling point!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 22, 2012, 01:05:02 PM »

Yeah, it's really exciting speculation, but I'm not sold at all.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 22, 2012, 03:47:36 PM »
The fact that M$ is doing this exact same thing with Xbox tells me this is viable and if Nintendo can pull it off, I think it'll only help their cause.  I use Directv so it probably won't work for me, but that doesn't mean I'm not excited about the possibilities this opens up.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 22, 2012, 04:52:07 PM »
The fact that M$ is doing this exact same thing with Xbox tells me this is viable and if Nintendo can pull it off, I think it'll only help their cause.  I use Directv so it probably won't work for me, but that doesn't mean I'm not excited about the possibilities this opens up.

Oh I dont think its not impossible. The xbox recent sucess shown it is. I just dont think that nintendo can pull it off due to lack of eco system. I would llve to be pro en wrong though.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 22, 2012, 05:01:44 PM »
Let's not forget Nintendo is the same company that pulled MP3 playback from the Wii, and never allowed DVD playback even though it was a simple feat to pull off. With that both being said, what makes it likely they would be capable of pulling off something like this?
is your sanity...