Author Topic: Resident Evil 6 Not Coming to Wii U  (Read 12255 times)

Offline the_dan_x

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • Next Door Gamer
Resident Evil 6 Not Coming to Wii U
« on: April 10, 2012, 12:41:00 PM »

A Wii U version is not currently in the works for Nintendo's next generation console.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/29769

Resident Evil 6 will not be released on the Wii U this year, producer Hiroyuki Kobayashi told IGN in a recent interview. “Unfortunately, RE6 will not be available at this on the Wii U. Right now we’re concentrating on the Playstation 3 version, 360 version and the PC version of the game.”

Although this news may come as a serious blow to Nintendo fans, the specific words used by Kobayashi in his response by saying, “at this time,” does not count out a Wii U version some time down the road. Resident Evil 6 releases on Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 this fall on October 2.

Danny Bivens
Japan Correspondent
Nintendo World Report

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Resident Evil 6 Not Coming to Wii U
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 12:52:59 PM »
It's Capcom, it'll eventually come to the Wii U but first they need to port RE5 and RE:ORC just because they can.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 12:57:42 PM »
It's Capcom, it'll eventually come to the Wii U but first they need to port RE5 and RE:ORC just because they can.

Sure, they can bundle the two and call it the "Games-that-you-don't-care-about" collection.
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 01:19:02 PM »
Dammit.

Offline syrindigo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 01:33:16 PM »
Good! I don't want games to port over to the Wii U from any other console, the Wii U is unique and should be treated as such.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 02:16:59 PM »
This really pisses me off. How hard would it be to port this game to the Wii U? Perhaps it has something to do with the non disclosure agreement for Wii U?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 02:41:42 PM »
Good! I don't want games to port over to the Wii U from any other console, the Wii U is unique and should be treated as such.

Oh YEAH because that was SO much fun with the Wii.

Third parties either include you in their multiplatform development or they don't include you at all.  If no one was interested in making exclusives for a system that sold as well as the Wii, then it's not going to be any different here.  Unless you're cool with having Nintendo first party games and jackshit else.  But even if you're cool with that, the first party games are always going to be there.  It isn't like the presence of good third parties games is going to change that.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 02:46:17 PM »
My guess is that this is a timing issue more than anything else.  RE6 was probably too deep in development by the time Capcom got Wii U kits to allow the staffing up of a new team to release a Wii U version at the same time as the other platforms.  Remember that even though Wii U is similar in power to 360/PS3, it still is brand new hardware that will have a learning curve for those that start to develop for it.

It was probably easier and more cost-effective to finish the game on 360/PS3 and then gather up a team to work on porting it over, likely with extra content.  Heck, Capcom's probably already assembled an RE6 team for Wii U that is working on the port right now, without a release date hanging over their heads.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 02:52:36 PM by NWR_Lindy »
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 02:49:38 PM »
My guess is that this is a timing issue more than anything else.  RE6 was probably too deep in development by the time Capcom got Wii U kits to warrant staffing up a new team to work on a port.  It was probably easier and more cost-effective to finish the game and then gather up a team to work on porting it over, likely with extra content.

The big question is how long will we have wait for the port?

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 02:58:52 PM »
My guess is that this is a timing issue more than anything else.  ...

It was probably easier and more cost-effective to finish the game on 360/PS3 and then gather up a team to work on porting it over, likely with extra content.  ...

Agree with this assessment, although wonder if Capcom is going to port soon or wait to see how well the game sells before moving it across.

Also think it's a good point that extra content is often included in later ports. In that respect, it's almost better to get the game a bit later unless you were dying to play it immediately at release. (Most of my gaming time is spent playing stuff that came out months or even years ago - obviously this colors my opinion.)
NNID: ejamer

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 03:31:19 PM »
I feel like the lack of a Wii U version is part of the reason why the release date was moved up. Capcom is purposefully distancing RE6 from the Wii U launch (since it'll be in November).
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 03:47:28 PM »
I feel like the lack of a Wii U version is part of the reason why the release date was moved up. Capcom is purposefully distancing RE6 from the Wii U launch (since it'll be in November).

If Capcom already has the dev kit on hand and is familar enough with it to put a small team of developers to work porting it then they can just release the Wii U version a month later along with the new console, right? How much effort would it be to port this game to the Wii U?

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 06:02:18 PM »
While disappointing, I don't think this is surprising at all.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Tennindo

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 06:30:10 PM »
Its not really that big of a deal sense it will prolly come to Wii U. Chances are Capcom doesnt want to just "port" it over to Wii U. Not with how Wii U works. Their is a new controller that they can work with to makes things new and exciting. Even for the ones who buy it on ps3/360.
Its will come. Later rather then sooner, but it also may be linked to how the reviews go too. Will the game sell enough for a port? RE5 and and RE:ORC while good, not really super favs. Lets hope they can get better with RE6

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 07:51:24 PM »
It always makes more sense to put a game on a much less powerful console with an inferior controller.

That's just the rule you guys will have to re-learn over the next five years.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 08:25:32 PM »
This better come to Wii U eventually! And it better have all the DLC on one disc or an extra chapter or something.  It's time for us to get some good will for all the ignoring during the Wii era.

Offline yayer1124

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • yaysays
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 09:29:34 PM »
This news is somewhat disappointing but I do hope that Capcom is not putting the kibosh completely on RE6 for the Wii U. If they do I hope they work on a new IP specifically for the Wii U. I think I would rather have that than just a port of RE 6. Until then I guess that Ill just have to be satisfied with Revelations on 3DS :)

Offline house3136

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 10:12:45 PM »
 [font=]I’m confused. When I read the IGN article, they said the Resident Evil 6 release date was moved up to October 2, from November 20.  [/font]Kobayashi said: "Unfortunately, RE6 will not be available at this time on the Wii U…" Even if it’s a port, I feel that this game will still be on Wii U, possibly before the end of the year. The way it’s being reported, it can be inferred that the game is not coming to Wii U because of its disparity among the confirmed platforms. What’s more troubling, is if third-party developers (even Capcom) choose not to bring games to Nintendo’s console because the games aren’t specifically built around using the tablet controller (I was actually looking forward to playing with the RemotePlus RE4 style). I don’t think that’s the case, but if it is, then it’s Wii 2.0. Essentially, Nintendo’s exclusives will continue to exemplify the consoles ability, while third-party ignore it, because non-multiplatform ports are too hard and don’t have enough profit margin. What I don’t understand is how Ubisoft makes such bold proclamations that AC:III is coming to the system no problem, yet RE:6 may not be, considering both are relatively new games being released within weeks of each other.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 10:13:02 PM »
I'm sure it will appear on Wii U eventually, maybe as a "Game of the Year" edition that we'll surely see from Arkham City.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 10:53:15 PM »
It always makes more sense to put a game on a much less powerful console with an inferior controller.

That's just the rule you guys will have to re-learn over the next five years.

You mean the putting the game out on consoles that actually have an install base, instead of the one that currently isn't available?  Or on consoles that are known quantities instead of one where the official specs aren't announced and dev kits are possibly still in flux?

Like it or not, there are some very legit business reasons why Capcom would target PS3/360 for this release and not Wii U.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2012, 11:59:18 PM »
You can't just believe Capcom about RE titles. Of course it's coming out for wii u. I mean seriously, the wording, their history and the launch date scream RE6 on Wii U.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2012, 12:27:50 AM »
This better come to Wii U eventually! And it better have all the DLC on one disc or an extra chapter or something.  It's time for us to get some good will for all the ignoring during the Wii era.

I have no doubt that the game will come to Wii U eventually, but this is Capcom we're talking about.  I don't think there's a chance in hell that the game will include all the DLC, and the extra chapter (if there is one, and I doubt it) will probably be exclusive paid DLC.  It's Capcom.  This is what they do, so you should start thinking realistically when it comes to this game or you're just gearing yourself up for disappointment.

As for the news itself: whatever.  I was going to buy the PS3 version anyway, so this doesn't affect me.  I doubt Capcom will let the Wii U go too long without an RE6 port, unless they release something like an RE5 port first and it just doesn't sell.  I'm just glad that the game's date has been moved up to not only a time of the year better suited to games like this (Halloween) but also away from the next Call of Duty.  I couldn't care less that Zombies are back.  They weren't scary before, and they probably won't be scary now.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 12:31:37 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2012, 12:37:03 AM »
In the end Nintendo fans may have the last laugh, because when RE6 finally does make its way to the Wii U it will be the ultimate definitive edition of the game, just like how the Wii got the definitive best edition of RE4. So Sony and Microsoft fanboys might be laughing now, but remember he who laughs last laughs best.
is your sanity...

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2012, 12:50:29 AM »
In the end Nintendo fans may have the last laugh, because when RE6 finally does make its way to the Wii U it will be the ultimate definitive edition of the game, just like how the Wii got the definitive best edition of RE4. So Sony and Microsoft fanboys might be laughing now, but remember he who laughs last laughs best.

I'm still amazed that Capcom decided to cheap-out with RE4 "HD" by not giving it HD textures or motion control support.  I don't know how that version of the game was as highly rated as it was when it was clearly inferior to the Wii version.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2012, 01:45:40 AM »
Wii U doesn't need current generation table scraps! It's TRUE next gen.