Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592768 times)

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #3550 on: July 12, 2012, 11:09:58 PM »
From Twitter:

Nnooo recieves good news about Wii U.
https://twitter.com/Nnooo_Nic

Two Tribes also say's they "got really excited about Wii U today."

Or so I hear from GAF. Something seems to be up! Hype!

Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #3551 on: July 12, 2012, 11:19:00 PM »
Could Nintendo offer deals on Wii Virtual Console games the same way they are currently doing for those on the 3DS?

They could, but there's been a whole one sale in the history of Wii's Virtual Console (December '09, and mostly Sega stuff). They *might* do one in the transition to the WiiU eShop, but I really doubt it.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3552 on: July 13, 2012, 02:00:26 AM »
They could, but I'd bet they'll wait until the Wii U to start those sales.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #3553 on: July 13, 2012, 02:43:54 AM »
They could, but I'd bet they'll wait until the Wii U to start those sales.

What if they did like a fifty discounted Virtual Console game collection to celbrate the launch of a new home console and to get people into the eShop store to buy more stuff?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
Wii U definitely more powerful than PS3 and 360
« Reply #3554 on: July 13, 2012, 11:49:48 AM »
Last thing before I'm out.

http://www.videogamer.com/wiiu/scribblenauts_unlimited/news/wii_u_is_definitely_more_powerful_than_360_and_ps3_scribblenauts_dev.html
Jeremiah Slaczka, the CEO of Scribblenauts developer 5th Cell, has stated that the Wii U is "definitely more powerful than Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3," adding that he finds the argument over the console's capabilities "frustrating".
Speaking in the latest issue of Game Informer, Slaczka said that the Wii U is "definitely more powerful than Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. It's kind of frustrating to see the rumours and speculation of people going back and forth saying it's weaker or more powerful. It's definitely more powerful."
Edit: I don't know what I do that's always wrong. Just look at the link for a clearer message.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 11:51:31 AM by Caterkiller »

RomanceDawn

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3555 on: July 13, 2012, 12:24:56 PM »
Slaczka needs to realize that the rumours about the specs only exist because Nintendo is not straight-forward about them.  They haven't told us what they are AND the games they showed at E3 were not so visually impressive to demonstrate the console's capabilities.  They look better than Wii games obviously but don't look like anything that couldn't be done on an Xbox 360.

But then the idea that the Wii U is not as powerful as the current systems is not that common of a rumour.  The real issue is about how much more powerful it is and if it can compete against hypothetical PS360 successors.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #3556 on: July 13, 2012, 02:06:28 PM »
But then the idea that the Wii U is not as powerful as the current systems is not that common of a rumour.  The real issue is about how much more powerful it is and if it can compete against hypothetical PS360 successors.

Exactly. You would be hard pressed to find anyone who is seriously worried the Wii U will be less powerful than the PS360. I think at a minimum everyone accepts that it will be at least on par with current systems. But that's not the issue. The PS3 and 360 are 6 and 7 years old (respectively) and they are on their last legs. So the Wii U can best them? Okay, but what about the PS420? The Wii U is an 8th gen console and it needs to be able to compete with other 8th gen consoles. When the Wii U launches it will be the big kid on the block and it can bully the PS360 and steal their lunch money, but what happens when the PS360's older brothers show up? Will the Wii U still seem so tough then? This is the question, and so far everyone in the know has refused to give a straight answer that would debunk this forever.
is your sanity...

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #3557 on: July 14, 2012, 11:16:44 PM »
Actually I think a lot of people think Wii U isn't as powerful as the Ps360. As a matter of fact I remember a few people from this very forum thinking it would be "very Nintendo" to not even have tech that was as capable as both the PS3 and 360.

My logic is if its first gen games look exactly like current gen PS360 games(well slightly better) then there are no worries for the future. But I keep a lot in mind as well like each of these games being ported to Wii U when its final dev kit wasn't available. Pikmin and ZombieU starting out on the Wii not being built from the ground up. And Epic saying they wanted Sony and Microsoft to increase their specs for UE4, there systems probably weren't and aren't leagues and leagues ahead of what they have now, at least not nearly as large as the last jump.

Anyway just played Ninja Gaiden with the Wii U Pro controller today. I never thought I'd say this but I think its more comfortable than the gamecube pad. If this is how a 360 controller feels I've been missing out!

RomanceDawn

Offline DonnyKD

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3558 on: July 15, 2012, 12:52:43 AM »
Okay, but what about the PS420?
What about it? What do we know of it? Are we to automatically assume it's going to be 10x more powerful as the previous consoles? How do we know that the Wii U can't match it at all?

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3559 on: July 15, 2012, 12:58:11 AM »
You have to remember that the PS3/360 cheat a lot by rendering well below 720p and then up scaling. They both are more SD machines now days than the HD machines they claim to be. The WiiU being equal to or weaker than PS360 exists only as a perception, not reality. A perception that Nintendo has gone out of their way not to fight. The lie will triumph over reality if they keep forfeiting.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3560 on: July 15, 2012, 01:44:43 AM »
I could have sworn I read that Wii U can run games in 1080p natively and with sending info to the GamePad. Was this confirmed? I'm legitimately asking and I'm too lazy to google it. If it's true, the console should plenty powerful even if it eventually gets trumped by PS3/360. More importantly (if true), I wouldn't expect many 3rd party games to take advantage of that since they'll probably be mostly straight PS3/360 ports. At least not right out of the game. Maybe 1st party titles, but definitely not 3rd party titles.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3561 on: July 15, 2012, 07:57:55 AM »
I could have sworn I read that Wii U can run games in 1080p natively and with sending info to the GamePad.

What I remember hearing was the Wii U can do 720 and send display to the Gamepad, or 1080 without gamepad display.
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3562 on: July 15, 2012, 09:36:58 AM »
I'm pretty sure that was just a rumor; I don't think there's been any official word either way. They did say, though, that everything in Nintendo's booth at E3 was running at 720p.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3563 on: July 15, 2012, 11:42:55 AM »
We do know that the gamepad display does impose a burden on the Wii U's graphical output. That's the reason why it only supports 1 gamepad by default, and only 2 maximum. So I wouldn't be surprised if in order to achieve 1080 output games would have to disable the gamepad display. But I don't think its a big deal because 720 looks good enough anyway. It will still look just as good or better than the best PS360 games.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3564 on: July 15, 2012, 11:49:34 AM »
The rumor was 1080p and basic gMote support or 720p and extensive gMote support,

Basic meaning, more using like an inventory or a sub menu screen.
Extensive meaning using it like a 2nd view with heavy 3D rendering.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3565 on: July 15, 2012, 10:06:52 PM »
We do know that the gamepad display does impose a burden on the Wii U's graphical output. That's the reason why it only supports 1 gamepad by default, and only 2 maximum. So I wouldn't be surprised if in order to achieve 1080 output games would have to disable the gamepad display. But I don't think its a big deal because 720 looks good enough anyway. It will still look just as good or better than the best PS360 games.

The reason for the gamepad being a maximum of two is a result of the streaming technology being used, not any sort of demands it puts on the system.  That is why one gamepad gets 60 fps but when a second gamepad is used both get 30 fps, it is limit of the streaming technology. 

Their is no limit the gamepad puts on resolution, it all depends on whether developers care more about graphical effects and putting a lot of high poly models on the screens or more about resolution just like now.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #3566 on: July 16, 2012, 03:23:38 PM »
http://www.dealspwn.com/gearbox-cco-borderlands-2-inventory-artwork-fantastic-wii-107801

Gearbox believes Borderlands 2 would be fantastic on the Wii U. What's Borderlands like? Is it one of those highly acclaimed games that everybody wants?

Ubisoft say's Rayman Legends launches on Wii U in November! Hmm...
http://www.gamexplain.com/article-766-1339043785-wii-u-releasing-in-november-says-ubisoft.html

Sega say's Sonic All Stars Racing launches on Wii U in November! Interesting...
http://blogs.sega.com/2012/07/14/get-behind-the-wheel-as-wreck-it-ralph-in-sonic-all-stars-racing-transformed/

Rise of the Guardians releases November 23rd on the Wii U! I think there's a pattern here...
http://www.vg247.com/2012/07/16/rise-of-the-guardians-out-on-wii-u-november-23-says-d3/?

So I think we can expect the Wii U around late December early January.

RomanceDawn

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3567 on: July 16, 2012, 03:48:46 PM »
So I think we can expect the Wii U around late December early January.
You make me laugh sometimes.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #3568 on: July 16, 2012, 04:14:35 PM »
Borderlands is a FPS with light RPG elements, heavy on multiplayer co-op (up to 4 at a time). Vehicles are accessible too, with 2 people able to ride together. It plays well enough, though loot drops get a bit unnecessary late in the game. Gameplay gets repetitive too: fight this monster, kill this group of monsters, retrieve this item oh but it doesn't become available until you kill this group of bad guys... I would have liked to have known how close I was to finding the ultimate weapon without looking online, too.

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3569 on: July 18, 2012, 01:54:35 AM »
Disregard this post lol, I decided to move my topic of discussion into its own thread.   So how about that WiiU lol. 

Ahhh what the hell, since I'm here I might as well contribute something lol.  What does everyone expect to get out of tomorrow's EA conference/meeting or whatever you want to call it.  Are you expecting full on videos and info on their WiiU sports offering or just small announcements in the form of a logo at the end of a trailer lol.  I for one, don't expect much but minor announcements but I'm hoping for more. 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 02:11:12 AM by Mannypon »

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #3570 on: July 18, 2012, 03:00:01 AM »
I didn't even know about their conference tomorrow. I expect sports to be announced for Wii U. Would to to hear about multi tablet support for madden.

RomanceDawn

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3571 on: July 18, 2012, 04:49:24 AM »
Well they did say they would be talking about their wiiu support in the middle of july a few weeks back.  Tomorrow qualifies as middle of july. 

I'm really hoping they go all out and showcase madden on wiiu.  Even better would be if they are using the wiiu as thier starting point for their next gen madden.  That'll result in, I would assume, a  drastically different madden than the ps360 versions.

In doing so, they'll be establishing their next gen engine making for an easier transition for the franchise next yr on the ps4 and 720.  All that would be wishful thinking though and makes too much sense for it to be true lol.

Offline ThomasO

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #3572 on: July 18, 2012, 10:41:22 AM »
A game I'd like to see remade for Wii U is World of Goo. It would look amazing in HD, and could offer the Wii Remote controls from the WiiWare game as well as Wii U GamePad controls. When playing on the GamePad, the player could interact using the touch screen and move the view around by using either analog stick-- it would be friendly for both left and right handed people.

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #3573 on: July 20, 2012, 06:59:28 PM »
Just got back from playing the WiiU here in Chicago.

Nintendoland:

-AC Sweet day was fun 5-player.  It's pretty hard for the animals collecting candy to win.  Maybe in a quieter space it will be easier to communicate.

-Luigi's Ghost Mansion was fun, but the controls felt a little slow...  My wife liked this one.

-DK Crash Course was more engaging than I thought, and harder than it looks.  It's a real finesse game. 

-Throwing Star game, whatever it's called, was fun, but pretty simple.  I'm sure I'll get more into it later.  Liked the origami graphics.

-Zelda game was fun.  I didn't try the Gamepad for this one, but my cousin did, and he liked it.  I just slashed with swords.  Again, this seemed a little slow going.  Hopefully it gets faster as you progress.

Mario U:  Awesome.  I love the new suit.  The level designs seem more carefully crafted than typical NSMB games.  Balloon Yoshi is a blast to use.  with 5 players it gets pretty chaotic, but 2 is great.  MY wife and I won a speed run contest and got a Mario plush and a Yoshi plush.  She was on the Gamepad and I was on the Wii remote.  Lots of fun.

Rayman Legends:  Great!  Totally beautiful and an amazing sense of speed.  Gamepad plus Wii remote play was even better than Mario- super engaging.  This will be my first Rayman game.

Pikmin 3: Like the NPC Pikmin releases, but crazy pretty. 

Game and Wario:  IGN is right- "Fruit" is a blast.  Perfect thing to play with older family members and little kids.  Fun all around.

Just Dance 4- What an embarrassing load of crap.

I didn't play anything else, but Batman looks beautiful.  Zombie U looks interesting.  I mostly watched people struggle with these- trying to move a Batarang around of go through their inventory.  I don't think I'll have trouble, but these dopes did.  Ninja Gaiden 3 looked pretty too.  Avoided Sing.

The Gamepad feels great in my hands, and the screen quality and resolution are hogher than I thought they'd be.  The new Classic Controller is fantastic (I played Rayman with it).  The system itself looks very pretty and more high end than the Will. 

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3574 on: July 20, 2012, 08:52:51 PM »
The system itself looks very pretty and more high end than the Will. 
Don't be knockin' the Will.  The Will is quite the looker my friend.