Author Topic: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Demo and Retail  (Read 24433 times)

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Demo and Retail
« on: November 09, 2007, 05:05:15 AM »
Anybody tried the demo yet?  It was short by oh so sweet!  The graphics are at least as good as call of duty 4 and the controls are almost spot on.  The animation is top notch and really carries the presentation of the game.  The one thing that I didn't like was that when you are taking cover behind something, you can't see where your reticule will be aimed when you pop out.  For example:  you press O to take cover behind something like a stone tablet.  You can peek around the corners to see where the bad guys are.   When you press L1, Drake will step out from cover to shoot. Unfortunately, you can only approximate where your reticule will be when you leave cover because it doesn't show until you step out.  It isn't a huge deal.  Overall, this looks to be one of, if not the best game so far on PS3.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 12:23:35 PM by Pale »
My Wii Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Jesus Saves.....after he passes each level

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Demo
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 05:15:59 AM »
Anything good about it besides visuals and animation?
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 05:45:28 AM »
Well while I did play the demo I thought it was okay, but I was put off that all the combat mechanics are is just a cut and paste of the Gears of War mechanics from weapon switching,  (weapon 1 on Dpad left, Weapon 2 on Dpad right, explosives on Dpad down). Also the grenade reticle same as the Gears reticle except that you adjust the throwing distance via tilting the Sixaxis down and up. Even though Gears and Uncharted share the same health system down to the heart beat when your about to die I like Uncharted's better since instead of an annoying bloody cog logo blocking your view, the screen starts turning gray giving it a much more cinematic feel. The graphics and the scenery are nice and the shadowing is well done.  

While I do think Naughty Dog did a good job pretty much transplanting the Gears of War mechanics to their game I found some issues.
Some of the jumping felt a little floaty, the aiming felt a little looser than Gears of War(only comparing this since Naughty Dog insisted on copying a lot of mechanics from the game), and there some issues with graphics and screen tearing. Also I found it annoying that enemies just come out and ambush you from random places which is okay but a little annoying. To me this feels like a combination of the exploration of Tomb Raider and the combat of Gears of War.

I personally don't think I will get this at 60 dollars though I think I will when it drops down to a cheaper price.

Edit: The sixaxis implementation is okay like I said you adjust the grenade throwing distance with it and it also serves as balancing drake while walking through things such as logs or other tight narrow or rounded walkways.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Maverick

• Internet newbie :-)
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 07:02:26 AM »
1.  Sixaxis still sucks.  No matter how they try to implement this feature it always fails for me.  I can't stand it.

2.  PSN still sucks.  It took me 3 hours OR MORE to download this freaking demo.  I don't know why I have such a bad connection with PSN, as my Xbox Live connection is always very fast.  Anyone else have this problem?

3.  That out of the way, the graphics are great, the intro movie was cool, and the gameplay for the most part was good.  However, it never really felt natural for me when I jumped onto a ledge, he just kind of "floats" up it instead of feeling like he actually is landing and climbing.  I like the shooting and what not, but not so much the hand to hand combat, as it seemed a bit random, but maybe I just didn't get the timing down right.
Come play with my Twitter.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 07:07:53 AM »
Well maverick im sure PSN got bombarded due to everybody trying to Download this demo and it was 1.2GB. When I had XBL I had similar speeds, the only think I don't like about the PSN store is its interface but thats about it. And I still think that sixaxis is an after thought even with that in mind some developers do implement it in a good way.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 07:28:16 AM »
What developers have implemented the sixaxis it in a good way? Every game I've tried it in a game, it is beyond suckage. Also I hate the PSN interface as well.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
RE: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Demo
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 07:47:46 AM »
Darn it. When I seen the thread title I'd hoped this meant there was going to be a new "Uncharted Waters" game by Koei.

I loved those games on my SNES.
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 08:45:35 AM »

Originally posted by: Maverick
1.  Sixaxis still sucks.  No matter how they try to implement this feature it always fails for me.  I can't stand it.

2.  PSN still sucks.  It took me 3 hours OR MORE to download this freaking demo.  I don't know why I have such a bad connection with PSN, as my Xbox Live connection is always very fast.  Anyone else have this problem?

3.  That out of the way, the graphics are great, the intro movie was cool, and the gameplay for the most part was good.  However, it never really felt natural for me when I jumped onto a ledge, he just kind of "floats" up it instead of feeling like he actually is landing and climbing.  I like the shooting and what not, but not so much the hand to hand combat, as it seemed a bit random, but maybe I just didn't get the timing down right.

I haven't played the Demo yet but on the download I got it in less then an hour.  I'll probably play it to night and give a mention on where I liked it or not.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 09:04:37 AM »

Originally posted by: Chozo Ghost
Darn it. When I seen the thread title I'd hoped this meant there was going to be a new "Uncharted Waters" game by Koei.

I loved those games on my SNES.

Those games kicked my butt... but I loved them too... they were sort of an Oblivion of the seas!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 11:10:45 AM »
"and screen tearing"

That is inexcusable.

This game gets 11/10.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2007, 05:34:37 AM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
"and screen tearing"

That is inexcusable.

This game gets 11/10.

and you get a -1/-infinite

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007, 11:46:44 AM »
I played the demo.  This game would be much better if there was 2 things:

1. A lock on.
2. If I could consistently see people who should be in plain sight.

How they do cover is a little flawed on the gunplay side.  Its super hard to pop out and shoot.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2007, 02:07:47 PM »

Originally posted by: Lord_die_seis

Isn't that like = to a big positive number? *checks* It is, PRO666 is rated +infinity.

I was watching some recent videos for this game, it seems good in regards to audio and video, but the AI is really sloppy, i.e. Drake came from behind on this enemy that was covering at a crouch level, he used his shotgun at close range (1 foot away), missed the shot and the enemy stays in the same spot while it still thinks that Drake was somewhere else, another example, Drake throws a grenade, the enemies see it but they apparently really want to die instead of throwing it back or at least getting some cover.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2007, 02:23:03 PM »

Originally posted by: Caliban

Isn't that like = to a big positive number? *checks* It is, PRO666 is rated +infinity.

I was watching some recent videos for this game, it seems good in regards to audio and video, but the AI is really sloppy, i.e. Drake came from behind on this enemy that was covering at a crouch level, he used his shotgun at close range (1 foot away), missed the shot and the enemy stays in the same spot while it still thinks that Drake was somewhere else, another example, Drake throws a grenade, the enemies see it but they apparently really want to die instead of throwing it back or at least getting some cover.

Sounds like yet another sloppy PS3 game that will not meet the hype, and is focused on visuals instead of gameplay.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2007, 12:44:15 AM »
Well if you read my impressions about the demo what turned me off was the naughty dog copied and pasted ALL of the gears of wars combat down to every button press and every mechanic.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2007, 02:42:13 PM »
What a crappy uninspired game. I was hopeful when I first started the demo that it was going to be pretty unique but once I met my first group of bad guys things went downhill fast. The game is a complete rip off of Gears of War, except it forgot some of its AI and more importantly its FUN along the way. The game is nothing more than a shoot em up with some platforming. Yeah it is has good visuals, but beyond that, the game is extremely shallow, not to mention I swear the hit detection is crappy (I don't even believe it matters if you shoot someone in the head or not). There is absolutely nothing from the demo that indicates this game is even unique in any way, and that is disappointing.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2007, 03:00:16 PM »
GP you just read my mind, the only game in interested in getting for my PS3 when its a little cheaper is Folklore now thats a game that looks inspired and awesome.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2007, 03:02:51 PM »

GP you just read my mind, the only game in interested in getting for my PS3 when its a little cheaper is Folklore now thats a game that looks inspired and awesome.

I definately want to play Folklore!  

Offline UniversalJuan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2007, 03:03:43 PM »

Lost Kingdoms says hello
They gave a war, nobody came, imagine all the fuss. They'd have to send themselves instead of...sending us. Yeah (People of the Generation - by Scatman John)

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude
The greatest game of all time is Super Smash Bros Brawl.  It

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2007, 01:43:50 PM »
Yes but didn't lost king have cards?

Offline Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2007, 05:50:15 AM »
So the IGN review said "Drake's Fortune is the most fun I've had in a videogame this year."

LOLZ

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2007, 10:53:10 AM »

So the IGN review said "Drake's Fortune is the most fun I've had in a videogame this year."

LOLZ

That's the reviewers opinion. What's wrong with that?
My Wii Code:

Offline Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2007, 11:06:38 AM »
That it's a decent game but there were so many other great releases this year that the prospect is ridiculous.  Unless of course he didn't play those great games.  Of course it could also mean he just has poor taste.  And yes, I am saying that if you have a differing opinion than mine you have poor taste.

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2007, 06:26:31 AM »

I am saying that if you have a differing opinion than mine you have poor taste.

you showed me!
My Wii Code:

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2007, 07:09:12 AM »
That review didn't seem to justify such high praise, they had way too many complaints, some of which were key to the gameplay (such as the gun fights).

Offline Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2007, 07:18:08 AM »

Originally posted by: ryancoke

I am saying that if you have a differing opinion than mine you have poor taste.

you showed me!

I hope you learned your lesson.  :-P  

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2007, 09:03:27 AM »
Adopting the Maverick philosophy anyone who doesn't like Caffiene Free Mountain Dew and Caffiene Free Coke has poor taste.

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2007, 09:37:08 AM »

Originally posted by: Ceric
Adopting the Maverick philosophy anyone who doesn't like Caffiene Free Mountain Dew and Caffiene Free Coke has poor taste.

Those should be illeagal...
My Wii Code:

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2007, 07:54:18 AM »
So I just played it.  It's interesting to read about how it's so similar to gears of war.  I've never even watched someone play Gears, but Uncharted is definitely the most impressive and interesting PS3 game I've played yet.

Some of the graphical touches are just awesome.  The main characters feet adjust to odd terrain.  The motion blur when you spin the camera.  The cover system.  It was all really really cool.  It's obvious I should explore this genre a little more, but I have to say that the Indiana Jones setting of Uncharted blows the doors off the bulked up football player combat setting of Gears.

I may have to pick this up sometime after Christmas... maybe play it between then and Brawl.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2007, 05:57:38 AM »
Well I played a couple hours of the full game this morning and I can definatly say that the demo doesn't do the final game justice.   It's still the same great game but the story is just fantastic.  It's definately a toss up between uncharted and ratchet and clank for best exclusive PS3 game right now.
My Wii Code:

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2007, 06:03:32 AM »

Well I played a couple hours of the full game this morning and I can definatly say that the demo doesn't do the final game justice.   It's still the same great game but the story is just fantastic.  It's definately a toss up between uncharted and ratchet and clank for best exclusive PS3 game right now.

So the gameplay still is Gears of War ripoff lite? No thanks, I'll pass.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2007, 06:05:29 AM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix

You're such a meanie GP. Look, they took out the bald space marine from uncharted just to please you and STILL you turn your nose up! How unfair! &<
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2007, 06:20:50 AM »

Originally posted by: Kairon

You're such a meanie GP. Look, they took out the bald space marine from uncharted just to please you and STILL you turn your nose up! How unfair! &<

Looks like they took out the fun as well, if the demo was any indication.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2007, 06:49:51 AM »
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the way the character moves. To me it felt like he floats/slides along the ground. I agree there needs to be a lock on or something. I kept pulling up the crosshairs to hit the baddies.

One thing I liked was the hand-to-hand. There needed to be more opportunities in the demo. That's a definite improvement over Gears.

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2007, 03:00:47 AM »
GP, you have taken over from Pro666 as the most negative person on the forum, congrats!
My Wii Code:

Offline Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2007, 05:54:08 AM »

Originally posted by: bustin98
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the way the character moves. To me it felt like he floats/slides along the ground.

...it never really felt natural for me when I jumped onto a ledge, he just kind of "floats" up it instead of feeling like he actually is landing and climbing.

;-)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2007, 10:28:30 AM »

GP, you have taken over from Pro666 as the most negative person on the forum, congrats!

I'm just negative against rip off clones of another system. This game is obnoxiously obvious that it is based fully off Gears of War, but in a jungle setting with boring people enemies. It is NOTHING compared to Ratchet and Clank which I feel is a great PS3 game, and it isn't even as good as Heavenly Sword which I really enjoyed it.

Offline Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2007, 10:39:29 AM »
I don't mind clones all that much, as long as they're still fun.  Drake looks like a fun title with a cool story and characters that I will happily pick up at a later date (and hopefully at a cheaper price).  If I took an anti-clone stance, I would have never played Nox (Diablo clone), which I still love to this day.

As long as it's fun and keeps me interested I'm all for it, even if it does play almost identically to Gears Of War.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2007, 10:41:11 AM »

I don't mind clones all that much, as long as they're still fun.  Drake looks like a fun title with a cool story and characters that I will happily pick up at a later date (and hopefully at a cheaper price).  If I took an anti-clone stance, I would have never played Nox (Diablo clone), which I still love to this day.

As long as it's fun and keeps me interested I'm all for it, even if it does play almost identically to Gears Of War.

I'd agree, except I find it vastly LESS fun than Gears of War.

Offline Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2007, 11:06:52 AM »
Hehe, well judging from the demo, I am inclined to agree.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2007, 06:52:02 AM »

...Pro666 as the most negative person on the forum...

He's not negative. He just likes to make fun out of our little whiney comments/complaints.

Oh and GP isn't negative either, believe it!

Nobody in this forum is negative...there.

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2007, 06:58:19 AM »

I'm just negative against rip off clones of another system. This game is obnoxiously obvious that it is based fully off Gears of War, but in a jungle setting with boring people enemies. It is NOTHING compared to Ratchet and Clank which I feel is a great PS3 game, and it isn't even as good as Heavenly Sword which I really enjoyed it.

I hate to break it to you but you can't make a game anymore these days without having similarities to another game. Gears of War isn't even all that original.  I've played Gears and i've played Uncharted and they are completely different other than a few shooting mechanics.  I guess you just don't get uncharted and that fine but let the people who enjoyed the game and want to chat about it post in this thread.  Leave your negativity at the door.
My Wii Code:

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2007, 03:40:09 AM »
Ryan, I think we established that this game has a few similarities to Gears of War but! 90% of the combat scheme is a carbon copy of gear of war.

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2007, 07:01:47 AM »

Ryan, I think we established that this game has a few similarities to Gears of War but! 90% of the combat scheme is a carbon copy of gear of war.

That's a fair statement. Sorry, I get a little fired up.  I guess that makes me an Uncharted fanboy
My Wii Code:

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2007, 11:14:56 AM »
hah gears of war is just a ripoff of Winback on n64! That being said I loved Gears of War...there should be more games like it!
I just bought the game, but i wont get to play it till the Jan/2nd or 3rd. I got it for my brothers ps3 for his xmas present.  

After Mario came out wasn't 90% of games thereafter based on its gameplay? More games should have Zelda gameplay. Portal was great, it was like a cross between Zelda and a shooter. In Zelda you get one weopon with some crazy game mechanic per level. As levels progress yuu have to mix them.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
Re: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Demo and Retail
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2008, 12:29:40 PM »
So I'm bumping because I just started playing the retail copy of this game.

Overall I think it's really interesting.  Now, I've never played Gears of War, but I feel like the shooting (which is what everyone in this thread claims is the rip off portion) is not the primary part of the game.  It feels closer to PoP to me than that.

The amazing part of the game is the pacing.  I've never played a game that is paced so much like a movie.  It's quite strange.  I can't decide if I prefer it or not, but the story is moving extremely quickly.

I'm definitely gonna finish this thing off quickly, as I'm craving to play it, so I'll keep putting my opinions in here.  =P  Has anyone else played the retail?
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2008, 07:18:00 PM »
For creepes sake, more games DO NOT need to be like Zelda, there's too many of them out there right now as it is.  My problem with Uncharted is the fact that it's exactly that mixed with Gears of War.  That, and everything STILL looks way too unrealistic and shiny.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2008, 07:23:16 PM »
That's the HD revolution.  It's what you wanted, right?

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2008, 08:27:02 PM »
Can't say I would have.  It's like they're now pushing certain visual effects and themes just so it's in there like it is with everything else.  Oh wait, that's been the industry since it started...

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2008, 10:29:25 AM »
Blind bashing of games always amazes me.  Have either of you played more than the demo?  Sheesh.  It's a great game.  Yes it doesn't bring a ton of great new concepts in terms of game mechanics, but the movie style pacing, over-the-top acting by the characters, and visual environments are top notch.
---------------------

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2008, 01:33:23 PM »
Does it play much differently then the Demo Pale?

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2008, 02:35:37 PM »
Not overall, but like I said, what makes it so good is the story and pacing that goes along with the proven (if not stolen) gameplay mechanics.

The demo doesn't do that part justice.
---------------------

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2008, 04:00:46 PM »
Getting defensive are we?  I'm not blindly bashing anything, I've played a pretty decent clip of the game and my opinion still stands on it. 

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2008, 04:41:00 PM »
Not really defensive.  Just comparing it to Zelda amazed me as it doesn't really have anything to do with Zelda...which made me wonder if you had played it.  :)

Now if you wanted to say Prince of Persia merged with Gears of War, I'd get behind that argument but I still claim that the movie like pacing is something that hasn't been done in games very much, and thus makes it worth playing.
---------------------

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2008, 07:07:02 PM »
Not really defensive.  Just comparing it to Zelda amazed me as it doesn't really have anything to do with Zelda...which made me wonder if you had played it.  :)

Now if you wanted to say Prince of Persia merged with Gears of War, I'd get behind that argument but I still claim that the movie like pacing is something that hasn't been done in games very much, and thus makes it worth playing.

Call of Duty 4 has movie like pacing, in fact a few games do on the PC. Regardless I will probably rent it sometime in the future, but the demo did NOT impress me at all.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2008, 01:57:26 PM »
Blind bashing of games always amazes me.  Have either of you played more than the demo?  Sheesh.  It's a great game.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/zeropunctuation/2980-Zero-Punctuation-Uncharted-Drake-s-Fortune
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2008, 02:03:44 PM »
Heh, you are going to let Yahtzee saying a game sucks convince you that it sucks?

There's a scale for him you know... just saying parts are bad and other parts are good means it's a great game.  ;)

PS: I haven't watched his Uncharted one yet because I heard there are spoilers.  That's based on what someone told me was his basic opinion.
---------------------

Offline Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2008, 02:04:52 PM »
I like the racism jokes.

EDIT:  3/6/08

I just picked this game up yesterday, and I'm having a blast with it.  Definitely worth the purchase.  It's beautiful to look at, the platforming is fun, and I'm loving the story.

My only complaint so far is that sometimes I think they go too far with the combat sequences.  I like it when I have short encounters with a few combatants, rather than epic three wave confrontations with 5+ guys at a time.  For some reason it just drags me down to have to stop exploring the levels for ten minutes to fight off the mercenaries.  Or maybe it's just 'cause I can't aim worth a **** on the PS3 controller.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 01:41:20 PM by Maverick »

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2008, 02:52:34 PM »
Whoa, I had no idea SMF gives you the NEW tag if someone only edits a post.

Awesome.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2008, 02:57:48 PM »
Hey, that is pretty cool.  Now everyone can follow my glorious example and not double post.   8)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2008, 03:02:20 PM »
Whoa, I had no idea SMF gives you the NEW tag if someone only edits a post.

It doesn't.  I've been editing this post every week and it doesn't ever get a NEW tag.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2008, 04:38:01 PM »
So I guess they released the update for Trophy support.  Unfortunately no retroactive trophies, so if you want them you have to replay the game.  Which is double sux since the trophies are exactly the same as the in-game "medals".  Kind of bullshit, but if you've been wanting to replay this pretty good game, but were just looking for some motivation, and if you're an achievement whore, now's your chance.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2008, 08:37:11 PM »
I'm all over this.  It gives me an excuse to play through it on Hard, which I don't mind.  Besides, it isn't that much more difficult than Normal; there's not as much ammo and the enemies are a little more aggressive, but it's not a big deal.

I just glad they went back and did it.  Warhawk is going to have a patch too, but they're going to count the awards you already have.  Naughty Dog didn't do it because they were worried about people using existing saved games to cheat or something.

Great game though, one of the top 5 for PS3 easily.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2008, 09:13:14 PM »
I really don't understand why they're worried about people downloading save games to "cheat" for Trophies.  Who gives a ****?  They're utterly meaningless other than for use as e-penis size contests.  Let the people who don't "cheat" get their retroactive trophies, and if other people are inclined to "cheat" in order to wave around their huge gamer scores, who cares?

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2008, 09:41:11 PM »
You know how it is, man.  People start bitching about cheaters and then you have a PR ****-storm on your hands.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2008, 11:55:17 PM »
Great game though, one of the top 5 for PS3 easily.

WOW what an accomplishment! ;)

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2008, 12:09:33 AM »
I know that having played the demo isn't saying much, but I wasn't impressed.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2008, 12:24:26 AM »
The demo did its job:  convinced people not to buy it.

Offline Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2008, 12:48:27 AM »
Yeah, I wasn't impressed much with the demo either.  But eventually I caved in and I enjoyed it a lot.  Not a "BEST GAME EVER ZOMG!" but still a very good game.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2008, 04:12:44 AM »
Yeah, I wasn't impressed much with the demo either.  But eventually I caved in and I enjoyed it a lot.  Not a "BEST GAME EVER ZOMG!" but still a very good game.

I've only played the demo and was far from impressed. It felt to me like Gears of War in the jungle complete with conveniently placed barriers and never ending droves of generic humans (at least Gears of Wars had interesting character design). If the game is different from the demo in design and variety then I think Sony did a horrendous job with the demo which should get people INTERESTED in the game! I'm still waiting for a price drop though so I can maybe pick it up, because I thought the same thing about Heavenly Sword's demo and ended up loving the game.

Offline Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 06, 2008, 04:17:23 AM »
There are a lot of interesting environments throughout the game The abandoned Sub is amazing but as I mentioned above, I became bored with the combat over time as it was just the same thing over and over, and the fights would carry on too long at times, I felt.

My favorite parts of the game were exploring and platforming.  Unfortunately they chose to focus on combat more so that those, but there was still plenty of it.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 06, 2008, 05:38:13 PM »
There are some parts of the game that drag, for sure.  There are times when you just have wave after wave of enemies for no real purpose.  But I loved the story, and other than the couple of areas where I thought the combat dragged on, I thought it was great.  Really good characters, really good script, amazing graphics, and a legitimate action-movie feel.  It's Romancing the Stone-ish, a type of game that you just don't see on consoles that often.  I thought it was a refreshing change of pace.

And it wasn't like Gears of War at all.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2008, 01:55:09 PM »
Just played this demo yesterday.  It sounds like my major gripe is in the game quite a bit, the droves of endless pirates.  I really dug the characters and environment, but I'm not sure I can take blasting so many pirates.  Perhaps I'll pick it up though if I catch a good deal.  I'm pretty curious to see how the story plays out....
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2008, 05:51:13 PM »
The draw with Uncharted is the amazing graphics, likeable characters, and great story.  It really is like playing through Romancing the Stone or one of those over-the-top 80's adventure movies.

At this point I wouldn't pay full price; I'm sure it'll be a GH title soon.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2008, 09:07:58 PM »
Yep it's greatest hits pricing here and for such a price it was well worth it. Yep at times the waves of pirates can get frustrating but the overall game quality is high enough that it doesn't significantly detract from the experience.
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #75 on: September 24, 2008, 11:46:16 PM »
I must concede that this game is probably better than Brothers in Arms for Wii.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2008, 12:47:40 AM »
I just beat the game on the hardest difficulty. Like Gears of War, the trick is head shots.

The last few chapters are quite different than the beginning. I was worried that it was going to degrade into a frustrating experience, but I got through it without too much trouble.

I'm missing 20 pieces of treasure, which is hard to believe since I spent so much time looking all over the place for them. Maybe some don't glitter?

Overall a fun game, but definately a renter unless your goal is to unlock all of the trophies.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2008, 09:58:50 AM »
The only place where I thought the game seriously dragged was in the middle when you're going through the fort.  The rest of the game is wave after wave of enemies, but the environments are kept fresh enough that it doesn't get boring.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2008, 12:48:02 PM »
I'm ashamed to say I couldn't even get through the Pirates in the demo.....

It was late though, and there was Cognac involved...

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2008, 01:25:53 PM »
I can see that.  My general experience was that Uncharted was one of those games that I'd play for couple of hours at a stretch, and then say "OK, I've had enough for the evening".  I always wanted to come back to it though, mainly to see how the story turned out.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 18, 2008, 03:32:32 PM »
Rented Drakes Fortune last night to pass the time until LBP.  Man this game is sweet!  I couldn't put it down, I'm already 40% of the way through!

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2008, 03:39:44 PM »
Probably the strongest aspect of Uncharted for me is its brisk pace.  You'll find that the action does get repetitive near the end, but all of the environments are very different - and beautiful - so you're always eager to keep moving forward to see what's next.  They also mix up the action with some really cool non-shooter sequences that have you doing something very different from running'n'gunning.

I think Uncharted is a great game.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 18, 2008, 04:02:43 PM »
Probably the strongest aspect of Uncharted for me is its brisk pace.  You'll find that the action does get repetitive near the end, but all of the environments are very different - and beautiful - so you're always eager to keep moving forward to see what's next.  They also mix up the action with some really cool non-shooter sequences that have you doing something very different from running'n'gunning.

I think Uncharted is a great game.

Exactly, thats what keeps pushing me forward, the different environments, and finding out what happened to my crew..  I assumed the level in the demo was the first level, but it was actually a ways into the game.  Staring off and the boat and literally shooting pirates was a great way to suck the player in.  And though the shooting can be a bit repetitive, its not nearly as bad as I feared, I actually enjoy it quite a bit.

And the plat-forming.....just awesome.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #83 on: October 18, 2008, 04:18:19 PM »
I need to play this again so I can have the trophies that show I've finished it....

Man, what?
---------------------

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 18, 2008, 05:08:05 PM »
Yeah Pale, that really burned me too.  I beat the game and then a few months later they come out with non-retroactive trophies.  So lame.  Naughty Dog's rationale (excuse) for that is that they didn't want people to be able to copy over a save file with an already-completed game/trophies and "cheat" their way to getting all the trophies.  While I can understand that, you'd think they could issue a patch that prevented that, or find some other way to stop that from happening.

That said, it's one of the few games that I wouldn't mind playing through a second time.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 18, 2008, 11:10:35 PM »
As soon as that chick broke us out of jail and I saw the jeep I thought "Please let me shoot grenades at pirates while she drives like a maniac...."

Wish granted.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 19, 2008, 01:52:17 AM »
that part was fun. there needed to be more like it.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 19, 2008, 01:55:20 AM »
Still waiting for this game to drop in price.  :-\

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 19, 2008, 01:16:51 PM »
You're getting Gears 2, right?  You don't need Uncharted, then.  From what I've heard, they're exactly the same experience.     ;)
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 27, 2008, 04:37:45 PM »
So I finished Uncharted last night.  Simply spectacular.  In case anyone hasn't finished it yet I won't spoil the story, but it is certainly compelling enough to keep you thinking, "Ok, just one more chapter" through the first play through.  In fact, it was my wife who usually urged me to keep going so she could see what would happen next, and that has NEVER happened with a game in our house.

All in all, I would easily give this game 5 Cigars out of 5.  The only gripe I had, and a minor one at that, was picking up weapons and ammo, it can be a bit skittish.  Other than that though, the game is an absolute pleasure to play through the first time, with enough to drag you back in for some of the harder difficulty settings down the road.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 27, 2008, 05:32:16 PM »
You're getting Gears 2, right?  You don't need Uncharted, then.  From what I've heard, they're exactly the same experience.     ;)

Actually I'm not getting Gears 2.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 27, 2008, 08:25:08 PM »
Like I said, it's one of the few games I will play through again.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline Schadenfreude

• It's human nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 27, 2008, 08:41:46 PM »
I thought there was way too much fighting in Uncharted and hope the sequel leans more toward platforming. I got really tired of fighting wave after wave and would stop playing when I walked into rooms with more enemies. I think Gears does a much better job of pacing. That being said, I really enjoyed the section of the game where the enemies changed.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 27, 2008, 09:48:17 PM »
I thought there was way too much fighting in Uncharted and hope the sequel leans more toward platforming. I got really tired of fighting wave after wave and would stop playing when I walked into rooms with more enemies. I think Gears does a much better job of pacing. That being said, I really enjoyed the section of the game where the enemies changed.

Wave after wave of enemy is hardcore though and a sign of brilliant game design.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 27, 2008, 10:26:26 PM »
Play more than the demo, GP, and then come talk to me.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 27, 2008, 10:33:44 PM »
Play more than the demo, GP, and then come talk to me.

Just responding to Schadenfreude's comments! I think he played more than the demo!

Offline Schadenfreude

• It's human nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 27, 2008, 10:47:13 PM »
I beat the entire game. I enjoyed it, but I think I expected more platforming then there ended up being. The first hour is all platforming (and the game is 8 hours long), but after that it appears for sparse intervals.

The jet ski parts were also pretty lame.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #97 on: October 27, 2008, 11:11:06 PM »
"(and the game is 8 hours long)"

=|

I expect more from a game that fits on a 25gb disc.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 27, 2008, 11:23:08 PM »
Talk to the Uncharted hand.  ;-)
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline Schadenfreude

• It's human nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 28, 2008, 12:11:09 AM »
I think it was better then Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction but not as good as Zack and Wiki, if that says anything about my tastes.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 28, 2008, 10:34:15 AM »
Though there were a lot of waves, it really wasn't that bad.  What you see in the demo is almost as bad as it gets.  Honestly, the demo almost pushed me away from the game as I anticipated a ridiculous amount of enemies would follow deeper into the game.

What won me over was the variety.  Different setting, nailing pirates from the jet ski, from the jeep, from a boat, as you were running away, and even the quick time sequences were used in good taste.

If you have a PS3 and still haven't played this game, just give it a rental. 

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2010, 05:29:05 AM »
So I tried this demo on my new PS3. Where is the stuff that makes this game special?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 11, 2010, 05:48:42 AM »
So I tried this demo on my new PS3. Where is the stuff that makes this game special?

In Uncharted 2, mostly.

Unfortunately, that demo doesn't give you a real feel for the one real saving grace of the first Uncharted: the characters.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 11, 2010, 11:17:26 AM »
The demo is a bit weak but I still stand by the first game as a classic. First game I ever played that made me look forward to cutscenes.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 11, 2010, 05:03:29 PM »
The cutscene in the demo was good, but not really better characterization than Half Life 2.