Author Topic: IT'S MAHVEL BAYBEE!! [OT] for the Marvel Cinematic Universe (Movies & TV)  (Read 1170532 times)

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: IT'S MAHVEL BAYBEE!! [OT] for the Marvel Cinematic Universe (Movies & TV)
« Reply #2650 on: January 30, 2017, 09:32:48 PM »
I completely agree, Khush.

But as long as Marvel Studios is willing to play it safe with their movies because they'll sell no matter what, they won't try to push the limits. I can see X-Men getting closer to an Academy Award than anything coming from the future of the MCU. First Class is still one of the best acted superhero films out there, and if they can pull off the aesthetic and emotion needed in Logan, I could see that being quite a good film, as well.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: January 30, 2017, 09:53:59 PM »
I know Doctor Strange won for best visuals from the HFA's
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/doctor_strange/doctor-strange-has-won-a-hollywood-films-award-a145806

But Deadpool is up for Best Pic noms in 2 different award ceremonies.

not expecting a win, but a nomination in Best Pic is a HUGE step forward.

So, as we know, Deadpool wasn't nominated for Best Picture but that isn't a surprise to me as my previous posting explained. But I did just want to take a moment to state that it was a surprise the Golden Globes nominated it, however, the Globes are more flexible in their selections and like to include popular stuff in the Comedy/Musical category. Usually, that's the closest any of those types of movies get to an award. The Globes have nominated Melissa McCarthy's Spy and Amy Schumer's Trainwreck in that category and neither were ever going to be considered for a Best Picture nominee nor are they particularly that great but they gave 'em a nod to increase the appeal of the show and nominees there.

The PGA nod is more significant but again, the Producers Guild likes to nominate successes in production so with Deadpool being the highest R rated feature getting a nomination from the PGA was a sort of reward for the successful risk it took and it paying off so well.

As for the Oscars, I'm not even sure Dr. Strange will win that as I'm seeing more talk for The Jungle Book than it and after last year's Ex Machina win out of nowhere win, who knows how that category will go. On the ironical side, Suicide Squad has a better chance of winning an Oscar since it is nominated in Make-up with only 2 other competitors compared to Dr. Strange vs 4 other competitors. That said, I would be shocked if Suicide Squad won. Unfortunately, the Make-up category often allows for some stinkers to say they've been nominated for an Oscar. It's odd how some bad movies can have really elaborate make-up jobs and techniques. Jackass present Bad Grandpa or something like that was nominated in the Make-up category a year or two ago as well. My guess is Star Trek: Beyond wins the make-up category but I need to look up and see what A Man Called Ove is which is the other nominee. I honestly don't have a problem with ST:Beyond winning the award. On reflection, I think it was the best of the Summer Popcorn blockbusters I saw this year. Awards are strange and funny like that.

If Marvel wants to go for an award then they should try casting Anna Kendrick as Squirrel Girl and make it a musical as she tries to gain respect in the superhero community and conquer Hollywood while fighting racists and intolerant bigots shot in an antiquated movie style.

If they get TOO successful and popular they will just eliminate the "problem" by creating a new category, like they did with Best Animated Picture. Nothing will ever top Beauty & the Beast because of what they did to separate the "kiddie" material.

Granted, there were some benefits for separating those films, but I still think the motivation was originated through a negative line of thought.

Made the best animated picture category. I'm more conspiracy theory-ing it but it felt like they created that category because they didn't want their "grown up shows" getting challenged for best picture.

They robbed any animated picture from getting one of the most prestigious Academy Awards.

You sort of corrected yourself later and mentioned you were a bit wrong on your info but just to completely clarify the point, the Best Animated Feature award wasn't created until 2001 which is about 10 years after Beauty and the Beast was nominated. It wasn't done to keep animated movies from getting nominated but to find a way to honor them and give them some due since it was hard for them to get a Best Picture nominee. That doesn't mean an animated film couldn't be nominated for Best Picture and, indeed, Up and Toy Story 3 were later able to do just that. It's much the same with how the Oscars have a Foreign Language Oscar in order to give recognition to great films made outside the US. A foreign film can still be nominated for Best Picture and a couple were able to get a nomination like Z, Cries & Whispers and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, it's just really hard to do because of the make-up of the Academy so have the separate category allows a bit of spotlight to be shone on those films and to give them a bit of their due.

It's funny but when the Academy changed their Best Picture selection process after The Dark Knight snub to 10 total nominations that is when Up and Toy Story 3 were able to get Best Picture nominations. However, because some other weaker films were able to be included among the 10 nominated, it was viewed as potentially damaging to the Oscar's prestige so they changed the voting rules again and this has led to the past few years of less than 10 BP nominees and an Animated Film has yet to get a Best Picture nomination again. According to information released about the Academy, it's full of a lot of older people and many of them are dismissive of animated movies. There's a site that has published anonymous Oscar ballets from some members and one member abstained from voting on the Best Animated Feature and just let his kid do it since he doesn't watch kid stuff. With that kind of attitude, it's going to be very hard for any Animated Feature to get another BP nomination. If Inside Out couldn't do it last year, I think it's going to be a long time until the make-up of the Academy changes some more or different voting rules are brought in place before quality animated films get the credit they deserve. If that's the treatment Animated Movies get, well, then, don't expect comic book films to get treated much better. Aside from the fact they show real people acting in it, that's about the only advantage they have to some people in being better than animated movies. There's the fear of animation and motion capture characters replacing real actors on screen which also leads to a higher hurdle for animated movies and blockbusters to overcome.

That is why, although I still like following the Oscars, I don't consider them the ultimate guide to dictating the best of the best in film. The Oscars can definitely help in shedding some light on great movies to find and watch and sometimes they are bang on with their choice of Best Picture like Casablanca or Lawrence of Arabia. And sometimes, they aren't. If you really like a movie and it also wins Best Picture, it's nice to see a positive experience you had was shared with a majority of others and also sort of validated. If it doesn't win, that doesn't ruin the movie or make your enjoyment any less real. I just use the Oscars as a guide to trying some movies I may not have thought to look up or try and the winners (and losers) are knowledge to keep in Trivia Games and Game Shows.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: January 30, 2017, 10:05:45 PM »
I completely agree, Khush.

But as long as Marvel Studios is willing to play it safe with their movies because they'll sell no matter what, they won't try to push the limits. I can see X-Men getting closer to an Academy Award than anything coming from the future of the MCU. First Class is still one of the best acted superhero films out there, and if they can pull off the aesthetic and emotion needed in Logan, I could see that being quite a good film, as well.

Now that you bring it up, First Class really is one of the top tier Super Hero flicks I've seen in the past 15 years also. My only caveat is that I saw it soon after I finally got around to watching the first 3 X-men movies. It was about a 2 - 3 week span where I got caught up on them all including Days of Future Past. While First Class was the best of them all, I felt the reason I really liked it as much as I did was because I had seen the first 3 X-Men films knew the back story (or is it future story) of these characters. Thus, it was sort of like watching a Greek tragedy as you knew the outcome these characters were headed for and yet it was still handled in such a way that kept the events utterly compelling and you felt the weight of emotion these characters were carrying as the dominoes fell and events lead them to the outcomes we knew were coming.

One of the greatest triumphs in the film is near the end with the submarine scene. The earlier X-Men films had Magneto already pulling off some very impressive feats. He transported the freaking Golden Gate bridge around in the 3rd film. So, lifting a submarine doesn't seem like a big deal on paper when compared to what has come before. Yet, in all the X-Men movies made so far, that submarine still feels like the most impressive Magneto has ever done. The movie really captured the wonder/thrill/emotion/gravitas/scale of that moment. It was like you were there in the '60's and witnessing the emergence of a real superhero for the first time. First Class indeed.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: January 31, 2017, 01:54:52 AM »
Cloak and Dagger have been cast
https://news.marvel.com/tv/58909/marvels-cloak-dagger-casts-leads/

Olivia Holt and Aubrey Joseph

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: January 31, 2017, 08:28:23 PM »
I saw the Cloak & Dagger news, and also the storm of people upset over the retcon of their story. People think it will be "yet another teen drama" when it should have been part of the more gritty Netflix series.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2655 on: January 31, 2017, 11:55:48 PM »
I all goes according to plan:

NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: February 01, 2017, 12:33:40 AM »
and what plan would that be?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: February 01, 2017, 03:26:50 PM »
The way it has been going, it'll never happen. Spider-man needs to get to maximum carnage.

Spider-man should be treated like Harry Potter in that they should plan for making like 7 movies. What happens though is the studio tries to cram as many villains as possible into one movie, and it kills the franchise. There should be no more than one or two villains a movie until like part 5. Then they can go ahead and push factions.
Luckily Tom Holland is a young Spider-man. He could be Spider-man into his mid 30s.

edit: oh damn! right after I typed this up I checked out the wikipedia page of home coming.

one of the early ideas [Marvel] had" for the films would be to follow the model of the Harry Potter film series, and have the plot of each film cover a new school year, adding "it was sort of how do we do a journey for Peter not dissimilar for what the students of Hogwarts would go through each of their years"
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 03:32:16 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: February 01, 2017, 07:26:25 PM »
They should treat Spider-Man movies like they treat Squirrel Girl movies.

They shouldn't exist.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2659 on: February 01, 2017, 08:03:02 PM »
They should treat Spider-Man movies like they treat Squirrel Girl movies.

They shouldn't exist.

WRONG.  They should treat Squirrel Girl movies like they treat Deadpool movies.  They should exist and be incredibly awesome and funny.  They should treat Spiderman movies like they treat Avengers movies...wholly owned and controlled by Marvel Studios and not SONY...which sucks.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: February 01, 2017, 08:24:18 PM »
Squirrel Girl is the biggest mistake Marvel has ever made.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: February 01, 2017, 08:45:49 PM »
Squirrel Girl is a mistake many people make. I know I've made it quite a few times in my life. But you can't help yourself. That girl got some tail on her.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 08:56:39 PM by NWR_Insanolord »

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2662 on: February 02, 2017, 06:50:22 AM »
Squirrel Girl proves comics can still just be fun, colorful, silly and funny.  It is for all ages and just awesome.  She is to Marvel what Plastic Man is to DC.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2663 on: February 02, 2017, 06:51:11 AM »
How am I listed as Phil?

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2664 on: February 02, 2017, 06:52:11 AM »
Something strange is happening...I blame Khush.  He is always to blame.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #2665 on: February 02, 2017, 07:39:20 AM »
How am I listed as Phil?

Not even "P"hil. Lowercase phil. Shows how important that user is here. :(
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: February 02, 2017, 12:02:23 PM »
How am I listed as Phil?

Not even "P"hil. Lowercase phil. Shows how important that user is here. :(

Blame the forum Software. It won't let another user have the privilege of being Phil because that belongs to the one and only even if he is sporting another name. It can let someone else be phil though because that doesn't exactly match to Phil's name by having a lowercase p. I suppose it proves the point that there is no replacing Phil, nor would anyone here want to, but phil is the closest one can get to experience being that great, great poster and that's not a bad compromise.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: February 05, 2017, 07:53:49 PM »
This looks great.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 10:56:37 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: February 05, 2017, 08:15:17 PM »
Guardians of the Galaxy is my favorite thing that Marvel has released. It's the only Marvel film I've actually seen twice while it was playing in the theatre. My brother hadn't seen it yet but I liked it enough to go a second time and it was still worth it. I've ended up seeing the thing probably 5 times now because there are other people I'd be hanging with who hadn't seen it or wanted to watch so I watched it again with them plus from time to time I've watched other bits and pieces of it as it played on the movie channels. In some ways, I'm a little sick of the movie having seen it so much now especially since I don't often watch a lot of movies over and over. Yet, it continues to stay pretty compelling. There's some movie alchemy at play in the film. I know a big reason of it is the music and I'm not talking about the popular songs that play through it, the awesome mix. Funny thing is, I don't care for a lot of those songs on their own but they work well in the movie. What I'm referring to is the actual theatrical score for the film that doesn't get enough credit. It's been overshadowed by the Awesome mix but I think it is the true unsung hero of that film. It is so good. Movie soundtracks are a genre of music I like to listen to but it can be hard to find real gems worth listening to. Guardians of the Galaxy is a treasure trove of great themes.

As such, GotG Vol. 2 is, at this point, the movie I most want to see this year. As far as Superhero flicks go, it is the only one I'm sold on seeing in theatres. I'm not really interested in Thor as I've found the first two rather lackluster and even Spiderman doesn't really interest me that much. Blame the Amazing Spiderman movies I suppose but seeing another Spiderman movie just gets a "meh" from me even with Marvel taking over. People are so excited that Marvel has the property back but that doesn't mean much to me since there are plenty of Marvel movies I've found so-so already. Then there's Wonder Woman on the DC side. Is that the only DC movie out next year? I've never been a real fan of the property. On the positive side, it at least looks a bit different from other superhero flicks and it has the different setting of World War 1 as a backdrop but that's not enough to be excited about. So, there's my quick take on upcoming Superhero flicks. Bring on the Guardians. To be decided on everything else.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2670 on: February 06, 2017, 10:44:01 PM »
Good point about the GotG score. I need to listen to that more as well. It is a good point since one of the overarching criticisms of the MCU I have heard is the lack of strong musical themes. Aside form the pop songs like Iron Man and such, there aren't that many tunes in the series that stick with you after the film is done. This might be done on purpose as Marvel has a different focus in their films, but it still takes away from each individual film.

I agree with the thought of Awesome Mix being mediocre on its own and phenomenal in the film setting. Aside from Hooked on a feeling and Spirit in the Sky there wasn't a whole lot on the Awesome Mix  that I really go out of my way to play, though I can enjoy the songs if they come on the radio/Pandora station. Hoping this is rectified a bit with Volume 2, though maybe not too much so the original score still has a chance to shine.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: February 07, 2017, 10:40:18 AM »
New Iron Fist trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7nfhrTlmIY

I haven't seen it yet, so let me know what you think.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: February 07, 2017, 10:53:09 AM »
Fiege says Thanos is main character on Infinity War
http://collider.com/avengers-infinity-war-thanos-main-character/

Fiege speaks on Thor: Ragnarok and the future of MCU Cosmos
http://screenrant.com/thor-3-ragnarok-planets-nine-realms/
“I don’t know about branching off from this, but certainly inhabiting similar areas from this. A lot of our upcoming movies will. I mean the upcoming movies will be as much up here, as they are on Earth, starting with not Spider-Man, starting with Thor: Ragnarok. There are three scenes on Earth in Thor: Ragnarok. Everything else is Asgard, and not all of these worlds, but world that certainly, let’s put it this way, in Thor lingo, it’s beyond the nine realms. There are other planets that we spend a lot of time on in Thor: Ragnarok, that certainly people would say, ‘oh, that’s sort of like the Guardians world’, but they’re just other areas of the Marvel cosmos universe.â€
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 12:45:16 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: February 10, 2017, 10:17:06 PM »
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA