Author Topic: What is your most recent gaming purchase?  (Read 765614 times)

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Re: What is your most recent gaming purchase?
« Reply #1850 on: August 21, 2016, 08:11:35 PM »
Wow, feel so lucky tonight.  A local collector was clearing out some stuff he had doubles of - and I was able to grab a GBA SP AGS-101 in very good condition for $50 CAD and the special edition (with book and CD) of Kirby's Dream Collection in what looks like unplayed condition for an extra $20 CAD.

Feels like both are amazing deals!

I've been watching casually for a AGS-101 for the past three years before coming the realization that I'd probably never find one at a price I'd be willing to pay. Really hoping to transplant the screen into an original GBA body so that I can use batteries instead of relying on having a charging location while travelling.

Kirby Dream Collection is also one of those Wii games that I missed originally and had kind of given up hope on - the online pricing is more than it's worth to me, even though it's a game I'm super happy to have in my collection now.

Incredibly thankful for these finds. Turned what was a pretty lousy weekend into a huge score for my collection.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #1851 on: August 22, 2016, 12:41:06 AM »
Grabbed a copy of TrackMania: Build to Race (Wii) from eBay this week. Price was ok, not great.

I've been trying to find good Wii games that I don't already own to round out my collection. Right now it feels like I've got "most of the good stuff"... but there are a handful of interesting titles like this one that I've never run into in the wild.  Some are outside the price range I'm willing to pay, but TrackMania looks really neat and was still affordable/easy to find. If anyone has suggestions for off-beat games worth playing, please let me know.

Also grabbed MLB Power Pros 2008 and MySims Agents, as both were available for very low prices. Power Pros looks like a wonderful baseball sim - the graphics are very stylized but I've heard nothing but praise for the gameplay - while MySims Agents looks like something that my kids are at the right age to play.

Brings my collection up to 193 Wii games, although a handful are kids games that I have no attachment to so the number will drop by a half dozen or so eventually. 
(Link in case anyone's interested: http://www.backloggery.com/games.php?user=ejamer&console=Wii)

How is the Wii entry of Trackmania? I've never played a game in the series, but they look like so much fun. I have Turbo checked out from the library for the PS4 that I'm excited to try!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #1852 on: August 22, 2016, 12:53:33 AM »
Fallout 4 dlc: Far harbour, everything a DLC should be It adds pretty much a whole new world to the game with 20+ hours of content playing through it now really good stuff.
Made you look ****.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: August 22, 2016, 08:50:42 AM »
Grabbed a copy of TrackMania: Build to Race (Wii) from eBay this week. Price was ok, not great.

How is the Wii entry of Trackmania? I've never played a game in the series, but they look like so much fun. I have Turbo checked out from the library for the PS4 that I'm excited to try!

After playing a bit over the weekend, I really wanted to talk about the game. It's the first entry I've played from the series, but I really enjoy the game and would feel comfortable giving is a hearty recommendation.

Outside of the track building - which is pretty damn great - the game doesn't do much to blow me away. Graphics are fine but a bit simplistic, performance has been consistent but never shocking. However, the game has been very solid with controls that feel good and (so far) steady performance regardless of which tracks I've been racing on. It provides exactly what it promises: an arcade experience with quick, time-trial based challenges against ghost cars plus the ability to create and race on your own tracks. So if that sounds at all interesting and if you still play/collect games on the Wii, then it's a great option!

Personally, I'm not a big racing guy so like how tightly and quick the time challenges tend to be. The creative aspects, different game modes (puzzle-like track building and platforming races where the goal is just to not fall off the track) and local multiplayer are like icing on the cake.

Some caveats: I'm sure the experience on other platforms could offer more options, PC in particular; these comments are based on a relatively short amount of time with the game - plenty of levels and building options aren't unlocked yet; I haven't bothered to check if online options are still active because I don't really care about that part of the game.

« Reply #1854 on: August 22, 2016, 12:31:16 PM »
I bought Tony Hawk 5 in a sale because all games in the series between 3 and Thug 2 are some of my favorite games of all time. I knew this game was pretty bad but I figured it'd be worth 15€, now that it's patched an all. It's not. What a trainwreck.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: August 23, 2016, 11:47:07 PM »
I have this game, but I wasn't particularly into it. If I remember rightly, I think everything was just a time trial, which wasn't enough to keep me engaged.

As for suggestions, it may be "just another minigame collection" but Bomberman Land has some good ones in it. It's one of my fave minigame collections on the system and that's saying something.
FlingSmash is like a side-scrolling "break the blocks" game but I liked it. The controls take some getting used to but I found they work reasonably well once I understood the kinds of motions the game's looking for.
There are some Harvest Moon games on Wii if you're into that.
Puzzle Quest and Puzzle Kingdoms may be less necessary now with so many similar (but less deep) stuff on phones, but they're worth checking out.
If you liked Rune Factory Frontier then check out its sequel, Rune Factory Tides of Destiny. It has less focus on farming and more on dungeons, but it's still good.
Again, minigame collection, but I also liked Thrilleville: Off the Rails a lot too. The theme park simulation stuff is pretty basic, but the games are solid and some are pretty elaborate.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: August 24, 2016, 07:30:48 AM »
I have this game, but I wasn't particularly into it. If I remember rightly, I think everything was just a time trial, which wasn't enough to keep me engaged.

You are totally right about that. There are puzzle and platform modes too, but all racing action is essentially time trials - no other cars on the track (just ghost data), no campaign or story or anything, and no customization or improvement for your cars. Worked for me, but easy to see how it wouldn't for everyone.

... Bomberman Land ... FlingSmash ... Harvest Moon ... Puzzle Quest and Puzzle Kingdoms ... Rune Factory Tides of Destiny ...Thrilleville: Off the Rails ...

Thanks for the suggestions!

Bomberman Land is actually something I've been actively looking for - missed a great eBay auction price recently and am still sad. All reviews suggest it's a "better than expected" mini-game collection, and after my digital Bomberman Blast was transferred to my Wii U I'd love to have a physical version of the mulitplayer mode that isn't locked to hardware.  Will definitely buy eventually.

FlingSmash wasn't my thing - used to own it, but didn't enjoy the gameplay enough so traded it away eventually. The rest of the games you mention list all sound very interesting though.  (I didn't realize that Puzzle Kingdoms was made by the same people as Puzzle Quest - had always thought it was just a knock-off.)

For Harvest Moon games, did you have one you liked better than others?  There seem to be three on Wii: Tree of Tranquility, Magical Melody, and (the super cute and highest rating on Metacritic) Animal Parade. I've never played an entry in the series, but my younger brother loved the N64 release.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: August 27, 2016, 04:41:09 PM »
Ah, I was going by your Backloggery list and didn't see FlingSmash there. I thought you could also list "used-to-own" games there, or maybe that's missing the point.

If you just want one Harvest Moon on Wii, I'd suggest Animal Parade would be the one to get, but Tree of Tranquility has its charms too. I would not recommend Magical Melody as it is a later port of the GCN game, but is actually missing a couple of features such as no longer having the option to choose the girl character, and some of the button prompts still refer to the GCN controller even though you can use only Wiimote + Nunchuk. If you are interested in that game then I would suggest to go with the actual GCN original.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: August 28, 2016, 02:25:29 PM »
Ah, I was going by your Backloggery list and didn't see FlingSmash there. I thought you could also list "used-to-own" games there, or maybe that's missing the point.

By the time I started Backloggery, there were so many games I had already previously owned that I never bothered with that status...

Animal Parade is officially on the way.  Looks absolutely adorable!

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #1859 on: August 28, 2016, 06:36:08 PM »
Skylanders Swap Force for PS3 and 3DS were available at my local Walmart for $10 apiece, so I jumped in on those. I really enjoyed SuperChargers, so I figured I continue with the series.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1860 on: September 04, 2016, 11:24:07 PM »
I've barely touched Xenoblade Chronicles on Wii, but I bought X because it was $30 on clearance at Target. I got the last one. I haven't opened it yet. I haven't played Twilight Princess in like a month and a half. I may get to it tomorrow.

I am eager to play X though.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 11:54:51 PM by Adrock »

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: September 07, 2016, 01:17:35 PM »
How do folks on here typically buy used games? I'm not in a rush because I have plenty to play at the moment, but I plan on eventually purchasing some DS games.

GameStop's prices appear to be uniform since they are online. If they are, and you can buy them that way, is there any reason for me to go into the brick-and-mortar stores unless I want to make an impulse buy? Or are individual stores able to set their own prices?

What about eBay? I've only made a few purchases on there and nothing recently. Are there bargains? Do I need to be regularly monitoring the site to get them? Or should I just wait until I want to make the purchase?

Any advice you can give is appreciated. I live in the northeastern US if that matters.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: September 07, 2016, 01:59:57 PM »
I live in Canada, so things are slightly different (especially around available supply and shipping costs), but will post my experience in case it helps.

Buying used goods locally via Craigslist/Kijiji/etc typically allows the best pricing, and allows you to see the goods before paying and to negotiate a little bit.  However, you have no control over what is available so it's kind of a crap shoot waiting for stuff you want to be sold depending on where you live. You also need to protect yourself with all the usual warnings about meeting strangers from online.

GameStop's prices appear to be uniform since they are online. If they are, and you can buy them that way, is there any reason for me to go into the brick-and-mortar stores unless I want to make an impulse buy? Or are individual stores able to set their own prices?

Condition of games/manuals/cases seems to be the biggest reason I've seen for people buying in store. However, my understanding is that sometimes you can find games in specific stores that aren't available generally online - so if something is out of stock on the website, try using their in-store locator to find a store (doesn't have to be nearby) with the game and then you can ask your local store to transfer that game over and buy direct from them.

What about eBay? I've only made a few purchases on there and nothing recently. Are there bargains? Do I need to be regularly monitoring the site to get them? Or should I just wait until I want to make the purchase?

eBay seems to have more and more "buy it now" listings with pricing based on pricecharting.com values - which means there are fewer deals to be had than there once were.  But if you don't mind monitoring and waiting for a bet then it's still a great source of cheap, used games via auction. You just need to check regularly and only bid as close to the ending time as possible. US residents have a much better deal here than Canadians because many US sales add $12-15 for cross-border shipping when they'll send for free (or just a few bucks) inside mainland USA.

If you want deals, then you really need to use a combination of all three methods (and a healthy measure of patience) for finding your games.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 02:02:59 PM by ejamer »

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: September 07, 2016, 03:15:39 PM »
Very helpful, thanks.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: September 07, 2016, 04:05:02 PM »
I still go to GameStop from time to time, and also Best Buy which has decent prices for used games if they actually have what you want in stock (but having good prices typically means people buy up anything quickly). The quality of GameStop's stuff has really gone downhill recently, finding games with cases and manuals is getting more and more rare, as well as the disc or game card itself being in good condition. Not to mention the huge stickers with very sticky goop they slap onto everything, and their prices aren't as good as they once were. I can still find deals there sometimes though. Best Buy has higher quality standards for used games.

But yeah, it's mostly eBay now since there are so few other options these days.

I'm not in a rush because I have plenty to play at the moment, but I plan on eventually purchasing some DS games.
The advantage of buying in-store would be that you could check out the quality of the item before you buy, such as if it contains its case and manual. Their online stock is typically the copies that didn't sell in store, which means you're highly likely to receive just the game itself and absolutely nothing else. And if it's a disc, it'll likely be one that was resurfaced due to being returned as not working. If you don't care about having a case or manual, then you can buy online.

Be warned however that GameStop does not check if a game is counterfeit, so be sure to closely inspect anything you buy if you want it to be legit. You can return online purchases to any store.

With eBay, the best deals tend to come from auctions so you'll want to wait for those to pop up and follow them. Sometimes, a game will have a good price as a Buy It Now, but of course anything with a good price will be bought up quickly, so you'll need to check the new listings often to get that kind of a deal. You can use the search feature to look over completed listings and see what prices games have sold for (or didn't sell) in the past few months. Newer sellers with less or no feedback get less attention, so you can usually get better deals buying that stuff though it is also a little more risky since the buyer is relatively unknown. But eBay has plenty of protection policies, so you should be able to resolve any problem that happens. It would just take up some time.

Also of note, I'd suggest to not buy anything that ships from outside of the US, including Canada, but especially Hong Kong. Anything from Hong Kong is counterfeit, and there are even counterfeiters selling from Canada. It probably wouldn't be a good idea to bid on anything without pictures, and be certain to inspect anything you do buy to make sure it isn't counterfeit. There are a lot of fakes out there, and even if they do work, they are much lower quality than originals, and using them in a 3DS voids the warranty.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: September 07, 2016, 05:53:28 PM »
I've had some very good luck with Amazon resellers. I will put things on my wishlist and check for price drops from time to time. I prefer buying from Amazon directly but I have more than occasionally bought from what appear to be reputable re-sellers (they have crazy good ratings and thousands of raters) and I have had nothing but good experiences.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: September 07, 2016, 06:38:10 PM »
Great advice, thank you.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: September 08, 2016, 04:17:06 PM »
For used games I rarely buy from stores like Gamestop and Best Buy anymore.  There are enough mom 'n' pop used games stores in the area that I go there.  These are the sort of stores that also carry really old stuff while Gamestop just has used games for current systems.  I find that Gamestop does not discount the price significantly enough for me to bother getting a game used.  These days games tend to get cheap really quickly.  Not Nintendo stuff but other games end up in Wal-mart cheap bins in no time.  So why should I buy a used copy from Gamestop if I can find a new copy of a game that's like a year old for like 20 bucks?  Even if the used copy is cheaper the difference in price ends up being so minor that it's worth two or three bucks more for a brand new copy.

Offline supermario2k

• Totally not The Rat. Really.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: September 13, 2016, 04:05:59 PM »
I understand, not to go off topic rant but it's me what did you expect, why do we still use the term mom n pop? Used video games stores are NEVER run by married couples with kids. Or grandparents. They are soley owned by nerds in their 20's and 30's or older. I know it's a nitpick but why can't we just say local, it takes less key strokes, it's more accurate, it means the same. Sorry end of rant. Not really a rant, just observation carry on.

I started getting back into retro game collecting and we have to local shops, they are called Game X Change. I started shopping there mostly for used DVD's, now that Hasting's is done their my last hope to finish my DVD collection. Well amazon but still. So I started with GBA because I thought Game Boy was popular. Ha, they have all their Game Boy games in a plastic bin behind the counter buried under piles of crap nobody is going to look through. They put out a few in the glass case but that's it. So I try Amazon. Damn those prices! No way.

Then I realize that I don't mind digging through a dusty box of crap only to discover it's 75 percent Tetris, 20 percent random sports crap, and 5 percent old Atari classics. There is nothing worth buying in any of those bins.

I proceed to try e-shop and virtual console. Down due to maintenance. Fine I will come back tomorrow. That was last night, today I already gave up.

So my question is, where do you go to buy regular GB and GBA games without paying an arm and a leg? I know your thinking what you can't afford $15 plus $5 shipping. Sure, but not on 25 year old Game Boy games I am not. And if you accidentally click on the title without clicking the more options, they are pricing these games in the $100 to $300 range. That's just crazy. I don't even buy new games for over $20 I can wait for price drops.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: September 13, 2016, 07:24:23 PM »
Hastings closing was really sad.

The local trade-a-game shops have a decent selection of Gameboy games. The lay them out under glass in the counter. Some local pawn shops will do this too.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: September 14, 2016, 08:52:18 AM »

Been on a used game tear over the last couple of weeks while my gaming stuff besides the PS4 has been in storage waiting to be delivered to my new home.

Rhythm Heaven Fever - $7
Super Mario Galaxy 1 - $6
Super Mario Galaxy 2 - $8
Ergheiz: God Bless The Ring - $10 
Super OffRoad (SNES) - $5
The Lion King (SNES) - $7

Never played a Rhythm Heaven game before, I assume Fever is a decent point of entry?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: September 14, 2016, 10:05:02 AM »
PS4:

The BioShock Collection
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil 5
Pac-Man Championship Edition 2
Rive
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: September 16, 2016, 08:54:22 AM »
Posting this here, because I'm excited but not sure where else to talk about it...

So one thing I've always loved and lusted over are pinball machines. The Pinball Arcade is a game I've spent huge amounts of time on, because lots of their tables are ones I remember from my youth (and others are ones I never saw previously but have really enjoyed learning about).

Digital conversions of real tables can't hold a candle to the real thing - but might be the closest I'll ever get because real tables are typically hard to find, expensive, and require a moderate amount of maintenance. It's a cool hobby, but more than I can commit to.

But recently I saw the Pinbox 3000 KickStarter: 
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/974196497/pinbox-3000

Gameplay videos are more impressive than I expected - clearly not a real pinball table, but more than the novelty I had thought it would be. So even though the KickStarter doesn't seem to have enough momentum to succeed, I'm still keen on the idea of tracking down one of their tables. And why not? A small DIY table that appears to play well, and offers swappable playing surfaces that you design and build yourself?  As a toy you can build and expand yourself, this is pretty damn cool.

Sample obstacle you can build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCLq4k7_-hI
Games being played:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZw41IYH8Is
Neutral (third-party) review:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7mypHaKoVo

Anyway, I think this looks extremely cool and am looking for ways to get in even if the KickStarter does fail. I'd prefer to pay for a nice, well designed and laser-cut cardboard base that is easy to assemble rather than build from scratch, so that my free time can be focused on designing a playing surface instead of building the basic table.

And just to make this Nintendo related, here is another cute link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4ZUrli2aOA
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 08:57:35 AM by ejamer »

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: September 16, 2016, 11:00:00 AM »
Haven't watched the videos yet but the pinball thing does look extremely cool. I also love the virtual pinball games on consoles and have sunk lots of $$ and time into them. A periodic Saturday night party is for my wife and I to have a little too much wine/beer and play some virtual pinball and chat and unwind together. Much more fun than a movie date!

Most recent gaming purchase: Dragon Quest VII. Already about 50 minutes in and, yup, it's Dragon Quest. Which I love.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: September 16, 2016, 07:39:15 PM »
Many moons after getting Donkey Konga at the swap meet I finally got a deal on the bongos. I'm a little late to the rhythm game scene, but it gave me a smile. Hope to one day pick up Jungle Beat.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.