Author Topic: Job problems? Cry here.  (Read 18039 times)

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Job problems? Cry here.
« on: December 18, 2006, 06:46:59 AM »
This is a spin off thread from I didn't graduate Thread. Come here to list, whine, cry, slurp your employment related problems. If it is a job related problem, post it here. Whether you are trying to find one, the boss is riding you in your current one or you need to pull the ejection handle, do it here.

I will start off with own semi-current story from the previous thread plus an update at the end.

Employers are a real pain in the ass sometimes. Atleast they are contacting you and telling you something. I have to chase up each and every one of my CVs to see what has happened to it. When I do catch up with them they start getting all nervous and weird. I normally have to come up short of verbally squezzing them with my salesperson mind powers to get a straight answer from them.

Store manager: "Errm, yeah these things take time" (Been two weeks)
Me: "Yeah you know any info would be nice"
SM : "A letter should have been sent by now"
Me: " Alright then, thanks"

Several working days later (Fouth visit)

Me: "Hi, again, no letter, nothing" (Notes new staff around the store)
SM: "Those things are from HQ"
Me: "Yeah thats great and all, but can you just tell me like yes/no and what is in that letter?"
SM: "Well, err, there aren't any opennings at this store, but HQ looks at them. Why are you chasing this?"
Me: "You know, so I know what I might be doing with myself" (What I am really saying: "FU M0th3r #$^, you could have told me this crap a week ago, now your trying to interogate me on my motivations for following up a CV")
SM: "Oh, ok"
Me: "Thanks anyway" (Asshat)

Epilouge: Still no job, no letter.

Update: Letter arrived. Take a good guess what it said.

Edit for better title.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Job problems? Cry here.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 03:33:04 AM »
I like to Crescent my place in this thread but I've actually had some luck lately... Though expect frequent entries within the next few months.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
RE:Job problems? Cry here.
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 10:30:44 PM »
Hah! Finally after 3 months of handing out my CV like candy I have finally have an interview. Selling duty free or something like that at the airport. They are having a mass group interview or something or rather on Thursday. Wish me luck or feel free to toss me a tip or two.

Maybe it is Chinese New Years power of the pig helping out. I will return with an aftermath report.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 03:56:39 AM »
I just had an interview with a company last Tuesday and I am stil waiting to here back from them. Wednesday through today they have been closed due to weather (and the national holiday today). Hopefully I got the job, especially after driving a total of 8 hours to go on the interview and the 5 hours of interviewing I did on site. Getting a programming job is a huge pain in the ass. Hopefully I pick this job up or else I'm pretty much screwed.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 05:19:25 AM »
Well, I finally got a break and landed a great job as an associate producer at G4, making segments on game strategies.  I put together a full show on Twilight Princess, did a great job, and got a lot of compliments, but the gig only lasted three months.  Now I'm looking for work.  It seems like my old day job is still open, but let me tell you, once the perfect job has come and gone, it's a whole lot harder to settle for less.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 06:00:38 AM »
I don't have a job, so I can't contribute to this thread .  
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline segagamer12

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 06:45:32 AM »
I am currently unemployed as well. lukily my website is picking up in sales so im not broke all the time.  
You can call me
THE RAT thank you very much
check out http://www.myspace.com/phatrat1982

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 08:43:10 PM »
I feel too wasted... after action report tommrow. D-Day +1.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 03:47:55 AM »
job problem: i worked at the nintendo world store in manhattan playing wii for 8 hours a day... and no i dont
been out of work almost a month now i think... it sucks
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 12:57:55 PM »
Wow. the interview process was hardcore. It wasn't helped by the fact I didn't get enough sleep last night. I looked like a Gando with a Vegetas hair cut. Lucky, sister had a friend who work the celebs looks in the city and gave me the 5 star treatment. I now look human.

It's is summer over here, so I only change into a shirt and pants at the airport carpark so I wouldn't look like I walked out of a sauna. Blue shirt, gold tie, Bage pants, black shoes.

Arrive 30 minutes early, so they send us out to scope out their stores. 25 minutes later, in a training room with 10 other potential recuits. 2 people never turned up. They give up a run down of the company and what they are looking for. I feel like the guy from Crank. I am living only because of adrenalin.

We then start the first exercise. 3 questions. 1 What product would you be if you were a product and why. 2 How would you sell yourself. 3 What does customer service mean to you. I get an appulas for my presentation of my answers and hopefully started a new tradition of standing up to make a speech. the fact that people sit down to give some thing that is speech like was what suprised me.

Then group exercise. Got given a product and in seperate groups, analysise the product. We got chanel No 5. I think I came off too strong in my presentation as I over shadowed my team mates too much.

Then to the lions den. They start picking us off. Quickly and randomly dragged off to one of their stores and dumped us with a mear minute to look over the store. Boss man comes back in a customer. A New York 5 minuites later I nail him for 100 bucks. He tells I have nailed all the bases, but he said I could have twisted his arm a little. I replied, I rather not, but thanks.

One on One interview. A couple of free questions and then on to scripted questions. Worse question ever. What are your pay expectations.

Back to the sheep pen to fill out a folder full of paper work which includes a head check. i must have come off as a Shiczo or something. My answers were every where and general contradictionary. Some maths questions later, which for some reason the others needs calculators for...

Then we get told the big bomb shell. We will be short listed again for a second interview. The fight has only began.

Got paid for parking. Because I came in early I was 3 bucks short. In return I got a Redbull from a chcik with a stop sign outside the parking lot. By that time I had become asexual. Colapsed back at home.

Now I am thinking what the hell did I get myself into.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 02:48:21 PM »
Wow. That is intense.. how long did that take in total?
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 03:18:17 PM »
Friggin' VIsta. That's my job problem right there. Friggin Vista...

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 03:32:56 PM »
It was planned out for 2 hours. I worked out to about 2 and a half hours because of the extra paper work at the end. Jack Bauer couldn't have gotten much more information out of me.

We did have some drinks on hand. I only drank the water spiked with lemon. The other choices would have set me off like TNT.

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2007, 03:48:54 PM »
I just got a new job after being a store manager at gamestop for like, too long. cause that's not a job for a college student. my new job is as a dental technician. Problem is I have to learn stuff before I can do the job, so I'm in these classes that would put Ben Stein to sleep. Ira (the teacher) hates his life and takes it out on me and the three other trainees. still though, I'd rather be doing this 20 hours a day than spend another minute at gamestop.
also, is it wrong that I love the fact that since I left the store has been a disaster.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 03:51:33 PM »
Nope, Gamestop can go suck an egg... =)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2007, 03:59:42 PM »
I should've left when I went from minimum wage employee in my first year of college to store manager in like, 4 months. I got a promotion per month. and then I stayed there working around my school schedule mostly. I was the youngest guy on the staff being everyone's boss. that's stupid. three years later after all the BS rules and stupid policies and upper management losing their damn minds I just up and left. I had two ASMs, both with store manager experience, and neither of them were promoted. Instead they hired some punk who's been with the company for less than a month and he's the horror story you hear on the internet. He's that guy that ask you to reserve a game 40 times, sells used games as new, doesn't check any used games to see if they're all scratched up and sell it to you regardless, lie to you about what you're buying, sneak a reserve on your transaction you didn't pay for, and cheat the system to get subscriptions out of you kind of jackass. So my favorite asm quit and the other asm quit. my third key moved to a different store and all my game advisors found better jobs. and now the store can't do anything and always looks a mess.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2007, 04:01:00 PM »
What probelms were having over at Gamestop/EB? Clarify Disaster.

I left Uni because every one of my teachers were Iras. I did sleep during class.

So what does a dental Tech do?

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2007, 05:07:15 PM »
I maeks teeth. I make molds and thing. and also I make tips and parts of teeth for dentists. like, say you needed some teeth. your dentist would give us a holla and we'd cook you up some teeth and give it to your dentist and he'd give you your teeth so you could eat real foods again.

As sad as it seems, the thing that pushed me over the edge at gamestop was the fact that some games costs 26.99. A few months ago there was no such thing as a 26.99 game. if the game new costs 29.99 the used one would cost 24.99. Why on earth would anyone want a used game for $2 less than the brand new one? The price on a lot of used games are going up for absolutely no reason at all. Also they're putting pretty much all their focus on reservations and subscriptions and it kills customer service. And a lot of the policies we would have to follow are just plain dumb.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2007, 11:31:04 AM »
Yay, looks like I made it to ithe next cut. All set up for tomorrow. Will post after action report once operation is completed.

Will this be a bridge too far?

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2007, 12:07:19 PM »
I got a write up from my boss at the corporate site for having a messy office on the same day I learned he doesn't use underwaer. This statement is in fact true.
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2007, 06:40:26 PM »
Well, that second interview was dissapointing. I was expecting them to grill me a lot harder during that 30 minutes. Just some slightly more detailed questions retreading the same stuff they went over the last time.

Well, the next 48 hours will be telling. This is it. Down to yes or no.

Nile: I thought at most places, your "office" where ever that maybe is considered your space for most part. How messy was it? And our boss, yeah he has problems.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2007, 07:01:23 PM »
Good luck! Damn, it must be nerve-racking..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2007, 07:54:06 PM »
Not really. I am more annoyed than anything else. I was hoping they were going to take me up to the wall with some really hard questions. If it wasn't for the fact they wanted to read my body langauge, they could have done it over the phone.

Thanks for the luck IceCold. That might cancel out my one negative in all this. The fact that I will be using this job to get into pilot school, which goes against one thing they were looking for. They are looking for a career minded person. If I played it right it should work out something more like a neutral.

Now this is a game. STFU GTA.

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
RE: The Job Thread
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2007, 07:17:15 PM »
Easycure, what happened at the Nintendo store? Did they just need seasonal help or something?

Good luck oohhboy, I hope you've gotten good news by now

I'm currently in the throes of a job search. My wife and I moved out to California nearly two years ago so that she could go to school. Now she's graduating, and we're thinking about sticking around a couple more years for me to get some experience in the Bay Area. I'm applying at a publisher in San Francisco, so I've been rushing around like an idiot trying to get my portfolio done and a site built... Been at it for about two weeks now, and will be done by Tuesday (at least that's the plan). This project has kept me up till 2–3am nearly every night since I started it, having to get up at 7am every day for work at my current job. Needless to say, I'm beat. And what am I doing right now? I'm posting on a message board. Yeah, I'm dumb.

Anyways, wish me luck. I'll be keeping up on this thread to see how everyone else is doing
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
RE: The Job Thread
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2007, 12:37:49 PM »
Well, they said I should expect a reply in 2 days, it is now the 5th day. Now I am worried. I can't tell whether I am being impaitent or over thinking again. I am very tempted to harrase them on this, but I feel that it would be rude of me to do so. But I also feel that following up on this is important.

On an parralle note. I have recieved an e-mail from another job I am applying for to tell me that the short-listing process has been delayed. ?!?! Something that should have been done weeks ago.

If nothing else from all this, is that, I should be more paitent.

Yeah you dumb decoyman Good luck and keep us posted.