Author Topic: Mario Kart 7  (Read 36575 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Kart 7
« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2011, 06:36:14 PM »
I've played three GPs in 150cc and only been hit by one blue shell. Probably because I haven't spent all that much time in first place. I'm usually winning, but not by that much.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2011, 07:30:13 PM »
I'm talking about red shells, but I haven't completed cup in 150cc yet.

I did the 1st 2 races in Mushroom cup before something made me put the 3DS down.
I'm gonna go back in try it again in a little bit.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Re: Mario 3D Kart
« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2011, 08:24:13 PM »
As far as the main game goes I am pretty pleased with the Red Shells and Blue Shells, at least so far. I have gotten triple star in all classes for all cups. Usually in 150cc I get hit with at least 1 blue shell per match, rarely more than that. Though often at least 1 pr 2 lightnings. I wasn't able to play much Wii, but Double Dash I would occasionaly get hit with 2 blue shells back to back, before I could start driving after the first the 2nd is already hitting me while everyone else is passing me up. Could not stand double dash.

When I play I always hold my current item until I get to the item blocks just in case of Red Shells. Or if I am very far behind with a star or lighting I gradually pass many racers up then use it for great affect. That strategy has done me very well. Now all I need to complete is mirror.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 10, 2011, 08:37:36 PM »
In the few races I've done on 150cc all is pretty good until the 3rd lap, that's when all hell seems to break loose. I usually get tripped up pretty hard within sight of the finish line to end up in 5th or 6th place when I've been leading almost the entire race.

Blue shells, flying red shells and green shells out of nowhere.

I've thrown a green shell that was dead on target for Donkey Kong, and it disintegrated just before reaching him as if it hit something, but there was nothing there and he had no item. I just think this game doesn't like me.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 10, 2011, 10:57:59 PM »
Edit:

Nah!

RomanceDawn

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 11, 2011, 09:45:02 PM »
So what is the secret of the 3rd star in a race?
Is it collecting 10 coins? Because I just ran a perfect flower cup in 150cc and all they gave me was 2 stars. I can only assume it's because on average I only had about 5 stars per track.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 12, 2011, 02:25:27 AM »
So what is the secret of the 3rd star in a race?
Is it collecting 10 coins? Because I just ran a perfect flower cup in 150cc and all they gave me was 2 stars. I can only assume it's because on average I only had about 5 stars per track.

I just got 3 stars in everything, which wasnt nearly as bad as Mario Kart DS, and the item flying so much more bearable than DD.

I never noticed if 10 coins meant anything beyond speed. I know I have finished races with less, but not sure if there is a hidden total that counts towards your stars. Basically race super well, if you fall off the track from your own doing you might as well start over, but if lightning or any item shot from an enemy causes you to fall of a track and you get picked up by Lakitu that's ok. Use the short cuts, and boost often with the drift. Always always get 1st place as well.

There were a few moments where I could not begin to wonder why I didn't get 3 stars. My only guess is maybe in a race I didn't get at least 10 coins and/or I didn't use the majority of the track like the hidden paths. Getting knocked around by enemy items doesn't mean anything as long as you handle it well.

RomanceDawn

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2011, 09:52:21 AM »
I noticed that when a character has an item in reserve it shows them as having no item. This can fool one into thinking there are no weapons lurking on the track. It really sucks that you can't look behind.
Does anyone know the deal with SpotPass Miis showing up in Grand Prix races? Sometimes it happens and sometimes it don't.
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2011, 02:26:06 PM »
I am in love with this game, even so much to go as far as to say its the best one yet IMO.  Although I never played the Cube or Wii versions lol.  The online aspects to this game are addicting.  Every time I open the game, I have at least 5 ghosts to race.  I've been checking everynight to see if I catch anyone in the NWR communities but alas, nothing so far. 
A couple things I'll like to note though are that the Waluigi Pinball stage is Fing sweet in 3d.  Also, I can't remember the name of it, but there is one stage that is on a snowy slope that just screams for Nintendo to release another 1080 snowboarding for the 3ds.  This is the first game that has really sold me on the 3d affect enhancing my enjoyment of the gameplay.  I can only imagine going down a slope in 3d, but that's a whole nother subject in itself. 

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 13, 2011, 02:31:56 PM »
You know what would be nice, is if I could wait in the lobby and do 1player GrandPrix at the same time.

That way as long as I checked into the community first before playing my solo game, someone can always catch me in the lobby and we can start playing together. But I guess that won't happen until after the community feature is updated at an OS level.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 14, 2011, 02:05:34 PM »
Should we have a thread for some Mario Kart 7 Post Match Conquest Consortium?
(I'd create a thread, but the forum is reeeeeallly slow right now.)

I was trying to get all the phrases from the community chat into the funhouse thread when Chiramii showed up and schooled my ass at some balloon battle. 4 matches and then I had a communication error and couldn't get back into the online.

So if you're out there Chiramii, I'll be doing my homework so that next time there is a pop quiz, hopefully I'll be ready.

---------------------

Just got my ass handed to me by Ohhboy just now too.... but in my defense, it times out on me and selected a new cart configuration... so I was getting used to new handling on my kart.... especially during the second circuit when I just unlocked a new frame. tried to rush select, but only ended up picking something completely random.
But you don't want to know all the random things that happen to me during the races... like blowing myself up with  my own bomb or slipping on my own banana (not sure how the 2nd one happened, but the 1st was pretty funny/frustrating)

---------------------

And then just my f#(%in' luck, I join a game with The Perm and I get 1st place and then by some sort of divine intervention there is a communication error and everyone is offline.... I just can't catch a break can I?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 04:23:31 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 14, 2011, 02:56:37 PM »
Sorry if I was a bit rough on you BlacknMild. I haven't actually played GP online besides the ghosts and I thought something was wrong since they were all like 20-30 seconds behind me. You got me good on that cruise ship track though. The racing lines on that track are awful beyond belief, neutering my strength considerably. You really earned that finish. I have to laugh a little, I never won a single coin toss in both GPs.  :cool;

Has anyone been able to find what port numbers the 3DS and MK7 uses? I can DMZ the 3DS, but it's buggy and it doesn't work more often than not. Google has found nothing so far and I can't forward all the ports (1-65535) because of the modem's quirks (And it's a stupid blunt way to do things).
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 17, 2011, 02:15:36 PM »
Someone get online in the NWR GP community. Just waiting around randomly for folks.

There are 2 of us waiting now. Just join in someone, I know you're there!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 02:18:16 PM by Caterkiller »

RomanceDawn

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 18, 2011, 12:29:59 AM »
So I finally finished all the circuits but sh*t is it hard to get the full 3 stars.  I've managed to bag them all on the 50 class.  On the 100, I managed to get it on all but 2 or 3 I think.  Once I hit the 150 and beyond, the best I've received is 2 stars on some of the cups. 

I've also been passing the time by tackling all the ghosts I've collected through spotpass and let me tell you, that is a sobering process.  After completing all the cups in all the divisions, I thought I was Mr hot stuff, hopping around the tracks with the highest of precisions.  I felt unstopable lol.  I tried a handfull of the top ghosts (always from some Japanese player it seems lol) and I was left severely dusted.  I don't know if its just that I don't have all the right gear open yet but I can't see how these people are getting these times.  I know I don't hit all the shortcuts all the time but even on the stages where I do, they are still way beyond my reach.  Has anyone else experienced this? 

One thing I did notice though that I never knew about is that I think every Mii I've raced against online has shown up in my Plaza.  I stopped by the plaza the other day to see if I've found anyone new on streetpass (which at the time I had only 6 hits) and found my plaza filled up into the high 60s.  I got so excited thinking finally I can get a little farther in the Save Mii game but just my luck, you can't take any of these Mii's into that game.  At this rate, I don't think my Mii will ever get saved lol. 

Anyways, back to Mario Kart.  I've been thinking of starting up a community for just strictly racing, no items (maybe bananas though lol) to really emphasize the driver's skills in a race.  Would anyone on here be interested in participating?  If there are, I'll be sure to create it and post it on here.  I'm dieing for some online racing but would prefer to keep it towards my fellow members here and not the masses lol. 

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 18, 2011, 03:56:49 AM »
I have no idea where they are getting all the extra speed from.

Go pick Rainbow Road SNES (1.22.683). Even coming off the line they are faster than you, dumping mushrooms don't help since even on the straights they have a lot of unexplained speed. If you max out top speed they are still faster. The only time you can get remotely that fast is if you get 10 coins, but you can't get 10 coins in one lap let at the start of the race. The top guy has nearly 10 seconds on me @ 1.15.220 and I know I can get a second cutting corners better and nailing more speed bumps, but the very top guys are fishy as hell. They also take lines that as far as I have tried are impossible to drive even with the same gear. With all most every other ghost, I can replicate the lines fairly closely if not quite perfect with time differences caused by minor variations in the ghost data since they can't be perfectly accurate. Unfortunately you can't follow ghosts in spectator view which means once they pull away from you, you can't learn anything else.

The real time you should be aiming for are the developer times (Rainbow Road SNES 1.21.994). If you can get within a couple of seconds to them, you will be well a head of the pack. Those times you can trust. Anything beyond that take with increasing suspicion.

Do remember what is good for a time trial will get you wasted in a GP and vice versa.

An item less race would be really dull and creates more problems than it solves. There would be no skillful way to catch up without items and secondly, the game doesn't support enough laps to differentiate between skill and luck or to catch up. Having a large number of laps help smooth out variations to produce an average which better determines a winner. If you want pure racing, stick with time trial.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 18, 2011, 03:59:19 AM »
If you set up a race as "shells only" does that include blue shells?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 20, 2011, 09:01:03 PM »

Not sure, have not played that yet.

Anyone just browsing the forums, turn on Mario Kart now and lets race!

So I figured out how some people drive so darn fast right off the bat. Like Diddy Kong racing there are 2 boosts, a good one and a better one! "press and hold accelerate just as the 2 stops spinning." according to one website. I've noticed differences in my boost. Also it seems that the default glider is crappy compared to all the rest since it has less acceleration, but it has more weight which increases top speed.

Just sitting online waiting for folks in Gran Prix.

RomanceDawn

Offline TheFleece

• View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #92 on: December 20, 2011, 09:21:03 PM »

Not sure, have not played that yet.

Anyone just browsing the forums, turn on Mario Kart now and lets race!

So I figured out how some people drive so darn fast right off the bat. Like Diddy Kong racing there are 2 boosts, a good one and a better one! "press and hold accelerate just as the 2 stops spinning." according to one website. I've noticed differences in my boost. Also it seems that the default glider is crappy compared to all the rest since it has less acceleration, but it has more weight which increases top speed.

Just sitting online waiting for folks in Gran Prix.

Challenge Met!! Anyone else around should join us in a Grand Prix.
Handhelds at Heart
---

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 20, 2011, 09:38:33 PM »
Come one people join in the GP! waiting on more people.

RomanceDawn

Offline TheFleece

• View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #94 on: December 20, 2011, 09:59:23 PM »
We did three GPs. I won one, Caterkiller won one and we had one that resulted in a tie. I'm done for now, but since I'm sick at home I'm down to race anytime these next couple of days.
Handhelds at Heart
---

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 21, 2011, 12:03:42 AM »
Haha, finally beat a developer time on Mushroom Gorge @ 1:48.264. Ret*Jay from retro @ 1:50.526. The top guy is davide from Italy for a change @1:43.750. However unlike most other top times, there is no mystery as to how he has done it nor is there some weird BS going on. I wouldn't mind gaining another 2 seconds, but I don't think I will get within 2 seconds of that time without breaking my hands. Even better is now I know a new trick I can use on other tracks.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 21, 2011, 01:37:26 AM »
Oohhboy have you noticed any cheating in any of the time trials? Cause I try my hardest to get near those ghosts with the same custom set up and I just get dusted.

RomanceDawn

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 21, 2011, 02:15:13 AM »
Yeah, there are some very suspect ghosts that get extra speed out of thin air, take impossible lines while power sliding. Go have a look on the "flat" tracks like Rainbow Road SNES. The top ghost (NOBU) not only comes off the line faster no matter what you do or how you're kitted out, but on the first corner he does an impossible power slide down a line that should have sent him right off the road. On the straights, even at max speed after a boost to get you there, he is still faster than you without reason. I suspect the data got modified after being made since I doubt the Nintendo placed any real security measures on the ghost data.

The ghost data aren't "perfect" recordings of a race, but if they are legit recordings, they must be replicatable and even on cursory examination obey the games laws of physics. When you can't even match them on the first lap, yeah, something stinks. That's why I use the developer times as benchmarks. If there are tricks to be had, they would know them most of the time and if you must trust anybody, the developers are your best shot.

On some maps there are exploits. The first one to pop up is on the Wuhu Loop that got posted somewhere. With a mushroom you charge off into the void after the big turn with the mud patches. The computer flips out and dumps you 20 seconds down the track.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 21, 2011, 12:16:29 PM »
I'm glad you said that, cause I have been torturing myself trying to beat some of the top ghosts. I make sure I get the longer boost and the same set up and you are right I just can't pass em up.

Same with Maka Wuhu, can't wait til Nintendo fixes that. I get online and people just dive off the side right from the get go. I refuse to win like that. But when people just pick that stage over and over I just quit.

RomanceDawn

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 21, 2011, 12:24:12 PM »
I just wanna say that Caterkiller has shown me his superior karting skills in person on his couch the other day. I have much to learn... But i haven't even finished doing 150cc yet.

I just did a few time trials yesterday on the way to Disneyland, and realized that I need to find more shortcuts and experiment with kart customizations, but I'm glad it wasn't just me that was getting smoked off the line even when I got a starter boost.