Author Topic: Mario Kart 7  (Read 36569 times)

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Mario 3D Kart
« Reply #100 on: December 21, 2011, 12:51:28 PM »
I managed to participate in some races last night but have no idea who I was actually racing lol.  Had to be someone on here though if their racing in our official leagues.  We were plagued by back connections though and only managed 2 races I believe. 

As for the ghosts, they def are cheats and hacks going on there.  The top times are totally unrealistic.  I run a perfect race and I'm still off by 10 or more seconds.  Now I know I haven't unlocked all the karts and options yet but they can't provide that much of an improvement over my current setups.  I don't even know how some of these people have unlocked everything.  I think after you've collected 5000 coins is when you finally have everything and I'm only at 1400 or so right now.  Its going to take me forever to reach 5000.  Don't even get me started on trying to get full 3 stars on all the cups.  That almost seems impossible at times with how cheep the AI can be at times.  It basically comes down to a high level of skill and a good amount of luck to pull it off I believe. 

I'm realling loving the online racing but can only stomach racing in the NWR communities.  Every time I try and race in the wide world mode or in some of the other recommended communities, it seems like cheaters are running rampant.  All I usually see is karts zig zagging all over the track at high speeds, even on damn straight aways.  Other times I'll see someone get hit by an a red shell then in a split second reapear ahead of the point of impact at a decent speed again.  There was even one race where someone went right through a wall and cut through half of the track, I can't remember if that was the Waku Maku or the Mountain track.  I know its the one where you race up the mountain and then fly down to the finish line at the end.  Anyways, sh*ts ridiculous.  Hopefully I can find more of you people on so I can have some legitimate races.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 21, 2011, 02:38:57 PM »
Hey Manny that was me you raced. Considering the error we had you might be just be viewing the lag that comes from online, as far as people just zig zaging across the screen like crazy, chances are no one is really doing that. When I have a really good connection I rarely notice that. The farther away I get the more things seem to just go nuts.

Hey could you see my name? It was a Mii with an afro named Matty. Apparently Caterkiller wont show up, so I just changed it to my real name.

I beat every cub in all CCs and got the triple star rating. When you learn how to race really well and know how to juggle items i've found that even blue shells have a hard time keeping me back. Basically I say play as many 150 cc cups as you can, and when you get really comfortable and aggressive that's when you head back online.

Edit:
BlackNMild is cool guy in person! The kinda guy you just want to hang out and have a beer with. In my case a straw berry lemonade.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Mannypon

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 21, 2011, 02:47:24 PM »
Yeah, I remember that name, was it a red fro? lol.  I still have a hard time getting the 3 stars in anything above the 100 class.  Specially in the 150 and mirror classes, I think my racing skills are on point as I can skip and hop around any bend but I go crazy when I start getting smashed by various items.  Its nuts when you get shrunk and lose your coins then start to gather them all again to just be smacked by a blue shell.  I'm under the assumption though that to get 3 stars you need to finish in first place in every race with a total of 10 coins collected in each though.  I'm not sure how accurate I am in that assumption. 

Also, when did you meet our resident sleuth in person? lol

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 21, 2011, 03:44:39 PM »
How is your power sliding? It can get you so far ahead as well as clever item management.

Also he dropped by my place on monday. Lots of laughs playing Donkey Kong Country Returns.

RomanceDawn

Offline Mannypon

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 21, 2011, 04:42:01 PM »
Its good to see such a community forming here, its what really sets this place apart from the much bigger sites like ign and the like.  The family atmosphere is what always keeps me checking in even if I don't have time to post.  Your night reminds me of my old mario party/tennis/golf nights.  Those games were the ultimate multiplayer titles. 

As for mario kart, I like to think my power slide is on point, I don't have any prob linking back to back slides.  The items are what get me though.  I can deal with some by dragging bananas our a shell behind me but the more devastating items can still be a problem.  I heard you can beat a blue shell though if you time a mushroom speed burst right at the point of impact but I haven't been in that situation yet to test it. 

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Kart 7
« Reply #105 on: December 21, 2011, 05:46:28 PM »
Was playing this online 15 minutes ago and spotted someone cheating on the track 'Wuhu Mountain Loop'. Don't know if this has been mentioned on the forums yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ytl_jBOg8LI
Ugh, this kind of thing plagued a few tracks in Mario Kart Wii. I was hoping that Nintendo would improve whatever sort of invisible checkpoint system that they use, but it looks like it isn't much better.

So I figured out how some people drive so darn fast right off the bat. Like Diddy Kong racing there are 2 boosts, a good one and a better one! "press and hold accelerate just as the 2 stops spinning." according to one website.
Actually it was like this in Mario Kart Wii too, there are actually three levels of starting boost in that game.

Offline Mannypon

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 22, 2011, 07:58:49 PM »
I'll be on an off from now till 11 if anyone wants to race.  Hopefully I'll see you online :). lol

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #107 on: December 22, 2011, 09:54:28 PM »
We're currently waiting for more players right now in the GP Room!

It's just oohhboy and me racing if anyone wants to join in.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 10:51:23 PM by TheFleece »
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 22, 2011, 11:15:31 PM »
WTF happened during Melody Highway. I was racing normally then suddenly your infront of me facing the wrong way, nailed me then teleported off. Must have been a near complete breakdown on that first race since you were flipping out diving into holes, teleporting everywhere. I couldn't get a clean shot since you wouldn't appear until you got real close, even then it was a crap shot.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #109 on: December 22, 2011, 11:19:00 PM »
WTF happened during Melody Highway. I was racing normally then suddenly your infront of me facing the wrong way, nailed me then teleported off. Must have been a near complete breakdown on that first race since you were flipping out diving into holes, teleporting everywhere. I couldn't get a clean shot since you wouldn't appear until you got real close, even then it was a crap shot.

In Melody Highway I drifted a lot. I don't remember facing the wrong way or anything, but it was probably a lag in the system. You really got me in the last round! I think I just got over confident.
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 22, 2011, 11:31:48 PM »
Nah, I was doing bad because I have raced too many ghosts. Time Trials and GP are two different beasts. That last race was me coming out of the readjustment period. I was using items poorly during most of the races.

On Melody, I came off the line like normal, but you didn't move. You vanished before reappearing a lap later in fornt of me facing the wrong way. I barely used the items that race since I had no idea where you were. You literally made no sense during that entire race.

Something similar happened on the first race at Koopa castle with 4 players. Racing along in first then the next thing I know, you crossed the line and I was second. There must be some sort of sync issue with those first races since a lot of the time during those races, what I see doesn't reflect whats actually happening.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 23, 2011, 02:33:52 AM »
I don't have much time to explain. But the ultra fast times in TT are doable! It's all in how you power slide. I just figured it out. I can't really explain it yet but that ultra fast time in the first stage from that warily guy isn't haxed.

RomanceDawn

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 26, 2011, 01:39:39 PM »
I was fortunate enough to receive Mario Kart Seven yesterday. Don't have much time to talk, but what I will say is that I think the track design is excellent. Juxtaposed with the retro tracks, you realise that the new courses have many more split paths and shortcuts (although I'm not convinced that some of these secluded routes are actually quicker). Not to put down the retro cups, which are nicely put together. It's great that Retro Studios took the liberty to change a few things for the better - I swear the Bullet Bills in DS Airship Fortress move way faster than in MKDS.

Also played a smattering of online races. Coincidentally, as I jumped into a random Worldwide lobby, it just so happened that the one and only Greg Leahy was already there. I reckon I fared decently, always finishing in the top 3. Greg was the dominant competitor, though from the ratings, he had clearly put in a lot more time than everyone else in the party. Good fun, it was.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Mannypon

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 29, 2011, 12:18:39 AM »
Finally got my first Mario Kart streetpass :) Great Success!!!!.  I love the custom gp along with the individual ghosts and the possibilities of challenging said person to a race once you get online.  Seeing what Nintendo has done with Street and Spotpass in this game has really got me excited for what could be in store for Animal Crossing.  That's for another thread though so I'll leave it at that.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 29, 2011, 04:28:15 PM »
Can anyone tell me if they see the name Wushu*Matt in any of the ghost data rankings? I have some killer times I want to see if any of you can beat in time trial. But most importantly I hope my name isnt a bunch of question marks.

RomanceDawn

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #115 on: January 08, 2012, 11:55:28 PM »
So any plans for a new Wi-Fi night? It's been about a month since the last one.  :D
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 09, 2012, 12:04:10 AM »
Oh right, I was going to do that. With all my many duties as Community Manager* I completely forgot about it. I'll put together something soon, probably not for this weekend but the one after.

*(at this point, this is literally the only thing I do in that capacity)
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 28, 2012, 06:18:57 PM »
If you are browsing the forums right now, I got a couple people in the Grand Prix community join in now!

Got 3 of us now, going to wait about another few minutes just come on in!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 06:21:36 PM by Caterkiller »

RomanceDawn

Offline bhurak

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 28, 2012, 08:59:12 PM »
Fun!

2 out of three against Yoshidious!  (just beginners luck I'm sure)

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 11, 2012, 12:43:51 AM »
Yuck. I tried playing with a bunch of randoms and the game is completely unenjoyable. Lag and it's really poor handling just keeps fucking you over if you don't get fucked over by everyone else. This is especially bad when the game "Compensates" and start moving players to their last true reported position. It does it by arbitrarily shifting the player from where they are now to where they are, ignoring newton physics, while applying it to you. It means when it does one of these shifts, it will more than happy plow another player through you, hitting you like a truck enhanced by unnatural amount of velocity making you fly off out of control even bouncing off a wall before going off track with no way to recover.

That's not mentioning hitting another guy with spinning shells multiple time to no effect. Teleporting shells, teleporting players, lack of proper invincibility frames. One sided physics. Random drift boosts with no indication you're drifting causing unwanted speed boosts sending you over the edge.

I am completely soured on MK7 online outside of friends games.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 11, 2012, 03:54:32 PM »
Wow, I occasionally have lag spikes, but man you just have bad luck. My online sessions are usually super smooth.

RomanceDawn

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 19, 2012, 12:16:19 AM »
I'm not really enjoying MK7 all that much anymore. The items and cheapness of the game AI in the 150cc racing simply is not fun. It's frustrating and the game actually manages to make me angry. I feel like I've wasted time, every time I end up being hit on the last lap just to lose even after I've managed to be able to deal with the game AI during the entire race. That has nothing to do with skill or gameplay. I'm really sick of it. What's worse is that is where all the unlockables seem to be. I don't find it fun to play a game (anymore at this point) where the game seems to actively try to screw you over instead of trying to provide an honest challenge. There is a difference.

It's really to point where I'll be taking a pass the next entry in the series and possibly for the foreseeable future. I liked MKWii but it didn't seem this unfair or purposefully frustrating. Maybe the series is simply no longer for me. Out of the racers on the 3DS I've played (Ridge Racer and Mario 3D Kart) Ridge Racer has been a far more enjoyable experience.  I'll keep my copy I guess and perhaps do some battle mode online from time to time. That and the time trials are the only modes that don't frustrate me. I don't care about the regular racing (offline or online) aspect of the game anymore.