Author Topic: Come next January, I'll be DS Developer  (Read 2124 times)

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
Come next January, I'll be DS Developer
« on: November 06, 2010, 06:58:00 AM »
I'm going to be working with a DS devkit for about 14 weeks. So if you have any interesting questions for me to ask and find out about I'll see what I can.

One interesting thing I know about the DS is that it has no FPU (Floating Point Unit). Which means basically it has no hardware level understanding of decimal point numbers, such as 1.5. It only understand the 1. However, there are software ways around this.

Anyway, just thought ya'll would like to know.  Later I should be working on the Wii. Can't wait to try to figure out how TEV works and how hard it is to work with :P
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Re: Come next January, I'll be DS Developer
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 09:19:14 AM »
DS Dev kit... three weeks before the 3DS is released?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 11:32:46 AM »

High-quality NES games were coming out (from Nintendo, even) over three years after the NES' release.  The PS2 saw some notable releases two years after the PS3's launch.  It's not optimal, but it's workable.  In any case, good luck DAaaMan!

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 01:42:10 PM »

LOL yeah. But thats the way it goes.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 01:32:34 PM »
One interesting thing I know about the DS is that it has no FPU (Floating Point Unit). Which means basically it has no hardware level understanding of decimal point numbers, such as 1.5. It only understand the 1. However, there are software ways around this.

As a programmer that seems very weird.  But I work with financial software and such where decimals are absolutely essential.  But with a game, yeah, that probably is not as essential.  Still instinctively seems weird, though.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 01:47:31 PM »
Old computers didn't have FPUs and could calculate floating point numbers anyway. IIRC FPUs are physically very large so small embedded CPUs tend to omit them.