Author Topic: Goldeneye Wii  (Read 100235 times)

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
Re: Goldeneye Wii
« Reply #225 on: November 12, 2010, 03:14:52 AM »
Huzzah! Just got GoldenEye this morning for my birthday. Haven't had time to put it in yet, but rest assured, I'll be sticking my Friend Code in the appropriate thread later.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 12, 2010, 02:22:10 PM »
Is it just me or are shotguns overpowered? I've been getting one shot kills at pretty long distances with the SEG550, pretty much at any range that happens in Facility.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 12, 2010, 03:03:05 PM »
I didn't like blond bond at first, but after this I think I can appreciate his movies more. Really enjoying this game, will be joining you guys online soon. Or did everyone leave to COD already?
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 12, 2010, 03:06:13 PM »
Nah, CoD costs more and is the same game so why waste money on it.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 12, 2010, 03:44:53 PM »
I didn't like blond bond at first, but after this I think I can appreciate his movies more.

How does that make sense? He's just a transplant for Pierce Brosnan in the game...

Daniel Craig would look more convincing in an SS officer's uniform than as James Bond. :P
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 13, 2010, 04:00:53 AM »
I went back and finished-up my 007 Agent run through Goldeneye tonight, and man I had forgotten how much I hate the last two levels of this game.  The second-to-last level (especially on the hardest difficulty levels) is full of obnoxious rocket troopers and just drags on, while the last level contains all of my favorite things in a game: a section where you have to defend an NPC against waves of goons; a timed section; and a fight with a boss who spends the entire fight hiding while sending wave after wave of goons at you that like to throw grenades.  It was aggravating, but I completed it, and that will probably be the end of my time with the Goldeneye Singleplayer.  The last group of missions was hard enough as it was with regenerating health, so I think I'll pass on doing 007 Classic w/ Time Trials.

Fun game, though a bit of a missed opportunity to really expand the level design on the higher difficulties with new objectives.  I guess I'll have to wait for Timesplitters 4...oh wait, Timesplitters 3 didn't do that, either, so no reason to believe the potential sequel would.   :-\
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 13, 2010, 12:57:20 PM »
I didn't like blond bond at first, but after this I think I can appreciate his movies more.

How does that make sense? He's just a transplant for Pierce Brosnan in the game...

Daniel Craig would look more convincing in an SS officer's uniform than as James Bond. :P

After Pierce I just could not see another man as Bond, seeing the blonds face in this game all the time has warmed me up to him.

RomanceDawn

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 13, 2010, 02:38:18 PM »
I cannot warm up to a man who's playing James Bond and cannot drive a stick shift.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 14, 2010, 01:39:03 AM »
I've tried playing MW2 after GoldenEye and it's just soooo slow and cluttered. The levels are full of details that make it hard to see enemies and turn it into a sniperfest. The simpler levels in GE make sure you can see people better even at a quarter of the resolution and have real battles.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 14, 2010, 02:50:21 AM »
I've tried playing MW2 after GoldenEye and it's just soooo slow and cluttered. The levels are full of details that make it hard to see enemies and turn it into a sniperfest. The simpler levels in GE make sure you can see people better even at a quarter of the resolution and have real battles.

You know, that's an interesting point. I can't think of a specific example but I know I've felt this way before in a game but never knew how to voice the issue. I have not played MW2 but would be caused because many of the colors are so similar?

Reminds of when I go the grocery store and I walk down an isle, the items can literaly confuse my eyes. Maybe something is wrong with me.

RomanceDawn

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 14, 2010, 04:23:56 AM »
No, I totally get what you mean, Caterkiller. The last time I played Call of Duty online was with the first Modern Warfare, and I remember thinking the maps just felt so unstructured and all over the place. My main problem was that Modern Warfare's online (and this very much stems from the overcomplicated map designs) is that there are hardly any actual firefights, like KDR said. I always seemed to be getting kills by shooting someone from the side or behind them. Equally, when I died, I usually got shot from an angle, before I even knew there was anybody there. It's because the way routes converge on a map means that at most given points, there's a dozen places that enemies could shoot you from. There needs to be some structure to multiplayer maps, and based on what I've seen of Goldeneye, which is not much mind you, it appears to do a much better job of it.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 14, 2010, 06:01:50 AM »
Also players are camouflaged and I'm pretty sure ther level designs are deliberately set up so that environmental features look like enemy players at a glance.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 14, 2010, 06:52:08 AM »
I like that about Modern Warfare. You can use cover to your advantage. Staying in well structured groups can help protect you from surprise rear and side assaults. It feels like a real fight in a real place. Much better than perfectly symmetrical arenas. Keeps you on your toes.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 14, 2010, 08:30:09 AM »
Also players are camouflaged and I'm pretty sure ther level designs are deliberately set up so that environmental features look like enemy players at a glance.

Two of the multiplayer maps in Black Ops are setup that way. Nuketown has dummies everywhere and Firing Range has human shaped targets everywhere, some that move.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 14, 2010, 09:10:34 AM »
Call of Duty isn't Quake, you're supposed to have hiding spots and a dozen places where you could hit someone from. It's a war-based game.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #240 on: November 14, 2010, 10:39:04 AM »
Call of Duty isn't Quake

God forbid it be a fun game! :P

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 14, 2010, 10:55:37 AM »
Well technically the Modern Warfare engine is based off of Quake 3's, I believe. Quake/Unreal Tournament are fun, but it's a different kind of fun. I kind of wish you could have the Unreal Tournament announcer in Call of Duty games. Now Goldeneye...I still need to play it. Hopefully soon.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 14, 2010, 12:26:16 PM »

Two of the multiplayer maps in Black Ops are setup that way. Nuketown has dummies everywhere and Firing Range has human shaped targets everywhere, some that move.

It's not that explicit in MW2 but I'm pretty certain the way some lights, wood panels, etc are arranged to look like somebody is standing there is deliberate.

Call of Duty isn't Quake, you're supposed to have hiding spots and a dozen places where you could hit someone from. It's a war-based game.

And less fun IMO. War is hell, GoldenEye is fun.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 14, 2010, 03:52:51 PM »
Well technically the Modern Warfare engine is based off of Quake 3's, I believe.

John Carmack is a god among programmers. The earlier versions of the IW engine were based off of the Q3A sourcecode. Only the very first Call of Duty ever really used a pure Q3A engine though. Of course at this point the Call of Duty games use an entirely proprietary engine.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 03:57:24 PM by Morari »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 14, 2010, 05:00:10 PM »
When you have a game as big as CoD you want everything in it to be proprietary. Less of the pie you have to share with other people.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 14, 2010, 05:21:35 PM »
No, I totally get what you mean, Caterkiller. The last time I played Call of Duty online was with the first Modern Warfare, and I remember thinking the maps just felt so unstructured and all over the place. My main problem was that Modern Warfare's online (and this very much stems from the overcomplicated map designs) is that there are hardly any actual firefights, like KDR said. I always seemed to be getting kills by shooting someone from the side or behind them. Equally, when I died, I usually got shot from an angle, before I even knew there was anybody there. It's because the way routes converge on a map means that at most given points, there's a dozen places that enemies could shoot you from. There needs to be some structure to multiplayer maps, and based on what I've seen of Goldeneye, which is not much mind you, it appears to do a much better job of it.
By mop, you figured out a way to explain how I feel as well. This is why Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were such good games to me, because I much prefer the "corridor" style of level design to the open worlds of games like Call of Duty and Halo. The Conduit had levels like that as well, which is why I like it better than Call of Duty, but because it is so light on features I ended up playing Modern Warfare more.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 14, 2010, 06:41:46 PM »
I just played online for the first time! Man I had a good time! Can't wait to join you guys!

I'm trying to follow everyone's conversations, so is this games multiplayer comparable to the latest COD?

RomanceDawn

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 14, 2010, 08:09:07 PM »
I just played online for the first time! Man I had a good time! Can't wait to join you guys!

I'm trying to follow everyone's conversations, so is this games multiplayer comparable to the latest COD?

Not even close to the options you have in Black Ops. This game is good for single player and local multiplayer where Black Ops just dominates it in the online options.
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #248 on: November 15, 2010, 12:09:04 PM »
Cater, you need to add your Goldeneye code to the Code Exchange thread.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 15, 2010, 12:17:47 PM »
I'm not adding my friend code to that because playing with Americans would just end up too laggy.

CoD has more options and a more evolved unlock structure but IMO the actual gameplay in GE is better.

Man, the SEGS 550 feels overpowered. I'm getting kills at ranges that should not work, hell, I sniped a dude from the catwalk on Outpost. That thing dominates every map except Memorial.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 01:22:34 PM by KDR_11k »