Author Topic: Dead Space Extraction  (Read 113009 times)

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Dead Space Extraction
« Reply #525 on: June 29, 2010, 11:49:55 AM »
DS: Excuse wasn't a game, it was laziness at it's finest. I try to pretend that this game didn't exist, and what's worse is that this game could've been a great third person shooter, but since third parties think we're stupid, we didn't get that.

When is EA due for another employee layoff bonanza?
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: June 29, 2010, 12:28:20 PM »

*struggles mightily to not ****-slap Peachy for that particular comment*

While I wouldn't call Extraction "one of my favorite Wii games", it was a fine rail shooter and an interesting spin on the rail shooter genre.  It just needed a lot more content and better bug fixing.  I look forward to maybe playing it again on my PS3 if I ever get a Move and the LE of Dead Space 2.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: June 29, 2010, 01:11:54 PM »
Oh I know you want to do it Brood. I made that comment for a reason. =)
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: October 24, 2010, 02:53:06 PM »
DS: Excuse wasn't a game, it was laziness at it's finest. I try to pretend that this game didn't exist, and what's worse is that this game could've been a great third person shooter, but since third parties think we're stupid, we didn't get that.

What? You suck.   I just beat this game and it was awesome. That was a fucked up ending.  It isn't worth full on 50 but its worth probably 30. It has some of the coolest weapons I've seen in a game in a long time.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: October 24, 2010, 09:23:11 PM »
As a game, it is pretty poorly designed. There is way too much downtime when all you do is watch what's happening, and even the actions you do get to perform are all pretty simple. As an interactive movie however, it's pretty good.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: October 25, 2010, 12:03:20 AM »
The battles were very repetitive and the developers should have added a few more battles to help even out that repetitivness. Overall, the game was good and satisfying in regards to action and visuals. It is ashame that this game sold so poorly, but I was hoping for a RE 4 clone.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #531 on: October 25, 2010, 05:37:55 AM »
Sounds like ya'll didn't finish the game. I'd likely agree if I had played only the first 2 hours, but the second half is all action and awesome weapons.

Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: October 25, 2010, 11:00:00 AM »
The battles were very repetitive and the developers should have added a few more battles to help even out that repetitivness.

How can adding more of the same thing cut down on repetitiveness?
is your sanity...

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #533 on: October 25, 2010, 11:03:27 AM »
My biggest problem with Extraction is that by the end of the game there isn't anything that can come close to touching you outside of the last boss battle.  You have an unlimited supply of Stasis, and all you have to do is Stasis + gunfire for every enemy in the game.  It leads to a spectacularly lame final level where all you do is fight off wave after wave of Necromorphs, and all you do is Stasis + gunfire them all.  It's not hard, it's not exciting, and it's pretty much not fun.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #534 on: October 25, 2010, 01:54:59 PM »
My biggest problem with Extraction is that by the end of the game there isn't anything that can come close to touching you outside of the last boss battle.  You have an unlimited supply of Stasis, and all you have to do is Stasis + gunfire for every enemy in the game.  It leads to a spectacularly lame final level where all you do is fight off wave after wave of Necromorphs, and all you do is Stasis + gunfire them all.  It's not hard, it's not exciting, and it's pretty much not fun.

Hmm yeah if you played the game that way that would be retarded. I basically never used stasis, so it wasn't a problem for me. But I can see that being one @_@

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: January 25, 2011, 06:01:19 PM »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #536 on: January 25, 2011, 06:06:59 PM »
GAZE UPON THE EVIDENCE OF OUR BETRAYAL

http://www.videogamer.com/videos/video_comparison_dead_space_extraction.html?type=hi

More interesting, though, is that EA announced today that there will be a piece of Dead Space 2 DLC featuring 2 levels staring characters from Dead Space Extraction that continue that game's story, played like a normal Dead Space game.

I picked up the PS3 version of the game today, so I have the HD version of Extraction.  I'll let you guys know how it plays on a DS3 since I don't have a Move.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: January 25, 2011, 06:24:49 PM »
It can play with Dual Analog?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #538 on: January 25, 2011, 06:26:29 PM »
It can play with Dual Analog?

Yes.  The game is Move-optional, probably because so few people have a Move controller and camera.  Interestingly enough, the DS2/PSN versions (it's up on PSN for $14.99 today, by the way) only requires the Move controller on its own.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 06:28:31 PM by broodwars »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: January 25, 2011, 08:44:01 PM »
Watching that comparison video, I'm surprised at how well the Wii version looks compared to the PS3 port. Of course that's only because it started on Wii (so in general it's not a "great" looking PS3 game), but it does have excellent visuals for the Wii.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: January 25, 2011, 09:14:15 PM »
I saw this video earlier and all I can say is they put minimal effort on the up port and that's the only reason they look so similar.
It looks like they redid the lighting engine and the game naturally benefits from a higher resolution so everything looks sharper. Other than that, it looks like the exact same textures. I hope they altelast addressed all the bugs that would in some places break the game.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #541 on: January 25, 2011, 09:26:01 PM »
I saw this video earlier and all I can say is they put minimal effort on the up port and that's the only reason they look so similar.
It looks like they redid the lighting engine and the game naturally benefits from a higher resolution so everything looks sharper. Other than that, it looks like the exact same textures. I hope they altelast addressed all the bugs that would in some places break the game.

I just played through the first stage of the PSN version, and yeah...it still looks very much like a Wii game.  It looks like a few textures may have been cleaned up here and there and the game overall looks cleaner than the version I played back on the Wii.  Still, Extraction was a good-looking Wii game, and this is a pretty good looking game on PSN (and it looks a lot better than the original when I played it on this TV).  As for how the game feels played with a Dualshock, yeah... :-\   The best thing I can say about these controls is that they are functional.  You can theoretically get through the game with this, but it is far from ideal.  The button mapping is formatted to more closely resemble those of Dead Spaces 1 and 2, and the reticule scrolls across the screen faster than I thought it would.  But there's no getting around the fact that this was made for a pointer device, and however fast the reticule is, it's just not fast or accurate enough (even with aim assist turned on) to work when you're swarmed by necromorphs.  And don't even try to get to the hard-to-grab items with the DS3: they were hard enough to nab with a Wiimote, and they're pretty impossible to grab in a split-second with a control stick unless you already know they're going to be there.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: January 25, 2011, 11:15:00 PM »
Ehh, it's a free game that comes with an apparently awesome game. I'm very tempted to buy Dead Space 2 even though I wasn't a terribly big fan of the first one (admittedly, I never finished it). Then again, I didn't particularly like Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, but I LOVED Uncharted 2.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #543 on: January 25, 2011, 11:22:21 PM »
Ehh, it's a free game that comes with an apparently awesome game. I'm very tempted to buy Dead Space 2 even though I wasn't a terribly big fan of the first one (admittedly, I never finished it). Then again, I didn't particularly like Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, but I LOVED Uncharted 2.

I'm about 3 chapters into Dead Space 2, and it is an awesome game.  But I can't recommend it if you didn't like the first one.  It's pretty much more of the first one, only with the intensity ratcheted up x10.  Necromorphs are much more aggressive now, and although you have more ways of dealing with them the game likes to throw a lot more of them at you a lot sooner than in the first game.  In fact, the opening tutorial chapter is pretty frickin cruel in terms of difficulty, largely because the game does not give you a weapon until late in chapter, forcing you to rely on unconventional means like kinesis and stasis.  I died often, and I Platinum-ed the first Dead Space.   :-\

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #544 on: January 30, 2011, 08:03:50 PM »
I picked up a Move bundle today, so I've been testing it out on the PS3 version of Extraction.  I've been through the first few levels, and so far I have to say the Move works excellently for this game, about as well as the Wiimote + Nunchuck did...with a few exceptions: first, you can't use the D-pad or the Analog Stick on the Nav controller to manually to select specific weapons like you could on the Wii version with the Nunchuk.  You can use the D-pad Left or Right buttons to cycle through your weapons, but it's much easier to just hit the Triangle button on the main Move controller.  Using Melee with the Circle button + shaking the Move controller is also pretty awkward, definitely not as nice as holding a button on the Nunchuk and shaking the nunchuk.

Overall, unsurprisingly if you're going to play the PS3 version of Extraction, Move support is kind of a must as we figured.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #545 on: February 05, 2011, 03:37:48 AM »
Dead Space 2 is amazing. I just borrowed my brother's Move today specifically to try Extraction with it. I'm not anticipating anything amazing, but Extraction was an excellent Wii game in the first place (remember my glowing review?) so I'm happy to re-live it.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: February 11, 2011, 02:52:32 PM »

I'm about 3 chapters into Dead Space 2, and it is an awesome game.  But I can't recommend it if you didn't like the first one.  It's pretty much more of the first one, only with the intensity ratcheted up x10.  Necromorphs are much more aggressive now, and although you have more ways of dealing with them the game likes to throw a lot more of them at you a lot sooner than in the first game.  In fact, the opening tutorial chapter is pretty frickin cruel in terms of difficulty, largely because the game does not give you a weapon until late in chapter, forcing you to rely on unconventional means like kinesis and stasis.  I died often, and I Platinum-ed the first Dead Space.   :-\
I'm through to chapter 4 and I've died a total of twice so far.  Did you run past everything in the beginning or actually try to fight it?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #547 on: February 11, 2011, 03:00:45 PM »
I'm through to chapter 4 and I've died a total of twice so far.  Did you run past everything in the beginning or actually try to fight it?

I died at the beginning of the game because I went the wrong direction and wasn't expecting the game to earnestly try to kill me in the first 30 seconds of the game.  I died later because I thought I could kill the stasis' necromorph without having to stasis it myself, and also right after they give you kinesis and have you wandering around in the dark with Necromorphs closing around you and I couldn't see the things I was supposed to kinesis.  I didn't die so much after I got stasis, though.  Few things in this game can withstand the holy might of Isaac's Fists of Justice while stasis-ed.   ;)

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: February 13, 2011, 02:28:17 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ptsk--A1rc&feature=relmfu

I just realized that there is a Dead Space game for IOS systems. After watching that video I feel kind of embarrassed that a handheld phone device and tablet have enough computing power to render a game such as and the Wii has to be a rail shooter. Why was this game not atleast put on the DSi? There had better be a Dead Space for the 3DS!
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #549 on: February 13, 2011, 11:13:05 AM »
The framerate of the game in the video seemed pretty jumpy. I wonder if its how it was recorded or if its how it really is. And phones have a smaller screen resolution than what the Wii has to worry about putting out. The number of people who are willing to upgrade their phone also allows the manufacturers to produce new models on a quicker timetable than consoles. Imagine if a new gaming console came out as often as a new phone.