Author Topic: Metroid Prime 3 Coming to a TV Near You  (Read 13538 times)

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
RE:Metroid Prime 3 Coming to a TV Near You
« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2007, 01:19:52 PM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix

Originally posted by: thatguy

Originally posted by: Mario
Metroid Pinball is a fantastic game the world would be worse off without, the end. And guys, the best way to deal with Ian is to ignore him, 1 Ian post is better than 5.

For the record, Ian's right a lot more than we give him credit for.  There's nothing wrong with having and sharing an opinion with others.

And what would he be right about?   Personally I think people find Ian's super negative outlook about Nintendo to get tiresome, everything Nintendo is doing is wrong. The Wii name was going to destroy them, the Wii was going to be a bomb, Nintendo doesn't know what they are doing, etc etc. Just like someone who is always positive or nearly so, someone that is always negative, never giving any credit where it is due, makes their opinion much harder to swallo.

Ian was right that hardcore gamers would become even more alienated with Nintendo's new strategies.  He was right that a whole lot that the Wii had to offer was minigames.  He's right that Nintendo needs to do something to shake the images it's made with longstanding gamers at this point in time.  He's said several times that Nintendo is the only viable option for this coming generation, too.  I mean, do you want an in-depth fifteen page report on Ian's posts?  He's an intelligent guy who has strong opinions.  We might disagree a lot of the time, but that doesn't mean his posts are invalid in any way.  Ian just cares about the industry and doesn't want another crash or anything destructive to happen to it, and he also cares about traditional gaming.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: Metroid Prime 3 Coming to a TV Near You
« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2007, 01:40:56 PM »
I think everyone is kind of sick of having to point out the ratio of "traditional games" to "casual mini-gamer games," and how this supposed focus to the non-gamer is over-exaggerated...

Super Mario Galaxy is focused on making controls more intuitive so more people will play...The same applies to Prime 3...Are you going to say that these are now suddenly non-games just because they try to pull everyone in?

Now let's look at the rest of the Wii games coming out this year...Battalion Wars II, Endless Ocean, Super Smash Brothers Brawl...So all in all I count FOUR traditional games to ONE non-gamer game...I can just smell the extreme focus on non-games!  The reason why there's a supposed "focus" on non-games is because Ninty knows they don't have to advertise for the traditional gamer...If they make awesome games then people will buy them...It's the non-gamer that needs to be thrown in the fold, and that's why there is so much media coverage of them, giving the illusion that there are more than there actually are...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2007, 01:51:19 PM »
Well, I'll be honest, I'm don't think it's Nintendo's fault.  All three systems have been in a drought, IMO, and Nintendo's been supplying just as many quality games as ever.  However, the third parties make me sick.  Several have decided to make Brain Age mimics for the DS and Wii that don't have the polish that Nintendo's products do.  The Wii was supposed to be the perfect console machine for an FPS, yet the 360 has seen more.  Why?

That's the problem.  Developers over stereotype Nintendo machines, and in return, the consumer does, too.  It's retarded.  I think Nintendo is giving us more great titles than ever.  It's the third parties that are lacking.  Nintendo shouldn't be supporting the system on their own, which is how this generation has practically started in comparison to the 360, Xbox, or PS2.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 27, 2007, 02:14:28 PM »
Nintendo has been supporting themselves since the N64 days

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 27, 2007, 02:17:19 PM »

Originally posted by: Mashiro
Nintendo has been supporting themselves since the N64 days

Nintendo also has been underselling its competitiors since the N64 days.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 27, 2007, 02:27:58 PM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix

Originally posted by: Mario
Metroid Pinball is a fantastic game the world would be worse off without, the end. And guys, the best way to deal with Ian is to ignore him, 1 Ian post is better than 5.

For the record, Ian's right a lot more than we give him credit for.  There's nothing wrong with having and sharing an opinion with others.

And what would he be right about?   Personally I think people find Ian's super negative outlook about Nintendo to get tiresome, everything Nintendo is doing is wrong. The Wii name was going to destroy them, the Wii was going to be a bomb, Nintendo doesn't know what they are doing, etc etc. Just like someone who is always positive or nearly so, someone that is always negative, never giving any credit where it is due, makes their opinion much harder to swallo.

Ian was right that hardcore gamers would become even more alienated with Nintendo's new strategies.  He was right that a whole lot that the Wii had to offer was minigames.  He's right that Nintendo needs to do something to shake the images it's made with longstanding gamers at this point in time.  He's said several times that Nintendo is the only viable option for this coming generation, too.  I mean, do you want an in-depth fifteen page report on Ian's posts?  He's an intelligent guy who has strong opinions.  We might disagree a lot of the time, but that doesn't mean his posts are invalid in any way.  Ian just cares about the industry and doesn't want another crash or anything destructive to happen to it, and he also cares about traditional gaming.

THe thing is that NIntendo has shaken their image for the most part, and yet Ian fails to admit that. The alienating of hardcore gamers is a load of crap to be honest, yes there are a few people here and elsewhere who don't like games like Wiisports but there are many of us that do. Let's see what Ian has been wrong about shall we?

-The Wii name was going to harm the Wii big time
-The Wii controller would hurt gaming
-Nintendo doesn't know how to market themselves and Blue Ocean would be a failure
-Whining and complaining about Wii controls before he even played it
-Doomsday is just around the corner for Wii
-Funny you bring up Ian not wanting another industry crash because that is an area he is wrong about, if it wasn't for the Wii and its "casual" lineup we may have very well seen a crash with the market get saturated with FPS and other so-called hardcore games. The gaming market was starting to shrink.
-Ian is constantly negative, never admitting that Nintendo has done many things right this time around and has never admitted he was wrong. That IMO is perhaps the most important thing.

This is my personal favorite quote from Ian about the Wii

Well the weak support issue still applies. Though often with the small things the screwup affects me so I express my displeasure in it. I mentioned I wrote an email to Nintendo about the first Cube demo disc. What pissed me off about it was that I personally could not obtain a copy "officially" because I already had a Cube and for some reason Nintendo decided that only new Cube owners should get the demo disc. A lot of the small screwups on the Cube directly affected Cube owners so it made sense to complain about them.

Thinking about the Rev now it's like this whole time I've been thinking "if I was in charge of NOA how would I salvage this?" First there's the non-gamer focus designed to address an issue in Japan that doesn't apply to North America, then there's the weird controller, then there's no HD, then there's the weak hardware specs, and now there's the worst name every used for a videogame system ever. There's just been so many huge "I don't know about that" stuff revealed about the Wii. There's been some great things too but there is way too much "iffy" stuff here.

Though I'm probably more interested in E3 now. The Rev has become so weird that I can't help but pay attention to it. It's like even if it totally crashes and burns it will interesting to watch in a car wreck sort of way.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 27, 2007, 06:02:42 PM »
So what, he's been wrong before.  I've been wrong several times.  You've been wrong, too.  He's right about the demo disc there.  I really wanted one.  Maybe it would have convinced me to try out Billy Hatcher.  As a current Cube owner, I had no way to own one, and that made me mad.  He was wrong about the middle stuff.  And let's see.  How many analysts predicted  further 3rd place Nintendo finishes.  Some still do.

Ian has admitted that Nintendo has done some things right.  He's said that he prefers things the Nintendo way by far over the other two.  Nintendo's certainly had a very poor advertising history, sending mixed messages as to who a game's intended audience is.  They've promoted the young people aspect, and until recently didn't include anyone that looked like an adult in their adds.  You've just picked on the guy so much that he's an automatic target now, just because you don't like his history, and that's not right.

Additionally, I think that had Nintendo failed at widespread market penetration this time, the crash would have occurred pretty soon.  But here's the thing.  I think a decent proportion of older Nintendo fans probably agreed.  And that's why the Wii was scary for some:  Had it crashed, what would have happened to video games?  I think, though I don't want to put words in his mouth, that his concerns often fell into this line.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 27, 2007, 06:21:19 PM »
The difference is that I"ve admitted I've been wrong, Ian doesn't, in fact he makes excuses over and over again about why he isn't (For example saying Blue Ocean is not a good strategy). Ian has constantly been negative, you would be hard pressed to find much positive he has to say about Nintendo, thankfully the majority of Nintendo fans have learned to accept and even embrace some gaming variety.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 27, 2007, 06:27:23 PM »
So?  You're not letting old things go.  That's just as bad as not admitting you're wrong.  When things come to pass, does it really matter who was wrong or who was right?  It only does if you dwell on it.  Why can't we just go on and let people give their opinions without the obscenely huge amounts of ridicule carrying over from thread to thread to thread.  Sure, if you disagree with something someone says on one issue, say something about it, but once you're out of the thread, what good does it do to carry that dispute over?  It's senseless and pointless, if you ask me.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 27, 2007, 06:35:10 PM »

So?  You're not letting old things go.  That's just as bad as not admitting you're wrong.  When things come to pass, does it really matter who was wrong or who was right?  It only does if you dwell on it.  Why can't we just go on and let people give their opinions without the obscenely huge amounts of ridicule carrying over from thread to thread to thread.  Sure, if you disagree with something someone says on one issue, say something about it, but once you're out of the thread, what good does it do to carry that dispute over?  It's senseless and pointless, if you ask me.

It is hard to ignore where it is the same complaining and the person doesn't have the guts to admit when they are wrong. Ian is still doing the same things today so it isn't like it is only in the past. You want the truth? I do respect Ian, but I have trouble taking many of his opinions seriously because he never faces up to them. It is like these goofy end of the world nuts, and when the world doesn't end within their time frame you don't hear anything about it, and or they make another end of the world prediction.

At least to Ian's credit, he isn't having his followers drink poisoned kool aid to go to the heavenly body that holds all things pure and true about traditional gaming. Regardless we all need a forum whipping boy and Ian is that person, with Pittbboi as only the part time whipping boy. If we didn't have them, we'd have to pick on Kairon or someone like that, or even YOU.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #85 on: August 27, 2007, 07:13:54 PM »
WTF

is this "Dead of Superman, starring Ian" and he split up and reincarnated into you guys?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 27, 2007, 07:15:51 PM »
Ian > Star Trek.

CONFIRMED

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 27, 2007, 07:16:11 PM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
WTF

is this "Dead of Superman, starring Ian" and he split up and reincarnated into you guys?

I didn't start it!

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #88 on: August 27, 2007, 08:16:33 PM »
lawl i said "dead" of superman.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 27, 2007, 09:20:22 PM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
lawl i said "dead" of superman.

See I thought you were being witty or something, so now that I know that it is a typo I am