Poll

Will Nintendo pull off another 30 for 30 in Japan sales this year and, if so, how many times?

Yes. 1 time.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 2 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 3 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 4 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 5 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 6 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 7 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 8 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 9 times.
2 (18.2%)
Ninten-domination! 10 times or more that the top 30 goes to Nintendo Software.
4 (36.4%)
No. It doesn't happen once this year. Sony plays spoiler.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 16, 2023, 10:54:36 AM

Author Topic: Official Sales Thread  (Read 3166406 times)

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Official Wii Sales Thread
« Reply #2825 on: September 14, 2008, 06:46:19 PM »
Wii Sports has continually been a draw for owners of the system.  In any event, Flames, Wii owners are at the very least familiar with sports games and would like to try something meatier than Wii Sports.  EA's absolute failure to tap this audience is just ineptitude on their part.  Which is why their sales went down or stagnate, despite console ownership going up. (Drastically for Wii, very very slowly for the others)
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2826 on: September 15, 2008, 12:00:17 AM »
Quote from: Deguello
In any event, Flames, Wii owners are at the very least familiar with sports games and would like to try something meatier than Wii Sports.

True, but EA isn't the only company making sports games you know, I'm very happy with Mario Sluggers, We Love Golf and MLB Power Pros as "meatier sports games" on Wii. And guess what? EA doesn't make any of them. 

EA's absolute failure to tap this audience is just ineptitude on their part.  Which is why their sales went down or stagnate, despite console ownership going up. (Drastically for Wii, very very slowly for the others)

Heres the main problem with that sentence, Madden, Tiger, or "insert any EA sports franchise here" are the same exact core game every year with only mechanic/control tweaks, roster stat updates and so forth. If EA didn't hook the person with the game in the prior years they certainly won't in the future years. A lot of people who buy Madden and other EA sports games typically bought last year's or the year's before game.  And of course those games are going to have diminishing returns.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2827 on: September 15, 2008, 02:18:40 AM »
Anyways on the sports debate I think people are more likely to gravitate to the Mario Sports titles on Nintendo system.

Did Super Sluggers really sell well?

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #2828 on: September 15, 2008, 06:05:51 AM »
LTD numbers:

Wii Play: 6.608.657
Mario Kart Wii: 2.737.700
Wii Fit: 1.827.900

GH On Tour: 843.200

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2829 on: September 15, 2008, 09:58:03 AM »
Wii Sports is the most realistic simulation of Sports on the market.  Which is why it is the best selling game of the generation, bundles or no (The game quickly became the reason people bought Wiis to begin with).  Nintendo has a powerful Sports game on new values like actual motion simulation, and less on stats and franchise modes.

it's the most realistic simulation of the MOTION of sports on the market.  I don't consider the Wii Sports home-run contest to be an accurate simulation of the game of baseball.  I consider it to be an accurate simulation of me swinging a bat.  Bowling is very realistic, but the baseball, tennis, and golf games are really simplistic.

Thing is, the people that are buying Madden ARE buying it for franchise modes and stats, not motion control.  The fact that Wii Madden is gimped in some areas when compared to the 360 and PS3 versions of the game is probably more of a killer than anything here.  The best Madden experience is going to be on 360/PS3, since it's much better for online play and just slicker and better-looking in general.

The people that are buying the Wii for Wii Sports don't care about traditional sports games (especially the people buying it now that we're well past the early adopter phase).  Wii Sports and Madden are about as far away from each other on the gaming landscape as you can get.  Comparing them is like comparing PilotWings and Microsoft Flight Simulator...they're targeting two totally different markets.

And it is the fault of third parties.  For too long has Nintendo been saddled with the guilt of third party failure after third party failure, simply because they had the smallest userbase.  Now that they have the largest, it's time for the blame to be shifted onto the third parties.  Or Third PARTY as the case may be with NFL Football games.

I don't buy this argument entirely.  Third-parties have ALWAYS struggled on Nintendo platforms to some degree.  Sports games, which are mainly made by third-parties, have also struggled.  Not just this generation, but ever since the SNES days.  At some point Nintendo has to get some of the blame for that, probably in the sense that they don't market their consoles as sports consoles, or don't market third-party games.  I don't think that they cannibalize third-parties with their big titles, since big first-party titles and third-party titles seem to do fine on the 360 and PS3.

I think third-parties also share the blame though, since they often don't make good games and then wonder why they don't sell.

And since when did third parties care what Nintendo "prioritizes?"  They prioritized absolutely jawesome games like Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3.  Nobody copies those or even tries to.  That would require too much effort when they can squirt out a Wii Sports or Nintendogs clone and call it a day.  Or make dumb minigames and "All-Play" purpose-branding in order to placate a market they perceive exists.  Third parties are in the wrong here.  Nobody ran defense for 2K when All-Pro Football tanked recently.  Nobody blamed those consumers when they chose Madden instead.  And as such, the Wii owners, or should I say the majority of the market, is not going to be blamed for Madden's inept failure to attract the already sports-activated audience by Wii Sports.

I don't think Wii Sports is going to make anybody start craving Madden.  People like Wii Sports because it requires zero knowledge of the sports involved.  They gravitate to Wii Sports and gravitate away from stuff like Madden; it doesn't act as some gateway drug to make them crave a deeper experience.  I'd say this for the Wii in general, actually.  I think people nowadays buy a Wii because they don't really have to worry about complicated control schemes, not as a starting point to move towards more complex control schemes.  If they wanted complex control schemes they'd already have a 360 or PS3.

EA is going to want to get these people, because it's more money and not less money, and they will just have to try harder and IN EARNEST next year.

I don't think 150,000K in sales is going to make them care.  They'll likely just service the platform adequately and that's about it.  If they're smart, they'll see it as a growth opportunity and try to get those sales up, but I'm not sure if they know what to do on the Wii platform to begin with.  If they were smart, they make Madden Wii like one of the Mario sports games.  I think that would actually sell.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2830 on: September 15, 2008, 11:09:27 AM »
Third-parties have ALWAYS struggled on Nintendo platforms to some degree.  Sports games, which are mainly made by third-parties, have also struggled.  Not just this generation, but ever since the SNES days.  At some point Nintendo has to get some of the blame for that, probably in the sense that they don't market their consoles as sports consoles, or don't market third-party games.  I don't think that they cannibalize third-parties with their big titles, since big first-party titles and third-party titles seem to do fine on the 360 and PS3.

The idea that Nintendo should pay for advertising other companies' games is so insane that I can't believe otherwise reasonable people keep spouting it.  If more advertising would help, then why doesn't EA pay for it?

I don't think Wii Sports is going to make anybody start craving Madden.  People like Wii Sports because it requires zero knowledge of the sports involved.  They gravitate to Wii Sports and gravitate away from stuff like Madden; it doesn't act as some gateway drug to make them crave a deeper experience.  I'd say this for the Wii in general, actually.  I think people nowadays buy a Wii because they don't really have to worry about complicated control schemes, not as a starting point to move towards more complex control schemes.  If they wanted complex control schemes they'd already have a 360 or PS3.

I think Wii Sports players want a deeper experience, but they don't want the traditional sports game version of depth.  In Madden, depth means franchise mode, a thick playbook, and stats out the wazoo.  Wii Sports is about depth of play; Madden is about depth of experience.  Both are good kinds of depth, and they're not even mutually exclusive.  The problem is that EA thinks that Wii Sports is shallow because it doesn't have the kind of depth they're used to dealing with.  They're trying to recreate the feeling of Wii Sports without understanding why it's good.  It's like trying to make a painting as good as the Mona Lisa with the idea that what people like about the original is the color scheme.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2831 on: September 15, 2008, 01:01:42 PM »
AKA Birdman syndrome.

It's EA's job to provide a game the userbase will buy, not Nintendo's job to make the userbase buy it. EA chose to take the same old game design and ran head first into the same wall they ran into last time.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2832 on: September 15, 2008, 02:16:50 PM »
Yeah, I think EA is forcing a game on the Wii userbase that they don't even want.  Something more like NFL Blitz would be much better.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2833 on: September 15, 2008, 02:24:02 PM »
LOL you may be right, that was the last football game I played. ah hahahaha
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #2834 on: September 15, 2008, 03:00:18 PM »
AKA Birdman syndrome.

It's so universal I didn't even realize I was just rephrasing it.  :)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2835 on: September 15, 2008, 06:31:30 PM »
The 5-on-5 mode in Madden 09 on the Wii really does feel like a Wii Sports football game, with simplified rules and a very simplified playbook (4 options: short pass, medium pass, deep pass, or run) and is right there at the main menu so you don't have to search for it. The problem is that EA never once advertised that feature, so the only people who knew it was there were the people that read the previews who most likely were interested in the game for different reasons and didn't really care about it and the people that may have bought the game for it had no idea it was there..
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #2836 on: September 15, 2008, 07:32:33 PM »
The biggest hit EA(sort of) will have on the Wii is Rock Band 2.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: September 15, 2008, 08:12:31 PM »
Somebody should make a Wii football game like Blitz, but make it crazy stat-based.  That would be HOT.

Maybe Tecmo Super Bowl for Wii?  <crosses fingers>
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #2838 on: September 15, 2008, 09:29:33 PM »
Somebody should make a Wii football game like Blitz, but make it crazy stat-based.  That would be HOT.

Maybe Tecmo Super Bowl for Wii?  <crosses fingers>

Too bad Midway sucks horribly now, they even got Blitz wrong with the new renditions on 360.

And isn't Tecmo Bowl already confirmed on Wii in a way.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: September 15, 2008, 10:08:35 PM »
Yeah, I'm pretty sure he's talking about the Tecmo Bowl that's coming to the Wii next year, that he wants it to be the way he described. Wanting Tecmo Bowl to be about stats is like that guy who wanted to turn Star Fox into a serious space sim, though; the game idea sounds good but it doesn't fit with the series and should be its own thing.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2840 on: September 15, 2008, 10:24:12 PM »
The Tecmo Super Bowl games have always had tons of stats.  Before Madden became the pre-eminent football franchise, Tecmo Super Bowl was the game with the most stats and deepest team rosters on the market.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: September 16, 2008, 02:41:06 AM »
I wasn't aware of that. Most of my time with Tecmo Bowl has been with the original NES version and its Game Boy counterpart; my friend's brother had Tecmo Super Bowl on the NES but we almost always played the original.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: September 16, 2008, 09:57:00 AM »
Yeah, the NES version didn't have any of the heavy stat stuff.  Starting with Tecmo Super Bowl, it started tracking all kinds of statistical categories.

God I love that game.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: September 16, 2008, 10:35:55 AM »
Even though that thread was destroyed we still need to do that Tecmo Bowl DS tournament. That is if you're still willing to play me after the beating I'm going to give you in NHL 09.

J.P. Corbran

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: September 16, 2008, 04:03:10 PM »
The 5-on-5 mode in Madden 09 on the Wii really does feel like a Wii Sports football game, with simplified rules and a very simplified playbook (4 options: short pass, medium pass, deep pass, or run) and is right there at the main menu so you don't have to search for it. The problem is that EA never once advertised that feature, so the only people who knew it was there were the people that read the previews who most likely were interested in the game for different reasons and didn't really care about it and the people that may have bought the game for it had no idea it was there..

I think that's still missing the point.  I don't think Wii Sports is popular because even stupid people can understand it (insert obvious EA executive joke here).  A tacked-on sub-game that isn't even real football isn't catering to the Wii Sports audience.  It's catering to the audience EA thinks likes Wii Sports: people too dumb to handle a "real" game.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: September 16, 2008, 04:09:24 PM »
Have you actually played the game? 5 on 5 really does feel like it was ripped out of Wii Sports (a couple friends and I had a lot of fun with it even though we are perfectly capable of playing traditional Madden, which we did too), plus the All-Play modes for the regular game work really well. This would be a really good game for a casual Wii owner that's a football fan but it was advertised in entirely the wrong way.

J.P. Corbran

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: September 16, 2008, 04:16:36 PM »
I didn't say it wasn't good.  I just think that the selling points you listed line up quite nicely with the thinking that casual means retarded.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2847 on: September 16, 2008, 04:33:45 PM »
It shouldn't have. EA did a great job with this game and it's one of the best examples of modifying a gamer game so that it's more accessible on the Wii (and I really don't like having to look like I'm an EA plant like this to get that point across). It doesn't matter, though, since they completely screwed up in the advertising department.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: September 16, 2008, 05:56:46 PM »
I think the "All-Play" marketing is a mess.  It likely caused hardcore Maddenites(?) to dismiss the game as something made for children, while the non-hardcore would look at it and say, "It's Madden, how simple can it be?"

It's a classic case of trying to cater to everybody, but actually catering to nobody.  For the Wii, I think it would make more sense to have a Madden spin-off franchise like EA's done with their "BIG" line.  Or actually make it part of the BIG line, for that matter.  Call it something like "Madden NFL Rush".  That way they could even milk more money out of their megabucks NFL license by using it for a second game franchise that's clearly distinct from the more simulation-based Madden proper.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: September 16, 2008, 06:02:12 PM »
Does no one read my posts? The game is great for the blue ocean, and I've enjoyed it a great deal as well and I am someone who plays Madden quite a bit and buys it every year. The game has flaws but it's great for both groups. The problem is 100% marketing.

J.P. Corbran