Author Topic: Pop-Up/Direct to app store banner ads  (Read 7007 times)

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
Pop-Up/Direct to app store banner ads
« on: June 12, 2015, 09:47:12 AM »
Over the last week, I've started encountering issues with viewing NWR forums:

When on mobile, the website will automatically push me to the app store to try and download the lyft app.

When on PC, it'll automatically push me to just a single page with just the banner ad on it.

Just wondering if it's an issue on my end, or if NWR is having to move to these types of intrusive ads to pay the bill.  I've been avoiding downloading an ad block, but if ads make my user experience miserable, I might need to reconsider that.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Re: Pop-Up/Direct to app store banner ads
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 11:02:38 AM »
Not speaking as anything afflilated with NWR - Ghostery.  Download and install.  I can't believe you've never ran into this kind of bullshit advertising online before.  It's total crap and is one of the main reasons I've gone nuclear on advertising and tracking on the internet.  The ad networks that allow these kinds of ads through have no one to blame but themselves for those of us who are "killing" the internet by blocking ads.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 11:14:48 AM »
Not speaking as anything afflilated with NWR - Ghostery.  Download and install.  I can't believe you've never ran into this kind of bullshit advertising online before.  It's total crap and is one of the main reasons I've gone nuclear on advertising and tracking on the internet.  The ad networks that allow these kinds of ads through have no one to blame but themselves for those of us who are "killing" the internet by blocking ads.

Oh trust me, i've ran into these kinds of ads before, it's just that my response when it gets that bad is to stop visiting the website. 

I like NWR and the community here, I assume the ad revenue is based on pageviews, so I don't mind tolerating ads as long as they're inobtrusive given this is their revenue stream.  I'd prefer not to have to fight a webpage to view it though.  I'll keep your suggestion in mind in case it continues.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 11:17:33 AM »
It shouldn't be doing that, but there have been instances in the past where we started seeing these kinds of things and had to figure out what was causing that and fix it. I've sent an email up the chain to the people who actualy know how to do that kind of thing, and hopefully this will be taken care of quickly. Thanks for letting us know.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 12:05:56 PM »
Okay, we're going to need more information about what you saw. If you can tell us your location (city, country, etc.), the date and time you saw this, what browser and OS you're using, and a description of the ad, that would be really helpful trying to get this fixed. Sorry about the hassle, these things can just be a pain to nail down.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 03:33:30 PM »
Phone - Iphone 5S, Safari.  I pull up the forums website and it pushes from the safari app to the app store.  on the app store, it directly goes to the lyft app download page.

computer - HP computer.  Internet explorer.  I pulled-up the forum page, and it was a Zales banner ad.  Before loading, the page would refresh and just load the Zales banner ad, not loading any of the rest of the forum page.

Located around Raleigh, NC.  It was this morning, 8:30 AM EST.  Happened a few times on my phone earlier this morning and last night. 

Thanks for looking into it.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 11:38:52 AM »
Happened again on mobile just now.  pushed directly from the forum site to the app store on a game called "slots - House of Fun!". 

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 10:04:57 AM »
Happening again multiple times on PC just now.  Load a page on the forums just for it to redirct to just the banner ad for Zales at the top.  Internet Explorer.  Hope you guys can figure out what's happening.