Author Topic: IP infringement in mobile games  (Read 5293 times)

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
IP infringement in mobile games
« on: March 01, 2014, 03:55:40 PM »
Why is it so easy for developers to sell clone games (a game that infringes on IP) on mobile app stores? The approval process at Apple and Google should be more stringent so this sort of thing doesn't happen. You'd never see a game like Flappy Bird (or those Pokedex apps) on Steam, PlayStation, or Xbox.

Even Windows Phone is guilty of having clone games, even though Microsoft would never let this happen on Xbox.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 04:17:32 PM by tendoboy1984 »
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: IP infringement in mobile games
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 04:23:05 PM »
Why wouldn't you see a game like Flappy Bird on those systems? Does Nintendo hold a copyright on pipes? Please explain what IP Flappy Bird is infringing upon.

3D Dot Game Heroes is 90% Zelda and 10% Legos...it was on PS3.

Now, of course there is a ton of IP infringement on mobile games...but Flappy Bird is a pretty terrible example, unless you're talking about all of the Flappy Bird clones.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 04:28:37 PM by Brandogg »
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 04:34:22 PM »
The point is, Apple and Google don't seem to care until the developer is hit with a cease & desist order.

Sony and Nintendo, on the other hand, enforce strict quality control so the problem doesn't happen in the first place.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 04:39:24 PM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 06:58:38 PM »
My guess is that so many games are released on the mobile store that it would be too daunting a task for them to track down & unlist every game that isn't a blatant rip-off.  Maybe they rely on the IP owners to submit a request prior to unlisting a game or app.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 07:08:44 PM »
Money.

They get a percentage of every sell and there's virtually no downside because they act swiftly when they're told to take them down so no one wants to try and go after Google/Apple for infringement (and to be honest, I doubt they could).
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 07:21:52 PM »
Considering there are hundreds of thousands of games on iOS and Android, compared to hundreds on DS and...dozens on Wii U, I think your question answers itself.

I still don't get why you mention Flappy Bird though.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 12:03:03 AM »
Apple/Google/whoever don't have the resources to check the tens of thousands of apps they host for copyright infringement. Also, the courts have ruled that for a game to be infringing it has to be incredibly similar, far more than most anything on those platforms.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 03:38:22 PM »
Don't mobile developers have to present their games to Apple / Google before they get approved for distribution?

Why are Sony / Nintendo more diligent with game approval than Apple / Google?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 03:40:33 PM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 03:51:16 PM »
You ask more questions than a six year old.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 03:57:50 PM »

That's a bit unnecessary.  He's not being disrespectful in his questioning, why provoke like that?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2014, 06:22:47 PM »
Why are Sony / Nintendo more diligent with game approval than Apple / Google?

Because they can afford to be, because they don't get anywhere near as many submissions.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 06:24:39 PM by NWR_insanolord »

J.P. Corbran

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2014, 10:34:55 PM »
Money.

They get a percentage of every sell and there's virtually no downside because they act swiftly when they're told to take them down so no one wants to try and go after Google/Apple for infringement (and to be honest, I doubt they could).

This is what it comes down to, in my opinion.  Apple and Google want to push as much content out as possible, with as little direct (non-automated) oversight as possible because it's profitable for them to do so.

They know there is a large amount of IP infringement, but they don't care. As long as they comply with any take-down requests in a timely fashion then there is no incentive for them to limit or restrict what is getting released with respect to IP infringement. If anyone does try to change their approach, well... Apple and Google have some of the best legal teams on the planet and more than enough resources to back them up.

I've always wondered what happens to the money generated by these cases of clear IP infringement. My understanding was that Apple prevents money from reaching the offending developers - but have never heard exactly what they do with the proceeds. Do platform holders send some/all of the money to the rightful IP holders in these cases? Pocket the payments? The cynic in me has a guess, but it's not backed up by any real knowledge.
NNID: ejamer

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2014, 10:49:10 PM »
I've always wondered what happens to the money generated by these cases of clear IP infringement.
There was one person who flooded digital store with hundreds reskins of the endless jumper.

Each reskin was an obvious infringement with sprites directly taken from the game or promo materials (call of duty guy jumping on green thingies from MW3, silliness like that).

If that wasn't profitable -- people wouldn't do it.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2014, 11:35:07 PM »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2014, 12:04:55 AM »
TL;DW

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2014, 02:13:51 AM »
The reluctance to go through rigorous testing isn't just about making profit off those apps; Apple used to go more in depth with their testing and they loosened it because developers were pissed about the process taking too long and resulting in unnecessary rejections.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2014, 03:31:34 AM »

That's a bit unnecessary.  He's not being disrespectful in his questioning, why provoke like that?

Because for like the 50th time, there is a goddamn thread for questions like these, and nobody seems to remember that.  He shouldn't make a new thread every time a question pops in his head.

At the very least, can we make a thread specifically for HIS questions? This is a serious suggestion.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2014, 08:22:35 AM »
No.  And there's no need to be a jerk about it.

Dude has questions and this is a message board for discussing things.  If you don't like his threads, then don't click on them.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2014, 01:24:00 PM »

Because for like the 50th time, there is a goddamn thread for questions like these, and nobody seems to remember that.  He shouldn't make a new thread every time a question pops in his head.

At the very least, can we make a thread specifically for HIS questions? This is a serious suggestion.

Yes, there is an old thread for "random questions that don't deserve their own thread", but i'd argue:

1)  It's not enough of a faux pas to warrant getting so upset about if they're not posted there, and
2)  The NWR forums aren't so active that a thread here is going to push down a thread with substantive conversation.

There have been cases where tendoboy posted several threads at a time with simple questions, but in this case, it has been contained to one thread anyway. 

I just think being respectful of others outside of the funhouse isn't that hard of a thing to ask.  Cmon, Oblivion, this isn't something that warrants being so antagonistic about.