Author Topic: Who is going to buy a PS3 Slim?  (Read 63437 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Who is going to buy a PS3 Slim?
« Reply #300 on: October 26, 2009, 06:36:56 PM »
Good question, I'm curious about that, too.

I just nabbed the first Uncharted. I'm psyched, but I need to finish Corruption (almost done) and start Spyborgs (I'm reviewing it) and maybe get a bit farther in Brutal Legend before I get into it heavily.

Unless it's a short game. Is it short? Uncharted, I mean. Can I blow through it in a couple of days?

You can easily blow through both Uncharted games in a couple days.  They're both relatively short games, at about 8-10 hours apiece.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline hylianhero5249

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Shogun Gamer
« Reply #301 on: October 26, 2009, 07:07:16 PM »
Okay, I'm seriously considering picking up a PS3 this week but I'm too lazy to do my own research. I already own a 360 and would prefer to play most multiplatform games on that, so I'm looking for PS3 exclusives that I should be thinking about. I'm already looking at Uncharted, Little Big Planet, MLB The Show, and Valkyria Chronicles and I'm not interested in MGS; is there anything good I'm missing.
Killzone 2, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue. Both Motorstorms, Resistance 1 and 2, SOCOM, and Warhawk,

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 26, 2009, 07:47:46 PM »
But do you need the disc in the drive the entire time, or only to install it the first time?

It's my understanding that you need the disc in the drive in order to stream Netflix.  It's rumored/assumed that Microsoft has an exclusive on an in-dash application.  It's been hinted that Netflix steaming could be updated to be an installed application sometime down the line, which means that exclusivity is timed.

Unless it's a short game. Is it short? Uncharted, I mean. Can I blow through it in a couple of days?

I heard it's under 10 hours.

I need to ... start Spyborgs (I'm reviewing it)

I thought Lindy was reviwing Spyborgs?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 26, 2009, 07:55:46 PM »
Speaking of streaming Netflix, I checked out the Nintendo channel last nite (game times to follow), but if the High Quality videos on the Nintendo channel are anything to go by, then Netflix shouldn't be all that hard to accomplish on the Wii.

They were very clear and they all loaded fairly quickly. With as many Wiis as there are PS360's out there, I don't see whats taking them so long to get this rolled out as quickly as possible.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #304 on: October 26, 2009, 08:09:59 PM »
Lindy said he won't have time or something. It's understandable, and I like reviewing games, so it was a win-win.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: October 27, 2009, 03:14:03 AM »
Good question, I'm curious about that, too.

I just nabbed the first Uncharted. I'm psyched, but I need to finish Corruption (almost done) and start Spyborgs (I'm reviewing it) and maybe get a bit farther in Brutal Legend before I get into it heavily.

Oh yeah.  Easily.  But be prepared for massive bullet sponges.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: October 27, 2009, 11:58:36 AM »

Most definitely. I had a friend blow through it in an afternoon.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #307 on: October 27, 2009, 01:15:12 PM »
Played it last night for about an hour and a half. I love it! Very cinematic, though I see what you guys mean when you say "goon areas." They just keep coming! I wouldn't say any of them are "bullet sponges" (I'm good with the headshots) but man oh man, you fight like four rounds of five guys at a time.

I just discovered the plane wreckage. I think I killed like twenty guys. I've already got a bunch of kill achievements. I have to get used to how the grenades handle.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 27, 2009, 02:14:21 PM »
For some reason the Uncharted games ate my fav for headshots. They get even better in two.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: October 27, 2009, 02:34:24 PM »
But do you need the disc in the drive the entire time, or only to install it the first time?

Netflix VP Explains the Need for PS3 Discs
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline mac<censored>

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: October 27, 2009, 11:41:44 PM »
I just discovered the plane wreckage. I think I killed like twenty guys.

Even more fun on "crushing" difficulty!  :o

They seemed to have spent a lot of time fine-tuning the fight areas.  I've noticed that they designed many of them so that's often impossible to hole up and just snipe -- no matter where you hide, you usually have to watch your back too because they enemies will most definitely be trying to sneak up behind you (and even when there are such hidey holes, you usually have to leave them and expose your self at some point to advance through the fight) -- but there's enough cover so that with care and a bit of skill, you can always manage to do it.

The checkpoint frequency also seems spot on, so that when you do die, although it's annoying, you feel psyched to try again instead of screaming and tossing the ps3 out the window (games where you have to replay huge portions of the level just drive me nuts).  I think this is the main reason why I rarely felt frustrated, despite the slightly absurd wave-after-wave-of-bad-guys feel of some fights.  On "hard" and "crushing" it got more frustrating, but never became impossible.

The fact that the characters actually reflect the absurdity seems kinda cool too (lots of dialog like "where are all these guys coming from?!")

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: October 27, 2009, 11:51:05 PM »
I just discovered the plane wreckage. I think I killed like twenty guys.

Even more fun on "crushing" difficulty!  :o

They seemed to have spent a lot of time fine-tuning the fight areas.  I've noticed that they designed many of them so that's often impossible to hole up and just snipe

I spent my entire "Crushing" run doing nothing but baiting those morons into running into my "one entrance" hiding place so I could punch them to death (or blind fire my shotgun at point-blank range for an instant kill), and then snipe the others from right where I was.  The only times you can't get away with that are in the huge, wide-open arenas towards the end,  where you pretty much die until you get the exact right sequence of enemies to kill to prevent them from sneaking around you and one shot-ing you with a shotgun.  In general, I found Uncharted 1 to be extremely defense-oriented without a great deal of room to experiment with moving around the arenas.  You can only take a couple shots without dying, and it doesn't take long for enemies to severely flank you.

And yes, Crushing difficulty on Uncharted 1 is beyond brutal and well into unfair.  I only ever got through it by exploiting the AI and programming glitches (the water room, anyone?).
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 12:07:16 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline hylianhero5249

• View Profile
    • Shogun Gamer
« Reply #312 on: November 01, 2009, 05:56:04 PM »
I am getting a PS3 Slim, since it will be my first PS3. If I already had a PS3 though, I would still probably buy a Slim, since I am a new-hardware whore.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: November 01, 2009, 06:21:51 PM »
All you Demon's Souls haters need to get in the Waaaaaaahmbulance.  ;-)  Great game, but not for the feint of heart.

As for exclusives...

Folklore
Motorstorm: Pacific Rift
Infamous
Resistance: Fall of Man (I prefer it to Resistance 2, but I like both titles)
Soldner-X (side-scrolling shooter)
Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds (the only Mario Golf game this generation, totally awesome)
Warhawk (forgotten classic, very good Battlefield 1942-ish online game that still has an active, dedicated community)

I pretty much agree with Lindy except with Hot Shots Golf being the only Mario Golf game this generation. We Love Golf for Wii is also very similar to Mario Golf and it's made by Camelot who made Mario Golf ;). It was one of the first online enabled golf games on Wii.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #314 on: November 02, 2009, 01:39:04 PM »
Just beat Uncharted last night. Great game, though it started getting a little gun-heavy toward the end. I really enjoyed the platforming elements. The gunplay was good, but like I said, a little too much of it toward the end. Overall it's a wonderful game, with great, subtle character animations. Elena could use a few more cup sizes, I'm just sayin'.

Very much felt like an action movie. I kind of wished the zombie Spaniards in the generator room were zombie Nazis, though. That would've been OFF THE CHAIN.

I'll be starting Uncharted 2 pretty soon. My brother let me borrow it.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #315 on: November 03, 2009, 02:02:24 AM »
Elena could use a few more cup sizes, I'm just sayin'.

They made up for it with the backside n legs.  Hottest game character to date.  Easily....     ;)

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #316 on: November 03, 2009, 02:21:39 PM »
I don't think you're giving Jade from BG&E her due.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 06:25:47 PM by Halbred »

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 03, 2009, 06:09:09 PM »
Very true.  "Jade wins. Finish him.".  Anytime....

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 09, 2009, 01:58:50 PM »
Anyone get their Netflix disc last week?  How's it work?

From the little bit that I've read it seems like it works okay but you can tell it's a 1.0 product--there's quite a bit to be desired about the functionality.

I haven't seen resolution addressed anywhere--I know you can stream in HD, but what's the resolution?  1080p?  1080i?  720p?