Author Topic: Who is going to buy a PS3 Slim?  (Read 63436 times)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Re: Who is going to buy a PS3 Slim?
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2009, 04:15:50 PM »
Wait, what? Why that when he could get Tiger Woods 10 on the Wii which is universally agreed to be THE definitive golf game?

Because it's the equivalent of the Mario Golf game that Nintendo inexplicably hasn't made for Wii, that's why.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2009, 04:19:53 PM »
If I can sell my current 40 gig PS3 (and I know I can), I'm SO buying a Slim. My only worry is transferring game saves, but if I have a big enough USB stick(s), it should be too much trouble. I heard rumors that Capcom saves don't transfer, which doesn't bug me except for RE5, which I've sunk dozens of hours into.

I also read that the game's latest update unlocks save transfers, so I'm plugging that puppy in today and getting the update.

Exciting!
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2009, 04:47:48 PM »
If Ian trades-in his Wii collection and system, he can get EVEN MORE value towards the purchase of his PS3.

Hell no.  I would only do that if I was so broke that I couldn't afford to feed myself.  Since that would require me to lose my job, blow my savings, lose all my friends and ruin my relationship with my family members so severly that wouldn't help me out that's probably not going to happen unless I start doing heroin or something.

I'm not disappointed with my Wii collection but rather that the collection is so small.  While disappointed with it I don't regret the purchase.  Super Mario Galaxy alone is worth owning a Wii for.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2009, 04:59:24 PM »
If I can sell my current 40 gig PS3 (and I know I can), I'm SO buying a Slim. My only worry is transferring game saves, but if I have a big enough USB stick(s), it should be too much trouble. I heard rumors that Capcom saves don't transfer, which doesn't bug me except for RE5, which I've sunk dozens of hours into.

I also read that the game's latest update unlocks save transfers, so I'm plugging that puppy in today and getting the update.

Exciting!

Some EA games don't transfer, don't bother trying to store the 5GB install data files.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2009, 05:00:34 PM »
I have 5 PS3 games, no PS3. I have been waiting for a price drop since the beginning of the universe.

Now all they have to do is announce a "price drop" which equates to the UK being ripped off as usual and i will return to regularly scheduled slagging within a week.

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2009, 05:03:54 PM »

Exciting!

Some EA games don't transfer, don't bother trying to store the 5GB install data files.

He can always just backup his data to an external HDD like I did when I had to send my PS3 in for repairs.  That thing had more than enough room for all my data, even the multi-GB installs.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2009, 05:31:41 PM »
I'll probably just re-install everything.

No EA games, but I do have some Capcom games (RE5, SF4) and I've heard they don't transfer well.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2009, 06:01:05 PM »

No EA games, but I do have some Capcom games (RE5, SF4) and I've heard they don't transfer well.

No, they transfer fine. All the trophies are stored server side via PSN. You might as well transfer your saves and redownload all your PSN games.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2009, 06:17:23 PM »
I have 5 PS3 games, no PS3. I have been waiting for a price drop since the beginning of the universe.

Now all they have to do is announce a "price drop" which equates to the UK being ripped off as usual and i will return to regularly scheduled slagging within a week.

If you didn't catch the UK price, it's £249.99.

Edit: Here is the price of the PS3 in all regions.

US:$299
Canada $299
Japan:29980 *which is $316 USD*
UK:£249.99
AU:$499.95
NZ: $629
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 08:15:09 PM by Flames_of_chaos »

Online broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2009, 06:22:58 PM »

No, they transfer fine. All the trophies are stored server side via PSN. You might as well transfer your saves and redownload all your PSN games.

There are issues with the trophies.  The HDD that I used to backup my data actually belonged to my best friend's father, who insisted on holding onto it while my PS3 was away for repair.  Before I sent the system in, though, I downloaded the first episode of the Penny Arcade Adventures thinking that I'd get some trophies and then just synch up my data with PSN so I'd get that data back.  No, when I restored my data later and my data synched-up with PSN, I lost my trophy data for Penny Arcade because it wasn't on my HDD when I did the backup so somehow my HDD over-rided PSN.  The next time I played Prince of Persia my trophies went all loopy as well, though that eventually sorted itself out.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2009, 06:24:34 PM »
It would cost me roughly $120 to sell my 160GB PS3 and get a Slim. The only benefit for me is that it consumes less power which will help my electric bill. How long will it take to make up that $120? I'm considering it especially since I'm a space whore and the PS3 heats up pretty quick.

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2009, 06:42:26 PM »

How the heck can you transfer those protected save files? I'm interested!
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Offline mac<censored>

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2009, 07:16:12 PM »
hmm, just saw the pics; still kinda bloated and ugly looking
also has that crappy sony controller
argh
what to do, what to do...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2009, 08:43:17 PM »
I wouldn't buy it even if it were $100.

And I think it's ridiculous to suggest that Sony "grew" gaming more than Nintendo did. Sony would have never even entered the gaming industry if it weren't for Nintendo. They created a partnership to develop a CD-system add-on for the Super Nintendo, but Nintendo backed out of the deal when Sega's CD add-on failed. Sony took the tech and released it stand-alone as the PlayStation. A couple years later they ripped the analogue stick and rumble pack from Nintendo's 64-bit system and that's when the system sales started to pick up.

Sony's secret to success? Steal ideas from the real pioneers.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2009, 09:02:40 PM »
Exactly. Nintendo proved they are the innovators and others copy at this years E3 when both Sony and Microsoft basically admitted Nintendo was right by announcing their own motion controllers. Nintendo also basically revived the video game industry in North America (and to a less extent in Europe and Australia since some of the computer game systems continued surviving their, but the consoles had collapsed).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2009, 09:03:03 PM »
I'd buy it eventually if it had the full BC.  PS2's are constantly breaking, my roommate and I each have one, and neither is reliable.  He's decided he's going to go on eBay or something and get a BC PS3 for FFXIII, since he doesn't want his PS2 to just quit on him.  I don't blame the guy, but I look at the PS3's big platform sellers, and I really don't care much about them.  The closest thing that could draw me is Little Big Planet, and every video I see of that, the actual platforming seems to be dull and flat.  Other PS3 games haven't wowed me very much, either, though I'd have to look at a list to see if that's how I feel.

Still, I'd rather own a 360 than a PS3, looking at the games catalog.  However, their hardware is still unreliable, as far as I can tell, and I don't want to deal with that.

Instead, the solution is the Wii, along with the legacy of the GameCube, N64, SNES, and NES, some DS and GBA games, and every once in a while, a PS/PS2 game.  It's more than enough, and I can hold out for a price drop, reliable hardware, BC, and things like that with these.

Although part of me does agree with Mop_it_up.  Sony, specifically is very good at ripping off an idea, executing it worse, then marketing it better, to look like they're the ones who did it best, first.

Online broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2009, 09:17:16 PM »
Exactly. Nintendo proved they are the innovators and others copy at this years E3 when both Sony and Microsoft basically admitted Nintendo was right by announcing their own motion controllers. Nintendo also basically revived the video game industry in North America (and to a less extent in Europe and Australia since some of the computer game systems continued surviving their, but the consoles had collapsed).

Nintendo proved that they were the innovators this generation, no doubt about that.  But some of you guys have a real short memory regarding the PS1/PS2 era.  Sony's the company that brought gaming into the mainstream with the PS1, expanding the market beyond people like us to people who (at that time) normally wouldn't play games.  Sure, they didn't expand it to the limits that Nintendo has now, but there's a good reason Sony became the console that "everyone" owned and Nintendo became the manufacturer of consoles for "kids" with the N64 and GameCube.  Sony also lifted the heavy veil of censorship that Nintendo legendarily imposed on the NES/SNES.  Was that all because of the addition of disc-based media with the advent of FMV and larger-caliber games that Sony used to market the hell out of their games?  Yes, but I could say something similar about Nintendo this generation: there's been little actually inventive about anything they've put on the Wii this generation, just that it uses a new interface that occasionally enhances the game experience (and in other case, like Mario Galaxy, barely impacts it at all).  In fact, the most inventive game on the Wii this generation wasn't even made by Nintendo: Zack & Wiki.

I'm not taking anything away from what Nintendo did with marketing the Wii, just reminding you all that you aren't giving Sony any credit for what they did with the PS1/PS2.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 09:20:15 PM by broodwars »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2009, 09:26:54 PM »
Sony didn't do anything with the PS1 and PS2. All they did was not mess up. They just kind of fell into the industry and the top spot inexplicably came with it. Nintendo shot themselves in the foot by sticking with cartridges and that caused the third-parties to jump ship. All of the high-profile games on the PlayStation would have been released on the Nintendo 64 had it used CDs.

A lot of gaming reaching the main stream was because of the move to 3D and more complex games. It would have happened regardless of which company released what system.

Nintendo lifted their censorship because of the ESRB, not because of Sony. Need I remind you that games like Mortal Kombat II and Doom were released on the SNES uncensored?

Online broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2009, 09:30:52 PM »
Nintendo lifted their censorship because of the ESRB, not because of Sony. Need I remind you that games like Mortal Kombat II and Doom were released on the SNES uncensored?

Need I remind you that games like Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy VI, and even (in a few small moments) Chrono Trigger were released on the SNES censored?

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2009, 09:32:38 PM »
broodwars, do you know who decided to do the censorship on those games?  Didn't the censorship carry over into PS re-releases of those games?

The only reason Nintendo picked up the image that it was for younger crowds wasn't because of Sony, anyways.  That was the lasting effect of Sega's marketing campaign, which just stuck, thanks to the first Mortal Kombat, even though, as Mop_it_up said, that was rectified with the sequel.  Sony intercepted people who wanted the next Sega by offering a lower priced option, and went from there.

Cartridges, we all know, are still better than discs, anyways, except when it comes to save file management.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2009, 09:34:15 PM »
Two of those games were released before the ESRB was formed.
Also were they censored in America or everywhere? And what was cut?

The fact of the matter is, when the ESRB became firmly in place, Nintendo dropped almost all of their censorship policies.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2009, 09:36:27 PM »
Also... I don't know of CT being censored, anyways.  It just had a translation that could have been better, with Woosely carrying over the same methods he used back on the Final Fantasies.

Online broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2009, 09:40:46 PM »
broodwars, do you know who decided to do the censorship on those games?  Didn't the censorship carry over into PS re-releases of those games?

The only reason Nintendo picked up the image that it was for younger crowds wasn't because of Sony, anyways.  That was the lasting effect of Sega's marketing campaign, which just stuck, thanks to the first Mortal Kombat, even though, as Mop_it_up said, that was rectified with the sequel.  Sony intercepted people who wanted the next Sega by offering a lower priced option, and went from there.

Cartridges, we all know, are still better than discs, anyways, except when it comes to save file management.

Well, things like the spell names in Final Fantasy were corrected for the PS-era of games, though they wouldn't get the naming convention we know now till FF8 implemented the "-a, -ara, -aga, -aja" system.  I never played the PS re-releases of FFIV and FFVI, so I wouldn't know if Square just chose to directly port the old code or not.

As for the whole "catridges vs. discs" thing, I'm kind of inbetween on the whole issue.  On the one hand, it is nice to just throw a cart in and have everything you need right there.  No memory cards, etc.  And the short loading times of the cart era and even the well-coded GCN games were certainly much appreciated.  On the other hand, you got really good-quality sound on the PS1 and really outstanding sound on the PS2.  Being able to use multiple discs also allowed FMV, something that in general I certainly enjoyed (though I lean towards using the in-game engine when possible) but also allowed for better execution of crucial story elements.  The 3D graphics were ugly on both the PS1 and N64, though they certainly looked worse on the PS1 with its horrid textures.

Besides, these days we're all just saving our data to hard drives or flash drives anyway and the loading times have improved, so it sort of feels like the cartridge days again now anyway.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2009, 09:43:34 PM »
Cartridges have better durability and so does the system which plays them. I don't recall ever hearing about the Nintendo 64 having any kind of failure rate...

Online broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2009, 09:45:02 PM »
Two of those games were released before the ESRB was formed.
Also were they censored in America or everywhere? And what was cut?

The fact of the matter is, when the ESRB became firmly in place, Nintendo dropped almost all of their censorship policies.

It was minor stuff in FFVI and Chrono Trigger, things like spell names ("Holy" became "White" and the whole thing in CT with "Toma's Soda" and the characters getting "full" on "stew" instead of getting drunk on sake) and whatnot.  It was a little more serious in FFIV, where (on top of the usual spell stuff) we had things like a guilloitine in a critical cutscene turned into a giant stone ball or something.  It's been so long since I played the SNES Final Fantasies that my memory's a bit fuzzy.  I just remember in general you couldn't have references to Christianity, so that's how we had things like crosses changed to hearts and holy->white.

Speaking of fuzzy, when did the ESRB get established?  I could have sworn FFVI and CT came out after the ESRB's establishment, since those two games released fairly close to one another.

Cartridges have better durability and so does the system which plays them. I don't recall ever hearing about the Nintendo 64 having any kind of failure rate...

No disagreeing with that.  You had to actively try to break an N64 and even a GameCube, whereas the PS1/PS2 were notorious for really shoddy construction.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 09:55:39 PM by broodwars »