Author Topic: Question about recently released info on WM XIX  (Read 4519 times)

Offline Lightomen1

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Question about recently released info on WM XIX
« on: February 07, 2003, 03:19:03 PM »
at some THQ event recently, it was said that WM XIX will feature major improvements to gameplay that haven't been seen in a wrestling game sice no mercy on nintendo 64. Now could this mean that we'll see a No Mercy grappling engine? I sure hope so!
Freak Daddy Funk in the house!

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2003, 03:23:14 PM »
I don't know, but I'll be finding out.  Stay tuned.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2003, 03:37:45 PM »
Its simple hire Aki back! Why did Aki-THQ break up their relationship anyways? Aki is still in buisness see Def Jam or Kikunuman

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2003, 06:58:40 PM »
I think what they meant to say was that XIX will be the first game to feature blood since no mercy. however, Yuke's is still developing the game, so I imagine the engine will pretty much remain the same from last year's edition. as long as they have the most up-to-date roster possible, and a story/career mode to go with it, I'll be satisfied.

Offline OutOfTheCube

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2003, 07:00:32 PM »
Wait a second...wouldn't that be Wrestlemania 19?
I'm baaaaaack!

-OOTC

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2003, 04:12:55 PM »
As much as people like myself bitched and moaned about the AWFUL grappling engine in Wrestlemania X-8. I'd like to think that they would in fact change the engine around. Hopefully they will, but the AKI/THQ split up has hurt our chances. But God willing the next WWE game won't make Buddy Jesus cry.

Offline Lightomen1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2003, 02:23:49 PM »
BAM! let's bump it up a notch!

Offline greenwood

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2003, 05:37:55 PM »
One thing I really hope they fix is the collision detection on the moves. I hated doing a suplex or some other move and taking out everyone within a (seemingly) 10 foot radius. I started calling everything the "Grenade Suplex" or the "Grenade Powerbomb".
This is, of course, in addition to my small and futile hopes that they'll revert back to the old Aki style with the weak and strong grapples and such. Blood is cool and all but being able to do more moves is much more important.  

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2003, 06:02:16 PM »
Does naybody know why Aki-THq broke down? ITs a darn shame

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2003, 07:03:13 AM »
I'm hoping for THQ to announce a "doesn't suck" feature but considering it's THQ and the WWE that's not likely going to happen.

I would actually prefer it if instead of the WWE games improving that someone else made a really good original wrestling game that sold great without any license.  The WWE license is limiting because they have to fill it with crappy wrestlers like A-Train and sh!tty moves like the Stephanie Slap.  Plus because it's a licensed product they have to meet release dates regardless of quality so promised features get removed and bugs are everywhere.  If an original wrestling game made it big not only would it give wrestling fans something else to play but would also force THQ and the WWE to get off their asses and deliver something worth buying.

I personally found the No Mercy engine a bit overrated.  The general design was solid but the game played really slow and stuff like ladder and cage matches totally sucked ass.  The AI was also terrible as they would never climb ladders and would often grab a weapon and then drop it right after.  Still with some tweaks and better hardware it could have greatly improved.  Instead it's been shoved aside and will never reach its full potential.

Offline Lightomen1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2003, 04:23:33 PM »
THQ has posted a survey on what gamers want in a wrestling game, It is very in depth and covers pretty much all the problems the gamers had with WM 18 like the controls, animations, and what not.  At the end of it, it asks you what ur favorite wrestling game is. among the choices is......NO MERCY!  everyone go the THQ's website and check that option, .......go.........right now............you're still here?.......go now and show THQ  how much ass u want WM 19 to own!