Author Topic: Official SSBB SmashDate Discussion  (Read 464333 times)

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: Official Smash Bros. Dojo Update Discussion
« Reply #125 on: August 13, 2007, 08:27:36 AM »
"This also raises the question of how KOs work in his case. Does the trainer simply disappear like Nana when Popo is KOed and if so, does he jump down from the same "rebirth" platform as the other characters?"

Since he's not actually fighting, I assume he'll stay in the background until his Pokemon are out for good...(I then expect him to fall to his knees and disappear...)

"Also, thanks to playing as this character, I will no doubt beat the "LET ME SHOW YOU MY POKEMANS!!!" joke to death."

Aha, I'm glad I'm not the only one...

"I was hoping we'd see Mr. Resetti as playable, but there's really no evidence to suggest it. If anything we'll probably see him as an AT and he'll have the same leaf symbol as well."

I'm still calling Generic Animal Crossing Guy with player-specific Mii head...Sakurai must know how fun it is to beat someone over the head with the net!  
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Mikintosh

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE:Official Smash Bros. Dojo Update Discussion
« Reply #126 on: August 13, 2007, 08:27:48 AM »

Originally posted by: Dirk Temporo
Zelda isn't invulnerable when she changes to Sheik.

That's what I meant to say; the extra comma I put in made it sounds like I was saying she was.

Originally posted by: Strell
It would be awesome if one of the following were possible:

You could hack Pokemon Trainer to use any three fighters.

Or, there could be a special Pokemon Vs. Battle Mode where you choose PT but pull any three fighters into your arsenal.  So I could switch out Luigi/Fox/Captain Falcon.

In fact, I will be sad now if this is not possible.

Well then prepare to be sad. It'd kinda wipe out the novelty of the character if they let you do this with anybody...and how would Captain Falcon get in a Poke Ball anyway?

Offline Mikintosh

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 13, 2007, 08:30:47 AM »

Originally posted by: Arbok

Originally posted by: Mikintosh
Well, it's not like when Zelda changes to Sheik, she's invulnerable. I bet there's never a moment in the "switch" that one or the other Pokemon isn't open to attack; that's what makes sense to me, anyway.

I'd disagree:

I'd say at this moment right here the player would be invulnerable... how long that is, is the question. I hope it's very short period of time.

But I'd disagreen with your...disagreement. At that moment, the first Pokemon's still out as a flash of light, and the Poke Ball is right about to open to release the other one. I'm not saying there won't be a 1/4 second gap in which no one's on the field, but I'd bet that whatever's there will take damage, and even if not, the characters aren't frozen in time; I bet the game'll have the Poke Ball open while the Final Smash is starting so it'll get hit anyway.  

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #128 on: August 13, 2007, 08:34:03 AM »

Originally posted by: Mikintosh
I'm not saying there won't be a 1/4 second gap in which no one's on the field...

So you agree with my disagreement? I didn't say how long the invulnerability would be for, I'm hoping it's so small that it couldn't be exploited to dodge attacks, but there does appear to at least be a fraction of a second where the player could avoid all damage. I just really can't see the "flash of light" taking damage in that shot, to be honest...
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #129 on: August 13, 2007, 08:53:33 AM »
I guarantee you that if you kick the glowing circle at that moment, it will fly across the screen just as it were a person, and the new pokemon will appear in the new location.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 13, 2007, 09:08:59 AM »
I think you'll be temporarily invulnerable for a moment when the Pokeman leaves the play field, but very, VERY vulnerable for a moment as the new Pokeman returns to the playfield and pops out of its ball.

In that way, it'll be balanced since you can dodge certain attacks, but you set yourself up to be pwned by others.

He already said that if you swap Pokemans too frequently, there will be consequences because you'll harm their stamina meters.

It sounds like the basis of this character will be switching our your Pokeman every time it starts to show signs of fatigue but not doing so early because it'll also fatigue your Pokemans.

Bottom line: you're playing a cycling character which goes from being a light, to med, to heavy and then light again. You'll need to know all of its different attacks in its three "forms" to truly master it.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Grant10k

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 13, 2007, 09:14:53 AM »
I think there will be a short period of time where the pokemans cannot be vinced (i.e. invincible), but so does dodging, rolling, and teleporting. Perhaps to make up for it right when a new Pokemon appears, while the new 'mon is going "Raaarrrrr" and doing that ferocious yell-into-the-sky thing that they do, they are unflinching but can still take damage. It's sort of like how Ike's Aether move works (i'm an expert with him in SSBB by the way).
 Without data, you're just another schmuck with an opinion.
     -Chris Anderson, TEC speaker

Offline anubis6789

• famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 13, 2007, 10:08:56 AM »
First off I would just like to say that after getting some sleep and really thinking about it with a mind that is not so groggy, my comments about the ununiqueness of the PT's play style in comparison to Zelda/Sheik were really unfounded and kind of silly, not to mention the fact that it was just wrong.

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
I think you'll be temporarily invulnerable for a moment when the Pokeman leaves the play field, but very, VERY vulnerable for a moment as the new Pokeman returns to the playfield and pops out of its ball.

In that way, it'll be balanced since you can dodge certain attacks, but you set yourself up to be pwned by others.

He already said that if you swap Pokemans too frequently, there will be consequences because you'll harm their stamina meters.

It sounds like the basis of this character will be switching our your Pokeman every time it starts to show signs of fatigue but not doing so early because it'll also fatigue your Pokemans.

Bottom line: you're playing a cycling character which goes from being a light, to med, to heavy and then light again. You'll need to know all of its different attacks in its three "forms" to truly master it.

Kind of like how it works in the the actual game, the Pokemon being called back is not hurt, but the Pokemon coming into battle suffers from a kind of "summoning sickness", and cannot do anything for a turn while the opponent can attack it.

I think there will be points within the calling back and calling forward animation where no one is going to present in the battlefield, and I think that is why they have the stamina mechanic in place, to punish those who abuse that moment of invincibility. I also think that another step to balance out the moment of invincibility is apparent delay after a Pokemon comes out of a Pokeball.

Something the site does not make clear is if the stamina level is shared between all three Pokemon, like the damage percentage, or if each Pokemon has its own stamina level. I think the former is probably the most correct, just for simplicity's sake, as well as the fact that it would just fit better within the context of the PT's mechanic.

I also have a feeling that the will enforce a kind of "wait" system, where after changing out Pokemon you have to wait till you can change out again with the amount of time to wait being either static or somehow based upon the current stamina level, damage percentage, or some other variable I cannot think of.

It also seems to me that they may allow you to chose which Pokemon you want to start with, just as they let you start out as Sheik in SSBM, except this will be much more important to the game as a whole, along with a possible trick to start out as ZSS, while the Sheik trick was only needed on a special melee and I think an event match.

I have also convinced myself that "Red" will have "Blue" and "Green" as alternate costumes, considering that he is called Pokemon Trainer instead of Red, Satoshi, or Ash, just my opinion though.    
"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is." - Francis Bacon

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 13, 2007, 10:13:44 AM »
"Something the site does not make clear is if the stamina level is shared between all three Pokemon, like the damage percentage, or if each Pokemon has its own stamina level."

In the end, it'll all just boil down to "don't use a single Pokemon too long or too little"...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Strell

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 13, 2007, 10:14:31 AM »
Mikintosh:

This is why I said it would have to be a hack or a special battle mode.

I don't care how Captain Falcon could get into a dayum Pokeball, I just thinking having some kind of funny tag team mode in Brawl would be awesome.
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline Mikintosh

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 13, 2007, 02:03:27 PM »

Originally posted by: thatguy
I bet you can hit the Pokeballs.

Yeah, this is what I was getting at.

Originally posted by: Strell
Mikintosh:

This is why I said it would have to be a hack or a special battle mode.

I don't care how Captain Falcon could get into a dayum Pokeball, I just thinking having some kind of funny tag team mode in Brawl would be awesome.

Well yeah, with a hack. You can put Sonic in Super Mario Land with a hack too, man!

That said, it would be cool if they decided to put it in.

Offline soracloudtidus

• snes owns and all of you know it
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 13, 2007, 07:42:28 PM »
I don't know but for some reason I think Pikachu should had been one of those pokemons....or maybe pichu..though I don't think pichu will make it to the game. I'm not complaining here but I think if you have a Pokemon Trainer representing Pokemon...why not name him Ash and have him have Pikachu, Squirtle and Charizard? Seems like a good line up representing pokemon to me.
Currently Playing: WoW, New Super Mario Bros,Legend of Zelda: Phanton Hourglass

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 13, 2007, 07:44:03 PM »
No! Pikachu's an independent character... He just HAS to be! I'm a Pikachu player!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 13, 2007, 08:04:03 PM »
HOLY CRAP THE DEVIL!!!!

That's an insane assist trophy wow . . .

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 13, 2007, 08:04:15 PM »
Yeah for the devil!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 13, 2007, 08:05:09 PM »
That's one crazy assist trophy!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 13, 2007, 08:05:21 PM »
That is pretty cool how he scrolls the screen, could be pretty exciting.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #143 on: August 13, 2007, 08:07:56 PM »
The screen is scrolling!

Its the work of THE DEVIL!!
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 13, 2007, 08:09:27 PM »
oh WOW. Awesome... every midnight...
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline soracloudtidus

• snes owns and all of you know it
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 13, 2007, 08:11:54 PM »
I guess that's an assist trophy with a double edge sword. Could be good for you could be bad for you.
Currently Playing: WoW, New Super Mario Bros,Legend of Zelda: Phanton Hourglass

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #146 on: August 13, 2007, 08:24:40 PM »
Yet another update completely out of the blue. SSBB is going to be ten types of insane.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 13, 2007, 09:05:13 PM »
I hope they add the option to toggle individual Pokemon and Assist Trophies on/off. That would allow for ultimate customization. Some of them seem very cheap and while I'd use them every so often to spice things up, it'd be cool to turn them off.

The Devil seems pretty cheap. It's kind of lame, yet, at them same time, kind of interesting. I can see it leading to some very interesting and exciting matches. So while it'd be cool to use sometimes, I hope for the option to take specific Assist Trophies out if so I can still use other ones.  

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 13, 2007, 09:17:46 PM »
Anyone else think this assist trophy would seriously benefit characters like Kirby that can float for a prolonged period of time?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 13, 2007, 09:18:35 PM »

Originally posted by: Mashiro
Anyone else think this assist trophy would seriously benefit characters like Kirby that can float for a prolonged period of time?

Nope, because Kirby won't float anymore for prolonged periods of time!