Author Topic: Rockstar's Table Tennis Announced for Wii  (Read 9355 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Rockstar's Table Tennis Announced for Wii
« on: July 18, 2007, 04:29:20 AM »
Ping-pong and Wii are a match made in heaven.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=14059

Rockstar Games presents Table Tennis is Heading to the Wiiâ„¢    

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Rockstar Games is proud to announce that Rockstar Games presents Table Tennis will be making its way to the Wiiâ„¢ home video game system from Nintendo this Fall.    

Developed by Rockstar Leeds in collaboration with Rockstar San Diego, Rockstar Games presents Table Tennis is the perfect Wii gaming experience. Feel the unmatched speed and intensity of the real-life sport with an authentic physics engine and intuitive gameplay that mimics the exhilarating experience found in international competition.    

Rockstar Games presents Table Tennis made its debut in May 2006 on Xbox 360â„¢ video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and was met with huge critical acclaim, winning Gamespot's “Best Sports Title" at E3 2006.    

“Ever since we released Table Tennis, fans have been asking us to create a Wii version," said Sam Houser, Founder and Executive Producer of Rockstar Games. “By bringing Table Tennis to the Wii and utilizing the motion-sensitive Wii Remoteâ„¢, a new audience can now experience a game that is beautifully designed and impossible to put down."    

Addictive, fast-paced and above all fun, Rockstar Games Presents Table Tennis is guaranteed to be the must have title for all Wii owners.    

For more information please visit http://www.rockstargames.com/tabletennis.

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
RE: Rockstar's Table Tennis Announced for Wii
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 04:51:49 AM »
Cool.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
RE:Rockstar's Table Tennis Announced for Wii
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 04:55:34 AM »
If I got to shoot dudes and haf secks wit chix it w00d be bettar

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 05:51:37 AM »
Call me a Graphics person-of-ill-repute, but I'm curious how this is going to look on the Wii.  

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 06:07:16 AM »
Its about time, this announcement is loooong overdue.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 06:56:28 AM »
Ping pong and table tennis are not the same thing.  </jerk>
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 07:18:17 AM »
They're not?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 07:31:34 AM »
Please enlighten us.
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 07:46:30 AM »
This is one step closer to Virtual Beer Pong!
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline vherub

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 09:09:35 AM »
this is great, wii tennis and wii pong are fun, but seriously crippled. I hope rockstar nails the controls.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 09:12:32 AM »
This title has been long rumored, and pretty much expected once Reggie said he was trying to get Rockstar Game's support. Good to hear it made official, I enjoyed the demo I played at Target (though I don't think it's worth the $40 they were charging, and don't consider $40 to be a "budget" price).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NeoThunder

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 11:19:05 AM »
I want to know if it will have online play
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2007, 11:49:12 AM »
I wasn't impressed with the game, though if Wii controls are well implemented it may be fun.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2007, 12:39:12 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_Tennis

Wikipedia says Table Tennis and Ping Pong are the same thing. What's the deal, Jonny?
I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2007, 03:50:21 PM »
What about pocket pool and tonsil hockey?  Are they the same thing?
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2007, 04:12:03 PM »
ITT: Things that aren't surprising.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2007, 04:44:29 PM »
JONNY IS WRONG

Call him out on it for the next RFN Karl!

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2007, 06:03:07 PM »
Nope Table Tennis involves hitting the ball so it clears the net (except on service) while Ping Pong requires players to make the ball bounce first on their own side before clearing the net. Take that Wiki.
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2007, 06:59:27 PM »
If Wikipedia doesn't say it, then it's not true. You better go update that Wiki page so the truth can be changed mighty fast, until then you look like a jerk for disagreeing with the collective.
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2007, 07:02:11 PM »
Yeah there are minor differences in the rule for Table Tennis and Ping-Pong. And if you are not in college yet and intend to be I would get weaned off of Wikipedia because most institution are banning the use of the site for research paper because of flaws in the definitions/histories. (Some as minor as this one some more major.)  
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2007, 07:14:20 PM »
Wikipedia works fine for gathering basic information, as well as info on things that don't matter.  No one that's grown up now in their right minds would base any research papers on Wikipedia, because it is prone to error.

I'm in college and use wikipedia all the time, though not on any homework, or anything.  It's great to learn about pop-culture and things of that nature.  You end up walking away knowing more on the subject than you did before, even if there may be a few things incorrect.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2007, 07:39:27 AM »
Actually from what I understand wikipedia is highly accurate, in fact this is one of my sources . Personally I find the concept of Wikipedia to be great, in that you are taking information from a large pool with different experiences and knowledge, with checks and balances through many people. Are there times when you get inaccurate stuff? Yes, but alot of the information is usually backed up by sources and if it isn't, there is always a warning label.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2007, 11:24:18 AM »
Wow, with this game and Bully, Rockstar has really taken to the Wii. Hopefully we'll see even more ramped up Wii support in the future.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2007, 12:16:26 PM »
As for graphic that souldn't be a problem. They already have an engine for rendering and use of the controll with Manhunt 2. (At least we are reaping the benfits of the game even though it hasn't been released yet.) The engine make porting to the Wii easier because most of the hard parts are done. (Dealing with the graphics, sound and input.) The games, which sould of been done in either c++ or their scripting language which is defined by the engine, for the most part sould easily fit over the engine with some adjustments. All they would have to do is adjust texture and update the models, that is if they want to do a good port...
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline soracloudtidus

• snes owns and all of you know it
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2007, 03:32:58 AM »

Originally posted by: Jonnyboy117
Ping pong and table tennis are not the same thing.  </jerk>

Originally posted by: vudu
They're not?

Originally posted by: Svevan
Please enlighten us.

Being a  retired pro of table tennis ( I played for 15+ years.) I believe I can answer this. We call Table Tennis the "real"sport. Meaning the high level competition that it's very well mimic in the Rockstar Table Tennis game. The game is more fast paced, more physical and mentally challenge than ping pong.On the other hand ping pong is the recreational part of the sport. Probably most of you have played ping pong because it's what mainstream here in the Americas and in the latin side of the world. In Asia and Europe Table Tennis is cosidered a real sport, with leagues like the ones you see here for baseball,football baskettball etc.  I remember going on debates with friends that ping pong and table tennis where the same thing but believe me when you see it as I try to show everyone you start to respect the sport more and they call it Table Tennis after they realize this. I am proud everytime I can change ppls mind of not calling it ping pong. Als ping pong is a brand of products for Table Tennis, and it's also the sound the ball makes when it bounces off the table.

As for the game coming to the Wii, I am very excited and can't wait to play with my friends and family and remember the great memmories I had of this great sport that anybody can play. I encourge you all to check out the International Table Tennis Federation to check out the top players of the world @ITTF. One interesting note: Table Tennis entered the Olympics before Baseball.

Currently Playing: WoW, New Super Mario Bros,Legend of Zelda: Phanton Hourglass