Author Topic: Starfox Adventures, what's the deal?  (Read 7863 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Starfox Adventures, what's the deal?
« on: August 17, 2004, 10:24:55 PM »
My buddy just bought a Gamecube (a new one with out the hdtv plug, btw) and one of the games he picked up was StarFox Adventures. we played it for an hour or so tonight, and I didn't think it was that bad of a game. Why is it hated so much?

The graphics are really nice, I notice StarFox has the "realistic" fur  that  people are oohing and ahhing over  on the new Conker game over on Xbox, (I guess it just goes to show, Fox had it 2 years ago and no fanboy love.)

I'm enjoying the gameplay so far too. Maybe it's because I'm new to Starfox franchise. I tried the original briefly on the Super NES way back when and didn't like it.

So what's the deal? does it start to suck after awhile?  Maybe this game is like Luigi's Mansion;  because it was a core Nintendo ranchise launch game people had high expectations and it failed to meet them.  I donno, explain it to me.

Offline Cube_King

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Starfox Adventures, what's the deal?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 10:33:07 PM »
I loved SFA. I never figured why so many people hated it. It's a bit repetitive but I dont think I can think one game that doesn't get repetitive after a while. I think the reason why everyone hated it was because they were expecting something on the same level as Zelda or something. SFA is also the only game on my GC that I ever bothered to finish through twice for some reason.
"A bad game is bad forever, but a good game is even better..........." Shigeru Miyamoto

Offline Caillan

• Token New Zealander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 10:46:16 PM »
I really liked the game for the first few hours, but after that it just seemed to trail off. I think the main thing about Starfox is that the objectives seem ridiculous and not 'epic' enough to bother finishing. It's polished alright - especially the graphics  - but it lacks any sort of motivational spur. Penny-Arcade put it pretty well, but I think it was said best by whoever called it 'Zelda without a soul'. (Does anyone know who that was by the way?)

I rekon that if I had plenty of spare time I would more than happily delve into the game and dutifully complete it without noticing anything amiss, but I simply don't, and I would question whether many gamers do. I have a theory that Zelda manages to avoid the boredom factor by creating such a great atmosphere, and therefore it engrosses the player to such a level that collecting fuel cells or whatever doesn't really seem to bad. As I understand it, Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy had similar problems.

Before the DS was announced, Iwata and Miyamoto did a few interviews and so forth about how Nintendo is aiming to create games than can be played in short bursts just as well as they can be played for longer periods of time. To me, Startfox represents that opposite of that philosophy. Because I feel little motivation to achieve the objectives, then they feel  like a chore, and chores will always seem to take too long. There's simply little reason why things should move so slowly other than to inflate the time required to finish the game. In short, to get anying out if it, you need to put  

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
RE: Starfox Adventures, what's the deal?
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 11:11:47 PM »
I thought various mechanics of the game weren't balanced, and this relates to the very end of the game.

Most of all, twisted corridors after twisted corridors of NOTHING.  Too much empty running space.  And the occasional bundle of fur-rendered grass you might find does not make up for this.  There also seems to be a couple bosses missing -- disappointing to someone who wants to end an area on an exciting, action-packed note.  
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2004, 11:48:32 PM »
Heh, Sphinx and the cursed Mummy started out kinda sucky, but  me and my buddy both liked it.  Ah well, I'll see how StarFox turns out.

Offline RCmodeler

• banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2004, 02:45:44 AM »

Originally posted by: ShyGuy I didn't think it was that bad of a game. Why is it hated so much?
(1) Because it's not Starfox.  Starfox is about space battles with ships and lasers, not wandering around on a planet with a baton.  It would have been better with the original title "dinosaur planet", so as not to mislead Starfox fans to buy this crap.

(2) It's rather boring.  I finished the game, but felt that it was precious time wasted.  The fighting boring, the puzzles lame, and the overall game felt jumbled as though it was just a bunch of mini-games strung together.

(3) (a) I recommend you try Zelda Wind Waker or Skies of Arcadia or Metroid Prime... MUCH better games in that adventure/rpg genre.  (And if you find it on ebay - Zelda Collection with the masterpiece called Ocarina of Time.)

(3) (b) Sorry mouse_clicker.  I can't resist recommending better games.  I want SkyGuy to get the best gaming experience possible.
Disclaimer: The message you just read is my opinion.  If you do not like my opinion, I apologize in advance.  Please explain where my opinion is wrong or fallacious.  Thank you. -----  PLAY GAMES FOR FREE! -   http://www.atariguide.com

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2004, 03:19:19 AM »

Originally posted by: Caillan
but I think it was said best by whoever called it 'Zelda without a soul'. (Does anyone know who that was by the way?)

I think that was me, but I could be mistaken. But yeah,  I was stoked about SFA when it was annouced, but after I finally got to play it, I was a bit underwheelmed. You could tell they worked on the graphics so much, they forgot they had to make an engaging game. Not to mention that for a Starfox game, the arwing levels were very lame. It's an OK game, it just doesn't have that "feel" to it.

I'm just hoping the Namco title will be a much needed return to the space battles we know and love. I'm getting nervous, since the on-foot bits are being shown so much, but hopefully that'll be reglated mostly to the multiplayer modes.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2004, 07:02:47 AM »
You guys forgot the most irritating thing in the game it was the stupid TEST OF STRENGTH its a lame button masher but when your about to win the dino all of the sudden pushes you to the pit and what up with the dinosaur being able to have 1 foot misteriously hovering over the stupid pit and not fall. GAH irritating.    
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2004, 07:21:57 AM »
"You guys forgot the most irritating thing in the game it was the stupid TEST OF STRENGTH its a lame button masher but when your about to win the dino all of the sudden pushes you to the pit"

Not if you do it correctly...

But anyways, my say is:  Good adventure game, bad Starfox game...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline CHEN

• These peas taste AWESOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2004, 12:42:31 PM »
The test of strength is easy for people who played Track & Field. God, that was one gruesome game.

Now the test of being high (I dunno what it was called, test of courage? Basically keeping your focus or something) had me failing it a couple of times. And that friggin flying-on-dinosaur-while shooting-millions-of-enemy-objects-minigame. The T-Rex boss was cool, other than that, not enough bosses. And Arwing levels sucked. Fetch quests didn't make any sense. I mean at least in Zelda the triforces were needed to defeat Ganon. I guess it's a trademark with Rare games (Remember Banjo Kazooie and Donkey Kong 3D?)

I sincerely hope the Ace Combat team will do a better job. And since it got delayed till next year (probably because of Nintendo), I'm hoping to see a worthy successor of Starfox (Starwing) and Starfox 64 (Lylat Wars) by then.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2004, 01:00:08 PM »
Average adventure game, doesn't know if it wants to be a StarFox game...

The test of strength crap was a piece of brownies... That dino didn't stand a chance.  I was able to "break diamond" on Mortal Kombat's TEST YOUR MIGHT challenge on Super Nintendo back in the day.

AND WHEN WILL NINTENDO MAKE UP THEIR MIND?!

THE STUPID GAME BOXES SAY "STARFOX" BUT IT'S ALWAYS WRITTEN AS FRIGGIN' "STAR FOX" WITH A SPACE ON PRESS RELEASES! GAHHHH!

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2004, 01:12:56 PM »
Even for an adventure game, it was sub-par.  I was really looking forward to its release and it was okay for a while, but eventually I just kept seeing flaws.  (This was before wind waker's battle system, too.)  The way enemies wait their turn, just really made them seem less evil.  I actually wish rare had made something to collect in the game because they practically gave you 100%.

Spoilers:
the fact that you don't fight general scales didn't help its case and the way andross came back was pretty weak
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline CHEN

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2004, 01:29:15 PM »
Spoiler:
But then Falco came to the rescue. Wheee! That was one of the few awesome events.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2004, 02:04:47 PM »
"THE STUPID GAME BOXES SAY "STARFOX" BUT IT'S ALWAYS WRITTEN AS FRIGGIN' "STAR FOX" WITH A SPACE ON PRESS RELEASES! GAHHHH!"

This is where you learn that Ninty's development and marketing sections are separate...It's "Starfox"

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2004, 02:35:47 PM »
I believe it's "StarFox."

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2004, 03:11:48 PM »
Same thing...It's always been shown in caps anyway...

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2004, 03:29:55 PM »
I never liked typing names like that in all caps anyway.  Kinda like GAMECUBE, and we know what an eyesore that is, therefore I cap the secondary root word: GameCube.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2004, 08:46:03 AM »
It was an average adventure game.  That Penny Arcade is good, and I've also seen another that was really funny.  It involved cats, I believe.

Not to mention, the space levels just sucked total ass.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline PoopyLoopy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2004, 10:45:44 AM »

Originally posted by: PaperMarioMan
Star Fox is voiced by a white person

HAHAHA
This is my signature.

Offline CHEN

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2004, 01:29:26 PM »

Originally posted by: Hostile Creation
It was an average adventure game.  That Penny Arcade is good, and I've also seen another that was really funny.  It involved cats, I believe.

Not to mention, the space levels just sucked total ass.

VG Cats Awesome web comic.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2004, 01:33:10 PM »
Doo de dooo! ^_^

And I think it's kind of wrong to blame Rare for the space sequences when they were basically told to throw them in at the last second... :\

Offline CHEN

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2004, 02:14:17 PM »
People in general need scapegoats. What do you think Bush did all this time? I say hang 'em!

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2004, 03:58:13 PM »
Bamofadodads are scapegoats after all but they cant cover up SFA is a pretty zelda clone thats souless.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2004, 04:07:10 PM »
Bafmodads!  BAFMODADS!

Offline theRPGFreak

• OVERLORD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2004, 07:09:59 PM »
Why did people hate it? Because the Star Fox they wanted was the super-fast, arcade-style flight game that we all loved so much on the N64. I liked the game, but dont feel it was the right decision to use the Star Fox license instead. The game was actually going to be just called  "Dinosaur Planet" for the N64, but was scrapped up for the GC, but replaced the original characters with all the familiar faces of the Star Fox franchise. Now, lets just hope that StarFox2 however, wont let the die-hard fans of the 64version down again.
"I can't read...im not a loser."~Master Shake