Author Topic: The NWR Staff Chimes in on the Xbox One  (Read 18630 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Re: The NWR Staff Chimes in on the Xbox One
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2013, 07:39:20 PM »
in terms of multimedia.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2013, 07:45:31 PM »
in terms of multimedia.

The Xbox One will have exclusive NFL access. Facebook, Skype, Internet Explorer, Netflix, Xbox Music, ESPN, live TV with voice recognition (including showing what is popular with your friends), Xbox SmartGlass support. If the Xbox One also gets the other media apps the Xbox 360 has, it will be a beast for multimedia.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline yoshi1001

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • PIRN-Pokemon Radio
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2013, 08:31:42 PM »
One place the 24-hour thing could really hurt is if you take your system on vacation (not uncommon on road trips) and your timeshare doesn't have Wi-Fi. That could be an issue. Conventions might have issues too if their game room doesn't have wireless.
For Pokemon news and interviews, check us out at:

http://pokepress.blogspot.com/

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2013, 08:40:23 PM »
Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how something like the PAX free play room works within these restrictions. My guess is Microsoft will step in with a solution, but for lower profile events that won't be possible.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2013, 08:42:06 PM »
I think the case against an always on connection has already been made. Sure, that's one game, but imagine it applying to the whole system.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2013, 12:11:01 AM »
in terms of multimedia.

The Xbox One will have exclusive NFL access. Facebook, Skype, Internet Explorer, Netflix, Xbox Music, ESPN, live TV with voice recognition (including showing what is popular with your friends), Xbox SmartGlass support. If the Xbox One also gets the other media apps the Xbox 360 has, it will be a beast for multimedia.

And it will all be hidden behind a paywall.

Offline SonofMrPeanut

• (illegitimately)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2013, 01:11:19 AM »
Interesting observation:  Quantam Conundrum sounds incredibly similar to Quantic Dream, and said game appears to be Microsoft's "Heavy Rain"-styled game (I'm aware Remedy is the developer).

It's also sad that Microsoft's Xbox One was unveiled the same day this happened.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2013, 01:56:05 AM »
Interesting observation:  Quantam Conundrum sounds incredibly similar to Quantic Dream, and said game appears to be Microsoft's "Heavy Rain"-styled game (I'm aware Remedy is the developer).
Interesting observation: Quantum Conundrum was already released last year i think.

Remedy game is called Quantum break.

All these names also all sound like Quantum of Solace and Quantum Leap. I wonder why... There's got to be some reason why they sound so similar...
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2013, 08:53:15 AM »

It's also sad that Microsoft's Xbox One was unveiled the same day this happened.

That's the more exciting announcement methinks.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2013, 03:48:13 PM »
I'm allowed to chime in too, right?  ;)

It strikes me how everyone commenting on the Xbox One reveal, here and elsewhere, are choosing to focus (read: bitch, as gamers are wont to do) on games, when that was not the focus of the event itself. It was all about the hardware, the platform, and the partnerships, with a bit of gaming stuff thrown in there for the mainstream audience that tuned in.

Everyone here knows full well that Microsoft will fill in the games details for us in a few weeks at E3, where the focus is and will always be on games. To that effect, Microsoft, and Sony to a lesser extent, did something extremely smart: They let everyone know in advance what tech they're packing in their boxes for the next-next gen, creating buzz ahead of E3 and riding it into their press conferences, where they can wow folks with games, games, games.

(The way I see it, this could be why Nintendo is skipping a traditional press conference this year; they really don't have anything to attract attention to themselves before the show on the same level as Sony/Microsoft, even if their buzz being forced down our throats.)

Anyhoo, Microsoft got my attention, to the level that I think they've got some hella-impressive hardware in the One. The voice and gesture controls and especially the suped-up Kinect seem like a natural progression in gaming tech, to me at least. The idea of multitasking on a console is dubious from a gaming perspective, but for those less involved in gaming--say, those looking for a high-tech upgrade from the Wii, or in a few years the Wii U--might find that attractive. Might.

However, I've no interest in getting a One, or a PS4, or even a Wii U for some time, if at all. At the moment I'm content with PS Plus games on my PS3 and my PC/iPhone to fill in the gaps or kill time, rarely dropping more than $20 on a game lately. Right now the prospect of paying $300/$400/$500 for a new console and at least $60 a game, and another $50/$60 annual subscription (or the danger of the "Nintendo tax" on eShop) service is way, WAY too much to swallow, even if I could semi-afford it all right now. With where I am with life and with gaming right now, I'm happy to sit back and let everything play out, then come in if or when the time is right.

Although, the new Kinect looks sexy enough to consider getting the Windows version when that comes out. I'd love to see what sort of Minority Report stuff could come out of that.
Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2013, 04:04:26 PM »
WindyMan has a good point on the games, Microsoft said weeks ago that the full reveal (i.e. games) would be at E3. This was just a teaser for what the system could do.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2013, 04:11:26 PM »
Oh boy, would I kill for a Quantum Leap game.
Gouge away.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2013, 05:46:21 PM »
MS could show Zelda for the One at E3 and I still wouldn't buy it because of the always-online and locked out used games.

Interesting note about Microsoft's presentation.  Didn't they say something about 15 exclusives with 8 being new IP?  Isn't it interesting that they felt the need to indicate that half of them were new franchises?  It's almost like that is some sort of SELLING POINT that one would want to brag about.  Maybe that will get taken into account next time the topic comes up in relation to Nintendo and the apologists come out of the woodwork saying that Nintendo doesn't need to create new IP and that the other guys only do it because their existing IP ain't no good.

Yeah, this presentation was not so much about the games but until relatively recently the idea of a new console's first public reveal treating videogames as an afterthought was unheard of.  Just the fact that they didn't consider the games to be the top priority for the console's first impression is not encouraging to me.  If games were the main focus they probably would have revealed the whole damn system at E3, instead of "saving" that for E3.  The vibe I get is that this is a multimedia center that also plays videogames as opposed to something like the PS2 which was a videogame console that also played DVDs.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2013, 07:33:12 PM »
It's almost like that is some sort of SELLING POINT that one would want to brag about.  Maybe that will get taken into account next time the topic comes up in relation to Nintendo and the apologists come out of the woodwork saying that Nintendo doesn't need to create new IP and that the other guys only do it because their existing IP ain't no good.
1. Bragging about something doesn't make it a selling point.

2. Just because it's new, doesn't mean it will resonate with anyone. What if most of those new IPs Microsoft is trumpeting are Kinect games? Will you still be running your mouth about this?

3. Has anyone said Sony's and Microsoft's IPs weren't good? We've had this discussion 573726272 times. This isn't about quality. Rather, their IPs are generally not as strong as Nintendo's. They don't have anywhere near the history or evergreen status. For the X-millionth time, they're creating because they don't have what Nintendo has. Look at Sony. They tried to make another God of War in Heavenly Sword and it failed to match the former's popularity so they just went back to making God of War games. This is not rocket science, dude. While you keep bemoaning Nintendo's lack of new IPs, Sony and Microsoft continue striving for that kind of stability. These companies only create when they need to. When they don't, we get Super Mario 57, Halo Redux Evolved, and God of War Interquel 3 Ultimate Revenge. That's fine as long as they bring new ideas to the table. They can pump out cookie cutter sequels. They can also blow our mind with original ideas. That has nothing to do with the fact that an IP already exists. It's entirely dependent on what they want to do with it.