Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1199381 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #4300 on: December 03, 2017, 02:11:46 AM »
Mack probably would have been an awesome Luke Cage, but then we wouldn't have had an awesome Mack. And Mack was dropping lines in the 1st of the 2 episodes. real 3.5th wall truths.

Good Season premiere, real interested to know where this is going and how things get back to umm... "normal". Also real curious how this is going to tie in with upcoming movie events, and if Disney is gonna force a green light on that 6th season (and then a movie ;) <appearance - A4>)

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4301 on: December 03, 2017, 03:12:59 AM »
Orville Episode 11

Just as I think the show couldn't get any better it ninja's you.

Really good character development for two people at the same time while reinforcing previous episodes development. Great jokes. Throw in a never seen before super cool space thing and you have an episode that can stand with or rise above the best of Trek.

Seriously, I don't think anybody anywhere has done on TV what this episode has done. I have read up about it but to see it is amazing. You will know it when you see it.

Isaac "Are we, bonding?".
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4302 on: December 03, 2017, 10:23:39 AM »
Wow... The turn around in The Orville has me almost curious enough to check it out.
I guess McFarlane has yet another hit on his hands? Are the ratings good too?

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4303 on: December 03, 2017, 02:43:25 PM »
What turn around? The Orville has always been good.

There is a massive critic-viewer split so big it's a rip in space time. The critic pan it because they couldn't get over the jokes which are meant to bootstrap the characters, internal culture and counter nostalgia so it could be it's own show even though it is not-trek.

I don't really understand what the deal people have with McFarlane but the guy is crazy talented and he knows he is doing. Orville could have been a crap ego vanity project where he plays space Captain on someone else's dime but he didn't. He made a high quality show seasoned with his take on humour which brings to life what could have been a very dry show.

It could have gone very, very, very wrong judging by STD, JJ movies and the "Best" independent/fan movies.

It most episodes he isn't the focus at all with some episodes he gets absurdly little screen time. He really does play Captain where he directs people to solve the problem and you follow that character instead to develop them. They get to be clever, badass, centre of attention. There is no designated main character.

He isn't Picard or Sisko, or Kirk, or Archer, as tempting as it is to play one of them he plays his own captain. He is possibly playing "Himself" but shifting the context of his leadership from running shows and bringing talents together to make something as a captain instead.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4304 on: December 03, 2017, 06:39:16 PM »
The turn around in initial viewer perception as to what the show turned out to be.
Everyone went in thinking it was some sort Star trek parody comedy show, and were shocked that there was little humor and it was more drama than anything. Some were turned off thinking it was sub par, other disappointed it wasn't what they expected, and now I'm hearing it's actually a good show, with moments/episodes that rival some of the best of Star Trek... from Seth "Family Guy" MacFarlane.
That's the turn around. I'm surprised it still going strong in quality, now I'm just curious how the ratings are to see if it gets a 2nd season.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 06:43:53 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4305 on: December 03, 2017, 07:22:08 PM »
What turn around? The Orville has always been good.

There is a massive critic-viewer split so big it's a rip in space time. The critic pan it because they couldn't get over the jokes which are meant to bootstrap the characters, internal culture and counter nostalgia so it could be it's own show even though it is not-trek.

I don't really understand what the deal people have with McFarlane but the guy is crazy talented and he knows he is doing. Orville could have been a crap ego vanity project where he plays space Captain on someone else's dime but he didn't. He made a high quality show seasoned with his take on humour which brings to life what could have been a very dry show.

It could have gone very, very, very wrong judging by STD, JJ movies and the "Best" independent/fan movies.

It most episodes he isn't the focus at all with some episodes he gets absurdly little screen time. He really does play Captain where he directs people to solve the problem and you follow that character instead to develop them. They get to be clever, badass, centre of attention. There is no designated main character.

He isn't Picard or Sisko, or Kirk, or Archer, as tempting as it is to play one of them he plays his own captain. He is possibly playing "Himself" but shifting the context of his leadership from running shows and bringing talents together to make something as a captain instead.

IMO, the 1st 2 episodes of The Orville are absolute trash. However, it definitely turns around starting with Episode 3 & I like it overall. However, I've found the show pretty inconsistent so far. It will have an excellent episode & then follow it up with several mediocre ones (like the Doc & Kids going on a trip or the Alien causing everyone to become infatuated with each other).
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4306 on: December 03, 2017, 11:19:03 PM »
What was the problem with the first 2 episodes? For me it hit the ground running and has continued upwards since.

Sex Alien episode is a bit **** and felt forced. It had a couple crazy scenes that are good but it doesn't quite make up for Rob Lowe. Then there are the "Implications".

The Doctor episode can be a hit or miss depending on how poorly you view kids in shows. While I don't like the kids, the interactions between them and Isaac is gold.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4307 on: December 03, 2017, 11:31:53 PM »
What was the problem with the first 2 episodes? For me it hit the ground running and has continued upwards since.

A couple things, IMO. First, the show wasn't shot particularly well in the 1st two episodes, a lot of long shots that made the sets look pretty bad. You can see an almost immediate correction in the cinematography starting with episode 2 & going into 3 with a bigger focus of close shots & angles that make the sets & costumes look better.

Also, the pilot in particular reminded me way too much of Encounter at Farpoint (which is also terrible) in that the dialogue is so incredibly forced. There's a lot of characters stiffly walking up & shouting "THIS IS MY ONE CHARACTER TRAIT & ROLE!"). It's a pilot, so you have to cut it a bit of slack, but I just don't feel like the characters started having remotely natural dialogue until episode 3. I think it also helped a LOT that the show moved past the " OH, it's so wacky! The Captain & XO are divorced" angle as quickly as possible.

And speaking of the writing, I don't like Seth McFarland's comedy writing. It's a lot of sexual references & body humor, and it just doesn't click w/ me. I've already mentioned that I don't care for really dated 20th century pop culture references in this show, either. I feel like the crudity & referential humor were WAY deemphasized starting with Ep. 3. It feels like someone reined  McFarland in a LOT, & the show's better for it. You still have humor in places, but it's more natural & flows better (such as the Practical Joke pranking or the scene where they kept feeding crazy crap to the 3rd in command). The show maintained its tone of being more off-beat, but also better embraced the speculative fiction & philosophizing I came for.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 11:34:53 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4308 on: December 04, 2017, 12:42:47 AM »
McFarland brought on a lot of behind the scenes talent to hand off to. He "Reined" himself in as planned. He could have made it a vanity project about himself but he didn't.

I must have seen a different show than you did as pilots go, you can't do much better. You have to establish a universe and the divorce was the perfect jumping off point as you get that instant emotional shock to form a connection good or bad. Jokes are made but I never saw the relationship between them as "wacky" as there is some pretty serious undertones which are still being played out.

When you are introducing that many characters you're not going to get that depth. Look at the movie Avengers, pretend you know nothing about comics or previous movies. You see it? That "I do this one thing!" is strong and it had 2 hours to play with. X-men movies are even worse as the characters are their mutant power.

1 45 minute episode to establish is amazing. Right from the second episode they are already exploring other traits and breaking their allotted role to develop them.

I didn't go into this expecting TNG which wouldn't work today, I was expecting not-Trek Seth flavoured and that was exactly what I got.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4309 on: December 04, 2017, 05:51:28 AM »
I liked both the Vacation and the Blue love episode. I like that not every episode is going to have the same tone. There is variety. When I used to watch ds9 years ago, I liked that sometimes you get a Ferengi episode. The tone changes,  but there is some nice character/mythos exploration.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4310 on: December 07, 2017, 12:23:53 AM »
The problem I had with Cupids Dagger is the situation was just too contrived and really, really messed up in the wrong way. You basically have a species of space aliens who are happy go lucky date rapists(As far was we know) who only walked got to away because the heroes weaponized his pheromones for the greater good despite him causing the problem in the first place.

It certainly wasn't about not having enough variety or tonal changes. There is all sorts of unexplored ground created and the conclusion isn't good.

It's much weaker version of the STD Mudd episode where he commits Treason, multi-timeline murder of everyone, piracy, breaking computer security on a military network, espionage, hostage taking, jay walking is in there somewhere. He gets to walk away with his hot rich girlfriend after being forgiven of the con job he pulled on her. Not only that Mudd tries to justify that he hasn't murdered anybody which while "technically true" doesn't cover his other crimes. He doesn't even get a trespass notice to stay out of Federation space.

However with the amount of trust and enjoyment I have with the show I expect this issue to get dealt with latter or I am willing to give it a pass for having one (potentially) bad episode out of a season of 24(?) which is a 5% strike out rate which is very good for a show that isn't Breaking Bad.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4311 on: December 08, 2017, 01:56:01 PM »
GOTHAM Spoiler Joker is BACK!!!
looks like things could get fun again.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4312 on: December 11, 2017, 12:08:57 AM »
Walking Dead S8E8

Not sure how I would rate it... they're following really close to the comic, but also diverging from it again in a few pretty massive ways. Spoilers - Carl got bit by a walker and is about to die, Eugene is still with the savior's, Ezekiel has been taken by the saviors, the Oceanside people are back (never existed in the comics). Things are definitely about to get pretty different...in February.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #4313 on: December 11, 2017, 01:34:55 PM »
Anyone watch American Vandal?  It's a mock documentary around a fictional school where the premise is that a screwball student gets framed for parking lot vandalism of a male anatomy nature.  It's a ridiculous juvenile story and set of characters, but it's balanced really well by how straight they play the Documentary angle of it all.

Episodes are about 35 minutes, and 8 total this season.  I highly recommend if you want a laugh.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4314 on: December 12, 2017, 07:09:06 PM »
Silicon Valley 8/10. Really entertaining show, though annoying because obviously these people are cursed.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #4315 on: December 16, 2017, 08:54:58 PM »
Walking Dead S8E8

Not sure how I would rate it... they're following really close to the comic, but also diverging from it again in a few pretty massive ways. Spoilers - Carl got bit by a walker and is about to die, Eugene is still with the savior's, Ezekiel has been taken by the saviors, the Oceanside people are back (never existed in the comics). Things are definitely about to get pretty different...in February.

I'm not keeping up this season until it hits streaming services, but I have a playful theory that will probably not pan out. There was a fan theory that Rick and Carl are immune to the virus somehow, so this could be an elaborate Game of Thrones-esque red herring to reveal that he was just suffering from an infection and will recover.

Also interestingly, there is a fan petition rolling around to fire the show runner and bring back Carl. I'm inclined to agree this was a poor move, as the show really needed him to wrap up the series and they should frankly be looking to finish things up in a year or two, with how the show has been struggling recently.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4316 on: December 16, 2017, 09:37:15 PM »
Yeah that's not gonna happen. Plus the fans typically hated Carl anyway.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4317 on: December 18, 2017, 02:21:59 AM »
13 Reasons Why (Netflix)

Show about a girl who committed suicide and leaves 13 reasons why she did it.
I started watching this on a whim... and 2 days later, I finished it.
High School based drama, but with a very real message, and an interesting way of playing it all out.
I don't want to say too much about it, but i engaged enough to run through it quickly, so i would definitely recommend it.

There are *show spoilers*scenes of light nudity, mild portrayals of rape, and a graphic suicide scene so be fair warned. most of that comes towards the end.

I feel that the message in the show is a bit mixed, but in the end, the point became clear... or maybe that was because of the "aftershow show" that started playing... either way, it was a good watch, well worth the time if you ask me.

Edit: Damn, this show really did get the message thru to me. Just this morning, someone reached out to me in a situation of desperation where they are making decisions that could ruin/change/influence the rest of their life....
I've already tried to offer what support I could (Not financial... It's a complicated situation) and everything is telling me to steer clear...but it's the holidays, and I feel bad. I feel like I could be one person to maybe get thru to her, but then again, she gotta do what she gotta do.

So conflicted.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 01:32:12 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #4318 on: January 03, 2018, 11:06:00 PM »
So, Happy.

Ex Cop turned Hitman for hire.  Estranged Daughter gets kidnapped, sends her imaginary friend, a purple flying unicorn thing voiced by Parton Oswalt, to find her hero father to save her.

Caught the second episode on a whim, not knowing anything about it.  Started recording it.  Finally caught the first episode tonight, as they had a mini-marathon (SiFi).  There's only four episodes so far.  I am enjoying this.  It's fun.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 12:53:34 AM by UncleBob »
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4319 on: January 04, 2018, 02:59:50 AM »
So, Happy.

Ex Cop turned Hitman for hire.  Estranged Daughter gets kidnapped, sends her imaginary friend, a purple flying unicorn thing voiced by Parton Oswalt, to find her hero father to save her.

Caught the second episode on a whim, not knowing anything about it.  Started recording it.  Finally caught the first episode tonight, as they had a mini-marathon (SiFi).  There's only four episodes so far.  I am enjoying this.  It's fun.

I swear I made a post about this on here somewhere.... Happy!
starring that other cop from L&O SVU that quit the show like 10 years ago
Ex Hero Cop turned alcoholic drug addict vigilante for hire being bothered by his kidnapped daughters (that he didn't know he had?) imaginary friend who's just trying to get him to come find her.

Highly entertaining, and the 4th episode is where things started to get weird? LOL
this is definitely on my watch list for the rest of the 1st season.

Totally came across it on accident... and my daughter somehow knew exactly what this show was.
p.s. It is not for kids...

pre-post edit: found my post about it
https://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=29034.msg930829#msg930829

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4320 on: January 05, 2018, 04:02:51 AM »
LA to Vegas. It's Cheers on a plane.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4321 on: January 05, 2018, 09:47:48 AM »
The Gifted has been renewed for season 2. I called it a competent series, and i stand by that. It does what it does decently but it doesnt really stand out.

My lasting criticism is that it is a huge waste of Amy Acker's talents. She's barely even breaking a sweat in this.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4322 on: January 05, 2018, 12:28:17 PM »
The Gifted has been renewed for season 2. I called it a competent series, and i stand by that. It does what it does decently but it doesnt really stand out.

My lasting criticism is that it is a huge waste of Amy Acker's talents. She's barely even breaking a sweat in this.

I'm behind on this show, but just saw the ep where they mentioned The Hellfire Club.
wasn't that another show planned by Fox? Are they making a X-Men TVU on Fox?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4323 on: January 05, 2018, 07:06:18 PM »
X-Files is back. First episode of season 11 was a little weak, but I've never been as big on the Chris Carter Mythos episodes. Looking forward to the next episode, where one of the Lone Gunmen communicates somehow. Ghost? Alternate Dimension? Faked death?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4324 on: January 05, 2018, 08:53:37 PM »

I'm behind on this show, but just saw the ep where they mentioned The Hellfire Club.
wasn't that another show planned by Fox? Are they making a X-Men TVU on Fox?

That other show isn't proceeding, as far as i know.