Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1198989 times)

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #4225 on: October 04, 2017, 08:49:27 AM »
I need to catch up on season 3 of Dark Matter which I've found to be an excellent show.

Unfortunately Syfy cancelled it with absolutely no reason, it seems because Syfy didn't make the show themselves and it "worked against them".

But never fear, the best DC TV show has finally returned to TV - yes Lucifer has finally come back! It's still not trying to save the world, but its ridiculously jacked up premise works very well now it's found it's groove. It's done what Agents of Shield also managed, and went from a "meh" in early S1 to "this is actually really good" just a season or two later.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4226 on: October 12, 2017, 10:58:57 AM »
Super Girl Season 3 Episode 1

Geez SG is cold as hell. The change in her character is like a car crash which is understandable since she went through an emotional car crash. It should be a pretty interesting character arc for the season not that others are getting left out in the cold as they have their own issues, some related to Kara, some not.

It still doesn't make the techno-babble end last season any better or less dumb but it has made for an interesting change. I am not a fan for even more supers appearing right now.

But damn they introduced someone you instantly hated, for good reason leading to SG doing something that again reinforced her fucked up coldness.

Again Melissa's acting is keeping the show on her shoulders admirably but not quite as single handedly like before.

Did they get a budget boost or did they front load the season?
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4227 on: October 12, 2017, 10:10:50 PM »
Started watching The Orville on Ceric's recommendation.

Ugh...Seth McFarlane. Just when I'm starting to get into this show, a character makes a (to them) 400 year old 20th Century pop culture reference or talks about someone's ****. Then the show's totally lost me again.

The acting's mediocre, the bridge is hilariously awful in the pilot (it's lit & shot better from Ep. 2 onward), and the writing's just...bad. If someone more capable was helming this show, it could be saved. The show is on par with TNG Season 1, but there are some decent ideas here & we haven't had this style of Star Trek in a while. But what's here right now is just incredibly mediocre.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4228 on: October 12, 2017, 10:24:15 PM »
I need to catch up on season 3 of Dark Matter which I've found to be an excellent show.

Unfortunately Syfy cancelled it with absolutely no reason, it seems because Syfy didn't make the show themselves and it "worked against them".

But never fear, the best DC TV show has finally returned to TV - yes Lucifer has finally come back! It's still not trying to save the world, but its ridiculously jacked up premise works very well now it's found it's groove. It's done what Agents of Shield also managed, and went from a "meh" in early S1 to "this is actually really good" just a season or two later.

Dark Matter season 1 and 2 were pretty good. I'm halfay through 3, and I have to say there is some filler. Some episodes seem like retreads on old plotlines. Some are great though.

Maybe Netflix'll buy the show off Syfy and Space Channel. They got Lost in Space coming out sometime, but original content is the name of the game nowadays.

I still haven't seen Discovery, but I welcome the return of the Space Scifi Drama show. It's been absent for too long. I'm tempted to create my own series, but I got to convince some abandoned k-mart owners to use their building. I remember years ago thinking up some good plot-lines for a show to write. I was intrigued by the idea of 'Boldly Going Nowhere' but it never came to fruition.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4229 on: October 12, 2017, 10:27:42 PM »
If you want a great current sci-fi drama I can't recommend The Expanse highly enough. I'm enjoying Discovery, but The Expanse might be my favorite thing on television right now
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #4230 on: October 12, 2017, 10:32:16 PM »
If you want a great current sci-fi drama I can't recommend The Expanse highly enough. I'm enjoying Discovery, but The Expanse might be my favorite thing on television right now

Yeah, I tried watching the 1st season of the Expanse, and I just kind of lost interest halfway in. I stopped watching the show towards the end of the season when I realized I couldn't remember anything that had happened the previous 3-4 episodes.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4231 on: October 13, 2017, 01:07:33 AM »

You have bad, bad tastes if you like Discovery. I only watch it to see the train wreak that it is. Every week a new train ploughs into the wreckage that came before it. It's fascinating to see people watch something so badly written and made while saying it's good.

It makes for a great case study as to how not to do a show.

The thing I laughed hardest about the last episode is that they had so much money that they decided to blow it on showing a uniform getting replicated very up close. You couldn't find a worse way to waste money for something so absurdly trivial.

Started watching The Orville on Ceric's recommendation.

Ugh...Seth McFarlane. Just when I'm starting to get into this show, a character makes a (to them) 400 year old 20th Century pop culture reference or talks about someone's ****. Then the show's totally lost me again.

The acting's mediocre, the bridge is hilariously awful in the pilot (it's lit & shot better from Ep. 2 onward), and the writing's just...bad. If someone more capable was helming this show, it could be saved. The show is on par with TNG Season 1, but there are some decent ideas here & we haven't had this style of Star Trek in a while. But what's here right now is just incredibly mediocre.

I rather like Seth McFarlane. His humour isn't for everyone but no one else on TV does what he does. Dick jokes aside he is a pretty good actor although he is far from master-class and with the recent episodes he has managed to show some of that air of command. He isn't instantly a Captain like the others as he is emotionally fucked but it gives his character space to evolve and see how people get there.

You don't get that far in Hollywood without some serious talent given the number of shows he has personally done that has been successful. He is also on pretty good terms with alot of A list actors so we will be seeing more of them as they have alot of fun as a bonus.

As for the references what else are they going to use? It is strangely retro but it serves a very good purpose as scaffolding as they construct more contemporary references and humour. You can't have in-jokes if you have no idea what the original joke is. Plus I find it rather charming in it's cheesiness. I don't see people complain about TNG still playing poker, violins, cowboys, Shakespeare, Doyle, baseball etc.

I am very happy with the Orville. I don't actually want more TNG as that is more than super dry and so done, but I do want more Star Trek and the Orville delivers with it's own flavour something STD straight up isn't because it isn't Trek. It's nothing but branding. It is so sad that official Trek has become so worthless and abused.

The later episodes of Orville are increasingly more TNG like with a touch of that DS9 darkness but the light heartedness is still there and they use it to explore characters. These people are alot more real that the TNG crew with their horse play and interacting with each other to satisfy their curiosity.

The writing is far, far more clever than you give it credit even in the pilot. Unlike JTrek the Orville takes the time to set things up for a pay off, something JJ is incapable of doing with his obsession with the mystery box which he has infected both Trek and Star Wars. Orville has already had an episode where the crew doesn't win with continued consequences down the line. It has also been bitter sweet with characters suffering emotional harm as these people are not invincible.

I love the security officer Alara. So much utility and fun. I really look forward to her doing something every time she goes on an away mission. Unlike Worf who exists to get beaten up to show the power of who ever the bad is, she is the opposite.

Other characters get alot of airtime so it isn't the Captain/Seth show. It is very team oriented. He also steps back from writing and directing post pilot to diversify the stories as well as it's presentation.

Again people just don't give Seth the credit where it's due because he shakes up people's sensitivities which leads to self reflection that alot of people don't like challenges to their world-view and people don't like being wrong especially when they profess how open minded they are.

In the last episode of STD the writers gave you a literal mystery box containing some cheap tricks in a sad attempt to get you to like the characters while making absolutely utter nonsense. It's something I don't expect Orville to do as it is such a cheap and obvious ploy.

As for the sets they are adequate and I rather they spent money on people than some flash on a far more limited budget. I wouldn't be surprised if STD has 3x the budget or more.

Yeah, I tried watching the 1st season of the Expanse, and I just kind of lost interest halfway in. I stopped watching the show towards the end of the season when I realized I couldn't remember anything that had happened the previous 3-4 episodes.

For some reason I didn't get pass the first episode. I don't dislike it or anything but I was very disinterested as to what was happening. Maybe it's because they dump you in the middle of something without any human connection  as it was very much just something happening you have to instantly contextualise not helped it was politics.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4232 on: October 13, 2017, 03:45:31 AM »
I was the one who was championing The Expanse initially and i totally get the criticism. Like POI it spends its early episodes worldbuilding, but unlike almost any other show it doesn't even attempt to explain some things like the language the Belters use.

In early S2 it becomes heavily action driven - a point i hope Insanolord is at now - resulting in a fantastic space battle between the Rocinante and a stealth ship hiding behind a space station

The political angle is very un-subtle but given recent events it makes it surprisingly more accurate and "real". The show spends a lot of time between each of the camps and openly goes down a DS9-like route in suggesting "nobody is right, everybody is a different shade of wrong".

Dark Matter season 1 and 2 were pretty good. I'm halfay through 3, and I have to say there is some filler. Some episodes seem like retreads on old plotlines. Some are great though.

Maybe Netflix'll buy the show off Syfy and Space Channel. They got Lost in Space coming out sometime, but original content is the name of the game nowadays.

The producers tried to put it to Netflix, and there was even an idea with MGM about merging it into the Stargate franchise somehow (with the idea of making more stargate later) but it didn't happen because of "contract reasons" - the sets are being torn down and the cast has moved on.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4233 on: October 13, 2017, 04:06:02 AM »
POI got away with it because every opening had a very quick and dirty run down as to the premise of the show. The first episode doesn't open up in some event, it goes straight for the human connection so you had someone to relate to or attach yourself to.

Everybody understands bullies or some enemy and the power fantasy of turning the tables. It's very basic and a great way to introduce someone. The Orville does this too with the emotional hit of betrayal setting up the character arc, again to form that connection with the viewer.

Ask yourself how immediately relate-able is Picard? Not really as he is pretty much perfect out the gate. He doesn't really change until the TNG movies where he starts becoming imperfect.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4234 on: October 13, 2017, 06:45:35 AM »
The Expanse is similar to this. Holden gets thrown into the centre of something he doesn't quite understand and by end of season 2 goes full Ahab, Weller has to try and find his place and purpose in the universe again after being so detached for so long, Amos is a truly fucked up character because he knows his moral compass is busted and has to lean on everyone else to steer him right - the big difference is Expanse never tried to start the show with setting up the characters, it just rolled straight into it and let the dense universe explain itself.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #4235 on: October 13, 2017, 08:25:23 AM »
I'll give The Orville this: I got to about halfway through the 4th episode last night before I had to go to bed, and the show has shown noticeable improvement. The pilot & episode 2 are pretty bad, but episode 3 was pretty decent (even if it is kind of a knockoff of 2 different early-ish TNG episodes) & episode 4 seems promising enough so far. It's growing on me.

As for the pop culture references, my problem with them is that TNG referenced works that had been around for (at that time) 100 years or more. Sherlock Holmes, Shakespeare, etc. were viewed as core pieces of the human experience & were treated with appropriate dignity.

Orville, on the other hand, treats them like it's an episode of Family Guy: "Oh! Look at Dora the explorer over there!" "I'm with you Obi Wan", etc. They're just references. It's especially annoying because there ARE moments when the pop culture references are used well, like when the captain talks about how Kermit the Frog inspires him as a leader or when the Rankin-Bass Rudolf special is used to convey a larger narrative point.

I want to see more of the latter & less of the former. And seriously, who's going to remember Dora the Explorer in 400 years? Just stop having your characters talk like smarmy assholes!

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #4236 on: October 13, 2017, 08:41:50 AM »
Changing gears a bit, I've also been watching all the episodes of the new DuckTales, and so far it's excellent. The animation is fluid, the stories have been well-written and genuinely funny, & the voice acting (despite the nephews sounding way too old) is spot-on. The writers do an excellent job slowly building up certain longer story arcs in the background.

There are just 2 small gripes I have with this show, though:

1. Scrooge so far is BARELY in this show, as is Donald. They're both guest stars at best & extended cameos at worst, which is nothing new for Donald after the original series but he's actually AT the mansion now so it's annoying. And Scrooge was easily the most interesting & beloved character of the original show. Could they really not get David Tennant in the booth for more than 5 minutes?

2. The globetrotting & treasurer hunting (so fat) is nonexistent. They do it for about 10 minutes in the pilot, & every story since has been in Duckberg. It's disappointing as someone who loves the original show FOR its adventure stories.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #4237 on: October 15, 2017, 11:11:18 AM »
...and right after I complained about it, the next episode of DuckTales 2017 prominently featured Donald & Scrooge as the family was abroad on an adventure. Much better.  :D

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4238 on: October 20, 2017, 01:11:19 PM »
STD Episode 5: Choose your fucking **** Mudd.

They actually remembered to try to set things up this episode but they do it for things that are literally blindingly obvious like the Captain's sensitivity to light that apparently he could have gotten fixed at any bloody time. They spend 2 minutes doing the CSI thing where they explain to each other what they already know for the nth time after they have been using the drive for who knows how many times.

Saru gets the idiot ball when he orders a jump despite being told if he does they might not have a way to escape. However they do have a way to bypass this but requires someone to mess with their genetics a little. He willingly jumps in without an escape plan only saved by the very thing he ordered them not to do even though what he did order was impossible. So Khan(eugenics wars) is a thing again but so is Elon Musk.

Space is really big but somehow when the captain escapes he manages to stumble upon the discovery. Saru uses a bunch of techno babble "Reasons" his way to a conclusion it is captain instead of just questioning why the other fighters are shooting one of their own.

The Klingon are the universe's worse spies. Instead of listening devices and scanners in the walls they place a bug on a literal bug that Mudd keeps as a pet so they can somehow keep Mudd alive when he should have died ages ago. The captain figures he is being spied on by Mudd by dropping some BS info which gets repeated to him when he gets tortured instead of assuming everything is getting recorded without the bug on the bug.

Mudd isn't some cheerful clueless conman anymore who stumbled on robot wifes to bone and being a general nuisance to Kirk like a proto-Q. Instead he is an idiot who buys a moon on a loan to get the attention of some chick who he couldn't afford in the first place. Because everything must be dark and edgy Mudd has to be angry with the Federation for the war the Federation didn't start and somehow knew a dark secret about the captain even though he is fucking Mudd.

I honestly don't care that they said **** twice and **** once but use it to enhance something instead of dropping them for no reason. If anything it should have been the captain screaming **** you when he gets tortured. Or a holy **** when someone gets their head stomped in.

Philippa is on the list of the greatest captains because of could they have to find a contrived way to reference her and name drop a bunch of captains.

The design of the Klingon ships have nothing in common with each other. It's whatever the intern came up with with the only rule being it has to be huge. It is also another ship the dumbass torch bearer could have called so they didn't need to starve for 6 months which greatly help him to lose everything.

Boytoy(Dude has no name) who is escaping with the captain suddenly gets super weak so the captains says he will come back for him. When he gets back they come under attack again but he isn't tired anymore fighting a Klingon hand to hand to a standstill until he is saved. I can only assumed he faked being tired so he could confront his rapist but could have never possibly known that she would show up where she did.

Ripper dehydrates itself from the stress of being used as the drive. Instead of keeping it as a specimen for furtherer study they release it by dumping out the airlock with some spores where the Ripper somehow rehydrates itself in space even when earlier they show that water getting squeezed out. Eugenics is cool now but torture isn't unless it is convenient. Also how the hell did the Ripper not escape since it can travel the spore network at will.

Nobody making this show has any idea what the hell they are doing.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4239 on: October 21, 2017, 04:38:18 PM »
I'm very much enjoying Inhumans. 

I nearly didn't start it due to the bad initial reactions but Marvel's strike rate is pretty good when it comes to their content so I thought I'd start it and see where it went.  I'm pleased I did too.  I'm having a great time with it.  It's certainly nowhere near top tier Marvel, but it's keeping me happily entertained.  Though I do think having it as a short season is certainly a good thing. 

Oh, and Lockjaw is just adorable. 

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4240 on: October 21, 2017, 05:19:14 PM »
Is it enjoyable in an "it's so bad it's almost good again" type of way?

or is it actually just actually an entertaining and not as bad as it started show?

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4241 on: October 21, 2017, 05:33:46 PM »
Is it enjoyable in an "it's so bad it's almost good again" type of way?

or is it actually just actually an entertaining and not as bad as it started show?

I would say the latter.  As I said, don't go expecting top tier quality television.  But just enjoy a short series for what it is and it's entertaining.  At least it is for me.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4242 on: October 21, 2017, 05:58:58 PM »
As far as the Orville crew members liking 20th/21st century entertainment. It is hard to say what people will still like and remember fondly. There are still references to Nosferatu and Metropolis all over the place. You would have to think of this as a Golden Age of cinematic entertainment from a future perspective. I would imagine in the near future video games and virtual reality are going to get scary real. 20-40 years from now we're going to look at current games like they're 16 bit games.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4243 on: October 22, 2017, 02:32:18 PM »
Arrow - Did Oliver just ask Diggle to take over as GA because he has a child even though Diggle has one himself?! That's just rude.

Most the CW DC shows (Black Lightning excluded for now) continue to be middling for one reason or another:

Arrow gets stuck in stupid drama needlessly - if people just opened up and said things the characters would be better people.
Supergirl pinned its entire last season around Kara's relationship.
The Flash did the same with Iris and Barry.

Legends is the only one that decided to skip that and actually started this season with "sometimes we screw up for the better" - they know exactly where they are going and ran with it.

I already dropped Gotham because its simply not changing its weird tonal issues i've had since S1.

So i'm still back to thinking Lucifer is the best DC show on TV with Legends as a close #2.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4244 on: October 22, 2017, 09:40:37 PM »
Legends is the only other DC show I watch other than Supergirl and it's great in a fucked up way like the team is.

It's delightfully fun and serious at the same time. Even though it is pretty insane their universe does have internal rules and it follows them. The worse episodes were when they tried to do a DC Universe cross-over. Not to say that cross overs are inherently bad as the legion of doom arc was pretty good.

The first season does come off rather artificial in it's handling of relationships and drama. They give everyone a flaw of some sort then they play that one thing almost to the point where that is the only thing that they are as they go back to that well over and over again. The best/worst example of this is Hawk girl who is insanely one note.

The rest of the team do get better as they grow and get over the fake drama. They still bicker and **** around but they are much more natural about it. Rip is easily my favourite character as he owns every scene he shows up in.

"Sometimes we screw up for the better" is an excellent motto for the team and what the show is.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4245 on: October 24, 2017, 04:23:41 AM »
Mick is still my favourite for how much of a buffoon he is and he still says things in such a blankly straight-faced way. In episode one the rest of the team just said, to find him, to "follow the STD's and reports of petty larceny" and just shrugged their shoulders at it.

Lucifer actually features Maze - a demon in human form - going to Canada, who thinks Canada is a city and not a country because she doesn't understand how the world works - to try something new because she's "bored with her life of excess alcohol, knives and threesomes".

These two shows would be great next to each other actually saying it out loud.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4246 on: October 26, 2017, 07:00:10 AM »
STD Episode 6: Spock's not home.

It opens with Titly and the criminal jogging down the hallway wearing "DISCO" T-shirts. They talk about the path the captain's chair for the cadet. The convict tells her personality isn't going to get her into the captain's chair. Yeah sure thing, not like captains being sound of mind is a thing in Trek, it just so happens Admirals are crazier.

They get lunch and the computer spells out what they ordered down to nutritional information twice in this episode in what I assume is an attempt to make a funny character in this sad, grim show. It failed.

The captain and toyboy is back on the Klingon ship blasting away, but the different clothes, lack of injury and glitches in a background immediately give away the fake out. They kill count, we find out toyboy is named Ash which is something we should have known last episode but I guess they wanted another one of those mystery boxes. The captain then offers him the job of chief of security because he kills Klingon good which isn't a bad reason but why didn't the captain replace the last idiot while the corpse was still warm?

Michaels meets Ash the boytoy now CoS. Ash knows who she is helpfully reminding the audience yet again of her crimes (Its in the contract). He says he doesn't care other than about the present and offers to shake her hand. Somehow serving with a Starfleet vessel for a better part of a decade has not taught her this basic social gesture of goodwill to shake hands as she stares bewildered. Titly has to kick her to get her to move.

She is a fucking xeno-anthropologist
, a person who studies other species yet she didn't spend maybe a day or two to antiquate herself with fellow humans while having a human foster mother. Not only is she stupid, she is a wilfully ignorant science officer. Fucking Spock understands more about emotion and human interactions than her while cracking jokes and burns McCoy.

Sarek gets blown up by a super racist logic terrorist who does that inject self so you explode thing. Sarek force fields up at the last moment but is injured deeply so the Katra thing happens which makes Michaels appear in a memory of Sarek who then Matrix her.

They got to save Sarek to they make a psychic power booster out of nowhere like it is nothing while mushroom man looks like he has been eating his own products. They spore drive because they have to go fast. They arrive but can't take the ship in because they would explode somehow. But somehow they are not the closet ship that can respond as Admiral Cornwell is already there waiting. She berates her for using a top secret ship to rescue Sarek and for fighting the war while maybe kicking too much ass.

btw, captain finally got his eyes fixed like it was nothing after getting fucked in the eyes so the entire thing about going blind when exposed to bright light was bullshit.

Since the ship would blow up for "Reasons" and probes aren't going to find Sarek in any meaningful time they send Michaels, Titly and Ash who is also a top rate pilot into the nebula. Michaels makes contact but they have another matrix fight. She loses by default because for drama they pull her out because life signs. Ash says when you're close to dying the last thing you see is your worse regret. So she goes back in for the third time, more matrix fighting and Sarek is finally beaten so he revels his greatest regret.

It turns out Sarek got given the shitty choice of choosing between Spock and her to go into space with the Vulcans because Vulcans are super racist. He chooses Spock because he is forced to choose logic. Yet somehow Sarek is also a racist despite advocating for humans, having a human wife and Spock and Michaels who also calls him a racist. Spock at no point shows up in this episode as Michaels attempt to enter isn't important at all. This truth finally wakes Sarek long enough to activate the distress beacon.

Michaels gets really mega pissy and entitled about not flying with the Vulcan and comes close to disowning Sarek, mocking him while he is in a hospital bed by calling him father super sarcastic. Yeah your father fucked you over and not the super racist Vulcans. **** you Michaels. What a shitty person. Sarek gets a burn on Michaels because he knew she was going to be a shithead no matter what he said.

Admiral Cornwell sleeps the captain. While he sleeps she checks out his scars which no doubt is only mystery box. He freaks out and pulls a phaser on her. She freaks out and gives him the option of leaving command own his own or forced out to get the crazy sorted.

Oh the mission Sarek was going to? It was to broker peace with two of the Klingon houses to help end the war. Sarek to too injured so Cornwell goes in his place. This is a trap duurr. The Klingon slaughter everybody including the hosts except Cornwell. They somehow do this under the nose of an advance race. Klingons grind through some dialogue.

Discovery gets word of her capture. Saru recommends that they go rescue her but he declines because it has to be a double trap. For the viewers this is a blindly obvious lie as he is throwing her to the wolves so he can keep his command knowing she more than likely didn't file any paperwork. Captain continues to sleep with his phaser.

Everyone is 100% racist all the time except humans who are racist 50% of the time.

This episode is special in finding innovative ways to be bad. This **** is getting a second season somehow. Eat a fucking phaser.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4247 on: October 29, 2017, 08:46:53 AM »
I heard a rumor that they're in the Mirror Dimension.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4248 on: October 29, 2017, 12:52:13 PM »
It can't be the mirror universe as evil beard Spock would have eaten a phaser than live in it from the sheer stupidity of it all.*

More seriously, any mirror universe still has to follow whatever rules the prime universe has and runs parallel events. What happens in STD violates both TOS and the Kelvin universe in every way possible mirror or no mirror.

They never should have used the name Star Trek in the first place as it has nothing to do with it. Even if it wasn't Trek branded the show is fundamentally bad on every level. How can people write something so broken and still get paid. It's not even amateur hour, its wilful destruction.

Just quarantine the damn thing in its own universe and use it as a specimen as to how not to create a show.

*Spock really would.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4249 on: November 01, 2017, 02:53:14 AM »
STD Episode 7: Mudd again, Mudd again, Mudd again, stupid again

Time loop episode and the first "Bottle" episode where WAAARARRAR is barely mentioned (Federation is winning). This is also the first "Maybe acceptable but still ****" episode. Not to say it isn't stupid or knows social relationships or doesn't breaks its own rules again or focuses on the wrong part because contract obligations I guess.

Michaels is at party Titly tells her about her horny secrets so that Michaels will finally have a date with Boytoy Ash from security.

Blah blah space whale, science beams it into hanger without consideration of whale needs. Whale vomits bunny suited man who starts killing everyone he can get to. Taunts captain then blows up the ship. Any self respecting Trek person will know what's going on.

Back at party blah blah blah called to bridge Blah Mushroom Man  starts shouting about the whale. Blah blah ship blows up. Steal ship for Klingon to payoff loan. Blah time crystal in whale, 4D aliens :lol: Michaels never fallen in love blah

Ship blows up.

Ship blows up.

Ship blows up.

Ship blows up.

Ship blows up.

The highlight of this episode is a montage of Lorca getting killed repeatedly including one time he is beamed into space. However as everything with STD most of the deaths are uncreative as Mudd just shoots him while the crew mostly passively looks on.

They force some character "Development" with Michaels by requiring her to get close to Ash because Ash doesn't believe Stamos request when asked about details of a Mudd crime because... Klingon prison??? Somehow he treats this as a personal information that only Michaels can get by dancing.

The super big problem with this episode is that it completely focus on the wrong character. If this was Ground Hog Day it would be like following Andie MacDowell as she goes about her day while Bill Murray shows up once in a while to hit on her. Stamos is Bill Murray but we don't get to see him do crazy **** because we are not watching him nor do we see him save the day other than being a macguffin to Mudd.

Suddenly the show finds it is running out of time so half a plan materialises out of nowhere and somehow everyone is in the know but Ash dies so they improvise a a way to get Mudd to reset time again by Michaels killing herself after saying the bounty on her is worth more than the technology :lol:.

A plan materialises again out of magic. The crew explains to Mudd how they beat him by using "Non-critical sub-systems" and calling Stella whose dad has a bounty on Mudd.

The crew is out of the loop and Mudd is for now neutralise by Stella. Lorca instead of giving a shoot on sight order should Starfleet ever sees him again sends him on his merry way. No even a "I better not see you ever" as Lorca isn't even there as it is Ash sending him on his way. No black site for you for knowing one of the Federation's greatest secrets or any number of crime he commits.

This is super extremely dumb as Mudd now knows the inner workings of the Spore Drive but not enough to build one himself. Given the information he probably now has because :lol: they didn't pat him down for a storage device or wipe his brain he could sell it to Klingon all the same at a reduced fee so they have a jumping board to reverse engineer it. The Klingon still know about him so they could kidnap him to see what he knows.

Ending Mega Stupid out of Stupid.