Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1200046 times)

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #4100 on: May 18, 2017, 06:20:25 AM »
AOSI rather like Radcliffe. A man who tries his best to do good but gets caught up in the science and doesn't think far enough ahead. He is a complex character who is very self aware of what he has done and does his best to atone while trying to keep a level of quality of life for himself. I will miss him.

Ophelia broke down all too easily and it was far to rushed. I think we will see her again hopefully mellowed out after spending time in hell. Or the Russian might clone her as he has run off with a lot of her/Fritz's technology. She has had a great arc because she was always evolving resulting in massively different person by the end.

Seeing that she is made of the Dark Hold it is disappointing no matter what she did GR was coming after her. It doesn't help the DH turns you insane even if you are a robot. It's good that they can finally move on from it though.

The switch out with Fritz and Jemma was almost master class acting. They really sold it and for a while I brought it.

Were those guy literally Men in Black? Looks like the team got RED so off to Space Prison.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4101 on: May 18, 2017, 07:35:26 AM »
I totally agree it needed 30 extra minutes. Mallory Jensen was absolutely perfect, the way she kept flipping between those different states with such ease made me sad to see her go.

AOS is moving to Fridays (Inhumans will be there too). Sadly with a reduced budget.

Jemma, once again, proved she is the best actor in the show.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 08:04:22 AM by Plugabugz »

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #4102 on: May 18, 2017, 10:49:30 AM »
I'll second the comments that the AoS finale needed more time to not feel rushed (especially regarding Matrix Ward getting an abrupt departure with no closure, Fitz being told to basically suck it up after the realization he has the capability to be a monster (I dyed my hair! - Daisy ::) ), a somewhat frantic fight that ends pretty briskly for one of the most interesting villains in the show).  That said, Radcliffe's end sequence is probably one of the most stark and impactful in the series, rivaling S3's Hive death in space.   Despite that, it was a mostly satisfying season ending which leaves a lot of tasty questions for the next season.

What was the deal Coulson made with the Ghost Rider?

What happened to our Russian robot friend?

Where on earth IS Coulson & Co?  Or is it JUST Coulson in SPAAAAAAACE?

Is Daisy the poster child of Inhuman threat on Earth now?

This isn't the last we've seen Ghost Rider, right? 

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4103 on: May 18, 2017, 01:30:45 PM »
Ghost Rider needs a Netflix spin-off.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4104 on: May 18, 2017, 03:58:32 PM »
Blindspot is just stupid now. Somehow the bad guys managed to smuggle "nuclear material" into the country, stage a terrorist attack to kill off all senior government figures so their plants can be in place and then launch a missile FROM SPACE! to ignite all that material, wipe out the government and "destroy half the eastern seaboard"

Never mind that the character from the beginning of the season who had the child abuse storyline..... he watched the tape showing the abuse, thought about leaving, didn't, and then basically went back to work. No change in his character at all. Like it never even happened.

I'm prepared to put up with the insanity from the DC CW shows because that's what it goes for, but this tries to be serious faced and then go batshit anyway.

This is #1 to be dropped alongside Gotham.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #4105 on: May 19, 2017, 01:46:09 AM »
This isn't a new show, but I noticed it was on Amazon Prime. Unsolved Mysteries 9/10

Great show, Robert Stack standing around in the shadows in a trench coat.

This show gave me the heebie jeebies back in the day. I'll have to check it out again to see if it still gives me the chills. That music. That voiceover...

Someone was just ID'd recently that was featured on the show. It wasn't because of the show, but it just shows what longevity and reach it had:

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/05/11/woman-who-died-after-being-hit-by-2-cars-in-huntington-beach-is-identified-after-27-years/
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4106 on: May 19, 2017, 03:07:59 AM »
I read that article in Robert Stack's voice.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4107 on: May 24, 2017, 03:38:57 AM »
That was a pretty badass episode of Supergirl.

The solution was **** and thinking about it makes my head hurt a little as to how stupid it is.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4108 on: May 25, 2017, 06:08:46 AM »
*raises hand*

Excuse me, I have a question about the Supergirl finale!

Why did they decide that loading the atmosphere with lead was a good idea?  Lead is poisonous to humans, hence the condition known as "lead poisoning".  What over paid genius decided that humanity had suddenly developed immunity to it and that flooding the atmosphere with a toxic chemical would be fine?

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4109 on: May 25, 2017, 06:21:54 AM »
Not giving mon-el breathing equipment and a sexy body suit was a massive ??? moment.

But yeah, atomizing the Lead would have poisoned everyone.

The whole ending was dumb with a capital D.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4110 on: June 02, 2017, 08:15:51 PM »
I'm now 4 episodes into Season 6 of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine putting me at around the 75% mark of the series or so. I get why this series is so popular with a lot of people though at times it makes decisions I feel are odd or just seem to be set-up to allow for conflict later. I'm not sure what oohhboy is referring to about that character he vaguely alluded to as explaining the Bajorans and why they act why the do. There's nothing about the Bajorans that I've really felt needed explaining or seemed off from the time I've been watching so maybe this person has already appeared and it was too lowkey for me to realize it or this person still has yet to appear. I keep waiting for it ever since he mentioned this.

Season 3 is definitely a highlight of show as it works towards its first sort of climax in The Die Is Cast. A lot of elements in the past couple seasons kind of lead up to that. It's odd that it isn't the finale of Season 3 but instead it continues on for another 6 episodes or so with some low key episodes aside from the season finale which starts to play up the potential danger of the Founders. Season 4 then seems to begin some reshuffling of the show. Worf joins changing up the dynamic and the Trek universe is also shaken up a bit via Klingon relations. However, the overall feeling of the season seems to be a step back from the roll Season 3 on had been on until it slowed down its momentum. It isn't until close to the midpoint of Season 5 when the show seems to ramp up back to the sort of momentum it had in Season 3 with a big shift in Alpha Quadrant dynamics as the Dominion makes a friend. The ending to Season 5 and the beginning of Season 6 so far has been a pretty bold choice and not something you could really do on any other Trek show set on a spaceship. It's definitely heading into more serialized territory which is a smart decision story wise. I think its part of the reason why I've always like Enterprise so much because it began to grow a history and be more serialized as it went on.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4111 on: June 02, 2017, 09:50:18 PM »
Deep Space 9 does a great job of building its world like that. The pieces slowly fall into place over the first few seasons as it moves slowly toward its inevitable final form. Season 6 might be the best of them, though I could see the argument for any of the final four seasons being number 1. You're inching closer to what I consider the high point of all of Star Trek and one of the greatest episodes of television ever made, which is coming up later in the season.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4112 on: June 02, 2017, 09:51:31 PM »
Another big strength of the show compared to other Trek is the supporting cast. Other Trek series may have a few returning characters but their appearances are often limited. Deep Space Nine has a much richer supporting crew that you'd almost think some of them would have been promoted to series regular with their name on the opening credits. Since it is on a space station, it allows for having a supporting cast of non-Starfleet officers whereas the other Trek series would have more supporting characters as Starfleet officers and on the ship since they were more likely to be re-encountered that way. Yes, there were other aliens and enemies they may re-encounter but those appearances were often quite limited. One of my favorite recurring characters in a Trek show was Shran the Andorrian in Enterprise and yet I think his number of appearances was around 9 or so over that whole run. It's the nature of a show with a mobile home base. The stationary base of Deep Space Nine allows for a growing supporting cast and good on the writers for realizing and taking advantage of it. (I was also bugged about a character seemingly being familiar to me on Deep Space Nine and I looked up the actor to find out it was Jeffrey Combs who plays Weyoun of the Vorta who plays Shran in Enterprise. That's why I recognized him. I was surprised to see just how many characters and how much of an impact Combs has had in various Trek series.)

Frankly, the supporting cast often seems to outshine the main cast and may be the biggest secret weapon of DS9's appeal. Dukat, Garak, Rom, Nog, Keiko, Martok, Weyoun, Leeta, Vedek Wynn, Vedek Bareil, and Ziyal all really help liven up the proceedings on the show. Not everyone is a winner though. Eddington took awhile to go anywhere. Cassidy Yates has seemed to fade away and I don't really miss her. The Grand Nagus kind of annoys me with his voice and seems at odds sometimes with this universe and mood of the show. Still, the majority are pretty great so good on the writers. A strong supporting cast like that can really do a lot for a show.

The other interesting thing about DS9 is how much it is interested in Trek history and its mythology. Not only does it show that actions have consequences from the story and situations the characters created for this series find themselves in but it's also willing to do this from storylines in TNG and even the Original Series (particularly the Mirror Universe for which it has been slowly crafting a neat little storyline of its own). If you like TNG then you really do owe it to yourself to watch this series as it is the best sequel to that series as it continues and deals with a lot of elements that show introduced. Voyager went to a completely different area of space with a different tone of survival in uncharted areas with very little crossover with the Trek shows that had come before (or were airing at the same time like DS9). Enterprise was set before all this and was about establishing some of the history that lead to all these other shows. With TNG, I know Roddenberry really didn't want to acknowledge the original series much in the beginning of its run but loosened up on that as the show established itself more as its own thing allowing the writers to delve into some of that past history.

DS9 seems to be the culmination of that as the show becomes a less focused on commenting about contemporary issues through a sci-fi setting or the crew encountering some sci-fi concept. It's focused more on the politics of this universe such as the diplomacy, maneuvering, balance of power, posturing and trying to keep the peace. It's trying to really broaden out the scope of what life might be like in this universe when you are stuck in one place and can't really escape a situation by piloting the starship to a new part of space. It's also interested in expanding what life is like for some of the species in it like Bajorans, Cardassians, Klingons, and Ferengi. That willingness to really get into what has come before really is what makes this show special.

If I had to compare it to another show, I think Person of Interest might be the closest match. It could touch on high sci-fi concepts like AI or social commentary like privacy while engaging in intrigue with different factions and shifting power yet it still did this by showing the growth of the main characters in it how their various actions and past led up to the situations they would face or find themselves in each new mission.

I'm not about to declare it the Best Trek series yet. We'll see how it all plays out and I still have some negatives in my mind about it that I haven't got into much here. However, I will say that after wishing someone would create a new Trek series for over a decade now, finally watching DS9 has felt like that wish being granted. This show has got me fired about Trek again that it's got me thinking about watching Voyager again and finally going through that series to get more of my Trek fix. It's got me thinking about rewatching TNG again since it's probably been 15 years since I've watched that series and I'd like to see those 6 and 7th seasons again to see how they were intermingling with DS9's early work. Recently, the trailer for Star Trek Discovery was released. I must say that I don't have much faith in that show. It looks like its more interested in copying the style and tone of the latest Trek films than in building on further what TNG/DS9 has created for a Trek Universe. Sure, the effects and visuals look great compared to what I'm seeing in DS9 but nothing about indicates the creative forces behind it understand the appeal of these earlier Trek series. Worse, they seem to be making the mistake for which Enterprise got a lot of hate by setting it in the past before TOS. Part of the reason why the Star Wars prequels were rejected by a lot of people is that what people wanted were more stories with the original cast of Luke, Leia, Han and Chewie. Its why the latest sequels have gotten such big buzz and people excited. (Although Force Awakens dropped the ball a lot on that expectation yet, even with that disappointment, the fact that Luke may play a big part of Episode 8 is still getting me excited for this next film). Guess I'll see how DS9 ends soon enough but I don't get why writers don't want to carry on from that point or even go a bit further in the future from it.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4113 on: June 02, 2017, 09:54:28 PM »
Finally, the other thing I really felt like commenting about it is that while watching the series, it occurred to me that Garak is like the equivalent of me in mafia games. There are quite a few things I could draw a parallel to between my actions and his and it has totally endeared me to his character even more.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4114 on: June 02, 2017, 09:58:09 PM »
Garak might be the best character on the show even though he's mostly off to the side. The depth of the cast is incredible, and there's no better testament to Deep Space 9's writing staff than Worf. They fleshed out his character a lot more in 4 seasons than the TNG staff was able to in 7.

J.P. Corbran

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #4115 on: June 02, 2017, 10:03:06 PM »
I always liked Keiko on tng. Seems like a genuine down to earth person
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4116 on: June 02, 2017, 10:06:06 PM »
I always liked Keiko on tng. Seems like a genuine down to earth person

I have never seen anyone say anything positive about Keiko O'Brien before this post.

J.P. Corbran

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #4117 on: June 02, 2017, 10:14:14 PM »
Maybe im thinking of her on MASH instead  ???

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4118 on: June 02, 2017, 11:38:34 PM »
What's wrong with Keiko? I rather like the O'Briens. One of the very few married couples in Star Trek. It's kind of nice to see that home life perspective. Everyone else is widowed or constantly hooking up and getting down with whatever hot species catches their eye.

Actually, another thing that seems a bit different with Deep Space 9 is sexuality. For some reason, the Star Trek universe comes across as a sort of chaste universe. At least, I realize that is the impression I've formed on it since DS9 has challenged that notion. Even when there is a romantic subplot of the week and some character falls deeply in love with someone the crew encounters that week, the courtship itself is a bit of kissing, some handholding or hugging and just a lot of talking. I'm probably misremembering things and I'm pretty sure characters in TNG were in bed with one another and T'Pol and Trip were hooking up on Enterprise but, in the end, romances always seemed pretty mild and PG whereas DS9 seems to be more PG-13. Perhaps what truly exemplified the difference for me was an episode where Quark and his Klingon ex-wife show up in Bashir's sick bay for medical treatment due to the wild Klingon sex with Quark a bit battered and then Worf and Dax show up also battered from their wild Klingon sex. In an episode I just finished watching Odo and another changling have a talk about intimacy among the solids versus the great link and the changling is curious about Odo's intimacy with a solid. Now that comes off as awkward because I don't really want to know about Odo's sex life but the show has no problem getting into the topic of character's intimate moments.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4119 on: June 02, 2017, 11:47:23 PM »
The more serialized nature of DS9 allowed them to do more with romantic relationships than was really possible in more episodic shows. They could include them as subplots across multiple episodes because the audience was more used to that kind of thing. Worf and Dax, Sisko and Kasidy, even Rom and Leeta, all made possible by the different format. Even the Trip and T'Pol relationship on Enterprise you mentioned really didn't start until that show became more serialized in its later seasons.

J.P. Corbran

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4120 on: June 03, 2017, 01:05:26 AM »
Keiko is horrible to O'Brien even when she isn't possessed. She is way too controlling forcing him to do things he clearly don't want to do or eat. She freaks out at him over small things. They shouldn't be together.

But O'Brien's life is suffering so they are a perfect couple.

I like O'Brien. Not bad for a guy who spends most of his time behind a transporter console in TNG.

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #4121 on: June 03, 2017, 01:11:04 AM »
Anyone seen the hilarious TNG recut parody videos?

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4122 on: June 03, 2017, 02:41:27 AM »
That is good ****.

There another legendary set called TNG Edits that came out from the early internet think pre-youtube. The original site is gone but it lives on.

This should be fairly complete: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2zPyJ7uHdE&list=PLKA_WqdzIF5XlKBO60F4YBW20qElfoQ6y

Here are some of my favourites from that series.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #4123 on: June 04, 2017, 06:22:59 PM »
I tried to get into the Pokemon X and Y anime because i heard people saying it's just as good as the Diamond and Pearl seasons were. Outside of the amazingly detailed and fluid animation I'm just not seeing it.

Diamond and Pearl's excellence comes from it's characters. Dawn is very similar to what Ash was like in the first season and it works out very well. Ash tends to have a sort of student-teacher relationship with the new female companion who comes packaged with each region and it works extremely well here. The dynamic between Ash and Dawn due to how well written their interactions are is incredible and

And then there's Paul. Paul is the first attempt to give Ash a rival since Gary and while Gary was sort of a representation of that cool kid/childhood rival type deal that Ash has to deal with early in the series Paul is a direct challenge to Ash's character and pretty much everything he believes in. It's an absolutely incredible dynamic.

The final battle between Ash and Paul at the end of the series is probably one of the greatest moments in the entire series but it only really works if you've seen their entire rivalry to the end.

Basically the Diamond and Pearl seasons are actually legitimately good and worth watching.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4124 on: June 19, 2017, 10:30:34 PM »
Toonami perennial favorite Outlaw Star just came out on BluRay last week, & my copy finally arrived today. Man, this show really holds up. Just pure adventure fun & solid comedy. The new HD transfer is as excellent as I'd hoped, as much like Escaflowne the original DVD transfer was pretty terrible. Gray "blacks", dark rooms that appeared to just be muddy, drunken hazes, etc. It's kind of strange seeing the show now with true blacks & corrected loghting, but damn if the show's art style doesn't look great & clean now.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.