Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1199182 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #3875 on: August 25, 2016, 10:08:11 PM »
Well a bunch of 30-year-old pervs! Who would have guessed?

I'm not defending Perm's nipple hunt, but you should watch the scene in question. It's setup as an innocent girl turns into sex symbol/pop star. It's jaw dropping.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline TofuFury

• Made you look!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3876 on: August 28, 2016, 11:27:27 PM »
I've been watching The Great British Baking Show on Netflix, as my wife and I do enjoy cooking competitions. After watching shows like Top Chef and a little MasterChef, it's a very nice change of pace. Too many shows look for judges that make cutting remarks and punish their competitors. Instead, TGBBS is just charming and pleasant to watch. The hosts are genuine and encouraging, and all the competitors seem like nice people. Plus, it's been nice to see all sorts of bakery that I've never seen before. I highly recommend it if you're looking for a different kind of competition cooking show.
TheNorthSea/TofuFury

"So, Mike, no skydiving Grandma, huh? Man, they lead you up to something great, and then they just shoot it down. Stupid grandma-leaver-outers" - Tom Servo

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3877 on: September 08, 2016, 03:33:32 AM »
Atlanta

anyone check this out? Starring Donald Glover.
The 1st 2 eps aired tonight, and it's only a 30 min show, but this one seems interesting.
Stogi I think you'd like this, at least what I've seen of it so far.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #3878 on: September 08, 2016, 03:56:02 PM »
Mr. Robot S02E10

If you haven't watched this show, I suggest you click this link to show you one of the best filmed scenes in television history. Don't worry. While it's a spoiler scene, you'll have no context about what is happening, you only can make out one main character and even when you do figure out where this scene is placed, it'll be too late to even care.

https://streamable.com/tqpd

For those that have seen the show and don't like it (anything is possible I guess), this is masterful cinematography, and I suggest you click it to watch a very Stanley Kubrick-esque scene.

keep an eye on the crosswalk sign

« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 03:58:33 PM by Stogi »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3879 on: September 08, 2016, 11:43:11 PM »
I didn't want to create a thread for this.

Does anyone remember this Simpsons episode where Homer throws a bunch of business cards (or papers?) at someone and runs away?

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3880 on: September 09, 2016, 12:22:10 AM »
I'm afraid that doesn't ring a bell with me but I'm starting to lose my Simpsons knowledge. I haven't watched a lot of the first 10 or 11 seasons for maybe 4 or 5 years. Wow.

However, your description did remind me of this scene in Hot Rod. Don't know if this helps or not.  :-\

Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3881 on: September 09, 2016, 03:55:05 AM »
I didn't want to create a thread for this.

Does anyone remember this Simpsons episode where Homer throws a bunch of business cards (or papers?) at someone and runs away?

Homer vs. Dignity. Season 12, Episode 5.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3882 on: September 09, 2016, 06:29:48 PM »
Thank you, kind sir. You are, as always, a gentleman and a scholar.

(I rewatched the episode. Still funny.)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 10:36:03 PM by Adrock »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3883 on: September 10, 2016, 01:44:52 PM »
Mr. Robot S02E10

https://streamable.com/tqpd
keep an eye on the crosswalk sign

I didn't even notice the countdown. and the image was so small that it was hard to tell the details of what went down, so here is an enlarged zoom-in
https://imgur.com/q7zRgZD

looks like Darlene may have survived. and if I remember correctly, the FBI had no idea who she was in relation to the guy they were actually looking for. Although, now she's seen her face up close, so now she really has a reason to be ultra paranoid.
Dark Army was stupid for being so bold in the slow walk-up for the kill shot, but I guess ultimately, they got their target, so mission accomplished. Although, had they just taken out the FBI woman, most of the investigation would have gathered dust, since she is the only one heavily pursuing them.

Next 2-3 episodes should be pretty damn intense though.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #3884 on: September 10, 2016, 02:24:14 PM »
There's only the finale left. It's a two-parter.

That countdown takes the scene to the upper echelons of great directing.

But let's talk about Dom (the FBI woman). There's been plenty of opportunities to kill her. She even brings it up herself after the massacre at the hotel, stating she should have died but instead the guys decided to kill themselves. So my theory is that White Rose likes her for some reason. Maybe that moment they bonded was enough to spare her life in his/her eyes, because if the Dark Army wanted her dead, she'd be dead.

And let's not forget that the Dark Army is also hacking the FBI but only killed Cisco (and possibly Darlene) once his face was plastered on screens everywhere. Why that fact is important is it gives the Director of the FBI (the one who ordered the BOLO for Cisco) plausible deniability for Cisco's murder. It's a mistake he used the media, rather than an attempt to warn the Dark Army covertly that one of the FBI agents is close to finding a high valued asset. And let's not forget his **** up already "burning" a house that FSociety has been using rather than staking it out to see if they return. This makes me think the Director is a mole.

Darlene's fucked. If she isn't dead, than she is explicitly linked to FSociety through the video tapes at Cisco's house. So there's not a chance she can lie. I wonder what Elliot does.

Speaking of Elliot, he traced the phone to someone who the bodyguard knows, which makes me think we should know, yet he reacted like it was a shock to see the address. This makes me think it's not Tyrell calling. Rather someone fucking with his grieving wife. Who hates his wife? How about the guy who's wife Tyrell murdered? I forget his name.

And last but not least, we have Angela who is turning state. She gets approached by two people as soon as she's done with Elliot. I didn't know this but /r/MrRobot found those two people in almost every scene Angela is in when in public. There seated behind her at the bar, at dinner, on the sidewalk etc. This blew my mind. Now those two people confront her. Who do they work for? People say the FBI because Dom mentions that she's been watching her for months. And that's my guess as well. But why confront her now, considering she was about to confess? Maybe it's because Cisco face was everywhere, so Dom, thinking she might lose another high value asset, decides to detain her in case circumstances change and puts Angela in danger.

And yo...what the **** is Stage 2? I love this show. So much to speculate!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3885 on: September 10, 2016, 02:57:38 PM »
Stage 2 is Season 3.

you got a link to that Angela thing?
I don't want to get lost in Reddit trying to find it.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #3886 on: September 10, 2016, 03:29:20 PM »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3887 on: September 10, 2016, 03:39:19 PM »
wow, never even noticed them.... but this is why I go online for these shows. The Internet is always pointing out the little details that are so easily missed by many.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #3888 on: September 10, 2016, 03:57:16 PM »
Right? I don't even know how they noticed.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3889 on: September 11, 2016, 03:44:38 AM »
I'm giving ER a second playthrough. 

Currently up to season 8.  It saddens me that the level of quality in this show is rarely seen in current shows. 

I am bracing myself for Mark's death.  I'm not the kind to get too emotional in TV shows but that episode absolutely destroyed me.  My body is not ready.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3890 on: September 11, 2016, 09:34:49 PM »
I've been burning through Narcos today on Netflix.

I've been meaning to get around to this show since it first came out, and now that S2 just dropped, that motivated me to try and get caught up just before all the fall shows launch in these upcoming weeks.

For those that don't know what it's about, it's about Pablo Escobar vs the governments of both Columbia and the US during and after his rise to top five richest men in the world in Forbes Magazine on the back of the introduction of Cocaine production and smuggling into the US.

Based on the actual story of the rise of the Cocaine Cartel out of Columbia.
Lots of subtitles as most of the dialogue is in Spanish, but a good watch so far. I'm on S1E8 so far, and possibly will finish S1 before the night is over.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #3891 on: September 12, 2016, 07:16:09 PM »
Watching agents of shield Season 3 right now and Better call Saul season 2.
Made you look ****.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3892 on: September 16, 2016, 12:17:27 AM »
Project Runway S16... e1?

no idea really, they mentioned it was Season 16 I think... but there is a girl on there that literally laughs like a barking seal. and she keeps laughing and laughing and laughing... OH MY EARS!!!

that was the 1st and last time that show graces any television I am in the presence of.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3893 on: September 16, 2016, 01:15:11 AM »
Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell

Very good BBC show with well written characters. English Magicians in the Napoleonic era. Watch it on Netflix.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3894 on: September 16, 2016, 01:34:09 AM »
Angie Tribeca

Not really feeling it after the first episode, it is a bit funny, but it is pretty low hanging fruit but diverse level of comedy. It is best described at Meme:the cop show. It just blasts by one joke after another barely to stop for breath or really setting anything up.

As much as I like Rashida Jones, if things don't pick up in an episode or two I am dropping it.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3895 on: September 16, 2016, 01:44:04 AM »
Angie Tribeca

Not really feeling it after the first episode, it is a bit funny, but it is pretty low hanging fruit but diverse level of comedy. It is best described at Meme:the cop show. It just blasts by one joke after another barely to stop for breath or really setting anything up.

As much as I like Rashida Jones, if things don't pick up in an episode or two I am dropping it.

It's basically Naked Gun 2016: Rapid Fire
It's humorous, and at times hilarious, but it gets kinda old in repeated sessions.
i.e. Not binge-able.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 01:47:57 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3896 on: September 16, 2016, 02:27:03 AM »
Fair enough.

---

Another thing I have been watching and finally caught up on is JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure, an Anime. The first 2 seasons is macho manly beefcake more ripped than Goku dudes fighting vampires in England then later around Europe. Some of the people are so manly to the point that I figured I might as well call one of the supporting male characters a girl since he does all the stereotypical stuff like crying and screaming alot in the background while explaining the situation.

Females barely feature in the show, but when they do they can be pretty badass. The show is rather female friendly as you have dudes running around half naked most of the time in bearing mid-riffs at the minimum. The girls are far more modest and dignified.

The fights are cool and don't come off as bullshit. Each fight builds off the last carrying learnt lessons forward. They also talks alot because when fighting talking is a free action. The fights in season 2 aren't as good starting out as they feel a bit BS but things get alot cleverer as you get towards the end.

There is a lot of humour as absorb just how bizarre everything is and how absurdly manly everything is.

I would recommend most people to give it a couple of episodes to see if they like it. If nothing else you are in for some bizarre adventures.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3897 on: September 16, 2016, 02:46:31 AM »
I've been binge watching Narcos still, and for as interesting as all this is, the one thing that has shocked me the most is that the black man, nick-named Blackie, who is not a main character, but an occasionally and briefly seen henchman of Pablo Escobar, has survived well into the 2nd season despite all the people around him that have died, and all the drama that has surrounded his core group of trust worthy henchmen.

THE BLACK MAN WAS NOT ONLY NOT THE FIRST TO DIE, BUT HE IS ACTUALLY STILL LIVING!!!

It's truly amazing.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3898 on: September 18, 2016, 01:49:28 AM »
I started watching Supergirl because it's on Netflix, and I got tired of hate-watching The Walking Dead.

Supergirl is okay. Some of the effects are good, some are bad. Some of the acting is good, some is bad. Melissa Benoist is fine as the titular character. She could stand to learn how to throw a punch though I'm undecided after two episodes if that's the point. If, by the middle of the season, she still doesn't look like she knows what she's doing, it's going to get really hard to finish this.

I know changing a characters' race tends to be a sticking point with people (see Zendaya rumored as Mary Jane which I could go off on*). For me, it's one of those things that I think, "Hmm, that's kind of weird" since I'm used to picturing a character a certain way then I get over it. That said, my issue with Jimmy Olsen isn't that he's a black dude; it's that he's this tall, good-looking dude. I'm getting the impression that Mehcad Brooks was cast because he's an attractive man who can easily be "shipped" with Kara later. There's already a budding love triangle with Winn. Jimmy Olsen is written as this handsome, confident man. How did they get everything about Jimmy Olsen wrong? Olsen is the quintessential dork; he isn't supposed to be cool.

I think that's my main issue with the show. Unless the writers are setting up one hell of a red herring, they changed a beloved fan favorite entirely for a romantic payoff later. Supergirl feels like it's pushing hard for a female audience that probably isn't there, and it reeks of studio executive interference. Since the lead is female, it's as if they felt the show has to be a certain way so it's filled with cliches and tropes that just infuriate me because it's 2016 and everyone should know better. I wasn't a huge fan of Jessica Jones, but I liked that it respected the source material and the writers didn't feel the need to make it "girly" just because it focuses on a female character.

Otherwise, Supergirl is merely okay so far. I'm having difficulty taking Laura Benenti (Alura/Astra) seriously because her Melania Trump impersonation was dead-on, but that's no fault of the show.

*side-note: I didn't want to go on a tangent about Zendaya. Maybe I'll post my thoughts in the Marvel thread

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3899 on: September 18, 2016, 02:08:03 AM »
I watch Supergirl to see Kara mess around as she is just a great character. I had my initial misgivings about Cat Grant, but she works well against Kara's bubbliness. I also rather enjoy seeing how they go about writing out Superman/hide him.

Melissa does need to learn to punch as you said and I have a short laugh when ever they show her "Flying really fast face" as it just doesn't work.

The love triangle element frustrates me as Kara gets along with Winn far better than Olsen, but Kara is edging on Olsen because he is tall, dark and handsome. Winn is going to become a Supervillian at this rate as he is desperately frustrated and has been looking for a Kara surrogate(Which he found for a short while) to notice him for more than her tech dude.

The Flash Crossover episode is great.