Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1199007 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #3850 on: August 17, 2016, 05:21:12 AM »
I just got done watching Get Down. I'm glad I also randomly watched Saturday Night Fever right before Get Down. They take place in the same time period. So, that was kinda cool.

Does Get Down Remind anyone else of Spider-man. I kinda wish there was a late 70s early 80s version of Spider-man. If you think about that: That was the time when New York could actually use a Spider-man.

and

Fat Annie is a definite Sith lord.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 05:23:00 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3851 on: August 18, 2016, 12:05:24 AM »
Did you find yourself unexpectedly enjoying it for it's uniqueness in presentation and delivery, even though it wasn't as prominent towards the end as it was in the beginning... or maybe I was just used to it by then.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3852 on: August 18, 2016, 10:04:34 AM »
And did your theory find support on a rewatch?

And if so, what was the theory?

Theory is that Elliot is in a mental institution or prison. The last episode of S1 ended with feds knocking at his door, but yet he's free and it goes unexplained. Yet, if you watch what he does every day, it seems like the life of someone incarcerated. He has a friend he eats meals with every day. His mother only wakes him up and tells him to go to sleep. He watches basketball (and the players suck). Every door he opens sounds like its made of metal. The phone he uses is very prison like. And he goes to a support group.

Looks like you were right on the money with this one.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3853 on: August 18, 2016, 09:22:33 PM »
Did you find yourself unexpectedly enjoying it for it's uniqueness in presentation and delivery, even though it wasn't as prominent towards the end as it was in the beginning... or maybe I was just used to it by then.

after I had watched it I went on lookup mode. So, I noticed the guy who directed Moulin Rouge and The Great Gatspy had directed it. I can see some of that in it. It had elements of other things that I had watched in other things, so it wasn't 100% original. I had read your take on it's weirdness and expected weirder, but really I've seen enough things to where its style didn't weird me out. It's not like it was Eraserhead.

I used to watch the Lyracist Lounge Show, so maybe them busting out into rhymes wasn't unusual to me. I thought the show was great though. Netflix keeps hitting the ball out of the park.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3854 on: August 19, 2016, 01:45:45 PM »
And did your theory find support on a rewatch?

And if so, what was the theory?

Theory is that Elliot is in a mental institution or prison. The last episode of S1 ended with feds knocking at his door, but yet he's free and it goes unexplained. Yet, if you watch what he does every day, it seems like the life of someone incarcerated. He has a friend he eats meals with every day. His mother only wakes him up and tells him to go to sleep. He watches basketball (and the players suck). Every door he opens sounds like its made of metal. The phone he uses is very prison like. And he goes to a support group.

Looks like you were right on the money with this one.

Yup. Elliot is an unreliable narrator.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #3855 on: August 19, 2016, 05:27:19 PM »
Spent a good hour this morning watching race walking at the Olympics and it was strangely compelling for a meeting of the Ministry of Silly Walks.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3856 on: August 20, 2016, 06:49:08 PM »
Spent a good hour this morning watching race walking at the Olympics and it was strangely compelling for a meeting of the Ministry of Silly Walks.

I guess the record holder was out pacing everyone, ended up shitting himself, then eventually passing out, recovered, finished the race, and still got 8th place.

For all of that to happen, then he must have been shittng on everyone before he shat on himself.
Sucks he didn't place though.

But I came in here to talk about Naked & Afraid XL - 40 Days/40 Nights S2
I just marathoned the season so far, and I know it's a marketing gimmick, but homeboy that went solo was surrounded by lions, puking his brains out, probably about to **** himself, and the door to his shelter got ripped off right before the camera cut and started promo-ing the next episode. Really made it seem like lions were about to come at him, but I'm sure it was the medics trying to get in his little "fortress".

Season's been good so far though. No real breakout drama, and no major success stories, but they just barely getting by at this point. This is my kind of reality TV show.
Although I do wonder just how much interference the production crew takes when it comes to wild animals in the area. Do they scout bodies of water for piranha, gators, or other such creatures that could instantly remove a member of the show? Do they set up a perimeter for large cats, wild dogs, and other such predatory animals?
maybe they also sneak them water and a little food here an there.... who knows.

I'm sure all of the above happen at some point or another, except maybe food... but is anyone else watching this show? or regular N&A?

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #3857 on: August 21, 2016, 10:04:16 PM »
I'm bumping this because just like Stranger Things, this one deserves a watch.
I really think some of you might like a fantastical fairytale version of the history of Hip Hop.

This covers the tail end of Disco, the rise of the DJ and Hip Hop culture w/ a Wu-Tang like mysticism around it. It's part musical, part coming of age teen drama, and part historically influenced by creating "larger than life" versions of real DJ's from the era, all while being narrated by Nas as he raps the setup for each episode.

I know my man Stogi would be all for this. But all of you, if even slightly interested, should at least check out the 1st episode. This one is a little unorthodox for your typical Netflix show, but it's good.
1 more on the list of winners from Netflix.

I haven't seen everything Netflix has made, as it's tons of stuff now, and kinda hard to keep up, but most of what I have watched I have liked. The Get Down is one of the good ones.

and the soundtrack dropped as well:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/get-down-original-soundtrack/id1140679908

The Get Down

ooops, I finished part I (first 6 of 12 eps*) in 1 sitting. I really didn't expect to like this show as much as I did, considering the weird scene edits that were really prevalent in the first episode or 2 where it went from a Netflix produced show, to actual random clips from the 70's, to some soap opera looking filter, and I think there was even a low budget green screen scene in car that was really really obvious, like something out of a Grindhouse feature.

This show is part musical drama (like Empire) using mostly hip hop and disco music, with bits of "Wu-Tang" martial arts mysticism, taking place on the streets of The Bronx, NY back in the mid-late 70's, starring a group of kids trying to find their musical expression during the time period of just before disco was phased out and right as Hip Hop was being born.

oh and Jaden Smith.... LOL. what a fucking weirdo. Is he playing himself in this? I think his character is on a natural acid trip for most of the movie. But he plays it well enough in the context of the show. Which is highly entertaining, as anytime you think the story might start to drag, there is usually a musical number of some sort to pick things up and push things forward.

So I rate this as very entertaining  and worth the watch.
Just give the first ep a chance

*Part II is released in 2017
edit: I finished Part I and wrote this post at 3:30am... not sure how why it didn't post last night.
I must have fell asleep before clicking the button.

Saw the first episode. I dig it.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3858 on: August 21, 2016, 10:32:59 PM »
it should continue to suck you in.

but I came in here to say that I'm on ep6 of The Night Of.

It was a little hard to get through the 2nd & 3rd eps, but that's moslty because the only time i have to watch TV during the week is either late at night, or super early in the morning, and just the intro of this show is dark, slow, w/ somber music, and at either of those times.... that almost instant sleep pill. A lot of the show is also slow, dark, moody, and also not a mix for someone just on the edge of sleepy at night, or too early in the morning.

But now that the weekend has come around again, and we get into the nit and grit (Omar in the fucking house. Jail house antics, the corruption of a good college boy, some investigative work on the case, and did I mention Omar *whistles*. I think I might have) it's picked up even though the general tone and mood of the show remains the same.

Is this show like most BBC shows, seeing as it's a US remake, where it's only 6 eps long?
I ask because I'm currently at the beginning of 6 as I type this, and wonder if I should be looking for more. And if so, what night does it come on? Sundays?

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #3859 on: August 21, 2016, 10:42:54 PM »
There's 8 episodes. Tonight and next week.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3860 on: August 21, 2016, 11:15:43 PM »
There's 8 episodes. Tonight and next week.

That's perfect, because I'm ready for ep7.
a new log was just thrown in the campfire, and now the pot is boiling.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3861 on: August 23, 2016, 01:41:20 AM »
The Night Of part 7

Why they gotta end it like that?
There's no way they wrap this up in the next episode... has S2 been confirmed yet?

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #3862 on: August 23, 2016, 01:48:12 AM »
It's a mini-series. The creators said that if there was a season 2 it would be completely different, like True Detective.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3863 on: August 23, 2016, 02:10:04 AM »
It's a mini-series. The creators said that if there was a season 2 it would be completely different, like True Detective.

I heard True Detective went to **** in S2, but I wouldn't know, because I couldn't even make it past ep2 of S1... and tried soooo hard.

Well, either way, something major gotta happen for this to wrap up in a semi-happy ending, otherwise the only way I see this ending is with everyone finding out that he really did do it, he loves it in Prison, and just really doesn't give a **** anymore. Parents are distraught, Defense Lawyers in total disbelief, especially the female lead lawyer, after what happened in that cell... all caught on camera. and I know even I would be a little shocked, because I don't think he did it....

now we gotta wait a week... everything that fits the mold, really needs to adapt to the Netflix release method. I feel so spoiled w/ Netflix.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #3864 on: August 23, 2016, 09:28:24 AM »
I feel like it could be wrapped up nicely if he gets put on the stand, but I'm guessing he's already accepted his fate, considering the amount of evidence is against him. I just hope to see Dr. Katz again.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #3865 on: August 23, 2016, 07:40:27 PM »
Finished Black Sails (so far)
Great show especially if you love Pirates But not in the stupid pirates of the Caribbean style, like actual gritty pirates that will bite your neck out... oops spoiler ;).
If you don't mind the fact that Michael bay is the Director of season one, it should be enjoyable. Just saying this I think this is the only work of Michael Bay I like...
Made you look ****.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #3866 on: August 24, 2016, 12:01:19 AM »
Finished the Get Down.

****'s dope. Mylene is incredibly sexy. Like damn...that church scene...Good God. My favorite character was Shaolin. He never backed down and was focused on his craft. You have to respect that.

The songs are great. Having Nasty Nas as a narrator was icing on the cake. It's also pretty damn funny between the drama and the relationships. Other than Diz, it's all really well acted by the main characters. I can't hate on Diz though as he was the funniest one.

Give it a shot.

Offline Wah

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #3867 on: August 24, 2016, 12:06:35 AM »
Get down? whats it about?
Made you look ****.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #3868 on: August 24, 2016, 12:14:10 AM »
About a bunch of kids in 1970s Bronx, NY.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3869 on: August 24, 2016, 12:19:15 AM »
Finished the Get Down.

****'s dope. Mylene is incredibly sexy. Like damn...that church scene...Good God. My favorite character was Shaolin. He never backed down and was focused on his craft. You have to respect that.

The songs are great. Having Nasty Nas as a narrator was icing on the cake. It's also pretty damn funny between the drama and the relationships. Other than Diz, it's all really well acted by the main characters. I can't hate on Diz though as he was the funniest one.

Give it a shot.

I knew you would like that ****. Had to be right up your alley. I wanted to talk about it, but I didn't want to give too much away, just enough to hopefully peak interest.

Get down? whats it about?

Scroll back up, I go on about it in at least 2 different wordy post.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 12:22:13 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #3870 on: August 24, 2016, 12:34:10 AM »
Yeah man. It makes me want to bust rhymes and get back into my music and writing and art.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3871 on: August 24, 2016, 10:19:33 PM »
It looks like you can see Mylene's nipple in the church scene. Gonna have to watch that scene again. She's super hot.

Offline Wah

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #3872 on: August 25, 2016, 08:21:25 PM »
Well a bunch of 30-year-old pervs! Who would have guessed?
Made you look ****.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3873 on: August 25, 2016, 08:46:20 PM »
Use your inside voice for those things.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Wah

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #3874 on: August 25, 2016, 08:48:55 PM »
WHAT WAS THAT? I CANT HEAR YOU OVER THE MOANING OF PERM!
Made you look ****.