Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1199252 times)

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #3625 on: March 14, 2016, 09:04:28 AM »
The rules of time travel in this show haven't been clearly explained - Even Lost (a show which is known for not explaining things) explicitly said how "the universe will course correct".

But the bigger issue is the show has to stretch this formula out repeatedly to make this work despite having an active time machine to skirt this point. If by breaking them into different timezones we get multiple parallel storylines (think Person of Interest season 1-3) then it will be all the better for it.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #3626 on: March 14, 2016, 12:23:56 PM »
Regarding Rory: The most basic rule of all comics No body = Not dead.

(also, the inverse of this is not true.  The presence of a physical body does not rule out clones, alternate dimensions, Superboy punching time or many other things.  Really, no one dies in comics...)
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3627 on: March 15, 2016, 01:26:08 AM »
Well, I don't assume he is dead. But they explicitly implied it and Snart didn't go out of his way to deny or confirm anything. So I'm sure he'll be back at some point.

But I am certainly interested in what happens next episode, and no, I have not seen a trailer for it.
I'll be surprised by watching it when I get it.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3628 on: March 15, 2016, 10:48:05 AM »
Regarding Rory: The most basic rule of all comics No body = Not dead.

(also, the inverse of this is not true.  The presence of a physical body does not rule out clones, alternate dimensions, Superboy punching time or many other things.  Really, no one dies in comics...)

Isn't that also the rule of scifi?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #3629 on: March 15, 2016, 12:02:56 PM »
That is a rule for most TV shows in general. Even the non-fantastical dramas can use loop holes to bring back "dead" characters.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3630 on: March 15, 2016, 11:57:04 PM »
ummm.... Red K Supergirl is HAWT AS F**K

attitude and confidence just make a world of difference.
Little bit of  mean streak in her... but damn, the hair, wardrobe and that look just make up for all of it.

edit: it's a damn shame MM had to beat the mean b**ch out of her.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 12:02:13 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3631 on: March 16, 2016, 01:07:03 AM »
Is this game Stephen Colbert themed? laaaaame.

edit: wrong thread!

On topic, I should watch an episode of Supergirl some day.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 01:23:25 AM by ShyGuy »

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3632 on: March 16, 2016, 02:26:45 AM »
Nah. I was just trying to find a picture or preferably gif of someone dramatically pointing to a camera and then remembered The Colbert Report openings often had him doing that so I tried searching for something that way and then a saw a couple gifs I thought I could use and went with them and incorporated them.

I probably could do a Colbert Report themed Safe Words but that's not what this game is. It's a bit more generic/free form than that.

Did you not like The Colbert Report?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3633 on: March 16, 2016, 02:29:07 AM »
http://www.webm.host/9a255/vid.webm

a couple of clips of Red K Kara
the attitude shift was a huge change in everything about her.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3634 on: March 16, 2016, 07:36:56 AM »
Things aren't looking goo for Supergirl in NZ as it has been sent to the death spot of 3PM on a Saturday.

Nonoono, I like my Kara sweet.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3635 on: March 16, 2016, 05:39:09 PM »
I wasn't initially fond of Grant Ward in AOS when the show started - he was so bland and uninteresting. But he's completely turned it around in the past year.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3636 on: March 16, 2016, 06:53:26 PM »
Person of Interest finally gets a premiere date and is ending.

May 3rd is when season 5 will start airing and then CBS will burn up 2 episodes a week for a 3 episode season. This is the final season for PoI and has been written as such according to the producers. Almost a whole year has gone by since Season 4. Nice of CBS to really work at killing interest and enthusiasm about the show and showing how much they cared about it.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3637 on: March 16, 2016, 07:26:43 PM »
Person of Interest finally gets a premiere date and is ending.

May 3rd is when season 5 will start airing and then CBS will burn up 2 episodes a week for a 3 episode season. This is the final season for PoI and has been written as such according to the producers. Almost a whole year has gone by since Season 4. Nice of CBS to really work at killing interest and enthusiasm about the show and showing how much they cared about it.

100% agreed. They've screwed about with the show so much.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3638 on: March 16, 2016, 10:20:17 PM »
Person of Interest is/was the best drama on CBS. It's a shame, I guess it didn't fit their "senior friendly procedural" formula.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3639 on: March 17, 2016, 01:43:09 AM »
Yeah, I'm still boggled over how NCIS continues to be such a ratings juggernaut. I've somehow encountered a couple episodes and it has such terrible writing. I just don't get it.

However, I'm also not going to piss all over CBS. I watch Survivor, The Amazing Race, Elementary, The Price is Right and lately, Late Night with Stephen Colbert. So, they can put out some other products that appeal to me. I watched The Mentalist for many of the years it aired on there. The problem with PoI is that it was of higher caliber and quality than most other CBS shows but it also had a pretty dense mythology that was best experienced watching it from the beginning which makes it harder for new viewers to jump in. Plus, where would it work best on the schedule? They use to air it on Tuesday but that hardly fits with NCIS's quality or stuff like Limitless or Elementary which are more of a similar pattern. Then you've got "comedies" like The Big Bang Theory or Mike and Molly or Two and Half Men. Again, it's not the best way to keep viewers on the channel by following those with PoI. (Although the injustice is that PoI should be increasing viewers wherever it aired on the schedule.) Even the reality shows like Survivor or TAS aren't a great viewing combo. I think the best spot would have been Sunday nights for it but that's now filled up and dominated by The Good Wife and Madam Secretary so they are going anywhere. Despite having seen almost nothing of The Good Wife, I somehow feel PoI may have made a good pairing with it. Unfortunately, it just ended up being on the wrong network with how things developed but at least it got a lot of the production values it deserved by being on a major network.

At the same time, I was a bit disappointed with how things ended on Season 4 particularly in the wrap up of the Elias/Dominic arc and where they've taken Samaritan. The development with The Machine was pretty surprising but it also seems like the plot has backed itself into a big corner as well so it may be the right time to end things. I guess we'll see when Season 5 airs. I may regret this statement but I just don't see what the writers may still have had to sustain it for another full season or two.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3640 on: March 17, 2016, 01:49:31 AM »
Ha! I'm listing CBS shows I watch and forgot Supergirl. Shows how much of an impression that series is leaving on my mind.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3641 on: March 17, 2016, 05:02:27 AM »
One of the problems with SuperGirl is that she and the show is always switching modes. Cat Co, DEO, Herself, Kryptonian, others from Krypton, SuperGirl self, Sister self. They are all distinct modes she shifts from one minute to the other. It's a massive identity crisis that is never dealt with. It also makes the show really unfocused.

The actress is amazing at switch between them all though.

It's also getting to the point it is easier to name people who don't know who she is. It's like it's the opposite of Superman in a way where almost no one knew who he was. The show also suffers from Superman, but with a girl. It hits all the same plot points even with it's own Lex Luthor.

Khush if you're worried about PoI, well the 5th season is the last and it's going in knowing it is the end. CBS has been real dicks about the show and has intentionally run the last season production into the ground so someone like Netflicks can pick it up. The last season has been ready for months, maybe even up to half a year. So **** CBS for continually torpedoing PoI throughout it's life.

For NCIS me is all about how stupid can an episode get. Computers? Stupid. Real police work? Stupid. Gunfight, especially NCIS LA? Stupid. Killing Brown People and Russians? Stupid. USAUSAUSAUSA? Always. If I do see an episode, I am doing it ironically.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3642 on: March 17, 2016, 06:33:35 AM »
The writers had said they had at least a season full of ideas left before they ended it. Given some of the quality of episodes in Season 4 (If Then Else, the simulation episode was the single best hour of TV i've seen in a very long time) i believe they did too.

A lot of viewers tuned out when Carter left the show, and that was the point when the procedural aspects began to take a step back to the mythology of the series (with its associated tumble in ratings).

The problem with POI isnt the show itself, but that the show is not produced by CBS. The 13 episode order was only to get it over the line to 100 episodes for syndication so CBS can make some money back. Where they dump the show itself now doesn't matter. The same thing happened with Fringe in Season 5 too (although Fox actually treated the show significantly better leaving it in its Friday timeslot where it actually was very stable ratings-wise, to the end) and even The Mentalist where with the same production company as POI (Warner Bros) selling the show to CBS, and burned it off in the same way.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #3643 on: March 17, 2016, 06:57:01 AM »
I started rewatching The Genius last week, starting from first season.

So good. By far the smartest game show i saw and the only reality TV worth spending time on. And it's only gets better on rewatching.

Thank you so much for pointing me to this show.  Living in Korea the show has more meaning to me, and I understand it.  This type of reality TV/game show is actually quite popular here, but this one is very clever.  After just one episode I am hooked.  It is really the social and relational aspects of the show that make it work...and Korean culture really capitalizes on that aspect.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3644 on: March 17, 2016, 03:26:38 PM »
ummm.... Red K Supergirl is HAWT AS F**K

attitude and confidence just make a world of difference.
Little bit of  mean streak in her... but damn, the hair, wardrobe and that look just make up for all of it.

edit: it's a damn shame MM had to beat the mean b**ch out of her.

I thought this was by far the best episode of the season.  She did a fantastic job  But I think the biggest thing I enjoyed was the fact that there were no "facepalm" moments like there usually are.  It was a pleasant change and one that hopefully persists though I won't hold my breath.

But the cherry on top was finally seeing J'onn cut loose.  Although my knowledge of comic lore is limited I thought that Martian Manhunter was on par with Supes when it comes to power.  He's always been gimped in the show and got his butt handed to him by Astra.  Was barely a fight.   Hopefully now that he's come out Alex (Or Sam Lane) will take the reigns at the DEO and J'onn will work with Kara.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3645 on: March 17, 2016, 09:20:29 PM »
I face-palmed during the montage of Cat giving her speech not to trust Supergirl and National City citizen's immediate response to the speech. Throwing away they home made uniform and the firefighters taking down the Supergirl banner. If Cat Grant says we have to do this, I guess we have to do it. National City only listens to her.

What exactly did Supergirl do that was so evil? She let an alien villain escape a bit longer but the citizens wouldn't know since the DEO keeps alien existence under wraps or tries to. Not sure if the White Martian appearance a few episodes back was public enough to dispel that idea. She dropped Cat Grant from a building though no one would have seen that. Just Supergirl rescuing her before she died and then exchanging some harsh words with her. It's Cat Grant's word that Supergirl did drop her. She angrily flicked some peanuts in a bar. The whole thing could be viewed as just a feud between Supergirl and Cat Grant. I can't recall what she was doing at the time the DEO attacked her but even then, you have these mysterious people attacking Supergirl and one of them suddenly becomes an alien attacking Supergirl. I'd be more concerned about that group being evil than Supergirl if I was a citizen without the facts we as viewers have. So, the whole overwrought drama of losing the entire city's trust and then needing to start over again with winning them back rang false to me. I don't believe it is the big hill the show wants to make it out to be.

It was good to see J'onn prove to be Kara's equal in a fight. Shorty is right that MM is supposed to be on par with Superman and maybe even more powerful thanks to his telepathic abilities allowing him to also attack Superman's mind.

I did find it interesting that Kara began to resemble Astra near the end. It might have been a missed opportunity to have her join up with Non's group for awhile to really create a sense of villainy while letting her learn more about Non's plot so that when she is cured of the red kryptonite, they have more information to battle Non with.

I do love Red Kryptonite stories though. Even on Smallville, they would make for fun episodes. At least Clark robbed some banks on that show and really did become villainous. I also love the cheesiness in how they would make Clark a bad boy with him wearing a leather jacket, shades and driving a motorcycle. Superman has become the Fonz. He's evil. In Kara's case, it makes her a competent and confident employee with an arrogant streak. The choices they make to sure the hero as villain are sometimes borderline laughable but they get a pass from me because they are fun. It's like emo-Peter Parker that everyone complained about in Spiderman 3. That stuff never bothered me like some fans because it's just sort of fun enough for my sensibilities.

Watching the episode, though, did make me wonder what would happen if Non or another Kryptonian villain were exposed to red kryptonite. I can't recall of a time its ever happened. If red Kryptonite makes Superman/girl/boy/woman evil, would it make them good? What change or effect would it have on their mental state? Maybe Maxwell Lord has the solution to the Kryptonian problem after all....

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3646 on: March 17, 2016, 09:45:36 PM »
The writers had said they had at least a season full of ideas left before they ended it. Given some of the quality of episodes in Season 4 (If Then Else, the simulation episode was the single best hour of TV i've seen in a very long time) i believe they did too.

A lot of viewers tuned out when Carter left the show, and that was the point when the procedural aspects began to take a step back to the mythology of the series (with its associated tumble in ratings).

The problem with POI isnt the show itself, but that the show is not produced by CBS. The 13 episode order was only to get it over the line to 100 episodes for syndication so CBS can make some money back. Where they dump the show itself now doesn't matter. The same thing happened with Fringe in Season 5 too (although Fox actually treated the show significantly better leaving it in its Friday timeslot where it actually was very stable ratings-wise, to the end) and even The Mentalist where with the same production company as POI (Warner Bros) selling the show to CBS, and burned it off in the same way.

I also liked If Then Else a lot myself. But it was also at that point, that I thought the show began to stop moving forward and instead just hold in a circling pattern before a so-so ending. The first half of Season 4 was as strong as the show ever was but after the loss/kidnapping of Shaw, it developed an uneven momentum and the overall story seemed to lose focus. So if the writers did have these ideas, I wish we could have seen more evidence of them in that back half. Although, I am willing to allow for the fact that Sarah Shahi's (aka Shaw) pregnancy and subsequent absence from the show may have contributed to this loss of momentum as they waited for her maternity leave to finish up so that they could bring her back into the fold. I think the writers have said it was part of the plan but I question that. Shahi and others made comments that she really was dead and gone at the end of If Then Else in order to keep the viewers guessing so you can't always trust everything the cast and crew may give on things.

I don't think the loss of Carter is necessarily the main reason for the show to lose its procedural aspects but allowing Samaritan to take over made it much harder for the team to operate and do weekly cases/rescues even with Reese's new job. That really changed the dynamic and how the characters could operate.

Also, I thought syndication depended on a show either hitting 100 episodes or making 4 full seasons which PoI met at the end of last season obviously. I've finally seen some other channels start to play reruns of the show so I'm thinking it must be in syndication now unless just filming season 5 episodes to get to 100 without releasing them allowed the to meet syndication that way after all.

However, in the case of The Mentalist, it had already been in syndication and passed the 100 episode mark before its 7th and final season began. It also played out one episode at a time for about 13 weeks in its normal (at that point in its life) Sunday timeslot. This is more like the Parks and Recreation final season that had NBC playing two episodes a night of it on Tuesdays for a little over a month in February - March to burn off the final season to get it done with and move on to other shows.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3647 on: March 20, 2016, 11:37:25 AM »
Just finished Daredevil Ep3

Wow. that stairwell fight scene, was pretty badass. The whole scene between Frank and Matt up on the roof was good too. Foggy has been useful and so has Karen. I also love the fact that "Nite Nurse" references Luke Cage, and that whole incident being the reason she is stuck on slave labor shift.

I also just started ep4 and **** is about to go down.

[edit - just past halfway through ep4 and OMG. The Punisher is F'n Crazy. LOL. savage beast.]

Not to mention I watched the Luke Cage teaser (which supposedly airs at like a post credits teaser at the end of DD S2) and I'm hyped for that show.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=43091.msg892045#msg892045
^follow the link to check it out for yourself
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 12:10:19 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3648 on: March 20, 2016, 12:11:53 PM »
I started rewatching The Genius last week, starting from first season.

So good. By far the smartest game show i saw and the only reality TV worth spending time on. And it's only gets better on rewatching.
Thank you so much for pointing me to this show.  Living in Korea the show has more meaning to me, and I understand it.  This type of reality TV/game show is actually quite popular here, but this one is very clever.  After just one episode I am hooked.  It is really the social and relational aspects of the show that make it work...and Korean culture really capitalizes on that aspect.
Sure, i am glad to spread the love for this show.

And if you liked the first episode -- oh boy oh boy oh boy -- you're gonna have some mind blowing four seasons ahead of you, because twist at the end of first episode is mere peanuts compared to complexity and game depth that further seasons bring.

If you care to discuss the show PM me, we can skype or smth.

There is also specialized reddit that collects all Genius related links:
https://www.reddit.com/r/TheGenius/

And not one but two separate podcasts about the show: Dom and Colin and Geniuscast.

Welcome and have fun.

Just finished Daredevil Ep3
The fight is kinda inspired by Tony Jaa's famous stairs fight oner:
only Daredevil did it with multiple takes glued seemlessly together
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3649 on: March 20, 2016, 12:28:13 PM »
I noticed that while they did several long takes, they used the darkeness and closeups to mask the scene splicing. because that would have taken forever to get all in 1 shot in the way they wanted it.

It turned out well and I was impressed. Netflix and Marvel make a good pairing, and I'm hoping the improvements on Netflix "Phase 2"continue w/ the rest of this season of DD and into Luke Cage as well.

edit: just watched that Tony Jaa video... and I'm glad DD was only "inspired" by that scene.
It's no wonder Jaa has fallen of the face of the map. While he has potential to be incredible as seen in his earliest movie I can't remember the name of, the choreography in this was TERRIBLE. the stunts are cool, but everything seems so... scripted, rehearsed, timed and setup. Nothing about that fight was organic in the way it played out. Tony Jaa needs to get with the guys from The Raid and script out something crazy for him. His first big movie was awesome and made me a fan... everything after that was just downhill from there.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 12:47:58 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »