Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1199200 times)

Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #3175 on: January 05, 2015, 05:28:37 PM »
I just watched the Doctor Who special where he meets his self from the Time War and David Tennent and they do something really ambitious even for this series. I also watched the Christmas special right after but so Hulu doesn't have the current seasons so I haven't gotten any more caught up than that. The special was pretty good the Christmas episode was alright but not that great, average as far as Christmas specials go.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: January 05, 2015, 11:05:34 PM »
This years wasn't bad but there was an obviously unplanned twist.  Someone must have a change of contract while this was filming because its not how it should be.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: January 06, 2015, 05:02:23 PM »
Gotham came back with a decent episode last night, Ivy of all the charaters actually had a good moment, Barbara continues to fail at life, and Arkham was sufficiently creepy.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: January 06, 2015, 06:21:40 PM »
Gotham came back with a decent episode last night, Ivy of all the charaters actually had a good moment, Barbara continues to fail at life, and Arkham was sufficiently creepy.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #3179 on: January 06, 2015, 06:27:03 PM »
I just watched the Doctor Who special where he meets his self from the Time War and David Tennent and they do something really ambitious even for this series. I also watched the Christmas special right after but so Hulu doesn't have the current seasons so I haven't gotten any more caught up than that. The special was pretty good the Christmas episode was alright but not that great, average as far as Christmas specials go.

I love the character of Doctor Who, but I just always feel let down by the writing and style of the show.  It's like it tries to be Science Fiction, but it is more Adventure/horror...the jumps in logic and twists are sometimes compelling, but usually have one element that ruins it for me. 

I think I liked Davies direction better than Moffat's.  Moffat's a good storyteller sometimes, and he can play with twisting a theme but, actually, I feel his seasons always end lackluster with nothing special really done. 

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #3180 on: January 06, 2015, 07:58:35 PM »
Oooh! Gotham's back!

My wife and I latched onto the show Grimm. Pretty neat first season. I like the premise and it feels more compelling that Supernatural did for a fairy tale monster hunting show.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3181 on: January 06, 2015, 08:27:31 PM »
Grimm is ok, but the stupid names for the "vessen" are silly and impossible to remember.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3182 on: January 07, 2015, 04:08:05 AM »

I love the character of Doctor Who, but I just always feel let down by the writing and style of the show.  It's like it tries to be Science Fiction, but it is more Adventure/horror...the jumps in logic and twists are sometimes compelling, but usually have one element that ruins it for me. 

I think I liked Davies direction better than Moffat's.  Moffat's a good storyteller sometimes, and he can play with twisting a theme but, actually, I feel his seasons always end lackluster with nothing special really done. 

I agree but in the opposite direction. RTD was the better showrunner (basic season arcs with fun ideas), but Moffat was consistently the best writer throughout his tenure. Moffat's era feels a bit too twisty turny (except for, finally, someone acknowledging that time travel affects plots!) and too complicated for its own good at times.

The reveal in Deep Breath that the 11th Doctor called Clara during the 50th anniversary special into the future to tell her that the 12th Doctor is *still* the Doctor and to trust him is the kind of thing that Moffat does very well. Long arcs like that simply never happened during RTD's era.

Also, i'm convinced we will see River Song again eventually - The Doctor hasnt given her the sonic screwdriver yet.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3183 on: January 07, 2015, 04:33:45 AM »
The Good Wife.

Just started season 2, and damn, I like this show. Nothing like what I thought it was gonna be about from the title, and I more or less went in blind on any actual details of what it was actually about.

but a quick summary is that it focuses mostly on a woman, mother of 2, whose husband is forced to resign from his political post due to scandal, and forces her back into the work place as a lawyer. It then continues to focus on how she balances her family life, husbands political connections and her eagerness to revive her law career and stand on her own 2 feet as a success in her own right.

and can I just say that even if you don't find Kalinda as the hottest woman on TV, goddamn is she fucking sexy. She is pretty, but her demeanor and willingness to get it done is just so hot.

definite good watch. recommended.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #3184 on: January 07, 2015, 09:36:36 AM »
I dunno RTD had some long story arc ideas as well.  I like what he did with the Master better.  The Face a Bo and Jack, and when he brought characters back they felt like they had been existing and living for awhile and naturally came back. 

But I guess I wasn't down for the convoluted storytelling…nothing wrong with it.  But when you build up an event where you think the person is dead and only to find out none of it happened…kinda is a sucker punch…and not a good. one.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3185 on: January 07, 2015, 09:46:01 AM »

I love the character of Doctor Who, but I just always feel let down by the writing and style of the show.  It's like it tries to be Science Fiction, but it is more Adventure/horror...

That's how Dr. Who is.  That's not new to the new tenure.  I'm liking this season more than the others because they were very stuck in the Cyberman/Dalek paradigm.  While this one is moving to the more traditional Dr.Who.  Which I enjoy.  I wouldn't mind if they brought back 3 episode story arcs.

Though I do not like how they have done the last few companions.  Making them more love interests than companion really.

They really need to get away from Earth though.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #3186 on: January 07, 2015, 08:55:26 PM »

I love the character of Doctor Who, but I just always feel let down by the writing and style of the show.  It's like it tries to be Science Fiction, but it is more Adventure/horror...

That's how Dr. Who is.  That's not new to the new tenure.  I'm liking this season more than the others because they were very stuck in the Cyberman/Dalek paradigm.  While this one is moving to the more traditional Dr.Who.  Which I enjoy.  I wouldn't mind if they brought back 3 episode story arcs.

Though I do not like how they have done the last few companions.  Making them more love interests than companion really.

[/quote]

I would love an idea just being explored to the fullest, because right now I feel like they don't explore it enough.

If you have a 12 episode season that would allow you to do 3 or 4 big stories that expand and grow and have real consequences and once a story is finished move to another story.  Basically being able to tell a movie like story instead of a TV series like story. 

And yes get away from Earth more...or at least do more future or historical Earth.  All of Time and Space...and we are stuck on Earth...boring. 

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3187 on: January 08, 2015, 03:39:54 AM »
Person of Interest:

What a stunning episode to start 2015. That was probably the best the series has ever done.

Playfully witty sign off.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3188 on: January 08, 2015, 09:40:15 AM »
Watched Agent Carter last night.  I missed it the day before.  I enjoyed it.  Definitely a period piece.  I need to look up the writers but I have a suspicion on them.

It does a good job being of that time until something little slips through the crack, modern stapler for example.  I'm hoping though they finish up the current arc very fast and move on to her founding S.H.I.E.L.D.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 03:22:24 PM by Ceric »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3189 on: January 08, 2015, 12:46:18 PM »
Supposedly the founding of SHIELD will not be within this series, but there is a possibility of a second series.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3190 on: January 08, 2015, 03:23:37 PM »
That be a waste.  There is a lot of good material from getting that all together.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3191 on: January 08, 2015, 03:48:24 PM »
This series supposedly ends where the one shot begins.
A second series may pick up after that.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3192 on: January 08, 2015, 03:57:35 PM »
I was wondering where the One-Shot was in the timeline.  Hopefully there will be a second.  There is a lot of interesting things to do.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3193 on: January 09, 2015, 01:50:38 AM »
Got on to the Person Of Interest train late, but wow, this is good ****. I have watched season 1, starting on 2. The writing is exemplary. Completely opposite from JJ style. Its coherent, smart, integrated, full of tension without getting strobe light flashy. omg Amy Acker! I love her already but damn she is awesome. Bear is a great addition. Jim Caviezel initially seemed like a second choice to Christain Bale who clearly too good for TV, but he really made it his own. The rest of the cast and characters are fantastic and poor Fusco.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

« Reply #3194 on: January 10, 2015, 04:05:43 PM »
Just started Agents of Shield finished maybe the fourth or fifth episode. It's alright it could be better but I am liking it for the most part. I recorded Agent Carter on the DVR but haven't watched it yet. At first I thought it was just going to be a Heroes rip off but its much better than Heroes so far. Not better than what Heroes was when it was brand new but better considered the bar has been raised since Heroes.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3195 on: January 10, 2015, 10:05:41 PM »
Just started Agents of Shield finished maybe the fourth or fifth episode. It's alright it could be better but I am liking it for the most part. I recorded Agent Carter on the DVR but haven't watched it yet. At first I thought it was just going to be a Heroes rip off but its much better than Heroes so far. Not better than what Heroes was when it was brand new but better considered the bar has been raised since Heroes.
If your comparing AoS to Heroes your in for a treat.  Unlike heroes it gets better over time.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3196 on: January 13, 2015, 01:42:27 PM »
I just finished watching Serial Experiments Lain for the first time and...I honestly have no idea what I just watched, but whatever it was it was confusing; boring; and terrible. Usually with series like this, there's some sort of "through line", a basic storyline you can follow even if the deeper-level stuff flies over your head, but this series? This just felt like random **** thrown together with no semblance of order or interest in telling a story. Stuff just happens the entire series with no rhyme or reason...until it doesn't, because Lain's some mystical digital god...until she isn't...except when she is. Bah...this show is widely acclaimed, and I have no idea why.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3197 on: January 13, 2015, 06:38:56 PM »
I finished The Good Wife Season 2 yesterday.

I'm hopelessly hooked on this show right now. I have 3+ seasons to go to catch up to current, and I have a HUGE list of shows returning to the air in the next few weeks, so I don't know how I'm supposed to watch everything.

Season 2 ended on such a good note with Will and Alicia finally hooking up, but every sign saying that they shouldn't. from the desk clerk not attending to them, to all the people in the lobby looking at them, to their being no available rooms.... except the most expensive room in the hotel. Then the elevator being full, the next elevator having most of the buttons pushed, to the room key not working once they finally got up there. It was like everything was against them, yet they were determined to make it happen anyway.

anyway, recommended TV to anyone looking to marathon something on Amazon Prime.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3198 on: January 21, 2015, 02:24:00 AM »
As proof my TV backlog rivals my gaming one, I just finally got around to finishing season 4 of Community. It started slow, and that and overwhelmingly negative impressions caused me to fall away from it and focus on other things, but I went back to it lately and I have to say I thought it was pretty good. Maybe not as good as what came before it, but that's an incredibly high bar.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3199 on: January 21, 2015, 09:08:11 AM »
Just when you think you have figured out Person of Interest it throws you another curve ball. They really don't make shows like this with so much moral ambiguity. Multi-dimensional, multi-faceted characters who you hate yet have redeeming elements or love in spite of the numerous flaws that should make them a villain. It is a amazingly coherent show even with all its complexity and moving parts. While mysteries are abound, there are just as many answers.

Not only is this show the anti-JJ, it raises the bar for everyone else. I am not sure if POI has ever had a bad episode which should be impossible. May the impossible continue.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?