Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1199289 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #2975 on: September 30, 2014, 11:35:08 PM »
Ouch
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #2976 on: October 01, 2014, 06:24:50 PM »
I may be late, but that TMNT season finale was incredible.

And Last Week Tonight continues to be my favorite new show on television.

See, I really like the Nick TMNT show, but the Season 2 finale is driving home my complaints that it's a "kid's show," so nothing serious or of consequence can happen. Just like in the Season 1 finale, Shredder and Splinter have a fight that is basically interrupted and neither of them actually gets hurt. Karai's surprise dunk results in maybe the WORST mutant in the whole series (snake-hands? seriously?) and everybody just retreats. Exactly like how Season 1 ended.

I came on board the Nick TMNT show loving it in spite of what it is (a kid's show) but now I'm starting to dislike it for that same reason. The Kraang plotline never actually moved forward, the Shredder plotline inched forward (Karai accepted that Splinter is her father, but THAT'S IT) and would somebody tell me where all the Season 1 mutants ended up? Plant dude and spider guy and Mutagen Man? They all just kinda got dropped.

I'm depressing myself by writing this.

"Last Week Tonight" is the best show on TV right now. It's like The Daily Show unplugged.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

« Reply #2977 on: October 01, 2014, 10:42:11 PM »
I just finished The Walking Dead Season 4, all I gotta say is the writers of this show are going straight to hell.
3.5/5 stars, this was not the best season.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: October 02, 2014, 09:16:06 AM »
I enjoyed the second episode of Gotham much more than the first one They still make refrences and had another on the nose ridddler joke that only makes the show worse. The Cop, mob, and Penguin plotlines were actually all pretty and the only gripe I really have is the Dollmaker stuff because theirs no point in casting all of batman's rouges as Adults since batman is currently 10. Plus it loses the fact that Gotham is alive itself and how Masked or Flameboyant guys are the next step in escalation after batman beats the mob.

The second episode of Agents of shield watched like it should have been tied with last weeks as a two hour season premiere. It was more of a reaction to what happened last episodes but its better for it and getting rid of the guests have us time to focus on the new dynamics of the main cast. Skye looked like a mini may last episode so 'm glad they turned down her wit just a bit to feature in it. The Mac and Fitz storyline was probably my favorite even if it did end with a Dues Ex Machina machine to stop Crusher. Speaking of which i'm glad they decided not to kill but put him on ice for later. Talbot seems fine for a recurring nuisance, but so far he doesn't seem like a threat at all for someone who spent most of his carrier chasing the huk.   

Manhattan Love Story had everything to appeal to me being a rom com TV series but I probably won't follow it since it will get cancelled.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 09:17:38 AM by shingi_70 »
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: October 02, 2014, 04:09:20 PM »
Gotham - if they stop signposting everything (and stop Mooney from chewing so hard on the scenery) the show will improve. I'm not too fond of some of the decisions and direction in the last episode, the argument between Gordon and his partner would have felt better if they didn't pull the camera back. It made it feel really small and insignificant.

Agents of Shield - I decided to jump back in after dropping out half way through Season 1. It has really improved, although the music is still really obvious and signposty.

Person of Interest - We are being watched. Never a truer word spoken in the context of this show. With the introduction of Samaritan the nature of the show has completely changed over the three previous seasons while the character dynamics have shifted along with them in response to it. The underlying tone of constant paranoia and ever-presence has pushed a little more to the front, and combined with the fantastic score and music choices. This ep really set about drawing parellels to Root and the belief of a higher power guiding their decisions, which in a show that's set entirely around artificial intelligence is very unique.

POI is a far better comic book IP (that isn't, but is basically a 2014 batman) than the two previous shows mentioned above it. I wonder if Khush caught up?

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2980 on: October 02, 2014, 07:53:49 PM »
Nope. Sorry to say I haven't even started. I thought about it getting into a couple times over the summer but I ended up just watching movies instead and, crazy enough, playing more games. However, the number of shows I currently watch has been dwindling. With Mad Men and Parks and Recreation wrapping up this year, there'll be even less I currently watch. Even though it is a shell of its former self, I'll probably still watch The Mentalist as this is most likely its last season and I'm not sure if I'll watch another season of Elementary or not. If I were to pass on those, then I'd probably dive all in on it and just catching up. It just feels like a large time sink right now so I have a hard time getting motivated to do it despite hearing so many good things about it. I also can't binge watch. I can do 3 episodes a night but that's it and I need a break. I don't get how people can watch entire seasons of a show in like 2 or 3 days.

Oh well. Keep the faith. If there is one TV show I'd want to jump into right now, it is Person of Interest so chances are it will happen in awhile.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: October 02, 2014, 11:07:38 PM »
psssh. You need to step up your TV game dawg. Netflixing aka Marathoning is an endurance (couch/bed) sport, and it sounds like someone needs to whip your pansy ass into proper tummy table couch rooted shape.

huh... what do you mean this is the wrong threat and we aren't in the Funhouse? what the **** are you talking about!? anyway....

Person of Interest is Quality TV, and if you are interested in Quality TV and have less than 7 shows on your current roster, then you need to add some PoI to your life.

So what are you watching by the way? make a full and complete list. On and off season shows please.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2982 on: October 02, 2014, 11:17:41 PM »
Yes, its a kids show…and no real consequences can happen.  Except that they do sometimes. 

April's Dad mutated for most of the season. 
Leatherhead lost in Dimension X and possibly dead.

Leo and Splinter are injured.

If people expected that any villain or hero would die in season 2 of the series you are crazy.  It's season 2!!!!  The most important villain and an iconic father figure character isn't going to die. 

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: October 07, 2014, 02:02:14 AM »
psssh. You need to step up your TV game dawg. Netflixing aka Marathoning is an endurance (couch/bed) sport, and it sounds like someone needs to whip your pansy ass into proper tummy table couch rooted shape.

huh... what do you mean this is the wrong threat and we aren't in the Funhouse? what the **** are you talking about!? anyway....

Person of Interest is Quality TV, and if you are interested in Quality TV and have less than 7 shows on your current roster, then you need to add some PoI to your life.

So what are you watching by the way? make a full and complete list. On and off season shows please.

Priority shows:

Mad Men (Wrapping up his spring. So sad.)
Parks and Recreation (Wrapping up this year. So sad.)
Arrow (Entering what should be its prime. Get pumped!)
Survivor (It's 29th season and I still love. Last season was one of its best yet.)

Shows I'll watch but I'm up and down on:

Brooklyn Nine-Nine (Guess I'll check it out again. Had I not checked TV listings I'd have honestly forgotten this show existed. It can have some funny moments but it has yet to grab me like Parks and Recreation or The Office in its prime.)

The Mentalist (Should be it's last season also. It has become a shell of its former self. Part of me still hopes some effort is made to salvage the Red John story after the travesty of how it ended. Or that something is done to at least make things interesting. The charm of the two main characters, Jane and Lisbon, is the only thing carrying this show now. Yet, that charm is compelling enough for me to keep tuning in despite lowering expectations.)

Jeopardy (It is what it is. A daily quiz challenge to see what I know and what I don't.)

The Amazing Race (There are times where this can be a fantastic show in location, scenery, competition and drama and there are times where you realize you are just watching 16 people drink a cup of tea to get a clue leading them to a barren countryside to then unfurl a roll of hay for another clue. Sometimes compelling, sometimes dull.)

Tosh.0 (Sometimes spot-on hilarious, sometimes filth. It's how I prefer to view Youtube/web videos. Its a more adult version of America's Funniest Home Videos. [which has somehow yet to die] You don't know what you are going to get on any given episode but because of the times where the humour and subject matter blend so well, I keep watching for that next comedy high.)

On the bubble but I'll probably stick it out:

Elementary (The problem with this show is that it has shown it can actually be a really interesting take on Sherlock Holmes. Unfortunately, it insists on having most episodes revolve around an investigation of some sort. This can make for interesting television like the Mentalist where if you are paying attention, you can sometimes figure out the solution just before it revealed to you. Unfortunately, Elementary's investigations consist of you following along as the characters just reveal things to you and make the next deduction. The case is slowly being solved the whole time so there's no meta-game to play. Moreover, Season 2 saw the show really stretching with some of their case ideas and uses of technology. If the portrayal of Holmes, Watson and Moriarty wasn't so interesting, I'd probably dump this show and I still might as even that is losing my interest.)

Homeland (It has some interesting ideas and plots and solid acting but unfortunately, it has also gotten bogged down with many logic gaps and pointless developments and terrible character decisions/developments while losing all sustainability of the suspension of disbelief that I was ready to walk away from the show at the end of Season 3. However, it hit a sort of reset button then and the reviews of the current season's episodes are actually pretty positive so I'll probably check it out to see what it is doing.)

New Shows I Intend to Check Out

The Flash (It's the only show so far to share the same universe with Arrow, so I'll give it a shot in the hopes it can keep up with Arrow's momentum.)

Mulaney (I'd like to find a new comedy to watch. Parks is ending and Brooklyn Nine-Nine is still iffy for me. Please no Chuck Lorre suggestions as I said comedy. I've actually seen Mulaney perform a couple of short stand-up sets before and I like him and his brand of humour so that's why I'm willing to give this a shot. Plus, it has Martin Short as well and I've always liked his humour also even if it hasn't resulted in as much mainstream success as other comedians.)

Seasonal TV

America's Got Talent (I adore the Gong Show and this is its spiritual successor. It's not perfect and the Gong Show has the better hosts and judges but it shows enough incredible things to justify its existence and keep me watching.)

Sherlock (It's almost been a year since the last 3 episodes aired. I can't believe it after waiting like 2 and half for the answers to the previous cliffhanger. Another year and half to go for the next 3 I guess.)

Now that may not seem like much but that is because I'm more of a movie watcher. I've currently got a stack of 9 movies I took out from the library sitting by my TV. Tomorrow, I'll be going to see Gone Girl. (Finally! a movie worth watching has been released in theatres). Of those 9 movies, I just finished watching one called Gods and Generals. It was about the civil war and was 3-1/2 hours long. Since you want to know my viewing habits so much I'll let you know what the other titles are. Fruitvale Station, Charly, Leave Her to Heaven, The Hunt, Jeremiah Johnson, There's No Business Like Show Business, Monsieur Verdoux and The Big Parade.

I like movies because most movies are self-contained so even a 4 hour long epic is shorter than a season of Mad Men or Breaking Bad. While TV is now starting to catch up more in the art side of things, most movies have a greater art direction, better cinematography and greater budget to stand above most TV programs.

In the end though, and in this great example I've just made of burying the lead, I had just gotten a pizza yesterday and I didn't feel like starting a movie so I finally watched the first episode of Person of Interest instead. Didn't realize Jonathon Nolan was the producer. It was compelling enough that I watched the second and third episodes tonight so the PoI train is starting to leave the station. So, mission accomplished on your end I guess. I may post some early thoughts about it later if I want to take the time. I got a lot to watch and have Smash Bros. Fever as well.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 05:32:21 PM by Khushrenada »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2984 on: October 07, 2014, 03:21:55 AM »
Extreme POI S1 spoilers: Soon as both Root and Elias appears, the pieces have started to fall into place and will rapidly get better from there. I wonder what blacknmild thinks is the point when it all "clicked" and rapidly improved?

Sidenote, having watched Arrow; it's been consistently good throughout but it's never had the rapid jump to incredible that POI (and even Fringe) did. I'm hoping S3 delivers that.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #2985 on: October 07, 2014, 10:04:48 AM »
Gotham S1E3: Balloon Man

That's it father I shall become a balloon. The show seems to have found its footing really quickly and everything about the show is almost good. I still can't stand the fact that Gordan can afford a High Rise loft on  a cops salary, or that Barbra really is ony thier to tell him she trusts him while wearing as little as possible. Montoya seems more creepy than awesome to me right now which is a shame all things considered. Its funny because I enjoy lil' Catwoman and Batman moments which I was sure would have been terrible. So far its the Penguin, GCPD, and Mob connections which are pushing the show for me.

Star Wars Rebel S1E3: "Droids in Distress"

This episode went up early on Disney XD and for free on itunes. The Spark of Rebellion was quite the pilot, but this solidfys the show as being one of my absolute favorites this season. We get a cameo from a few old friends and the show uses the main objective to tell us a bit more about one of the charterers without resulting in Flashbacks and shows that even though the Ghost Crew is a family they all don't see eye to eye. Maybe the most refreshing thing to see was the fact that the team seems to e taking an OT approach to lightsaber use. They could have easily have K'naan pull out the lightsaber but incited it seems only a few of the 16 episodes will feature lightsaber combat. So far character wise this show really feels like a Wheadon joint and nalot of ways reminds me of Agents of Shield, at least the Coulson, skye, may dynamic is pretty close to K'naan, Ezra, and Hera.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

« Reply #2986 on: October 07, 2014, 12:55:29 PM »
I just started a new comedy show on Netflix called The New Girl, its alright I can see myself watching this for at least one more season before it gets lame/I get bored and move on.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: October 07, 2014, 04:16:21 PM »
I've been watching The New Girl on and off since January. I find it completely unbelievable that Jess' weirdness would as frequently trump how incredibly attractive she is. I find it somewhat distracting that so many of the shows' plots rely on the average dude not being able to handle Jess' quirkiness. They try really hard to make it seem like a negative when I feel like many guys would just deal with it.

Anyway, I'm still in the first season. It took me over a year to finish Fringe and I enjoy The New Girl less. It'll be on my to-watch list for a while.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: October 07, 2014, 05:13:45 PM »
So I was watching Wakfu in its French with Sub way that it was only on Netflix.  I went to watch it Sunday night, having watched it saturday, and bam no warning it had voice acting in Spanish and English as well.

I like the actor voices in French better so I may keep it on French.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: October 07, 2014, 06:48:58 PM »
I haven't watched Mulaney, and at this point, based on everything I've seen, I don't really want to. It's a real shame that it seems to have turned out terribly, since John Mulaney's one of the best stand-ups out there right now and he's got a pretty fantastic cast around him. I've seen people who've seen more episodes say it gets better, but with the terrible ratings and even worse reaction to the pilot I doubt it'll get a chance to recover.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2990 on: October 07, 2014, 08:16:40 PM »
Extreme POI S1 spoilers: Soon as both Root and Elias appears, the pieces have started to fall into place and will rapidly get better from there. I wonder what blacknmild thinks is the point when it all "clicked" and rapidly improved?

You would remember more than I would, but what you said sounds about the time that everything started to amp up a few steps into highly anticipating next weeks episode. I went along with S1, but it was sometime in S2 that you realize this show has come into it's own and was sort of a new age realistic "Batman". S3 was damn good television.

Sidenote, having watched Arrow; it's been consistently good throughout but it's never had the rapid jump to incredible that POI (and even Fringe) did. I'm hoping S3 delivers that.

Arrow is awesomely bad yet highly entertaining comic grit & cheese TV.
PoI is on a completely different scale as it's a completely different type of show as far as I'm concerned.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2991 on: October 08, 2014, 12:33:22 AM »
I do not watch a lot of TV.  And when I do, I will admit it is fluff TV, because I watch TV to disengage not to really engage anything.  That said, you can take my opinions for what they are worth...one man's opinion that uses TV shows differently than others.

1)  Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles:  I love this series.  To me this series is like the 90s cartoon with modern writing style.  The early 2000 cartoon series took the comedy out and went to far into being "cool."  It is a kids show but it never forgets its roots or fans...and that includes playing up the concepts of it being a kids show.  Yes, very few characters will actually die and main villains or heroes will not be killed.  But it still presents a world where loses have consequences and the battles are important.  Which is more than most cartoon shows.

2) The Legend of Korra:  Basically everything I said about TMNT applies here.  The world is fantastic, and the creators are really telling stories that appeal to teenagers learning about the world.  The villains are not simple and the world is not good vs. evil anymore.  I think this show has finally surpassed the original series.

3) Arrow:  These thoughts are only about season 2.  But I think it was one of the best written and action packed TV shows I have ever seen.  The stakes were high, and the story was fun and believable.  There were moments when I thought the writing would make the characters do or say something stupid or not behave in a realistic manner, but then they did.  Not every decision was believable or smart...but most were, and this made the show more powerful.  Arrow season 2 was the best live action Super Hero TV show I have seen period.  And that season alone has brought me to purchase The Flash.

4) Doctor Who:  I began watching Doctor Who at season 5.  I loved this season...but season 6 and 7 began to lose me.  Actually season 5 did as well.  I am sorry, if you are a robot believing you are human does not make you human, ever.  Seasons 6 and 7 just got some complicated and silly I wanted to give up.  But season 8 so far is much better, and feels more like the Davies seasons which were much better in my opinion. 

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: October 08, 2014, 01:29:17 AM »
So Flash is fast. Vibe is annoying. Weather Wizard has a God complex. Zoom is faking paraplegic?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2993 on: October 08, 2014, 01:42:05 AM »
Was the pilot the same as the version that leaked 2 or so months ago?
Do I need to watch the aired version?

edit: aired version has an extra 3 minutes of stuff added.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 06:29:52 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: October 08, 2014, 09:24:34 AM »
4) Doctor Who:  I began watching Doctor Who at season 5.  I loved this season...but season 6 and 7 began to lose me.  Actually season 5 did as well.  I am sorry, if you are a robot believing you are human does not make you human, ever.  Seasons 6 and 7 just got some complicated and silly I wanted to give up.  But season 8 so far is much better, and feels more like the Davies seasons which were much better in my opinion. 

This Season, minus the Dalek episode, feels more like Classical Doctor Who that I grew up with so, in general better.

We watched the most recent episode last night.  I enjoyed it but, its obvious the Doctor is prepping for a new companion.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: October 08, 2014, 10:39:41 AM »

This Season, minus the Dalek episode, feels more like Classical Doctor Who that I grew up with so, in general better.

We watched the most recent episode last night.  I enjoyed it but, its obvious the Doctor is prepping for a new companion.

Who this season has gone a whole lot smaller. Davies' seasons all got bigger in scope with each finale (the world, then the galaxy then all of time) so it's refreshing to pare this all the way back down to something smaller.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #2996 on: October 08, 2014, 02:48:25 PM »
The wife and I watched the first episode of Mulany. It is not good. It's trying VERY hard to be Seinfeld and failing spectacularly.

My wife loves Transparent (Amazon Prime) but it's not my kind of show. I'm totally down with the premise, it's just more drama than comedy despite having several established funny people on it.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine is so great. I mean, SO great. It's our favorite comedy right now.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2997 on: October 08, 2014, 03:56:09 PM »
If you want to watch John Mulaney in something good his stand-up special New In Town is on Netflix, and it's spectacular.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: October 10, 2014, 03:31:16 AM »
I just got around to watching AoS tonite, and then I read this review **SPOILERS**
http://badassdigest.com/2014/10/08/holy-****-agents-of-shield-got-good-in-season-two/

I figured all of you fence sitters, or those of you that dropped out last season due to the sporadic scheduling, to the poor writing and cohesiveness of the first half of the season, or whatever reason you may have had, may find a new interest in the 2nd season as it has improved upon the final 3rd of S1.

Quote from: spoiler free snippet
Agents of SHIELD has become darker in season two, but not oppressively so. Even still, they're going to need a more light hearted episode soon, maybe a team outing that goes wrong or something. But I like what they're doing, and they seem to be laying the groundwork for other exciting avenues of exploration. Season one's Girl in The Flower Dress has split off from Hydra and is doing her own thing for science - could she end up with AIM? Ward's story has lots of possibilities, especially when he inevitably escapes his prison at the mid-season break. Skye has been fixed in almost every conceivable way, and is now a character I enjoy watching. The show's diversity levels have increased nicely with the characters of Triplett and Mac joining the team.

Most of all the show has figured out how to structure their adventures. The three episodes so far have skipped the monster of the week/X-Files investigation format and instead gone for Mission: Impossible style ops and heists. They're going into hot situations and trying to make the best of it - and often failing. It's a better format, one that makes the show feel proactive, as opposed to the story of a bumbling group of doofuses who show up after the main action is over.

It's like Agents of SHIELD read every single complaint about the show and addressed them all. I actually quit the show last year, and now these first three have me sucked in for probably the whole season. Even if there are bad episodes (and I'm sure there will be - 22 episode seasons are too long) I'll know that the writers and producers have cracked the code of how to make this show work, and I'll have faith in them to pull it out. I never thought I'd declare loyalty to this show, but since they've fixed almost everything wrong with it - from the writing to the cinematography - I'm throwing my lot in with Coulson and his team.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2999 on: October 10, 2014, 06:13:33 PM »
Episode 3 got a series low ratings wise - if this continues it's going to get cancelled.