Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1199186 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #2775 on: March 09, 2014, 11:57:50 PM »
Cosmos - **** yeah/10!

Walking Dead - also **** yeah/10!
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

« Reply #2776 on: March 13, 2014, 10:13:22 AM »
I just discovered Till Death on Netflix, I am a sitcom junkie and I thought cool the guy from Raymond who could actually act. So far I am mid way through season 2 and it's losing my interest already. Season 1 was a slow start but it got going near the end, season 2 just kind of feels forced.

I am waiting impatiently for Netflix to get the last season of How I Met Your Mother, I missed the first half, watched a couple random episodes and decided not to watch anymore till I can see them all and Hulu does not have them all so I might catch the finale and then go back once Netflix gets them all.

I have Green Arrow and a couple other super hero shows in my list to watch but I am saving those for the summer when I have more time.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: March 13, 2014, 10:40:43 AM »
The First half of the Last season of How I Met You Mother is a slog.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

« Reply #2778 on: March 13, 2014, 02:19:22 PM »
to be honest I stopped caring once Marvin was born by then the show was clearly dragging on.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #2779 on: March 15, 2014, 02:26:56 AM »
Aw, me and the wife like 'Til Death's first two seasons. The next two...are just bad.

Now, let's talk about True Detective. Anyone want to talk about True Detective? Such an amazing series, so sad it's over. I'm not sure how I feel about the final episode. It was a little too straightforward considering what had come before. I dunno, I have to watch it again.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: March 15, 2014, 02:32:30 AM »
True Detective never did any story twists and always was very straightforward in terms of investigation progress, so why i don't why you expected different in the finale.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

« Reply #2781 on: March 15, 2014, 03:10:02 PM »
I stopped watching Til Death it got real stupid real fast. I think the last one I watched he was learning how to swim or the one with his new convertible somewhere in there.

I moved on to Community, since I just signed up for Hulu I decided to give that a watch through, I've watched a few episodes here and there and it always looked really stupid but seeing it from the beginning I am starting to really like it now. I would say 9/10

Till Death I say 5/10 but I can't watch anymore for a while those last two episodes I saw just killed the show for me.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: March 15, 2014, 05:42:03 PM »
I heard the last season of Till Death is pretty self aware.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #2783 on: March 15, 2014, 09:01:17 PM »
It is, actually. The daughter's boyfriend becomes convinced that he's living in a sitcom. It's a pretty funny subplot.

@azeke: Lots of things kind of left unanswered: why'd he leave Dora Lang's body for people to find it? Why all the references to The Yellow King with no payoff? Why did the Tuttle connection just kind of get dropped? Who killed Reverend Tuttle? What about the "new" case that Cohle & Hart were being interviewed about? That never went ANYWHERE. And the connection to Errol Childress was so poorly conceived: maybe his ears had paint on them? Really? That's the best you can do? What painter gets paint on their ears? And nobody figured that out in 1995?
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: March 15, 2014, 11:26:47 PM »
Lots of things kind of left unanswered: why'd he leave Dora Lang's body for people to find it? Why all the references to The Yellow King with no payoff? Why did the Tuttle connection just kind of get dropped? Who killed Reverend Tuttle? What about the "new" case that Cohle & Hart were being interviewed about? That never went ANYWHERE.
Most of it can be easily figured by yourself or don't matter.

Errol wasn't the Yellow King that was either former head of the cult or even some god that they idolized. Tuttle connection wasn't dropped, it's being pursued, Billy Lee was killed by remnants of the cult (that has long gone inactive).

From what i remember Lange's body wasn't left to be found, but the body in new case was. This is explained using the same simplest hollywood serial killer logic: he wanted to be caught.

Most of the case is is shown in the first two-three episodes, all after that is regurgitating the same facts and they don't introduce anything new.

It's all trivial.

« Reply #2785 on: March 16, 2014, 10:12:54 AM »
I don't have cable so if I can't get it on Netflix or Hulu I don't watch it, and I just got Hulu this past week.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: March 16, 2014, 11:45:25 PM »
GameCenter CX in Budokan:

Amazing. Mario segment went a bit too long though, they should have cut majority of Arino's lame play there (seriously, how one person can be told not to jump repeatedly and go under Bowser, yet still jump time after time after time after time).

Derby Stallion segment was especially touching. Ogawa finally made it!

Veronica Mars The Movie:
It's like two-three episodes of the show. Which is great. Rather violent and talky. I forgot most of the cast, but it was still nice to see some familiar faces.

The outcome in terms of shipping is kinda shakey, but i gather they went for fanservice here (after all this entire thing IS fan-service and fan-paid).

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: March 17, 2014, 10:20:51 AM »
Can I just say that sometimes child actors are absolutely horrible.
Last night's TWD was a prime example of that.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: March 18, 2014, 04:05:48 AM »
Rick and Morty 1x08 Rixty Minutes

AAAAAAAMAZING!

With last say three episodes R&M has now overtaken Futurama in the "sorta sci-fi, sorta comedy" genre.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: March 20, 2014, 01:15:10 PM »
Psych s8e9

The funniest episode of this show in a long time, if not ever.
Gus has nightmares. Goes to see a "Dream Shrink".  Good times are had.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2790 on: March 20, 2014, 04:22:44 PM »
Person of Interest - DAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMN. The Machine must be orchestrating all of this. Root with the Firmware Upgrade was another touch of brilliance.

Continuum season 3 started this week and finally set about a clear set of instructions with how time travel works too.

I watched Believe also this wee. The chemistry between the young girl and the lead actor is surprisingly good.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 04:27:12 PM by Plugabugz »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: March 22, 2014, 02:26:01 PM »
Psych - Series Finale ;_;

It was a good episode. with a few surprise celebrity guest appearances
another friend of a Cosby kid & Val Kilmer
a connection was made that was unexpected by me
since they moved to SF, Monk was still in operation, and working the case
and it was actually quite touching near the end.

Hopefully they do follow up with that unexpected connection. A Xmas or Halloween Special or something.

« Reply #2792 on: March 24, 2014, 04:49:41 PM »
I am all caught up on Community, I am not liking this new season as much. I won't go into why but part of it is losing Chevy Chase, he was the hook that got me into the show. I also did not care for the VHS episode, it almost ruined those two characters for me entirely. I still like the show but I can tell it is going to a place I don't want it to.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #2793 on: March 24, 2014, 09:48:25 PM »
Yeah, the show is moving in an awkward direction after Chevy and Donald left. There's clearly a void, and for like one episode it felt like Abed's new girlfriend might fill one of the roles, but I don't know where that story's headed. I don't think Harmon knows where to take the series now.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: March 25, 2014, 02:07:04 PM »
Rick and Morty....

Holy **** is this show funny. I mean, it's intelligent, quick, and the plot scripting is top notch. There's never a need to wrap things in a nice little bow if the show's starting premise doesn't allow for it or is too short to begin with. It just keeps rolling because the characters allow them to.

Speaking of which, Rick is the best character on TV, cartoon or otherwise.

EDIT: There's some references to past episodes so you may want to start from the beginning, but honestly, just jump in where ever. Every episode has been close or near perfection so far.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: March 25, 2014, 02:44:12 PM »
Rick and Morty....

Holy **** is this show funny.

I've been meaning to check this out based on some praise I've seen regarding it. The look of the show was a bit of a surprise though. I though it would have looked a little different.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: March 25, 2014, 04:58:47 PM »
Yeah...I can see that. It grows on you. I'm amazed sometimes by how ridiculous the animation is.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: March 26, 2014, 10:24:28 PM »
Psych - Series Finale ;_;

It was a good episode. with a few surprise celebrity guest appearances
another friend of a Cosby kid & Val Kilmer
a connection was made that was unexpected by me
since they moved to SF, Monk was still in operation, and working the case
and it was actually quite touching near the end.

Hopefully they do follow up with that unexpected connection. A Xmas or Halloween Special or something.

Do Not Click this pic until after you have watched the Series Finale of Psych.
http://i.imgur.com/RXYNLaH.jpg

do not travel back in time with this video until after you have seen the Series Finale of Psych... and clicked the pic above
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4nXIRXlT_20

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: March 27, 2014, 12:58:08 AM »
I've tried watching True Detective ep1 about 3 times now....

either I have ADD and don't get what the **** they are talking about*, or this show is extremely boring with their monotone talk throughout the episode that causes me to constantly let my mind wander while I stare at the screen.

I keep hearing how awesome this show is, but I can't get into it.
and I even tried to watch episode 2, but the monotone was so monotone, that I eventually forgot I was watching it when I got up to do something real quick and didn't come back for 15 minutes... forgot to pause.

Can someone please just give me the Episode 1 summary of what's going on in this show (who they are, what/who they are investigating) so that I know I haven't missed something. If you must spoil part of ep2 to do that effectively, then do so. Nothing to lose at this point if I never get into the show.

*I kinda understand what's going on, but it's all guess work. I feel lost and therefore losing interest in continuing. help. It doesn't help that I've only tried to watch it later in the night, not exactly late night, but for some reason the monotone nature of the show makes my mind wander... or attention to focus on something else.

ps. Why does Woody look younger in the present interview than he does in the flashback investigation?

Were you still interested in knowing about this or seeing it? Also, do you watch Mad Men or like it because I would compare this series closer to that type of show and drama?

The point of True Detective isn't really about the case. It is more a study of these men and their journey through life which in the show revolves around this case. If you like classic film noir, (and who doesn't? That black and white bleak stuff is awesome!), then that is the vibe of True Detective. Like Film Noir, the focus isn't to much about the case. Often times, the case is so convoluted and twisting it is hard to keep track off. The most famous example is The Big Sleep with Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Becall and a question about a character called Taylor who was killed.

Quote from: Roger Ebert
"One day Bogie came on the set and said to Howard, 'Who pushed Taylor off the pier?' Everything stopped." As A.M. Sperber and Eric Lax write in "Bogart," "Hawks sent Chandler, (the author of the book), a telegram asking whether the Sternwood's chauffeur, Owen Taylor, was murdered or a suicide. 'Dammit I didn't know either,' " Chandler recalled.

Film noir is about an attitude and mood. The main characters do a lot of brooding and commenting about the cruel world they live in and the hardboiled people they encounter in it. True Detective is that style. If you aren't invested in the two leads and their life journey's than I don't think you'll ever find the show appealing to you. If you're looking for a complex twisting mystery with surprises, this isn't what the show is focusing on and it lays out the mystery and steps along the way to solving it pretty plainly.

I realized that pretty soon while watching the first episode. I've watched them all over the past few days. Then I read a bunch of reviews on them. It's interesting to note there were all kinds of theories going around and people were expecting some kind of twist or surprise to the mystery and were disappointed there wasn't one. So, if you do get into or decide to watch it, be prepared on that front. Or you can just read the quick episode summaries on Wikipedia, look up best of Rust Cohle quotes and call it a day.

@azeke: Lots of things kind of left unanswered: why'd he leave Dora Lang's body for people to find it? Why all the references to The Yellow King with no payoff? Why did the Tuttle connection just kind of get dropped? Who killed Reverend Tuttle? What about the "new" case that Cohle & Hart were being interviewed about? That never went ANYWHERE. And the connection to Errol Childress was so poorly conceived: maybe his ears had paint on them? Really? That's the best you can do? What painter gets paint on their ears? And nobody figured that out in 1995?

Just to address some things to your questions. Dora Lange's body wasn't the first to be left out in the open. Rust was able to start figuring out there was a serial killer by looking at other dead bodies found to start seeing a pattern. But Dora Lange's body was found by a sugarcane field that was being burned down and I always thought was that the intention was for the fire in the field to have spread and consumed the body but it didn't happen and that's why it was found like that. Plus, there is the fact that there was a great cover-up going on with people in the police force involved with the cult so there could have been other instances of bodies found that were covered up. There was the Christian Task Force which was implied to be set-up to take such cases and handle them presumably so that they could be further covered up.

I thought the Yellow King was the serial killer but in the end, I wasn't really following that part of the investigation that closely. I guess the Yellow King is the leader of the cult whoever that is which to me is implied to be the governor Tuttle or whoever the head of the Tuttle clan is. The Yellow King is who the cult follows as evidenced by Dora Lange's diary and is powerful enough that he can keep anyone from squealing on the group and keep it undercover. The Yellow King is mainly used as a way for the detectives to follow the trail leading to Childress. They don't mention it to others so when it is brought up, then they know they are on the right trail. Like Cohle said in the end, The Yellow King wasn't their man. They got their man which was Childress. Therefore, despite the Yellow King probably being behind some awful things, he wasn't the killer of Dora Lange. I also think the Yellow King part is left open as sort of a way of keeping fear open to the viewer. Sort of like how Hannibal Lector escapes and disappears at the end of The Silence of the Lambs. That chilling killer is on the loose still. Evil still roams.

The Tuttle connection didn't get dropped. It got covered up. The old maid woman who starts talking about Carcosa when Rust shows her the stick figures was a servant in the Tuttle house and I thought she brought up that Childress was a child of Sam Tuttle but with another woman than his wife. At the end, when the media is covering the story, you hear a reporter say that the allegations that Childress is a Tuttle relative are being denied (or were proven false) I can't remember the exact wording. Still, the point is, the powerful Tuttle family is already covering up their involvement and link to Childress and Marty and Rust know this but can't prove anything further and aren't going to prove it further. It's not their case anymore. It will be left to the other detectives really to move forward on it if they can since they now know the details from their interviews with Rust and Cohle and they are the ones handling the rest of the investigation from that point on.

Rust speculated that the cult killed the Reverend Tuttle for losing the pictures and videotape Rust found in his safe. Billy Tuttle obviously told someone in the cult about the theft and they killed him to cut that link in case he was blackmailed or was exposed. That's what Rust theorized and told Marty in the storage shed.

As for the other case, the two other detectives found another victim like Dora Lange and they had evidence of Rust being around the area. Thus, he was their prime suspect and they interviewed him and then Marty to find out more of how the earlier investigations were handled because they suspected Rust was behind the whole thing and covering his tracks and blaming other people to get away with it. They basically tell Marty their suspicions and evidence as to why they are interested in Cohle concerning this new victim but Marty rejects their hypothesis. From that point, they keep their eyes on Marty and Rust as shown when Marty meets the one younger detective before heading out to see Childress. He questions what Rust and Marty are doing at his private security firm all the time and wants to know what sort of leads they are pursuing about the case. They just don't have enough evidence to go after Rust yet or get a search warrant. We see them later trying to follow up on some of the details that Rust and Marty gave about their '95 investigation when they run into Childress to verify the facts. That's what their investigation was about.

I'll agree. The green paint connection was a weird way to crack the case. They were going a better route with the sheriff Childress who covered up the Marie Fontenot's case. Surely a connection could have been made that way. We even see the killer painting a school and yet he isn't sloppy enough there to have paint over his ears, (at least that I noticed) nor was it like he was wearing a mask that left his ears exposed while he was painting. But then, he didn't exactly look like he had spaghetti for a face either. I just thought that was supposed to be a mask like the other members of the cult wore. In the end, I just accepted it because the show wasn't about looking for clues. We were only going to learn about things as the detectives learned about them. This wasn't a show where you are given suspects and evidence have a chance to figure out the ending like say a Mentalist Episode. Rather, you are just coming along for the journey.

What bothered me even more was the cliché of the cellphone having no signal when getting into the killers house and then both detectives individually going into killer's maze system. I get you don't want the guy to get away after all this time but you are clearly entering into a place which you have no idea what the layout is, what's in it or have any back-up if he gets the drop on you. Not to mention, he is taunting and leading Rust on the whole time. Clearly, he isn't worried and has a plan to kill you. I would wait until a whole search force arrived and then go in after him. I'm just saying dumb, dumb, dumb in my head the whole time. Yet, I was also tense and nervous about it all so it accomplished what it was supposed to do.

Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

« Reply #2799 on: March 27, 2014, 08:30:34 PM »
I just got caught up on Season 3 of Last Man Standing. I loved the first season, but two and three are already winding down. At first I liked it because it felt like a remake of Home Improvement, then the more I watched it the more I realized it was just a remake of Home Improvement... currently 7/10 it could get better I like the characters, I like most of the cast and I do like the premise because I loved Home Improvement but it's starting to re-tread ground they already covered which is too soon for a show barely into it's third season.

Mostly I am traditionally more into comedies, especially 3 camera laugh track old school style sitcoms, but I like to get into other stuff. I just got Hulu Plus and I have been backed up on my Netflix log for a long while now but that will change this summer once I get caught up.