Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1198926 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #2700 on: December 13, 2013, 02:14:10 AM »
I thought Arrow had kind of dropped off the last couple episodes with some moments I had a hard suspending my disbelief for. But this episode totally made up for it all and was one great scene to the next with moments I expected handled well combined with ones not expected.

I think everyone kept expecting Barry trapped in the particle accelerator. Then when he was watching the news from lab with all the bottles and lightning striking, I was wondering how or why he would suddenly get there. Were they actually going to go with the classic Flash origin? In a way, they found a way to blend that classic with new. But I had hoped to see Barry Allen using his powers before once.

Things are happening on the island much faster than anticipated. I thought the Shado/Slade/Ollie triangle would play out this season and end with some division between Slade/Ollie. With Oliver spending 5 years on the island, I wondered if the island flashbacks would carry on for 5 seasons and then at the end of those 5 seasons, we'd either know if Slade is dead or alive and see him arrive as the big villain for a possible season 6 at that point. The way the island story is going now, I wonder if the writers are deciding to wrap it up and keep everything in the present. The flashbacks were often a great part of the show but this episode, I found the present scenes more exciting and interesting which is rare.

Unless there is a surprise with Shado, I did not expect her death so soon especially with all that has happened this season for her to go out suddenly like this was a woah moment. I kept thinking Slade was going to pop out at any moment and save her and Ollie but he came too late instead. My only problem with it is that I never got that much sense of a relationship formed between her and Ollie or her and Slade. Just the beginnings of a possible relationship with either one. So, her death wasn't as impactful as might be hoped. Tommy's death was much bigger in comparison since he got a whole season to grow and have more of a connection with viewers and the main characters. It was actually really great seeing him again briefly this episode. In fact, I think I like his cameo more than Malcolm's from the last 2 episodes.

Again, the fact that Slade was shown to be a prominent business man of some kind in Starling was not something I saw coming or anticipated having Slade join the present day so soon. I thought Rochov was going to be the main villain of the season but then that changed to Brother Blood and then possibly Ivo who could be aiding Brother Blood in the present day from his time on the island but now it could be Slade. The threats to Ollie are piling up. And there is still the daughter of Ra's Al Ghul to come into play yet. On the subject of Rochov, I wonder if she is also working for Slade and sent to take over Queen Industries for Slade's plan of taking down Oliver.

With the way things are going on this show, probably won't have to wait long for an answer. And I'll just say that Felicity is now my favorite character on this show. The writers always give her some funny line each episode usually a double entendre of some sort. In this case, her Jewish background. Any plans for Christmas? Light my menorah. Comedy gold.

Even Laural wasn't annoying! Top notch stuff.

Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: December 13, 2013, 09:23:49 AM »
Watched Episode 5 of Almost Human.  I'm upset it didn't start in the Bar with Rudy.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: December 17, 2013, 02:42:07 AM »
American Dad - Another amazing christmas episode. They seem to have these seasonal episodes down perfectly.

Family Guy - Any show that features a time machine as a core component of the show can use it to undo any changes. And so Brian came back. Plus it was obvious he was coming back because he was mentioned in titles of future episodes

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: December 22, 2013, 01:34:26 AM »
Up to the second episode of Almost Human. A very strong episode. As long as they keep the writing strong and shenanigans high like a knife in the leg and trashing MXs, I will keep watching. I wish they didn't load the pilot with an over arcing mystery. The character interaction between Dorian and John is more than strong enough to hold the show together without a mystery box to bait you along.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: December 23, 2013, 09:29:02 AM »
I finished Futurama. I liked the ending. It was probably my favorite of the four intended endings to the series and I thought it was appropriate to use time travel and being frozen in time as plot points. They keep it open for movies or any sort of follow up stories, but you know, I think this one works and I wouldn't be upset at Futurama being left as is. When Fox unceremoniously cancelled Futurama in 2003 (albeit unofficially), the show didn't feel like it was finished. The producers didn't have a chance to tie up loose ends and write an appropriate end with a gradual move in the direction to an appropriate conclusion. I'm glad they finally did because Futurama is a show that really deserved it and had the talent to do so in a really great way.

Three of my favorite shows ended this year (30 Rock, Breaking Bad, and Futurama) and I feel like they all did well wrapping up. I'd contrast that to Lost where it didn't feel like the writers were prepared for the end even though they had 17 episodes to get there. They kind of stalled until the final three or four episodes (and that's being generous).

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: December 23, 2013, 10:39:03 AM »
Coincidentally, i also finished Futurama last night. I actually thought that i've done with it when finale aired but apparently i missed most of the Season 7. Which is understandable because of how terribe some of the episodes in season 6 were. They went too topical and satire for things i can onky shrug at (like Scooby Doo, Smurfs and other things i can't even recognize).

The ending was really good though. They even managed to give good ending to Zoidberg.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: December 27, 2013, 05:14:31 PM »
Rewatching Nu-who and just got to series 2.

But i'm mostly here to talk about this year's christmas episode. I haven't watched any Clara related episoides but this and the 50th so her as a character, but she seems to be the worse character traits of both rose and Martha, being a deux ex machina and having the whole unrequited crush plot line. The story itself it worked as a culmination of everything that had played out till than similar to the last episode of Tennnt's run being a culmination of all the story points to the end. I did like how the ending was much less bombastic than the end of time however, while that story action and bombast up to the end this was much more held back in terms of action.

Out of the three things I've seen to celebrate the 50th this has to be my least favorite but on its own its probably the 2nd best of the modern christmas episodes.

Overall of what I've seen of Eleven's reign I like it alot less than 9 and 10's. I found the RTD period to be much more fun and campy as well as having massive world building with things like Sarah Jane Smith and Torchwood. I kind of hated how Moffait pretty much ignored all of that world building and having most of the spin offs killed off. I would love to see audio drama or something about Miracle Day or Unit. Plus I felt like time rectoning modern day humans knowing alien's existed was terrible.  I think **** like that goes against the essence of who

Taking it as seperately however the series was pretty damn awesome with Amy and Roy being the 2nd best companions on the show thus far
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: December 28, 2013, 06:48:57 PM »
I kind of hated how Moffait pretty much ignored all of that world building and having most of the spin offs killed off.

Torchwood is on ice because of RTD. Sarah Jane Adventures was cancelled because Elizabeth Sladen died - neither of those are to do with Moffat.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: December 29, 2013, 02:37:42 PM »
@shingi I always felt that Amy was just Rose if Rose picked Mickey (and if Mickey were killed like 18 times and erased from existence.)

That said you're top two companions is heavily flawed without the inclusion of The Brigadier and Donna as 1 and 2 respectively.

I kind of hated how Moffait pretty much ignored all of that world building and having most of the spin offs killed off.

Torchwood is on ice because of RTD. Sarah Jane Adventures was cancelled because Elizabeth Sladen died - neither of those are to do with Moffat.
Torchwood should have ended with Children of Earth

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: January 08, 2014, 12:47:35 AM »
Well my picks were only from Nu Who

I'm watching Micrale Day and I like the monster of week stuff more. I do like the new Torchwood team, and the idea that if Unit is the whoniverse equilvent of shield, that makes torchwood the Secret Warriors of the universe.

I kind of hope during Calpai's regin we see another Torchwood series and more older who actors come back. Was a bit miffed we didn't see Jack or Mratha interact with 11.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: January 08, 2014, 03:56:10 AM »
A reveal was made about Agent Coulson tonite. It was a very WTF moment and kinda creepy.

Pretty good episode overall.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: January 08, 2014, 09:10:05 AM »
Well my picks were only from Nu Who

I'm watching Micrale Day and I like the monster of week stuff more. I do like the new Torchwood team, and the idea that if Unit is the whoniverse equilvent of shield, that makes torchwood the Secret Warriors of the universe.

I kind of hope during Calpai's regin we see another Torchwood series and more older who actors come back. Was a bit miffed we didn't see Jack or Mratha interact with 11.
Torchwood Jumped the Shark when it stopped being monster of the week so pretty early.  There was a great Paramount show that aired after Enterprise's first season that should have been what Torchwood was more like.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: January 08, 2014, 03:31:12 PM »
I dont think it jumped the shark so much as they kept killing off cast without replacing them.

It MD and COTE actually make sense from a narrative direction l, when the who series itself always played with the fact that the doctor the walking deus ex machina won't always be their. We see it pretty well in Turn Left were the world goes too ****. It makes sense that stuff like the two torchwood series.

That's why it never made sense that the doctor was pissed at Torchwood blowing up the ship in the Christmas episode.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: January 08, 2014, 06:18:25 PM »
Person of Interest - This was a great episode, especially with how they split all the groups from each other and played Cat & Mouse, but it turns out that the morse code the machine played to Control was REAL!

(The scene when Control brought the phone in it starts beeping. From there.)

http://www.reddit.com/r/PersonOfInterest/comments/1up00n/decoded_the_morse_code_spoilers/

This show continues to impress me with how they keep juggling story arcs, some times over a season later, and just bring it back into the mix.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: January 08, 2014, 08:22:41 PM »
Sherlock Season 3, episode 1.

Motherfucking brilliant! It's less of an episode and more of a feature film. I didn't think they could have topped themselves after season 2, but they managed it with stylish British flair without breaking a sweat while wearing tweed.

RE: Torchwood. He was pissed because the Doctor doesn't like unnecessary killing. Also the aliens were mean to serve as a warning to the rest of the universe that Earth was "Protected". He clearly outlined his intentions to the PM after old Torchwood blew up the ship. Unless I am mistaken as to which episode you are referring to....

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #2715 on: January 08, 2014, 09:58:31 PM »
Sherlock 3x01 was underwhelming. Way too much fluff.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #2716 on: January 08, 2014, 10:23:22 PM »
Sherlock s03e01, bloody brilliant. That is all.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: January 08, 2014, 10:55:43 PM »
Sherlock s03e01, bloody brilliant. That is all.

What?! I have to side with Azeke a bit on this one. Wasn't going to say anything until I see all the episodes of season 3 though so just you wait and I'll tell you how you were wrong. Ha ha ha.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: January 08, 2014, 11:10:16 PM »
There were what... two "cases" this time? One took less a minute and the solution was super underwhelming and the other one was somehow even more underwhelming.

Oh and here is a new mysterious villain in the shadows in the end!.. Totally not Moriarty puppet master kind of guy!.. See, he wears glasses and he's older! Nothing similar at all!

The entire episode was more about relationship between Watson and Holmes which is fine if you swing that way. Some of my best friends like sappy romantic comedies too... Not like i judge that kind of stuff...

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: January 08, 2014, 11:35:51 PM »
This episode was more about Watson and Sherlock, which I don't mind at all. For what it's worth, the next episode was like ten times better.

EDIT: Why are you guys behind?

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #2720 on: January 09, 2014, 01:04:17 AM »
Oh, I'm not behind, Oblivion. I was just stating the same feeling toward episode one as oohhboy had done.

And yup. The next episode is just as fantastic, too.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: January 09, 2014, 03:17:53 AM »
Sherlock Season 3 ep 1 - There was a lot of padding going on in this episode judging by the amount of tube scenes. Take all of that padding out and it probably came up 7-10 minutes too short.

But living in London, and knowing the tube, it's amazing how they managed to screw that up how badly.

Video in the footage is a Jubilee line train thats round, clearly. Yellow shaded handrails. Watson is on it at the start. Bomb is on a District line train that's got green handrails, and is square.

Pull up a Tube map and lookie here http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/the-london-underground-lines-in-sherlock-are-all-wrong

Never mind there is no abandoned sections of track or sidings in that area.

At least do it properly.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 03:20:24 AM by Plugabugz »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: January 09, 2014, 03:43:07 AM »
You can't do it "properly". They are not going to shut down a working underground system just to shoot a film no matter who you are. Its a case of making do with what they had and editing it together.

I watch Sherlock mostly because of the interplay between Sherlock and Watson as well as their friends (Molly <3). Your crime procedural are a dime a dozen. If you want one of those, go watch Law and order, SVU, CSI #, NCIS #, Bones until your brains bleed out of your ears. You watch Sherlock for what Sherlock has, or you might as well watch Elementary for all the good it's going to do you.

It's the same with Almost Human, future crime is cool, but it's the shenanigans between Dorian and John is why I stay. Trashing MXs never gets old.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: January 09, 2014, 04:08:50 AM »
Sherlock Season 3 ep 1 - There was a lot of padding going on in this episode judging by the amount of tube scenes. Take all of that padding out and it probably came up 7-10 minutes too short.

But living in London, and knowing the tube, it's amazing how they managed to screw that up how badly.

Video in the footage is a Jubilee line train thats round, clearly. Yellow shaded handrails. Watson is on it at the start. Bomb is on a District line train that's got green handrails, and is square.

Pull up a Tube map and lookie here http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/the-london-underground-lines-in-sherlock-are-all-wrong

Never mind there is no abandoned sections of track or sidings in that area.

At least do it properly.

I think the appropriate response to this is "who gives a ****?" To people complaining about the lack of "cases" or small details being wrong... oohhboy is completely right. What makes Sherlock special is the cases but how Sherlock, John, Molly, Mrs. Hudson, Lestrade, etc. interact and play off one another (especially Mary. She's adding a very nice third party role to the Sherlock/John dynamic that just tickles my fancy. Doesn't help that Martin Freeman and Mary actress are dating in real life so they have just great chemistry).

In any case, what tube scenes do you think counts as padding?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: January 09, 2014, 04:16:11 AM »
All of them where it's just showing things but normally would be cut as its extraneous. Like Watson going to Baker Street. Things like the footage itself is fine, but lots of establishing shots and the like was used and they just kept going.

In comparison, episode 2 was fantastic and zippy to the point where it felt as dense as normal - but Sherlock's speech awkwardly dovetailing into realising there's a murderer in the room was very well acted.

For most people the complaint i pointed out may fall into "who cares?" but when you use it in daily life it tends to snap you out of it. Especially as everything else has been quite accurate up to now.