Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1199331 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #2625 on: October 23, 2013, 11:27:51 PM »
Walking Dead S04E2 - Awesome/10.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: October 24, 2013, 03:46:35 AM »
Dumb question.  If blinking activates the backscatter/x-ray vision, wouldn't her handler notice that the SHIELD agent blinking isn't activating the backscatter?

I don't think that's how it worked. But the handler should have noticed that there was no more blinking (because it was a pair of glasses, not and eyeball).

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: October 24, 2013, 08:07:51 AM »
Yeah, that's what I meant.  There was no blinking when the backscatter was activated.

Also, he could totally see his white-man hands when he took down that guard.

Fairly decent episode... and I'm nit picky... but still...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: October 24, 2013, 09:15:34 AM »
Well, He might not be overly observant that way since he was also being handled the same way.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: October 24, 2013, 09:33:33 AM »
Person of Interest - GOTDAMN SON!!!

"Gross" - LMFAO

Shaw and Det. Carter - Beautiful and deadly. Watch The F*** OUT!!
These women do not play.
Shaw I was aware of, but Carter just stepped her game up to level 11. She just crossed a line she can't come back from, but she had to play her hand. And play it well she did.

This show is like, What If!?
What if there were 2 Batmans, 1 Robin and an Oracle. They were licensed to kill and willing to do it.
They have an unlimited bank account and access to all the info they will need. No costumes. No Toys. And they always play for keeps.

Carter is totally badass, the final 10 minutes or so was incredible. Another brilliantly written episode. Root at the end, my jaw was in the floor

1- The look of terror in Laskey's face, at the end, was amazing. He knows he was just put totally in his place.
2 - Shaw being beaten by a 10 year old.
3 - Semeen hearing about the death of her father, then immediately replying "I'm hungry. Can i have a sandwich?". Such a devastating line.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 09:38:20 AM by Plugabugz »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: October 24, 2013, 09:35:10 AM »
Well, He might not be overly observant that way since he was also being handled the same way.

True.  But I'm inclined to think his handler could also see what she was doing and such.  Otherwise, his handler wouldn't have the secret code that was on the wall yet...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: October 24, 2013, 01:03:03 PM »
Person of Interest - GOTDAMN SON!!!

"Gross" - LMFAO

Shaw and Det. Carter - Beautiful and deadly. Watch The F*** OUT!!
These women do not play.
Shaw I was aware of, but Carter just stepped her game up to level 11. She just crossed a line she can't come back from, but she had to play her hand. And play it well she did.

This show is like, What If!?
What if there were 2 Batmans, 1 Robin and an Oracle. They were licensed to kill and willing to do it.
They have an unlimited bank account and access to all the info they will need. No costumes. No Toys. And they always play for keeps.

Carter is totally badass, the final 10 minutes or so was incredible. Another brilliantly written episode. Root at the end, my jaw was in the floor

1- The look of terror in Laskey's face, at the end, was amazing. He knows he was just put totally in his place.
2 - Shaw being beaten by a 10 year old.
3 - Semeen hearing about the death of her father, then immediately replying "I'm hungry. Can i have a sandwich?". Such a devastating line.
That awkward hug at the end was great

and Root will be playing the role of The Joker in this adaptation of The Goddam Batman.

which is all relevant with the Batman reference Shaw made just before that awkward hug.
"ward of a billionaire recluse"

to refine the characters on this show

Finch = The Billionaire Bruce Wayne & The Oracle
Reese = The Goddamn Batman
Shaw = Nightwing? Katana? (Cassandra Cain)
Carter = The Street Level Robin
Fusco = ....Gordon?
Root = The Joker

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: October 24, 2013, 11:57:57 PM »
Speaking of Batman, I just watched Arrow S2 Ep3.

Ras Al Ghul trained Merlyn. He also trained Black Canary. TRAINING IS NOTHING! THE WILL IS EVERYTHING! WHEN A FOREST GROWS TO WILD A PURGING FIRE IS INEVITABLE AND NATURAL

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: October 25, 2013, 02:04:04 AM »
Solid episode of Arrow all in all. That little tidbit was completely unexpected and just the perfect capper to the episode. Although I was about to fist pump that Merlyn was back but alas, it was just a tease. Still, after Merlyn referenced Nanda Parbat last year, people drew that conclusion about his origin but thought that was as far as the show with go inferring who trained him. And it helps explain why he had the solution he did for the Glades.
Now it looks like the writers are being given more and more freedom to access what they want from the DCU and the show is getting better for it. Maybe it has something to do with Agents of Shield and DC and WB finally realizing they have some competition and can work together to make their product better instead of the blocks that occurred during Smallville which always hampered it.

It's not perfect and the biggest problem usually has to do with the plot involving the villain of the week usually dragging things down or creating the biggest plot holes and logic gaps. But the rest of it all with the characters dealing with their lives and situations and secrets is top notch. If they can just tighten up that one bit, they really have a lot of potential right now of making this the best live action superhero show ever. (Which might still belong to Batman '66).

With the season so far, Arrow is fast becoming my most anticipated show of the week.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 02:06:06 AM by Khushrenada »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: October 25, 2013, 03:12:10 AM »
That awkward hug at the end was great

and Root will be playing the role of The Joker in this adaptation of The Goddam Batman.

which is all relevant with the Batman reference Shaw made just before that awkward hug.
"ward of a billionaire recluse"

to refine the characters on this show

Finch = The Billionaire Bruce Wayne & The Oracle
Reese = The Goddamn Batman
Shaw = Nightwing? Katana? (Cassandra Cain)
Carter = The Street Level Robin
Fusco = ....Gordon?
Root = The Joker

I disagree with Fusco, he's something like Gordon but he's the comic relief for the show.
I would argue that Root and The Machine are both the joker, seeing as she is now the Analog Interface for it and the machine is self-governing now

But i still 100% agree. POI is absolutely definitely the live-action Batman now. Unofficially.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 03:14:06 AM by Plugabugz »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: October 25, 2013, 04:50:41 AM »
So Fusco is Alfred?

Person of Interest is Batman with a gun

Arrow is Batman with a Bow
But on Arrow. Arrow has been awesome. Arrow is exciting hero TV.
They keep things moving and I like that. If DC & The CW comes through on their The Flash series as well as they have on Arrow, then at least they will be beating Marvel on the TV front.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: October 25, 2013, 10:54:23 AM »
I guess I need to start watching Arrow.  I really didn't care for Smallville, so I had been avoiding it.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: October 25, 2013, 12:59:10 PM »
I guess I need to start watching Arrow.  I really didn't care for Smallville, so I had been avoiding it.

As someone who likes smallville I can understand why it would be off putting. However Arrow comes from a much different mold with the first season being much more like a Batman Year One tale. It has the usual CW love stories but action wise its up there with Nikita and Supernatural.

Dat Felicty plus Trick Arrows are the best
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: October 25, 2013, 02:29:20 PM »
Well, if you do start watching it, I guess I'll give you a bit more info to give you a more complete picture.

Season 1 starts off OK. It's not exactly the most compelling show but it scratchs that whole superhero / comic book itch enough to keep you pleased and entertained enough to stay with it. Plus, the people on the show are obviously trying to start incorporating feedback from the audience and start making adjustments to what works and doesn't work. But after about the first 10 episodes in, they've basically found their groove and have started to set-up the big season storylines. The show starts to ramp up viewer interest. And then by about the 18th episode or so, I had no problem recommending this show to anyone. It's been harder to convince people who watched Smallville to give this show since there was a version of Green Arrow on that show for a few seasons but this iteration is completely different.

The show gets compared quite a bit to Batman Begins or Spiderman and as you watch it, you'll see why. The look of it and some of the character situations seem to mimick it or give off that vibe that, even if I hadn't told you this, you'd probably end up thinking that yourself at some point. While the Batman influence / imitation is something the Green Arrow character has always struggled with even before he was on TV, there are enough differences that still make him his own unique creation such as how he has no problem killing villains and is dropping bodies almost every episode. One thing the show does right is focus more on those differences while downplaying the similarities as much as possible.

One of the better choices they've done is focus more on his time stranded on an island where he learned to become the Green Arrow. Moreover, it has allowed the show to have two stories in one. There are stories and mysteries from his time on the island in the past and stories and mysteries from his time back home in the present. The great thing about that is, instead of having just one show of his time in the present or one show of his time in the past for instance, they can avoid having filler material and spinning their wheels for awhile as well as keep things moving along at a nice pace.

That is one of the greatest differences between it and Smallville in that things move forward. Smallville spent way too long with the whole Clark/Lana romance and it falling apart because he was hiding something along with other such subplots. While Arrow may have the characters mope and angst about a situation for awhile, it generally doesn't last longer than 4 episodes until it is resolved and they move on. I mean, I know that since it is the CW, it is going to be marketed more to the high school crowd and so there is going to be some relationship drama or teen angst to appeal to that crowd. It mostly comes through the Thea character. However, I'm thankful it is not played up to the level that Smallville would take it at times and it just seems to be better handled and a bit more subdued as well that I can live with it and not roll my eyes or hate the characters. Unlike Smallville which dragged out the progression of Clark to Superman far longer than it should have been or really worked, with the character of Oliver Queen, and also the others around him, you can see a real progression being made as they keep adapting to the new situations facing them.

On the minus side, I've only now begun to warm up to the main character of Oliver Queen. It's not that there's nothing wrong with the actor or his portayal per se. It's just that the other characters have more interesting personalities or are given better moments to shine. With Oliver Queen, since he is hiding his identity and lying about what he does and really is, you don't often get to see him just be himself. And when he is, he's usually pretty serious and focus on his mission of trying to save his city. He even admits during the show that he is trying to keep people or form too much of attatchment to them since he doesn't know how it will end for him. Having him be semi-detached from people seems to have a similar effect on the viewer with myself only being semi-attached to him. Fortunately, as the character has been able to start opening up more and formed some attachments, it's also helped in my warming up to the character.

But the same can not be said for the character of Laural Lance which is a problem since she's a major character in the world of Green Arrow. I think the biggest issue with her is that it just seems every episode, they use her to get on somebody's case about something or half the time put her life in danger and they don't give her much else.

The episodic plots can be hit or miss and as I mentioned in a previous post, the one thing that the show could tighten up on. But the same was true of Smallville and its Freak of the Week episodic nature. It was the long running subplots that helped carry it through that and it is the same thing with Arrow with the secondary plots usually being the more interesting developments in an episode. While they moved slowly at first, the show seems to have found the right pacing for them and so there always seems to be little new developments each episode to keep you coming back for more.

If I were to use a 1-10 scale to rank it with 1 the worst and 10 the best, I'd rank the majority of Season at 7.5 with it moving up to 8 at the end. Season 2 has been about an 8.3 or so. With the material they currently have to work with and a few more adjustments and tighter scripting, this show has the potential to get to 9 or higher. Even if that doesn't pan out, it is still at a pretty good spot.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: October 25, 2013, 02:37:12 PM »
I, on the other hand, am getting quite curious about Person of Interest now from BnM and Plugabugz descriptions. I never hear anything about this show except from this site. From the promos of it years ago, my take on it was that it was a guy who had invented a system to track people and he had hired someone to then find people he tracked on the computer who were of a villainous nature and capture them or maybe take them out. It didn't really grab my interest and I never heard much about it or anyone talk about it. It was something I just thought would probably get cancelled and disappear from the air without anyone really noticing.

However, what you are describing has me very intrigued as to what this show really is and maybe start watch the beginning of it a bit to see what I think of it.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2640 on: October 25, 2013, 02:40:47 PM »
Because of them I watched the first episode on CBS website I could find, S3ep1, and if someone would have told me this was pretty much in the same genre as The Pretender I probably would have watched it originally.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: October 25, 2013, 06:52:30 PM »
I, on the other hand, am getting quite curious about Person of Interest now from BnM and Plugabugz descriptions. I never hear anything about this show except from this site. From the promos of it years ago, my take on it was that it was a guy who had invented a system to track people and he had hired someone to then find people he tracked on the computer who were of a villainous nature and capture them or maybe take them out. It didn't really grab my interest and I never heard much about it or anyone talk about it. It was something I just thought would probably get cancelled and disappear from the air without anyone really noticing.

However, what you are describing has me very intrigued as to what this show really is and maybe start watch the beginning of it a bit to see what I think of it.

Person of Interest is about a machine that was created to monitor everything (street cam, ATM's, phones, etc etc). The creator thought it was too powerful and may be used for the wrong things, so he hid the machine and instead uses it to protect people that are in need. The machine will spit out numbers, usually through a phone call with an automated voice, and those numbers usually indicate a person (SS# is the usual number string). It's up to this guy to figure out if they are preventing something bad from happening to this person, or stopping them from doing something bad. That is why he ("Bruce Wayne/The Oracle") hired an ex-special ops agent (now dubbed The Goddam Batman*) to carry out the physical aspects of these missions.

I too casually watched the first season thinking it would get cancelled, only to be surprised by the good ratings and the announcement of a 2nd season. It is now in it's 3rd season and the last episode that aired (3x05) was one of it's best yet.

*Jim Caviezel was actually in the running to be new Batman, which would have been kinda perfect considering that is pretty much the role he plays every week, voice included. All he had to do for the audition was show them a highlights reel from the show.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: October 25, 2013, 07:25:15 PM »
Person of Interest has a very Nolan feel, and it is filmed beautifully on location in New York City.

Reese likes to shoot people in the kneecaps.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: October 26, 2013, 02:48:50 AM »
American Horror Story.....

What in the F*** did FX just get away with putting on TV!?

Did anybody else watch the most recent episode? I'm gonna go baptize my eyes now.
They need to be reborn with new innocence.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: October 26, 2013, 06:26:41 PM »
Person of Interest has a very Nolan feel

This is because the creator and showrunner is Jonathan Nolan - who has cowritten nearly all of Christopher Nolan's movies, including the Dark Knight trilogy.

If you want to see what Jonathan Nolan can do as director, watch season 2 episode 16 called "Relevance". He wrote and directed that one himself.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 06:28:24 PM by Plugabugz »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: October 30, 2013, 02:45:55 AM »
Supernatural - just violated my trust. I feel betrayed.

This episode was about Dorothy and the Wicked Witch of the West.
Yes you are reading that right. From Fucking Oz.

WTF. I feel that the show may have just fell off a cliff for me right there. Worst filler episode ever.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: October 30, 2013, 04:11:43 AM »
Supernatural fell off a cliff when they killed Satan.

There is simply no topping that.

Still want to check out remaining episodes.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: October 30, 2013, 05:42:44 PM »
Person of Interest - Root and Shaw have an incredible chemistry. Root and Finch have an incredible chemistry.

Amy Acker has an incredible chemistry with everyone.

I really thought they wouldn't top last week, but somehow they managed it. Why The Machine decided to send Root/Shaw in seperately to Reese/Finch makes me wonder why that hacker is important. The potential for all these characters is very interesting.

The Blacklist - I don't watch this properly, except to see if its as  terrible as it seems. It is. But i love James Spader's voice.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 05:55:35 PM by Plugabugz »

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: October 30, 2013, 11:59:53 PM »
I'm also a fan of Person of Interest and mainly started watching it because I like both Michael Emmerson (Finch) and Jim Caviezel (Reese).  I was also afraid it would get cancelled early on in season one, but I think they really turned a corner after they introduced Elias for the first time.  It's currently my favorite show.

It's a little cheesy, but this scene from season 2 where Finch discusses the meaning of Pi while undercover as a  teacher  is still one of my favorite PoI moments:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDWpb5b1qVc

As far as Batman analogies go, why wouldn't Fusco, especially season 1 Fusco, simply be Harvey Bullock?
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: October 31, 2013, 04:31:14 AM »
AV Club seem to both hate Hostages and The Blacklist (the former getting the first F since the Dexter series finale), so i'm having a little look at both to see if its as bad as they say.