Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1198967 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #2425 on: August 17, 2013, 10:06:01 PM »
Wow Seriously?  Torchwood went down hill from the first season.  It started strong got week. Matt Smith was a good Doctor.  David Tennant as well.  Eccleston was junk.  Easily my least favorite Doctor.  Though I have a feeling that you both have a short history with Dr.Who.
there are only 18 serials of the classic series in netflix, don't blame me.

Smith was pretty good but it felt like he was held back by writing (fish fingers and custard, SERIOUSLY!?!?)

Tennant was absolutely excellent, he seemed to work well with absolutely everything around him.

Eccleston was pretty good as well, when the revived series began the Doctor had just come out of the Time War and was struggling to recover from its effects on him (something that would continue on in Tennant and to a lesser extent Smith's careers).

Slyvester Mcoy i cannot make a judgement on(only one of the serials on netflix features him)

Jon Pertwee I am really enjoying what i've seen of him so far. neat little story idea of having him stuck on earth but the next episode netflix does has him being able to leave so screw you bbc

thats all i can say atm.

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: August 17, 2013, 10:44:47 PM »
Not all of them but I did see most of the old ones and the movie too. Even the old movies that were just barely had anything to do with Doctor Who. To be honest though Doctor Who/Torchwood is about the limit of my tolerance of British tv shows so it could be that too.

As for Torchwood, yes the first season was the best but season two was still mostly good, three was alright but I just hate how it ended. As far as I am concerned the Miracle Day never happened.

As for the old Doctors, I really only liked the first two and then the one from the movie.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 10:47:09 PM by toddra »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: August 17, 2013, 11:00:23 PM »
Have you watch Sherlock? Because holy **** you should watch Sherlock. Forget about the knock off show called Elementry. It will put some cream and sugar in that British cup of tea you have a low tolerance of.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #2428 on: August 17, 2013, 11:20:27 PM »
Yeah, oohhboy speaks the truth. BBC's Sherlock is incredible. I cannot wait until series 3 begins. Cumberbatch and Freeman are an amazing pair - their on-screen chemistry is so good that it's scary.

As far as Doctors go...Ceric, you're crazy! Eccleston is fantastic. I've gone through all of the classic Who episodes listed on Netflix, and if I had to rank them in order of favourites, it would probably go like this:

Tennant, T. Baker, Eccelston, Pertwee, Troughton, Smith, Davison, McCoy, and Hartnell.

I can't really include Colin Baker, as I haven't seen any of his serials yet. Soon, though. But, sheesh, his Who attire is crazy weird. It makes McCoy's question mark walking cane seem modest. Also, Smith and Davison are kind of interchangeable for me. There are episodes where I like Smith, and then there are those that I absolutely despise him. I blame this mainly on Moffat and his daft writing and storytelling. I can't wait until the show gets some fresh blood in it.

Peter Capaldi should make things really interesting.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: August 18, 2013, 01:58:28 AM »
I tried to gt into that whole Who thing.

I checked out one episode with Ecclestone guy. His mannerisms annoyed me so much i turned it off after 15 minutes.

And it's not really about this actor, because i LOVED his performance in Shadow Line (one of the best mini-series i've seen in years, highly recommended, it's pretty gruesome but actors work in it was almost hyptnotic for me, that's how good it was).
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2430 on: August 18, 2013, 03:17:49 AM »
Sherlock's alright, but it's far from the brilliant piece of TV Nirvana it's made out to be. For one thing, at least 2 episodes out of the 6 they've made downright suck (the middle episodes of both seasons), mainly because their flimsy stories just couldn't withstand being stretched out over a 1.5 hour run time.  Hell, even the good episodes feel like they're crawling to the finish line by the end, leaving me feeling more exhausted than content.  I also just didn't care for that show's Moriarty in general, who was more a wannabe Joker than a puppet master Kingpin of Crime.

That said, I do really like Benedict Cumberbatch as Holmes, and the show's Watson is alright.  The show also does a really good job of updating the character for a modern setting.

I am looking forward to the 3rd season, but I find the show's format extremely lacking.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: August 18, 2013, 09:59:31 AM »
Here's the problem,

Eccleston is easily one of the Grittiest doctors.  I don't like that style of Dr.Who.  Tennant was a return to a more traditional Doctor and had some stories to support that.  Smith, who I think is a good doctor, unfortunately had the Gritty Eccleston style stories to work with for the most part.  Smith is the victim of where they wanted to Arch the Doctor.  Honestly the whole Time Wars nonsense should have never happened.  Its only hurt the series in the long run.  Especially since they didn't dedicate any TV time to it.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: August 19, 2013, 03:39:26 AM »
Well, I finally got around to watching the latest episode of Beware the Batman and...it's a Metamorpho episode. To be fair to the show, this is a better introduction than Justice League's double-length version of his origin story, but I've never cared for this character. It's odd because his backstory is very similar to Clayface & Twoface's (two "tragic" Batman villains I really like), but there's just something about the character that just strikes me as...lame.  Maybe it's his haphazard character design or the fairly arbitrary nature of his powers.

Overall, some solid animation & a pretty decent episode overall. I just hope this character doesn't pop up much in this series.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #2433 on: August 19, 2013, 09:47:24 PM »
Arrow 8/10 pretty good..... for DC!
Made you look ****.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: August 23, 2013, 11:05:09 PM »
So... Teen Titans Go!

I can't decide if I like this show or not.  Very strong mixed feelings.  It's fun, but it also makes me sad on how they ended the other series.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2435 on: August 23, 2013, 11:50:36 PM »
I like it. It's Chibi-camp. That makes me smile. We're not getting the old show back, so I just got over it and decided to enjoy what we have because it's good in its own way.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: August 24, 2013, 12:42:58 AM »
So... Teen Titans Go!

I can't decide if I like this show or not.  Very strong mixed feelings.  It's fun, but it also makes me sad on how they ended the other series.

IT'S SO DUMB, ****

Seriously, ONLY IN THIS SHOW could they have Beast Boy say **** like "swag". Seriously, this new "show" is an insult to the fans of the original show.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: August 24, 2013, 12:57:23 AM »
So... Teen Titans Go!

IT'S SO DUMB, ****

Seriously, ONLY IN THIS SHOW could they have Beast Boy say **** like "swag". Seriously, this new "show" is an insult to the fans of the original show.

Indeed. I gave up on the show after the 2nd episode.  I'm perfectly fine with "dumb comedy", w/ an emphasis on randomness and simpler comedy. The "wacky" episode of the original series are among my favorites, but TTG is just STUPID humor.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: August 24, 2013, 01:01:09 AM »
You lasted that long? I gave up five minutes into the first episode. Hell, I knew it was going to be bad but I had to see it for myself.  I just hope that one day they'll revive the original show and continue the path they were heading.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #2439 on: August 25, 2013, 08:46:22 PM »
watch in the night garden with two little brothers then start complaining!:
Made you look ****.

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: August 25, 2013, 09:44:42 PM »
I guess Lost girl did last more than one season but stupid Netflix only has a few episodes so maybe I will wait till they get more and give it a second chance.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: August 26, 2013, 12:23:40 AM »
Obligatory holy **** Breaking Bad comment.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: August 26, 2013, 06:56:08 PM »
Heh. I wouldn't say there has been a shocking or unreal moment yet like, say, the One Minute episode or Face/Off episode. So far, it has just been a steady flow of tension as the dominoes start falling one after the other. Not getting too high or too low.

That said, I think next episode or the 5th episode in will be the one that might launch this season into the stratosphere. It was the 5th episode in last time that we got Dead Freight which I think was the highlight episode last year but with the way things are at now, it may be sooner that we see an episode of that caliber. Or maybe it will just stay on this even keel of tension as things move to their inevitable conclusion.

And now a bit of musings on the show involving a bit of spoiler/speculation.

So, all we have seen of the future is that Walter is still alive and returns to ABQ with some mission in mind. There are 5 episodes left. Do you think most of the characters are going to survive until the last or second to last episode and then start getting offed? Half live, half die? Almost everyone lives? The current speculation is most die with people hoping that Jesse is one of the few to survive but it seems unlikely. That said, with only 5 episodes to go, do you think the writers/creators would really wait until the end to start killing people off? I have a feeling it might start sooner with one major character after the next biting the bullet a few episodes in a row so as to show more of the fallout for each loss and keep escalating the situation.

Or do you think most everyone can stay alive for another 3 episodes and keep raising the stakes and stretching the situation further? If you look at it like that, I could see the writers being able to keep everyone alive until that point. Right now, the person most in danger of being killed is Pinkman because of where he is at when this episode ended but that could be overcome and left to simmer. And yet, if you get there with mostly everyone in tact, is it really going to be that big a deal to start whacking a bunch of them?

If instead most of the characters actually survive at the end, would you be satisified or does the show now require multiple deaths to meet expectations? Just something I've been thinking about today on the show.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: August 26, 2013, 07:35:18 PM »
Obligatory holy **** Breaking Bad comment.

Hot damn. Broke bad.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: August 26, 2013, 08:48:59 PM »
Heh. I wouldn't say there has been a shocking or unreal moment yet like, say, the One Minute episode or Face/Off episode. So far, it has just been a steady flow of tension as the dominoes start falling one after the other. Not getting too high or too low.

That said, I think next episode or the 5th episode in will be the one that might launch this season into the stratosphere. It was the 5th episode in last time that we got Dead Freight which I think was the highlight episode last year but with the way things are at now, it may be sooner that we see an episode of that caliber. Or maybe it will just stay on this even keel of tension as things move to their inevitable conclusion.

So, all we have seen of the future is that Walter is still alive and returns to ABQ with some mission in mind. There are 5 episodes left. Do you think most of the characters are going to survive until the last or second to last episode and then start getting offed? Half live, half die? Almost everyone lives? The current speculation is most die with people hoping that Jesse is one of the few to survive but it seems unlikely. That said, with only 5 episodes to go, do you think the writers/creators would really wait until the end to start killing people off? I have a feeling it might start sooner with one major character after the next biting the bullet a few episodes in a row so as to show more of the fallout for each loss and keep escalating the situation.

Or do you think most everyone can stay alive for another 3 episodes and keep raising the stakes and stretching the situation further? If you look at it like that, I could see the writers being able to keep everyone alive until that point. Right now, the person most in danger of being killed is Pinkman because of where he is at when this episode ended but that could be overcome and left to simmer. And yet, if you get there with mostly everyone in tact, is it really going to be that big a deal to start whacking a bunch of them?

If instead most of the characters actually survive at the end, would you be satisified or does the show now require multiple deaths to meet expectations? Just something I've been thinking about today on the show.

You know, I almost feel as if Jesse has to die.  He's the most volatile, unstable character in the entire show, and he's been saved so many times simply because Walt sticks his neck out for him.  With Walt finally in a position opposing him, I can't see Jesse staying safe for the remainder of the season.

I see next week's episode, "Rabid Dog", as being the episode where Walt begins losing control over the situation.  Clearly his home has already been invaded by Jesse kicking-in the door and tossing gasoline all over the place.  Walt is no longer able to keep his home as a safe haven for his family, and somehow Walt Jr. is becoming aware of not knowing everything, if the preview for next week's episode is any indication.

The 3rd to last episode is titled "Ozymandias", after a poem that has an overarching message of "the inevitable decline of all leaders, and of the empires they build, however mighty in their own time".  Walt is already losing control of those around him, and he's running out of allies.  I don't think we'll see a major character taking a trip to Belise until this episode, and i'm still conflicted as to how many people I expect to get killed.  If I were to guess, besides Walt, I'd say Hank will die from his attempt to capture Walt at any cost, Jesse's irrational actions will finally catch up with him, and Skyler will be collateral damage. 

Regardless, I've enjoyed every episode so far, and can't wait to see what twists and turns they throw us through next.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #2445 on: August 27, 2013, 01:12:13 AM »
Finally got around to watching Cowboy Bebop (I know, right?). Holy CRAP, people. SO GOOD.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: August 27, 2013, 08:32:44 AM »
Finally got around to watching Cowboy Bebop (I know, right?). Holy CRAP, people. SO GOOD.

You make me want to watch it again, if anything, just for the music.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: August 27, 2013, 12:21:58 PM »

Cowboy Bebop is the only anime I can tell someone is good without the qualifier "for an anime".

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: August 27, 2013, 12:48:14 PM »

Glad to see you're enjoying it. Just enjoy the episodic episodes while they last. IMO, 4 out of the 5 "plot" episodes (the Julia/Vicious/Spike ones) kind of suck (particularly the anti-climatic ending). Thankfully, the rest of the series more than makes up for it.

Incidentally, look forward to that series coming out on Blu Ray from Funimation later next year.  :D
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 12:52:29 PM by broodwars »

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: August 27, 2013, 01:10:01 PM »

You know, I almost feel as if Jesse has to die.  He's the most volatile, unstable character in the entire show, and he's been saved so many times simply because Walt sticks his neck out for him.  With Walt finally in a position opposing him, I can't see Jesse staying safe for the remainder of the season.

I see next week's episode, "Rabid Dog", as being the episode where Walt begins losing control over the situation.  Clearly his home has already been invaded by Jesse kicking-in the door and tossing gasoline all over the place.  Walt is no longer able to keep his home as a safe haven for his family, and somehow Walt Jr. is becoming aware of not knowing everything, if the preview for next week's episode is any indication.

The 3rd to last episode is titled "Ozymandias", after a poem that has an overarching message of "the inevitable decline of all leaders, and of the empires they build, however mighty in their own time".  Walt is already losing control of those around him, and he's running out of allies.  I don't think we'll see a major character taking a trip to Belise until this episode, and i'm still conflicted as to how many people I expect to get killed.  If I were to guess, besides Walt, I'd say Hank will die from his attempt to capture Walt at any cost, Jesse's irrational actions will finally catch up with him, and Skyler will be collateral damage. 

Regardless, I've enjoyed every episode so far, and can't wait to see what twists and turns they throw us through next.

Hah. After my post, I decided to look up and see if I could find out what the next episode titles were and turns out they are all announced. Next week's title is Rabid Dog and if you have a rabid dog, you generally have to kill it so it really seems like Jesse might be going down. However, it is possible the rabid dog could refer to Hank and his relentless pursuit or possibly the neo-nazi meth operation. You just never know.

Still, Jesse has been the right hand man of Walt since the beginning really. They've gone through a lot stuff together and saved each other countless times. Even if they have grown apart, at one point, Walt referred to Jesse as a son when Walt Jr. was looking after him. I really felt the desert scene with Walt recommending a change for Jesse was a genuine moment with Walt actually caring about Jesse even if the advice did fit Walt's agenda. There's been a lot of talk of the horrible actions Walt has committed to get to where he is. Would him killing Jesse be the worst of all? The final damning of Walt? And yet, if he does, I don't see much blowback towards Walt. It almost seems like it would help solve even more problems he's currently facing.

The sixth episode is title Ozymandias like you mentioned and I agree that something big happens to cause Walt to flee using the new identity resource and his empire/control crumbles like the death of Skylar or a family member. The seventh episode is Granite State which ties into the New Hampshire plates and suggests a flash forward as we see what life is like living on the run and what happened to his family if he abandoned them in Ozymandis. He's probably keeping tabs on them and something happens that he has to go back. The final episode would be Walt's last stand and the flash forwards as he returns to ABQ.

The theme of the season is Remember My Name. But which name? Walt or Hiesenberg? Is that why he returns? After losing everyone he built up, he goes back to unleash a one-man war against the Neo-Nazi Meth Empire and once more stamp his name in the desert? I think back to early on in the show, Hank gave Walt Jr. a book about how some law officials brought down some drug kingpin saying that he wanted Walt Jr. to read it because people often know the names of the bad guys but not of the good guys who brought them down. The point of Ozymandias was about trying to build great works that would last after death and achieve immortality. Might that be part of why Walt returns? To try and achieve that immortality?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.